NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
the note I referred to earlier is viewable here (enlarged):
http://chapelboro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Note-image.jpg
Again, I think several of the hand-scrawled letters are interestingly formed, and if released 2 years ago, some combination of them might've been recognizable by someone (even if writing on a paperbag has misshapen the person's usual handwriting). By now it may be too late (the person could be in Bolivia by now), and so many memories are faded (2-yr.-old memories, that CHPD are calling for, often aren't even reliable).
As soon as I saw this note, my immediate reaction was that it had been written by a woman. IMO only.

Thanks to those who posted the new links. The note is very interesting, though disturbing. Jamie, I also get the impression it was penned by a woman.

Here are some of the documents released yesterday. The autopsy is not included, although it was released. It seems there is a very obvious person of interest, IMO, but I cannot tell whether he refused a DNA test. I think there are two people involved in this murder, JMO.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/page/13954827/

Story: http://www.wral.com/newly-released-docs-detail-police-s-case-in-unc-student-s-murder/13954237/

Whew, Boodles -- That was a lot of homework:lookingitup:! And a lot of good info:findinglink:! A big :tyou:. Lots of folks can go on a list, but it's certainly better than no folks. Now to digest. I've been away yesterday & today, so I'm a bit behind.

What a tangle of people. Love triangle? If so, which three? Sounds like, as I had thought earlier, that Rosario's ex was a pocket of bad change. And I can imagine FH trying to tell her roommate that ***** was a bad guy & to carefully dump him. Very suspicious individual, IMO... ETA: by this I meant the male, not the roommate.

Thinking....

As soon as I saw this note, my immediate reaction was that it had been written by a woman. IMO only.
My thoughts when I read it, too. I'm not absolutely convinced, but as I said before, the words "*advertiser censored*" and *jealous" sound feminine to me. We'll see... and I wonder if we'll ever know...

Has anyone seen an approximate time-of-death released (I don't recall it it, but could've missed it -- the gap from 3am in the morning to 11am is pretty wide, and surely they have it more pinpointed)? I ask because I'm still trying to comprehend how the assault could be so brutal and yet neighbors not seem to hear anything unusual (unless I've missed something there as well?). I would think either Faith was drugged, or knocked unconscious very early on, or she was killed much closer to the 11am time when perhaps neighbors would've long left for work/school -- but that would be broad daylight, wouldn't someone have seen something noteworthy??? (and LE has long implied that the death occurred during earlier hrs.)

Anyway, LOTS of info in the released files (and even a lot of the redacted parts can be pretty easily filled in now).

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1283962-hedgepeth-case-files.html

As Borndem says, quite "a tangle of people."

Seems like LE is really focused on about 2 people, but, short of a DNA match, hard to imagine what further evidence they hope to get at this late date… doubtful any further "hard" evidence will be uncovered, and anything in the way of memories or verbal reports is essentially hearsay at this point.

BTW, my earlier question of where the fast-food bag came from appears likely to be Wendy's, though I'm still not sure how that fits in the timeline.

And thanks to all who are posting links.

Wow. I wonder who is refusing to give DNA. Seems there are at least a few who oughtta be compelled to just based on circumstances alone. I have some pretty strong thoughts on who I think was involved, and I hope he is caught because he strikes me as a narcissist and a sociopath. IMO.

I am really stymied here -- seems to me, LE has had the material that Boodles found for us for quite some time... Unless they are waiting for a DNA swab to clinch this deal, and the person refuses to give it, what more will they get?? As soon as they find a DNA match to the semen, they will have enuff probable cause to issue an arrest warrant, and things should get down the road. If the semen is FH's bf, and there's no other, then they may remain stuck. And what good are fingerprints if the suspect has been in that apt before? So that would not be enuff. LE may certainly be watching a particular suspect, but that would only be useful if probable cause was determined, and then they would know where to find him/them.

They're just hoping, and it's reasonable but IMO a slim-chance deal, that someone will remember something... And surely someone did see or hear something. Let's hope LE is closer than we think.

And one thing I try to never forget -- years ago, I spoke with the Chief of Police of the Raleigh PD who had retired to the coast of NC (he lived across the street from my in-laws' vacation home), and I asked him how they were able to find & arrest so many suspects, and he said two words: "People talk."

Justice for Faith and her family.

ETA: And Webthrush, I have not seen a TOD, either, but I am not hopeful that it will be a narrow time. The more time that elapses between death and an examination, it seems the less accurate estimate for TOD will be. That's been my observation through many of these cases. I don't think it will be a big help -- but I could be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yes, people talk! I think several people have info, but I suspect they are either also complicit somehow and therefore afraid to speak, or afraid to divulge because of fear of repercussions from the killer(s). I don't have any facts to substantiate, it's just a feeling.

What at I don't understand is why FH send KR were both texting with TJ around 3am (if I'm deciphering correctly). If there was a restraining order, why did they want him to come over to see KR? Am I confused about the people who were texting each other? I don't think so...

Webthrush, I haven't seen the time of death reported. It may be noted in the autopsy report. It's interesting that no media shared the autopsy report. They definitely have it, I saw a reporter flashing the pages in a news segment.

There was no forced entry. It had to be someone she either let in, or who had access via a key, or the door wasn't locked.

What I don't understand is why FH send KR were both texting with TJ around 3am (if I'm deciphering correctly). If there was a restraining order, why did they want him to come over to see KR? Am I confused about the people who were texting each other? I don't think so...

confusion... it was actually BE (I won't state the name) they were texting not TJ.

One of the POIs has connections to major NBA player. They were arrested together as teenagers while that player was considered the #1 recruit in the country. A female was also arrested with them.

Also did they look at the guy who gave Faith's roommate a ride?

This is always the first case I look for updates on whenever I sign in to WS these days. Breaks my heart. From poking around the web it seems that some civilians closer to the case believe that the roommate might have more information than she has shared to this point. When I think of the message left on the fast food bag, it had to be placed there by the killer after the murder. It was placed on the roomate's bed. To me this looks like a message intended for the roommate. A threat perhaps.

I have a really stupid question,Can you tell from a fluid sample if the person is a non secretor?Do they just not have any DNA or Do some DNA profiles not match up because of not enough protein in the sample but still have partial DNA?
I am thankful to all of you on Faith's Case,I new Borndem and Boodles would be here.

Several things:

1) I find Ven's idea that the note on the bag was written after the crime (by the perp) and intended as a message to the roommate KR, interesting.

2) I'm still not clear if LE has looked at handwriting samples from various persons-of-interest for comparison to the bag-note -- surely they did?

3) though the new information that is out seems like a lot (compared to what was known before), it really doesn't seem like much for a supposedly 2-yr. intense investigation. But, according to press, "100s of pages" were released, including the autopsy report, so I assume there's still a LOT more to be seen, but when?

4) Various car searches were done, but I've seen no report of the findings there (or does that mean nothing of significance was found in those searches?)

5) the text messages from Faith to BE at 3:40 and 3:43 were released, and then there is mention of short calls from KR to someone (I'm not quite clear if it's BE or JB, though I think BE) at 3:44, 3:52, 3:55, and 4:14 -- I assume those were actual calls, and not text messages? She then leaves around 4:30 -- again I'm not clear if she left with JB, BE or someone else?

The texts by FH seem clear to me:
she types "Can you come over here please. Karena needs you more aha. You know. Please let her know you care." and then 3 minutes later, texts: "than".
I presume the latter one-word text was meant as a correction to the first auto-corrected text that should've read, "Can you come over here please. Karena needs you more than you know. Please let her know you care."

So I'm guessing it's BE who comes by at 4:30 to pick up KR and take her to JB's place (but just a guess, and why? -- convenient for her to be gone during the critical hours). Then Faith is alone (and several know she's alone); then what???

6) not clear to me how many sought-DNA samples from POIs were ever obtained (seems like at least two never were collected?)

Finally, "cuffed" I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly or not, but as long as the DNA is not degraded (which in this case it wouldn't be) the only reason I can think of not to get a match, if the perpetrator gives a sample, is if the perpetrator were "chimeric" (has multiple sets of chromosome profiles in their body -- a rare but possible condition), and the sample taken is from body cells that don't match the crime scene, even though other cells from same individual would.

There's an awful lot more info that the PD must have but still hasn't appeared in press.
Enough for now. There is going to be moment of silence for Faith on campus today at noon, marking the 2-year anniversary.

If I'm interpreting the docs correctly, I'm curious to know if DNA samples have been collected from KR's former boyfriend with the restraining order against him (TJ?), the person who walked out of the club with FH that evening (DB?), and the roommate of KR's friend/ride whose cell phone was used in vicinity at 4:15am (JB?).

5) the text messages from Faith to BE at 3:40 and 3:43 were released, and then there is mention of short calls from KR to someone (I'm not quite clear if it's BE or JB, though I think BE) at 3:44, 3:52, 3:55, and 4:14 -- I assume those were actual calls, and not text messages? She then leaves around 4:30 -- again I'm not clear if she left with JB, BE or someone else?

The texts by FH seem clear to me:
she types "Can you come over here please. Karena needs you more aha. You know. Please let her know you care." and then 3 minutes later, texts: "than".
I presume the latter one-word text was meant as a correction to the first auto-corrected text that should've read, "Can you come over here please. Karena needs you more than you know. Please let her know you care."

So I'm guessing it's BE who comes by at 4:30 to pick up KR and take her to JB's place (but just a guess, and why? -- convenient for her to be gone during the critical hours). Then Faith is alone (and several know she's alone); then what???

bbm. Just read through articles again and saw this: "They also sought a swab from Jacob Beatley, a resident of West Longview Street in Chapel Hill in June 2013, where Rosario told investigators she went at 4:30 a.m. Sept. 7, hours before discovering the gruesome scene in her apartment. Rosario told investigators that a friend, Jordan McCrary, gave her a ride to the Longview Street home, where she stayed until midmorning."Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/05/4124003/court-documents-unsealed-in-search.html#storylink=cpy

There sure were a lot of this crowd up and about in the middle of the (school) night that night.

Investigators hope a note scribbled on the back of a fast food bag leads them to whomever killed a University of North Carolina Chapel Hill student two years ago.

Among the new information police released in Faith Hedgdepeth's murder case was a note with the words, "I'm not stupid [expletive]. Jealous." It was scribbled on the back of a fast food bag and found in her apartment near her body.

Police say that despite a 300-page case file and traces of the killer's DNA all over her apartment, they're still nowhere closer to finding whomever killed her.

"What we lack now is that key piece of information that can help us connect the strong case with the killer," Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/chilling-n...ina-college-students-murder/story?id=25326268

Responding officers found Hedgepeth's body in an apartment bedroom in the View apartment complex located at 5639 Old Chapel Hill Road Sept. 7, 2012.

Her body was found sitting upright against a bed with her shirt pulled up. Hedgepeth, a University of North Carolina junior, had no clothes from the waist down, police said.

Her body was found in a pool of blood and blood spatter was found on the wall and bedroom closet door, police said.

Chapel Hill Police said a note found on the bed is believed to be from the killer. Police said written on a fast-food take-out bag were the words, “I'm not stupid” followed by the words “*****” and “jealous.”

An autopsy revealed Hedgepeth died of blunt force trauma to the head, authorities said.

Police said DNA from semen collected through a sexual assault kit matched other DNA found at the crime scene.

Authorities believe the DNA belongs to Hedgepeth's murderer.

Through search warrants, police collected hundreds of DNA samples during the investigation. Chapel Hill Police said no match to the DNA found at the crime scene has been made. Police said some people have declined to provide DNA samples.

"We've conducted an extensive investigation and we have excellent evidence. This is a very strong case. What we need to do is connect that case to Faith's killer," Blue said.

Much, much more historical information at this link: http://www.wncn.com/story/26450980/police-release-note-left-by-faith-hedgepeths-murderer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe