GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I have used Craigslist and other online sites including online dating. That doesn't mean I am a risk-taker. It just means I like to buy things cheap and I like meeting people outside of a bar setting.

I, also, do community meetups, but we meet in public places to exchange. Usually at a Walgreen's parking lot! LOL! That is a far cry from what was going on. Here is a case that is going on right now that shows the danger of strictly sexual meetups of any kind, created by online means. Before it is said, I understand you can get hit by a car by crossing the street kind of thing. But that does not mean that there are not activities that are considered high risk! Openly advertising for sex (not dating) with strangers absolutely is one, no matter how you want to try to slice that pie. And I do not doubt that Aaron will have plenty that comes back on his psychological profile. I think Crystal is going to have a harder time with being help responsible, since she doesn't have such a crazy leg to stand on. Here is the case I am referring to. She was murdered while on a scheduled sexual meetup, arranged by her husband- who was charged because he took part in setting up the risky and dangerous meeting that led to her murder- not actually taking any part in the murder:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Adams-25-Blanchard-09-Dec-2011-*ARREST-MADE*

I disagree. I have used Craigslist and other online sites including online dating. That doesn't mean I am a risk-taker. It just means I like to buy things cheap and I like meeting people outside of a bar setting.

I fall into this category as well, and I'm as paranoid as they come...... The generalization that people willing to buy things from Craigslist or do on-line dating are engaging in "risk-taking dangerous behavior patterns" is a gross exaggeration.

You're more fearless than I am. Even when selling things on FB, I make the buyer meet me in the lobby of the PD or the SO. Many LE agencies encourage the public to do so. If it's a large item such as furniture, we can call the non-emergency number and a PSA (citizen, usually a volunteer, but in uniform and driving a marked patrol vehicle) will drive by the location at the appointed time.

I confess I don't know what the usual procedure is when you meet someone through an internet dating site. I can't even imagine renting out a room in my house to a stranger through AirBNB nor climbing into a car driven by John Doe from Uber or Lyft.

While the vast majority of people you're likely to encounter online are probably harmless and relatively normal, I would imagine it's more difficult to get a true feeling about who and what a person is really like electronically.

JMO

I fall into this category as well, and I'm as paranoid as they come...... The generalization that people willing to buy things from Craigslist or do on-line dating are engaging in "risk-taking dangerous behavior patterns" is a gross exaggeration.

Not really related to your post directly but...would those who have the ability or desire to murder, ever fear for their own safety when meeting people online? Or do they subconsciously see themselves as a predator so it doesn't cross their mind?

I buy on Craig's List as does my husband. No issues there. I have many, many friends actively looking for love on dating sites. I think as long as you're smart about it it can be really helpful. I have no judgement around it. The sex sites are another thing. I am open minded and very little shocks me when it comes to lifestyle choices, but you absolutely place yourself at risk if you expose yourself to a world that is bred out of poor boundaries and illicit behavior. Add underage children who you are legally responsible for and look to you for guidance, care and safety into the fray and then I say all bets are off. But that's just me. MOO.

I buy on Craig's List as does my husband. No issues there. I have many, many friends actively looking for love on dating sites. I think as long as you're smart about it it can be really helpful. I have no judgement around it. The sex sites are another thing. I am open minded and very little shocks me when it comes to lifestyle choices, but you absolutely place yourself at risk if you expose yourself to a world that is bred out of poor boundaries and illicit behavior. Add underage children who you are legally responsible for and look to you for guidance, care and safety into the fray and then I say all bets are off. But that's just me. MOO.

Makes you wonder how the species survived this long, doesn't it? LOL

I read about people knowingly, intentionally getting into serious, committed relationships with people who live 500, 1000 miles away who they met online and wonder why anyone would do that. (But it's probably a lot easier to sustain than dealing with someone day in and day out, up close and personal, warts, bad breath, won't-take-out-the-garbage and all.)

5-10-101. Capital murder.

(a) A person commits capital murder if:

(1) Acting alone or with one (1) or more other persons:

(A) The person commits or attempts to commit:

(i) Terrorism, as defined in § 5-54-205;

(ii) Rape, § 5-14-103;

(iii) Kidnapping, § 5-11-102;

(iv) Vehicular piracy, § 5-11-105;

(v) Robbery, § 5-12-102;

(vi) Aggravated robbery, § 5-12-103;

(vii) Residential burglary, § 5-39-201(a);

(viii) Commercial burglary, § 5-39-201(b);

(ix) Aggravated residential burglary, § 5-39-204;

(x) A felony violation of the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, §§ 5-64-101 -- 5-64-508, involving an actual delivery of a controlled substance; or

(xi) First degree escape, § 5-54-110; and

(B) In the course of and in furtherance of the felony or in immediate flight from the felony, the person or an accomplice causes the death of a person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;

(2) Acting alone or with one (1) or more other persons:

(A) The person commits or attempts to commit arson, § 5-38-301; and

(B) In the course of and in furtherance of the felony or in immediate flight from the felony, the person or an accomplice causes the death of any person;

(3) With the premeditated and deliberated purpose of causing the death of any law enforcement officer, jailer, prison official, firefighter, judge or other court official, probation officer, parole officer, any military personnel, or teacher or school employee, when such person is acting in the line of duty, the person causes the death of any person;

(4) With the premeditated and deliberated purpose of causing the death of another person, the person causes the death of any person;

(5) With the premeditated and deliberated purpose of causing the death of the holder of any public office filled by election or appointment or a candidate for public office, the person causes the death of any person;

(6) While incarcerated in the Department of Correction or the Department of Community Correction, the person purposely causes the death of another person after premeditation and deliberation;

(7) Pursuant to an agreement that the person cause the death of another person in return for anything of value, he or she causes the death of any person;

(8) The person enters into an agreement in which a person is to cause the death of another person in return for anything of value, and a person hired pursuant to the agreement causes the death of any person;

(9) (A) Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, the person knowingly causes the death of a person fourteen (14) years of age or younger at the time the murder was committed if the defendant was eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time the murder was committed.

(B) It is an affirmative defense to any prosecution under this subdivision (a)(9) arising from the failure of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to provide specified medical or surgical treatment, that the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis relied solely on spiritual treatment through prayer in accordance with the tenets and practices of an established church or religious denomination of which he or she is a member; or

(10) The person:

(A) Purposely discharges a firearm from a vehicle at a person or at a vehicle, conveyance, or a residential or commercial occupiable structure that he or she knows or has good reason to believe to be occupied by a person; and

(B) Thereby causes the death of another person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.

(b) It is an affirmative defense to any prosecution under subdivision (a)(1) of this section for an offense in which the defendant was not the only participant that the defendant did not commit the homicidal act or in any way solicit, command, induce, procure, counsel, or aid in the homicidal act's commission.

(c) (1) Capital murder is punishable as follows:

(A) If the defendant was eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time he or she committed the capital murder:

(i) Death; or

(ii) Life imprisonment without parole under §§ 5-4-601 -- 5-4-605, 5-4-607, and 5-4-608; or

(B) If the defendant was younger than eighteen (18) years of age at the time he or she committed the capital murder:

(i) Life imprisonment without parole as it is defined in § 5-4-606; or

(ii) Life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after serving a minimum of twenty-eight (28) years' imprisonment.

(2) For any purpose other than disposition under §§ 5-4-101 -- 5-4-104, 5-4-201 -- 5-4-204, 5-4-301 -- 5-4-307, 5-4-401 -- 5-4-404, 5-4-501 -- 5-4-504, 5-4-601 -- 5-4-605, 5-4-607, 5-4-608, 16-93-307, 16-93-313, and 16-93-314, capital murder is a Class Y felony.

HISTORY: Acts 1975, No. 280, § 1501; 1983, No. 341, § 1; 1985, No. 840, § 1; A.S.A. 1947, § 41-1501; Acts 1987, No. 242, § 2; 1989, No. 97, § 1; 1989, No. 856, § 1; 1991, No. 683, § 1; 1993, No. 1189, § 2; 1995, No. 258, § 1; 1995, No. 800, § 1; 2003, No. 1342, § 5; 2007, No. 827, §§ 19, 20; 2009, No. 748, § 6; 2009, No. 1395, § 3; 2011, No. 570, § 22; 2013, No. 1490, § 3.

View Custom Full
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/arcode/Default.asp

I met my husband online years ago. I had signed up to be a pen pal to deployed soldiers. Never dreamed or considered it turning into something else. He was 9000 miles away. We both fell in love before we ever met. Best decision I ever made. While ours was obviously a success story, many or not. Nor would we suggest it to anyone.

We live in a prominent area and have bought things on Craigslist. Lots of expensive things that are sold at great prices. Though my husband and a buddy always take care if picking up the items.

You just have to be careful and aware. You can meet someone at church and have them turn into a monster.

I have heard crazy blow your mind stories about sex parties. You would be surprised at the people that attend these. From prominent people to drug addicts. I guess when you are naked in a room full of folks, rich or poor all look the same. Not something I can understand. Nor do I want too.

(1) Acting alone or with one (1) or more other persons:

(A) The person commits or attempts to commit:

(i) Terrorism, as defined in § 5-54-205;

(ii) Rape, § 5-14-103;

(iii) Kidnapping, § 5-11-102;

(iv) Vehicular piracy, § 5-11-105;

(v) Robbery, § 5-12-102;

(vi) Aggravated robbery, § 5-12-103;

(vii) Residential burglary, § 5-39-201(a);

(viii) Commercial burglary, § 5-39-201(b);

(ix) Aggravated residential burglary, § 5-39-204;

(x) A felony violation of the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, §§ 5-64-101 -- 5-64-508, involving an actual delivery of a controlled substance; or

(xi) First degree escape, § 5-54-110; and

(B) In the course of and in furtherance of the felony or in immediate flight from the felony, the person or an accomplice causes the death of a person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;

(A) The person commits or attempts to commit arson, § 5-38-301; and

(B) In the course of and in furtherance of the felony or in immediate flight from the felony, the person or an accomplice causes the death of any person;

(3) With the premeditated and deliberated purpose of causing the death of any law enforcement officer, jailer, prison official, firefighter, judge or other court official, probation officer, parole officer, any military personnel, or teacher or school employee, when such person is acting in the line of duty, the person causes the death of any person;

(4) With the premeditated and deliberated purpose of causing the death of another person, the person causes the death of any person;

(5) With the premeditated and deliberated purpose of causing the death of the holder of any public office filled by election or appointment or a candidate for public office, the person causes the death of any person;

(6) While incarcerated in the Department of Correction or the Department of Community Correction, the person purposely causes the death of another person after premeditation and deliberation;

(7) Pursuant to an agreement that the person cause the death of another person in return for anything of value, he or she causes the death of any person;

(8) The person enters into an agreement in which a person is to cause the death of another person in return for anything of value, and a person hired pursuant to the agreement causes the death of any person;

(9) (A) Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, the person knowingly causes the death of a person fourteen (14) years of age or younger at the time the murder was committed if the defendant was eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time the murder was committed.

(B) It is an affirmative defense to any prosecution under this subdivision (a)(9) arising from the failure of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to provide specified medical or surgical treatment, that the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis relied solely on spiritual treatment through prayer in accordance with the tenets and practices of an established church or religious denomination of which he or she is a member; or

(10) The person:

(A) Purposely discharges a firearm from a vehicle at a person or at a vehicle, conveyance, or a residential or commercial occupiable structure that he or she knows or has good reason to believe to be occupied by a person; and

(B) Thereby causes the death of another person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.

(b) It is an affirmative defense to any prosecution under subdivision (a)(1) of this section for an offense in which the defendant was not the only participant that the defendant did not commit the homicidal act or in any way solicit, command, induce, procure, counsel, or aid in the homicidal act's commission.

(c) (1) Capital murder is punishable as follows:

(A) If the defendant was eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time he or she committed the capital murder:

(i) Death; or

(ii) Life imprisonment without parole under §§ 5-4-601 -- 5-4-605, 5-4-607, and 5-4-608; or

(B) If the defendant was younger than eighteen (18) years of age at the time he or she committed the capital murder:

(i) Life imprisonment without parole as it is defined in § 5-4-606; or

(ii) Life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after serving a minimum of twenty-eight (28) years' imprisonment.

(2) For any purpose other than disposition under §§ 5-4-101 -- 5-4-104, 5-4-201 -- 5-4-204, 5-4-301 -- 5-4-307, 5-4-401 -- 5-4-404, 5-4-501 -- 5-4-504, 5-4-601 -- 5-4-605, 5-4-607, 5-4-608, 16-93-307, 16-93-313, and 16-93-314, capital murder is a Class Y felony.

HISTORY: Acts 1975, No. 280, § 1501; 1983, No. 341, § 1; 1985, No. 840, § 1; A.S.A. 1947, § 41-1501; Acts 1987, No. 242, § 2; 1989, No. 97, § 1; 1989, No. 856, § 1; 1991, No. 683, § 1; 1993, No. 1189, § 2; 1995, No. 258, § 1; 1995, No. 800, § 1; 2003, No. 1342, § 5; 2007, No. 827, §§ 19, 20; 2009, No. 748, § 6; 2009, No. 1395, § 3; 2011, No. 570, § 22; 2013, No. 1490, § 3.

View Custom Full
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/arcode/Default.asp

So killing someone as part of a kidnapping is reason enough for it to be capital murder? (No rape, robbery, or anything else required?)

Well obviously I wasn't saying anyone who ever posted on Craig's List is asking to be murdered. lol. I'm simply trying to refer to the specific site on which our accused were posting that is not to be discussed or named here or we will be deleted -- but hinting that meeting up with strangers in general to exchange things like.... well, let's say for example, sexual favors, just as an example... might not be the safest lifestyle to continue - if, say, you were for example a mild mannered mom just trying to raise your teenaged kids in a good healthy safe environment. For example..... Add to that mix a philandering multi-count felon stepfather who perhaps might also post himself on same said type of site, which shall remain nameless, and I doubt that is the best combo to ensure a protected safe environment all around. Geez! ;)

Now let me warn you about ever using Amazon.com however!!! Very very dangerous indeed. Few have managed to escape victimhood using Amazon. Tread with great caution. Very very dangerous place.... ;)

Not really related to your post directly but...would those who have the ability or desire to murder, ever fear for their own safety when meeting people online? Or do they subconsciously see themselves as a predator so it doesn't cross their mind?

Interesting question. I would imagine those types of folks are so focused on their intended misdeeds, they're not even thinking they could become targets!

Tallula Belle, that's a great love story. Truly.

We live in a prominent ares too and just about everyone we know buys on Craig's list or finds places to buy or rent there. I found our weekend getaway place on Craig's List after a night of insomnia led me to my computer screen. Two weeks later the place was ours. I am now a fan of late night real estate perusing. It's very escapist and relaxing!

Sex parties... I have known people who have been into that scene. Gay and straight. Some envelopes I just don't have any interest in pushing.

Well obviously I wasn't saying anyone who ever posted on Craig's List is asking to be murdered. lol. I'm simply trying to refer to the specific site on which our accused were posting that is not to be discussed or named here or we will be deleted -- but hinting that meeting up with strangers in general to exchange things like.... well, let's say for example, sexual favors, just as an example... might not be the safest lifestyle to continue - if, say, you were for example a mild mannered mom just trying to raise your teenaged kids in a good healthy safe environment. For example..... Add to that mix a philandering multi-count felon stepfather who perhaps might also post himself on same said type of site, which shall remain nameless, and I doubt that is the best combo to ensure a protected safe environment all around. Geez! ;)

Now let me warn you about ever using Amazon.com however!!! Very very dangerous indeed. Few have managed to escape victimhood using Amazon. Tread with great caution. Very very dangerous place.... ;)

Hahaha!! I agree....the same goes for setting foot into a Target......

Back to your point.....without divulging a lot of personal info. I have had close family member make unbelievably stupid decisions regarding a Craigslist anonymous sexual hookup. It's still unfathomable to me how an intelligent successful adult could do such a stupid, risky thing, but it happens. And sometimes it is even possible to continue on with a totally successful life. My point is, sometimes there is just no explanation for idiotic and inexplicable decisions that adults make. Even, by all accounts, rational adults raising children and holding down professional and lucrative jobs. Human beings just do really dumb things sometimes, and it is often impossible to make sense of them.

True crime has always interested me. From what I have seen, most killers, rapist, even just small time crooks, always seem to be shocked when the tables are turned. I am not sure what goes on in their mind but definitely not those of a normal person.

A) The person commits or attempts to commit:
iii) Kidnapping, § 5-11-102;
B) In the course of and in furtherance of the felony or in immediate flight from the felony, the person or an accomplice causes the death of a person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;

That's Count 1 https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/lewis-and-lowery-felony-charges.pdf

ETA: CL's Theft by Rec and AL's Robbery charges show to be bound over to Circuit Court.. so not sure how that will play in to this. Although Robbery is one of the choices. Going to check out the Kidnapping now.

Working on a new thread, will be closing this one shortly...

Tallula Belle, that's a great love story. Truly.

We live in a prominent ares too and just about everyone we know buys on Craig's list or finds places to buy or rent there. I found our weekend getaway place on Craig's List after a night of insomnia led me to my computer screen. Two weeks later the place was ours. I am now a fan of late night real estate perusing. It's very escapist and relaxing!

Sex parties... I have known people who have been into that scene. Gay and straight. Some envelopes I just don't have any interest in pushing.

Thank you. You sound like me...insomnia and shopping. Ha. Amazing what you can find.

NJ had posted ( on 11/5/14 at 4:19AM) that LE took CL's cell phone on that Sunday (9/28) well before she was arrested, and were allegedly looking at texts btwn CL and AL from Thurs 9/25 to Sunday 9/28 per NJ... She also remarked that LE decided to keep the cell phone rather than return it to CL so she had to find herself another phone that she used from that date fwd. I guess it's safe then to assume that they found something on that phone that warranted them holding onto it and keeping it in their own evidence cache rather than returning it to her. She wasn't arrested for another month.

Hagger's suggestion to go back and reread all threads again was a really good one. There were all different people before I came here - I came on at thread 4. And many local people with tons of good info and insights. Plus I found FH links I'd not seen previously with more AL info that for me was extremely relevant now with our new information. Not sure if we can link to that or not? I mean they did back in thread 3 but seems the rules are tightening as we move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769