Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > JonBenet Ramsey

Notices

JonBenet Ramsey What really happened to 6 year old JonBenet? Someone is getting away with murder. All information posted on this site is gained through published documentation on this case. It is strictly opinion only.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM

CODIS Subject: DATA banks for DNA

I thought this topic deserved a thread of its own. It came up on Nancy Grace program of Thurs Aug 24.

--->>>I heard Nancy Grace say that there is no national DNA data base.

This sent me digging. This is what I found.

Seems that ONLY 40 of our American States have law in place to enable them to GET and RECORD DNA samples from convicted sexual perps.

READ ON for my digging efforts:

http://www.promega.com/geneticidproc...oc/niezgod.htm

Each state participating in the CODIS program has a single State DNA Index System (SDIS). The SDIS is typically operated by the agency responsible for implementing the state's convicted offender statute. At the state level,
inter-laboratory searching occurs.*

EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT*

Today, forty states have passed legislation requiring convicted offenders to provide biological samples for DNA databasing (fig. 2). These statutes cover over 90% of the U.S. population. There are differences among state laws, but all cover felony sex offenses. Eight states have passed legislation this year, and three states have pending legislation. In addition, the FBI is in the process of drafting a federal DNA database law, covering federal and military courts and the District of Columbia.*

Snippets from the links above, take it upon yourselves to get smart about CODIS.

As I understand it, correct me if I err, but as I understand it each states forensic lab folks have an option of whether to enter their DNA into the national data base.

I think we have some significant gaps in locating the 'very mobile' sexual perps amongst us.

"""I am just a pixel in the universal plan."""