Found Deceased Canada - Delores 'DeeDee' Brown, 18, Penelakut Island, BC, 27 July 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Delores Brown
21079cowichanvalleycitizen48055_Delores_Brown.jpg

Major crime unit sends help to police, family, searching for missing woman
A search for a missing 18-year-old woman is ramping up on a small island just east of Ladysmith, B.C.
Island District RCMP Cpl. Darren Lagan says additional resources from Vancouver Island's integrated major crime unit are being sent to Penelakut Island, south of Thetis Island, in the Gulf Island chain.
Delores Brown was last seen on the island, formerly known as Kuper Island, on July 27 and was reported missing two days later.
Since then, police, community members and search and rescue teams have scoured the area, a First Nations reserve and home to several hundred members of the Penelakut Band.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/major-c...-family-searching-for-missing-woman-1.2507606

"The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit has been brought in to work with Ladysmith RCMP on the case of a missing 18-year-old woman.

Island District RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Lagan said Delores (Deedee) Brown was last seen July 27 on Penelakut Island, where she lives. The island, formerly known as Kuper Island, is a short ferry ride from Chemainus.

Lagan said Brown does not have a history of disappearing “so there’s no concerning lifestyle pattern that would make this a normal event for her

“It is very unusual. That raises the family concern and our concern, as well.”
- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ssing-woman-18-1.2024582#sthash.BnpjQwPJ.dpuf
rbbm.

Something they know must have raised a red flag enough to bring in the Major Crime Unit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.com/news/321811801.html
rbbm.

"On Aug. 11 an RCMP helicopter supported searchers covering the shorelines, surrounding waters, and hard to access inland areas to ensure all areas of Penelakut Island were covered off,” according to Island District RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Lagan.

On Aug. 10 the RCMP West Coast Marine Section and Dive Team were used in support of the search, searching the waters and docks of Penelakut Island.

“The whereabouts of Delores Brown remains unknown,” Lagan said. “Investigators continue to investigate all tips and information from the public and community members.”

Community members have joined the family in searching for Brown. They have knocked on doors and swept the shoreline without results."

snip>

"Brown is a First Nations woman standing approximately five-foot-six and weighing about 120 pounds. She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a hoodie and carrying a backpack and was leaving the Island to go to visit her grandmother, who lives in Chemainus."

I am not from this area, but wonder if there are video cameras at the ferry dock. Did she befriend someone while on ferry ride? It must be difficult to track everyone that was on this ferry, but if she made it on but not to her grandmothers then something or someone happened to her while on ferry. She could of accepted a ride? Hopefully there will be some updates

There are cameras at the terminals in the larger ferries, not sure about the vehicle deck/exit terminal of this small ferry.

The fact that the major crime unit has been exhaustively searching the island, when a witness states she was last seen leaving the island, indicates to me that possibly they don't believe she actually left.

Aug 1 news report: "Last seen boarding the ferry": www.cheknews.ca/search-continues-for-missing-penelakut-woman-110856/

First RCMP Press release, "she was seen leaving the island". http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=2087&languageId=1&contentId=42866

Early news was that she intended to go to her grandmothers. July 30 article is she was supposedly "seen leaving the island". August 1 article "last seen boarding the ferry". I think the early ferry sighting that was reported turned out to not be a confirmed sighting because all articles subsequent to August 1 relate to searches on Penelakut island.

Interesting that she left her phone behind. Most young peeps don't leave home without them:

from the July 30 article:
http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=2087&languageId=1&contentId=42866

Miss Brown has never gone missing before. “This is very out of character for Miss Brown, who has left behind her phone.” stated Cpl. Rick Fraser of Ladysmith RCMP. Her family is very worried.

She has a facebook page but I do not know how to get it here.
There was a comment on one of her friends pages that she may have been seen in Esquimalt (Vancouver Island) at a grocery store. That is in my area. I wonder if this friend has contacted Police as there is a Reserve here??

IF it is Delores, it would be hard to imagine how a body could start from Penelakut Island ferry terminal (if she even got there) and end up on the east side of Norway Island. I wonder where Delores lived on Penelakut and what route she would have taken if she was in fact headed to the ferry terminal.

Map of Penelakut Island here

On the following image sourced from the above Google Map, the dotted line shows the standard ferry route leaving from the northwest side of Penelakut Island down/over to Chemainus and back up to Thetis Island.

The black arrow points to the east side of tiny, privately owned (only 3 houses) Norway Island:

Attachments

• Penelakut to Norway Island.png
    Penelakut to Norway Island.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 127
How sad.

Only 302 people live on that island

She has a facebook page but I do not know how to get it here.
There was a comment on one of her friends pages that she may have been seen in Esquimalt (Vancouver Island) at a grocery store. That is in my area. I wonder if this friend has contacted Police as there is a Reserve here??

Must have been mistaken identity, or LE should be speaking with the friend as to where that particular info came from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back