Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuller timeline, context for May 2, 10, and 26.

April 22.

Travis blogs about how to have an amazing day. In this entry he mentions having to get his passport in order. He's going to Cancun. The killer reads his blog in her cramped bedroom at her grandparents' house, back in Yreka.

Her credit cards are maxed out, her car is due to be repossessed, tbe foreclosure on her house with Darryl has destroyed her credit for years to come, she owes thousands of dollars each to her grandparents, her parents, Darryl, and to Travis for the BWI she destroyed in a rage. She is unemployed.

April 23.

Travis buys a $1,500 professional camera, better than any she'd dreamed of being able to own herself though SHE was the photographer. Travis has often called upon her to take pics at PPL events. Now he doesn't have any need to AND he has a far superior camera.

April 26. The killer sends Travis a text with a link to check out..."paint your reality.com. ". She tells him- yes, this text is meant for you.

April 29.

The killer blogs about being amazing, and uses the same quote TA has already used in a blog entry ("our deepest fear isn't that we are inadequate.....")

Travis asks Mimi to go to Cancun and she says yes. Travis writes in his journal: "I'm happy."

April 29, 30. Travis is texting with multiple women at the same time, including CL and Maria. He's trying to convince CL to come spend the night. She's willing.

May 1. CL comes over to T's house. She arrives in the afternoon. They hook up.

May 1. At night. Texts between Travis and the killer. He says he's read her blog and teases her about plagiarizing from his blog. The killer is very not amused. She tries to draw him into sex talk, he declines.

May 2. Date the killer sent the 10 page rape fantasy to herself.

May 4. Killer blog. Says she stopped believing in the Law of Attraction 6 months earlier (but it still works anyway).

May 2-8. CL and Travis sent multiple messages to each other about having sex and enjoying each other. All of the texts disappear, are never received.

May 5. Travis posts the introduction to his book Raising You. He credits Katie Barnes for editing his work.

The killer texts Travis repeatedly, begging him to drop everything and come to Yreka that weekend. He says no.

(filling in mid-May later)

May 13. Travis writes in his journal that he has met some women online, says that online is not what he typically does, but that one woman in particular has "raised my eyebrows so much that it almost seems too good to be true." "She's so pretty its hard to swallow." He mentions they have "spoken."

He ends with..."its better to trust too much than too little. So the plot thickens on the blind race to the altar."

(Anyone else thinking.....paint your reality.com? The killer baiting him? Travis doesn't mention this mysterious woman again, BTW).
I will elaborate on what happened from May 1 - May 8, between CL and Travis. JA definitely has done something sinister, and Travis realizes it, as you can see at the end of my post.

May 1
Around 1 AM - CL arrives at Travis's house and they finally hook up
5PM - CL to Travis: What is the name of that book?
5:08 PM- Travis to CL: 1000 places to see before you die

May 3
3:06 AM - Travis to CL: Thanks for texting me back nerd

May 5
1:15 PM - Travis to CL: Travis asks for opinion on the introduction of his book

May 7
6:50 PM - Travis to CL: bulk PPL message sent to everyone.

May 8
6:42 AM - Travis to CL: Did you die?

Finally CL responds.
May 8
10:48 PM- CL to Travis: CL says she didn't get any texts from him either. She feels like a piece of meat.
10:49 PM - Travis to CL : I've texted you 5 times since you were at my house
10:50 PM- CL to Travis: CL says she is sorry, haven't gotten any texts, was starting to feel like a piece of meat and wondering he was thinking the same.
10:53 PM - Travis to CL: Travis thought he pissed CL off with his seductive ways
10:55 PM - CL to Travis : CL tells him he didn't piss her off
******10:55 PM- Travis to JA: You are dead to me******
10:57 PM - Travis to CL: he apologizes to CL
then he continues to talk to CL for about 10 more minutes.

I will elaborate on what happened from May 1 - May 8, between CL and Travis. JA definitely has done something sinister, and Travis realizes it, as you can see at the end of my post.

May 1

May 3

May 5

May 7

May 8

Finally CL responds.
May 8
10:48 PM- CL to Travis: CL says she didn't get any texts from him either. She feels like a piece of meat.
10:50 PM- CL to Travis: CL says she is sorry, haven't gotten any texts, was starting to feel like a piece of meat and wondering he was thinking the same.
10:53 PM - Travis to CL: Travis thought he pissed CL off with his seductive ways

"******10:55 PM- Travis to JA: You are dead to me******"

And the sex tape magically comes into existence two days later (May 10th).

You know, I don't blame the defense for wanting the sex tape in evidence, they used every slimey trick they could think of to make JA look like the victim (and T the bad guy) but I don't understand JM not casting huge amounts of doubts about the authenticity of it and its date. Many of us felt like it was hinkey way back then and with these texts coming out, which I'm sure he read them all and could have easily pieced this together, it's so absolutely clear it was not recorded on the date attributed to it. I just don't understand why JM didn't show these texts compared to the sex tape date so the jury would see the lengths JA would go to, whatever her purpose was in cobbling it together, it certainly wasn't what she testified to.

A general BIG THANKS to all of you who are spending time on the texts/timelines and book synopses. :loveyou:

You know, I don't blame the defense for wanting the sex tape in evidence, they used every slimey trick they could think of to make JA look like the victim (and T the bad guy) but I don't understand JM not casting huge amounts of doubts about the authenticity of it and its date. Many of us felt like it was hinkey way back then and with these texts coming out, which I'm sure he read them all and could have easily pieced this together, it's so absolutely clear it was not recorded on the date attributed to it. I just don't understand why JM didn't show these texts compared to the sex tape date so the jury would see the lengths JA would go to, whatever her purpose was in cobbling it together, it certainly wasn't what she testified to.

and why couldn't JM use these texts in context to show it? I will never understand the rules of evidence that don't allow the full picture and truth to be told. I would have thought the AL and MF testimony would have opened the door to bringing in this evidence. I hope Juan will explain what he could and could not use in his book. That is the book I will read. Thank you to all who are sharing these context texts. He was so out of his league with her evil. God bless his soul.

Ya know geevee...with this opportunity now to piece more things together I have to question when the killer decided to do her victim in. I mean, I think she thought first of ruining him, maybe in his business but more likely in his church. Her plan to ruin him morphed into murder at some point--I'm not sure yet what caused that change--but it looks so much like she started putting things together to use against him far earlier than I had figured. I think she was initially preparing for what she might do and then eventually for what she knew she would do to ruin his life. That is, until whatever went down that made her decide he had to die.

I initially thought the same thing. BUT ... JM only had to prove pre-med and cruelty. He didn't need to prove her lies about the sex tape; he didn't need to prove she screwed with TA's texts and social media accounts. Her lies about her timeline, about the gas cans, about the cell phone battery ... JM had enough JA lies to nail a 1st degree murder conviction, why confuse the issue?

IMO, "confusing the issue" is what KN expected. And when JM didn't take the bait, KN brought in Mr. I-see-a-dog-in-his-eye, who -- during the sentencing re-trial -- muddied the waters with non-existent *advertiser censored* and charges of prosecutorial misconduct.

Trying to prove JA manipulated the tape would be too much of a subjective argument, in contrast to the objective fact of the conversations having taken place at some point anyway.

Juan could then be seen as trying to deny the obvious by using a straw man argument that the tapes don't matter because they were manipulated.

It's better to acknowledge they existed and keep the emphasis on the obvious mutual consent and participation than be seen as trying to deny them as inherently damaging because of alleged manipulations in time stamping.

I initially thought the same thing. BUT ... JM only had to prove pre-med and cruelty. He didn't need to prove her lies about the sex tape; he didn't need to prove she screwed with TA's texts and social media accounts. Her lies about her timeline, about the gas cans, about the cell phone battery ... JM had enough JA lies to nail a 1st degree murder conviction, why confuse the issue?

IMO, "confusing the issue" is what KN expected. And when JM didn't take the bait, KN brought in Mr. I-see-a-dog-in-his-eye, who -- during the sentencing re-trial -- muddied the waters with non-existent *advertiser censored* and charges of prosecutorial misconduct.

I agree. If for example JM introduced the May 8 Travis's text to JA "You are dead to me", the defense team, especially ALV, would have taken it out of context and jumped all over it like mad.

'See? this cruel and abusive man now wants to kill our Jodi! Hasn't she been battered enough?'

Trying to prove JA manipulated the tape would be too much of a subjective argument, in contrast to the objective fact of the conversations having taken place at some point anyway.

Juan could then be seen as trying to deny the obvious by using a straw man argument that the tapes don't matter because they were manipulated.

It's better to acknowledge they existed and keep the emphasis on the obvious mutual consent and participation than be seen as trying to deny them as inherently damaging because of alleged manipulations in time stamping.

You said this much better than I! ITA.

Hopefully, JM's book will give us insight into his strategy and will tell us more about what was "suspected" v. what was proven. I thought it interesting that, without going into detail, JM asked LD (Lonnie) if it was possible JA sent texts 'from TA' to herself. LD acknowledged that's possible. (This was during the re-trial.) I always felt that question was a shot across the bow: Hey, DT ... Do you REALLY want to get into how much e-comm manipulation JA pulled?

Maybe my question should be - why didn't JM use the totality of the texts, these latest plus the ones with the fight over 'Steve Carroll' and the tree tying happening hours before the tape to prove the inauthenticity of the tape's date to keep it out of the trial altogether? I must be missing something in the strategy.

You said this much better than I! ITA.

Hopefully, JM's book will give us insight into his strategy and will tell us more about what was "suspected" v. what was proven. I thought it interesting that, without going into detail, JM asked LD (Lonnie) if it was possible JA sent texts 'from TA' to herself. LD acknowledged that's possible. (This was during the re-trial.) I always felt that question was a shot across the bow: Hey, DT ... Do you REALLY want to get into how much e-comm manipulation JA pulled?

Exactly. You don't have to spell everything out to the jury, in fact, that can come across as desperate and insulting. You have to respect their intelligence, give them enough context to the connect the dots themselves, and have enough faith that they will.

Maybe my question should be - why didn't JM use the totality of the texts, these latest plus the ones with the fight over 'Steve Carroll' and the tree tying happening hours before the tape to prove the inauthenticity of the tape's date to keep it out of the trial altogether? I must be missing something in the strategy.

IMO it would be distracting for the prosecutor to try to emphasize the 'tit for tat' details of their relationship. It would ultimately solve nothing and prove nothing. Everyone knew that at one point or another they were angry with each other, getting lost in the details and minutiae could result in losing the big picture perspective and could also appear to be petty to the jury.

I don't think Juan could have kept the sex tape out by showing it was manipulated. The conversations did take place, and the subject was too central to the defense's case to be kept out imo.

We'll just have to read JM's book! Remember: The DT cherry-picked the texts to show "abuse." The DT presented the sex tape to show "pedo tendencies." All of which were meant to bolster a plea of self-defense.

I doubt JM was interested in any of that. Even KN acknowledges a plea of self-defense was ludicrous. From JM's standpoint: Why waste time or confuse the jury?

IMO it would be distracting for the prosecutor to try to emphasize the 'tit for tat' details of their relationship. It would ultimately solve nothing and prove nothing. Everyone knew that at one point or another they were angry with each other, getting lost in the details and minutiae could result in losing the big picture perspective and could also appear to be petty to the jury.

I don't think Juan could have kept the sex tape out by showing it was manipulated. The conversations did take place, and the subject was too central to the defense's case to be kept out imo.

Iirc, didn't JM have a witness that testified that her and TA had sent texts or talked on the phone as if they were getting intimate just to pee JA off because TA knew she was hacking/eavesdropping? I don't think it was CL but perhaps that was what they were doing too though the whole CL thing just doesn't fit for me anyway, she was JA's "friend"... maybe JA made moves on or scammed someone CL had been interested in, or "stole" her contacts/sales for PPL?

Iirc, didn't JM have a witness that testified that her and TA had sent texts or talked on the phone as if they were getting intimate just to pee JA off because TA knew she was hacking/eavesdropping? I don't think it was CL but perhaps that was what they were doing too though the whole CL thing just doesn't fit for me anyway, she was JA's "friend"... maybe JA made moves on or scammed someone CL had been interested in, or "stole" her contacts/sales for PPL?
I don't remember but if so I think he did it specifically to show Jodi's stalking behavior, not to take sides in their sniping behavior.

i think jodi is a sociopath and her motive was self preservation. i don't think she ever could truly have felt love for travis. he had to be taken out because she thought it was all his fault that her reputation was being ruined... sure, she would have 'been' with him or even married him. but ony for status and comfort. too bad for her travis wasn't super rich after all! she sure did drain him like a golddigger though... (and not the type he wanted to marry as in his blog post).

I just finally watched "Gone Girl" in full. Reminded me of JA without a Harvard degree or two.

May 1

May 3

May 5

May 7

May 8

Finally CL responds.
May 8

AS i stated before, CL is the motive! TA gave her the book of Mormon! That's how he hooked up with her! She was in a white rage being so far away. TA sleeping with CL, then taking Mimi to Cancun was enough for her to premeditate his death. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko