Canada - Four killed, 7 injured in shootings, La Loche, Sask, 22 Jan 2016

4 confirmed deceased...not releasing ID of victims...ongoing investigation

number of others injured

lockdown lifted

no risk to public safety...one in custody...won't name him/her of course. (gah)

Taking a few questions now.

WSJ on phone asking about the initial 5 killed...She only confirms 4 dead and other injuries. Not sure of number of other injuries.

(Didn't Trudeau say 5? Ugh)

2 investigative sites...High school and "somewhere else" she won't disclose.????

300 block of Dene Crescent(?) in Laloche (Most likely a house)

Won't name or give age of suspect. (shocker) Won't even answer if he/she is a minor or adult.

Group chat of some sort where shooter said he was about to go to the school and start shooting. (asked by reporter). LE said they never heard about that.

Okay, I'm done. Nobody is in here anyway. Lol

WSJ on phone asking about the initial 5 killed...She only confirms 4 dead and other injuries. Not sure of number of other injuries.

2 investigative sites...High school and "somewhere else" she won't disclose.????

300 bk Danay Cresent (?) in Laloche (Most likely a house)

Won't name or give age of suspect. (shocker) Won't even answer if he/she is a minor or adult.

Group chat of some sort where shooter said he was about to go to the school and start shooting. (asked by reporter). LE said they never heard about that.

Okay, I'm done. Nobody is in here anyway. Lol

Thank you for posting!

The discrepancy on the fatalities, not sure what to make of it (things are fluid and it could change again). It would be heartbreaking to say it's 4 then have it be 5 again. We may never know...?

:dunno:

It's an horrific situation regardless. I'm bracing myself for the release of info on the victims.

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RCMP originally confirmed five fatalities. They now confirm four. I watched the press conference and the spokeswoman’s explanation for that, made no sense to me. She seemed to just be rambling. If that is the best spokesperson they have, it doesn’t surprise me they would get facts wrong.

Chief Supt. Maureen Levy’s explanation “With a tragedy such as this, a lot of information going back and forth,”. :facepalm:

Suspect 'opened fire in the building': At least four dead, one person in custody, in La Loche school shooting

It certainly seems by the context of the commentary I'm reading (classmates that witnessed their friends going down but were too afraid to look back, instead running for their lives) that at least one student was shot.

The Saskatoon Star Phoenix article posted by KaaBoom also quotes multiple sources as stating there was a secondary scene.

[...]
According to multiple sources, there was a shooting incident at a residence in the community, followed by a shooting at the school soon after. RCMP said investigators on Friday afternoon and into the evening were at two locations: a residence in the 300 block of Dene Crescent and the Dene building.
[...]

I believe the news will get worse before it gets better. I hope I am wrong.

:tears:

Thank you for posting!

The discrepancy on the fatalities, not sure what to make of it (things are fluid and it could change again). It would be heartbreaking to say it's 4 then have it be 5 again. We may never know...?

:dunno:

It's an horrific situation regardless. I'm bracing myself for the release of info on the victims.

:(

I am also bracing myself as this school was from6/7 to grade 12

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35388594
_87863411_canadalalochesaskatchewan4640116.png

"
There was lots of screaming, there was about six, seven shots before I got outside. I believe there was more shots by the time I did get out."

La Loche is an aboriginal community of about 3,000 people.

It is located about 500km (311 miles) north-west of the city of Prince Albert.

This is said to be Canada's worst school shooting since 14 people were killed by a gunman at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique in 1989.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412739/At-two-dead-one-arrested-shooting-high-school-Canada.html
In 2014, a teacher expressed concern about violence at the La Loche school, citing an incident where a student who had tried to stab her was put back in her classroom after serving his sentence, and another attacked her at her home....

Sounds like there may have been some isolated incidents in the past there. :(

What a sad winter day today for many families. What is wrong with some people ??
Thinking and praying for the wounded as well.

:moo:

This is so sad.... and being Canadian, and from Saskatchewan, I can't count how many times I or someone I know has said "thank goodness those things don't happen here". How terrible for that community and those families, all involved.

Not trying to be flippant, Also being Canadian and having moved to SK 10 years ago it surprises that this has not happened here before.

La Loche population is about 2600 Aboriginal Indian

Non Aboriginal population is about 90 people

La Loche population is about 2600 Aboriginal Indian

Non Aboriginal population is about 90 people

The school would however have at least a couple of communities plus the children from the reserve attending would it not. A town of 3000 people would not have a school with 900 children.

Reports just a few minutes ago on CTV that two of the shooter's siblings were killed at home.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/crim...ched-we-will-not-be-allowing-anyone-in-or-out

La Loche acting Mayor Kevin Janvier told The Associated Press that his 23-year old daughter Marie, a teacher, was shot dead by the alleged gunman. He said RCMP told him that the gunman is alleged to have first shot two of his siblings before killing Janvier’s daughter. Kevin Janvier said he did not know if the alleged shooter knew his daughter.

“He shot two of his brothers at his home and made his way to the school,” said Janvier, adding that Marie was his only child. “I’m just so sad.”

Reports just a few minutes ago on CTV that two of the shooter's siblings were killed at home.

Sadly I knew this was coming.

Now the total is higher than before the original 5 victims (but now we have two crime scenes).

These situations are fluid, and I'm willing to allow officials leeway here. It's unfortunate it occurred this way, but entirely understandable :moo:

Just so tragic!

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/run-bro...fter-shots-fired-at-la-loche-school-1.2749032

'Run, bro, run!' Teen describes moments after shots fired at La Loche school

"We were going back to gym class, that's when I heard the first shot," he explained. "I looked back. He didn't see me, that's why I ran to the gym class, closed the door, and I ran in the dressing room. We stayed there for, like, three hours."

Desjarlais-Thomas forwarded to The Canadian Press a screenshot of a chilling exchange that had taken place on social media a short time before the shooting between a young man and his friends.

"Just killed 2 ppl," wrote the young man. "Bout to shoot ip the school."

"Why?" asked a friend. "Why?"

Many residents of the small community hunt and fish to support their families. Desjarlais-Thomas said it is not the kind of place where kids would expect something so terrible.

"What I saw today was something un-ordinary," said the teen. "I just thought it was going to be a normal Friday and then, yeah, that happened."

School Shootings In Canada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting#Canada

Centennial Secondary School shooting May 28, 1975 Michael Slobodian 2 Killed
St. Pius X High School shooting October 27, 1975 Robert Poulin 2 Killed
École Polytechnique December 6, 1989 Marc Lepine 14 Killed
Concordia University August 24, 1992 Dr. Valery Fabrikant 4 Killed
W. R. Myers High School April 28, 1999 Todd Cameron Smith 1 Killed
Dawson College September 13, 2006 Kimveer Gill 1 Killed

The École Polytechnique remains the deadliest spree killing in Canadian history.

Sadly I knew this was coming.

Now the total is higher than before the original 5 victims (but now we have two crime scenes).

These situations are fluid, and I'm willing to allow officials leeway here. It's unfortunate it occurred this way, but entirely understandable :moo:

Just so tragic!

My understanding is that four people were killed (two bothers, one teacher, one assistant teacher) and two people were critically injured at two locations. I don’t think the total will be higher. But the details are so sketchy that it’s hard to be sure of anything in this case.

Saskatchewan teacher named as one of four killed in Canada school shooting

Not trying to be flippant, Also being Canadian and having moved to SK 10 years ago it surprises that this has not happened here before.

sorry I didn't see this earlier.... unfortunately, I would have to agree. It's such a remote community and it has had some issues before, just not to this degree. I cannot even imagine how they were able to handle this situation today, do they even have enough medical staff? Thank goodness for STAR's.

You have been here for 10 years..... are you a Rider fan yet? lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back