Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was a robbery gone wrong, the folded up glasses and bag on the head could be ways that the assailant kept her from seeing his face. Take off my glasses and I can't see much. Put a bag over my head and forget it - now I don't know where you're taking me, and I definitely could not identify you.

That doesn't explain no signs of a struggle, unless Cheryl figured she'd wait, bide her time and appear 'obedient' until she figured out a way to escape.

Another reason for a bag over her head is to cover her head/eyes after she was murdered - as in, when she is transported to the culvert, the person responsible for the death does not want to look at the face of a deceased person.

A quick potassium injection would result in death with no signs of a struggle.

Karen Swift, of Tennessee, vanished Halloween night a couple of years ago. Her car was found parked near her home, her clothes were neatly folded in a pile in a forest between her car and her nearby home. Her body was later found hidden in the kudzu next to a cemetery within 2 miles of her home. Her murder is unsolved. Nearby folded clothing, or glasses, and no apparent evidence at the vehicle, or the location of the body, do not necessarily mean the death is a suicide. Her phone was found several miles away in a river.

Finding the phone may be the clue that helps distinguish between murder and suicide. For example, if her phone is found along a walking route between her car and her body, that goes to suicide. However, if her phone is found at a third location that is not enroute between those two locations, it would support murder.

Finding the phone may be the clue that helps distinguish between murder and suicide. For example, if her phone is found along a walking route between her car and her body, that goes to suicide. However, if her phone is found at a third location that is not enroute between those two locations, it would support murder.

Yes it could support murder or it could be that someone picked it up along the walking route and decided to keep it
A lot of dishonest people out there

I wonder if there is a way to the culvert from a park without even having to walk on the road.

I don't believe so. you would have to wind your way through residential streets, yards and intersections. The whole "getting to the culvert without being noticed puzzles me. Perhaps she hitched a ride..but you'd think someone would have come forward with that info. Perhaps she hid somewhere till the cover of night and then made it to the culvert?

Can anyone lay out for me their idea of how this went down according to the police? I mean if they are going to explain it as suicide? ..Cheryl parks on 58th...etc...etc.....found in the culvert.

The cat she got from me didn't like the food I sent apparently. It's common for cats not to eat the first 24 hours in a new home and in fat kitties this can cause hepatic lipidosis which we talked about the night she took him home. Many commercial raw pet foods are available at local stores. I have a mix of chicken turkey beef and pork made in an 80/10/10 ratio which is "species appropriate diet". I prefer to use the human grade organic grass fed food from the butcher shop. Many of us do that. The butcher stuff does leak easily as I showed the police when they were here.
The cat also had a few small matts on his back and a razor blade is a gentle and easy way to get them out. Scissors are more dangerous as you can cut the cat.
I have a theory based on some things I've read here but she did not kill herself. That I know. I don't care what "proof" they have, I will never believe it. She contacted me almost weekly about getting that cat. She would not get him and then kill herself.

What does that mean-what you said.

I took it to mean that she was wondering if the perp might live in the apartments that are now on what used to be called Honda Hill. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brand-new armchair detective here with 20+ years of experience watching Law & Order and a fascination with reading true crime books in bursts, and then nothing for months or years. I apologize for bringing up things possibly already answered, as I don’t have time to read every post. Some of my questions are not meant to point fingers at anyone, so if any of my questions seem pointed, it’s not intentional. These are just questions I ask keeping an open mind and hoping to get concrete answers to circumstances surrounding this woman’s death. I shop frequently in the general region of these happenings so have a personal safety interest, as well. HOME SURVEILLANCE: Was the home surveillance system in place for a long while, or only recently installed? Could the setup be manipulated so it could be a day off, or some such? Were several days’ worth of comings and goings watched? Was CD wearing the same clothing leaving the home 2/8 as the day found? RE STEELMAN MAP: Very disturbing to me that her car was parked so far away from where she was found. RE FINGER CUTS: Were these consistent with a razor? We know she had self-inflicted cuts, but were they definitely from the razor? Was in a razor blade, or like a hand-held disposable from a women’s package? RE BLOOD ON FLOOR OF CAR: I read where this accumulation was more significant. Was this blood determined to be old? Does forensics have the ability to test age of found blood? Was CD car a one-owner, purchased used? Could the blood be from an event totally unrelated to CD? MISSING CELLPHONE & ID: She seems like a well-educated, smart lady. If she did this to herself and didn’t want to be found or identified straight away, seems she would have gone far out of the area to do this. If she did this she did it within a short span of her home and car. Why bother disposing of her own cellphone and ID? Makes no sense to me. PLASTIC BAG: Does placing a thin plastic bag over one’s head do the trick quickly? Seems our natural reflexes would take over and our hands would rip off the bag once the air supply is gone. FAMILY: Do the husband and son have a good relationship? Do the husband and CD’s mom have a good relationship? FRIENDS: Did she have a “best friend” or acquaintances only? A sister? A lover? A confidante? METRO BUS: Her Metro pass wasn’t used, but she could have used cash. Who does that? Do the buses have dash cams, and were these thoroughly checked out for 2/8/16? WORK: Was everything okay at work? Professionally? Personal relationships with co-workers? HOME: How was her relationship with her husband? -----My gut instinct tells me that this is not suicide. It seems like too much work and to many questions for it to be suicide. ASPHYXIATION & FRESH WATER DROWNING: To be determined as the cause of death, do they need to act in tandem, or would they have to be done in tandem? Could the asphyxiation happen in one place, then the body then placed in the fresh water? FOLDED GLASSES: This is odd. As a glasses wearer, the first thing that goes flying when roughhousing with a dog or child can be the glasses. Seems these would have either been a plant, or CD herself (so I keep an open mind about suicide). DRUGS IN SYSTEM: This was definitely ruled out, right? BACK TO RAZOR: Would someone contemplating suicide make first attempts on fingertips or wrists? Would a person with personal intent chicken out, look around car for a bag to place over their head, stuff in a pocket, trek to the culvert area, place bag AND lay face down into winter cold water? I don’t think so.

The cat she got from me didn't like the food I sent apparently. It's common for cats not to eat the first 24 hours in a new home and in fat kitties this can cause hepatic lipidosis which we talked about the night she took him home. Many commercial raw pet foods are available at local stores. I have a mix of chicken turkey beef and pork made in an 80/10/10 ratio which is "species appropriate diet". I prefer to use the human grade organic grass fed food from the butcher shop. Many of us do that. The butcher stuff does leak easily as I showed the police when they were here.
The cat also had a few small matts on his back and a razor blade is a gentle and easy way to get them out. Scissors are more dangerous as you can cut the cat.
I have a theory based on some things I've read here but she did not kill herself. That I know. I don't care what "proof" they have, I will never believe it. She contacted me almost weekly about getting that cat. She would not get him and then kill herself.

Your information has been so helpful, thank you!

Blood on floor may have been from food she got for the cat. Maybe she didn't clean it up because she didn't notice it had leaked.

Cuts on fingers may have been accidental while she was grooming the cat.

Thanks again for your posts.

You mentioned you have a theory of what happened to Cheryl. Can you elaborate?

IMOO.

Do you feel comfortable sharing your theory? No worries if you rather not. Thank you for razor blade explanation. Still praying the family gets the closure they deserve!

Brand-new armchair detective here with 20+ years of experience watching Law & Order and a fascination with reading true crime books in bursts, and then nothing for months or years. I apologize for bringing up things possibly already answered, as I don’t have time to read every post. Some of my questions are not meant to point fingers at anyone, so if any of my questions seem pointed, it’s not intentional. These are just questions I ask keeping an open mind and hoping to get concrete answers to circumstances surrounding this woman’s death. I shop frequently in the general region of these happenings so have a personal safety interest, as well. HOME SURVEILLANCE: Was the home surveillance system in place for a long while, or only recently installed? Could the setup be manipulated so it could be a day off, or some such? Were several days’ worth of comings and goings watched? Was CD wearing the same clothing leaving the home 2/8 as the day found? RE STEELMAN MAP: Very disturbing to me that her car was parked so far away from where she was found. RE FINGER CUTS: Were these consistent with a razor? We know she had self-inflicted cuts, but were they definitely from the razor? Was in a razor blade, or like a hand-held disposable from a women’s package? RE BLOOD ON FLOOR OF CAR: I read where this accumulation was more significant. Was this blood determined to be old? Does forensics have the ability to test age of found blood? Was CD car a one-owner, purchased used? Could the blood be from an event totally unrelated to CD? MISSING CELLPHONE & ID: She seems like a well-educated, smart lady. If she did this to herself and didn’t want to be found or identified straight away, seems she would have gone far out of the area to do this. If she did this she did it within a short span of her home and car. Why bother disposing of her own cellphone and ID? Makes no sense to me. PLASTIC BAG: Does placing a thin plastic bag over one’s head do the trick quickly? Seems our natural reflexes would take over and our hands would rip off the bag once the air supply is gone. FAMILY: Do the husband and son have a good relationship? Do the husband and CD’s mom have a good relationship? FRIENDS: Did she have a “best friend” or acquaintances only? A sister? A lover? A confidante? METRO BUS: Her Metro pass wasn’t used, but she could have used cash. Who does that? Do the buses have dash cams, and were these thoroughly checked out for 2/8/16? WORK: Was everything okay at work? Professionally? Personal relationships with co-workers? HOME: How was her relationship with her husband? -----My gut instinct tells me that this is not suicide. It seems like too much work and to many questions for it to be suicide. ASPHYXIATION & FRESH WATER DROWNING: To be determined as the cause of death, do they need to act in tandem, or would they have to be done in tandem? Could the asphyxiation happen in one place, then the body then placed in the fresh water? FOLDED GLASSES: This is odd. As a glasses wearer, the first thing that goes flying when roughhousing with a dog or child can be the glasses. Seems these would have either been a plant, or CD herself (so I keep an open mind about suicide). DRUGS IN SYSTEM: This was definitely ruled out, right? BACK TO RAZOR: Would someone contemplating suicide make first attempts on fingertips or wrists? Would a person with personal intent chicken out, look around car for a bag to place over their head, stuff in a pocket, trek to the culvert area, place bag AND lay face down into winter cold water? I don’t think so.

Great first post, welcome to the group..

Jmo but I kind of would rather think, in the long run, that a loved one chose their own death, than that they were kidnapped and murdered. Obviously, it would be painful to know that he or she had preferred to die rather than express their fears, problems, health issues, etc....but I believe adults should have the right to choose death if they so desire. The idea of a loved one being brutally murdered is much more horrific to me. Jmo

Just a though here, probably doesn't make sense..
Otto says that human grade meat does not contain blood, I certainly have no reason to doubt Otto.
From what i have read here, LE did do some testing that came back inconclusive but said it was from an animal, animal blood
If it was from meat, wouldn't the tests show that it was the "juice" from meat?

Great info. Would you be open to share your theory? You seem to have very good insight!

And I too, have had my own experience with family suicide.
It is shocking, its shocking because it blindsides you often.

I can understand what you are saying and completely think valid all the reasons you have against a suicide scenario. But I really can't say enough how completely and totally bizarre it would be for a middle aged woman in the PNW to put a restaurant bag over her head to protect her hair from drizzle. Especially one who was either being killed or committing suicide. Sorry to be so blunt. She was not an elderly woman coming out of her weekly hairdo. She was a professional person on her way to work to Seattle who would have been prepared for drizzle. (And honestly, we just don't give a crud about drizzle.) This was not a MacGyver situation.

ETA: the only time in my 47 years I have ever seen anyone put plastic on their head in public was my grandma after getting her hair done. And that was in the 1970's and she was in her 70's and it was in a rural town.

I agree with you! No one in Portland it Seattle walks around with a plastic bag on their head! Especially when it's drizzling! We just don't. I would use my hood in the drizzle, but I openly admit it's because I'm vain. ;) Cheryl doesn't seem to be as fussy about her looks.

I agree with you! No one in Portland it Seattle walks around with a plastic bag on their head! Especially when it's drizzling! We just don't. I would use my hood in the drizzle, but I openly admit it's because I'm vain. ;) Cheryl doesn't seem to be as fussy about her looks.

I would imagine most of you all have coats with hoods, right?

I find the fact that umbrellas are "shunned" amusing :).

For those who think this must be murder, it is important to apply the same standards as to why you think it isn't suicide. I would ask the following questions:

- Do you think it would be possible to confront, lure and kill a woman and transport her body a mile and half away without leaving any physical evidence? There are no outward signs of struggle on the body, no defensive wounds, no indication that she fought or was overtaken in some way. Could a murderer be so sophisticated that they could accomplish this murder without leaving any trail?

- By the accounts of her family, this is a woman that has no issues. Everyone liked her, she was kind, loving and well adjusted. There are no reported issues with her husband or family. She adopts hard to adopt animals and is deeply cared for by those who know her. Those are the reasons that some would say she would not commit suicide,but by the same account, don't they apply to someone killing her intentionally?

I would be interested to understand from those who firmly believe that it is not suicide, how they answer the above questions. I waiver from day to day and the new info doesn't seem to firmly place any of us in one camp or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiajean