CANADA Canada - Patricia Salamandyk, 16, Spruce Grove, Edmonton AB, June 1972

I was looking at the band's tour schedule during the 70s, and it appears to have been nonstop for years, not letting up until 1980 with some breaks here and there. Of course, some of the tour was abroad so I don't know how far a young girl would get without a passport.
But what you wrote reminds me of Almost Famous and Tiny Dancer, lol.

I was looking at the band's tour schedule during the 70s, and it appears to have been nonstop for years, not letting up until 1980 with some breaks here and there. Of course, some of the tour was abroad so I don't know how far a young girl would get without a passport.
But what you wrote reminds me of Almost Famous and Tiny Dancer, lol.

Almost Famous is the pretty version of art imitating life!

In an interview, Patricia's sister is quoted as saying that she was told her sister never left the country. I'm curious how they would even know that. especially if she went to America? You didn't need a passport in 1972 to go across the border. I never once had to show ID back in the 70s and 80s, either upon entering Canada or leaving. I just had to say that I was an American citizen. They didn't even check, just took our word for it. Just like when they asked if we had fruit, and we said "no", but we did. Unless something about your presence raised a red flag, they pretty much waved you on through. Plus, in my neck of the woods, there used to be back wood tote roads in remote areas that you could just drive on through, no problem. If she really wanted to come to the US back then, she could have done it very easily without it being noticed or noted anywhere.

Just an aside, the Eagles opened for Jethro Tull at that concert. I bet it was awesome. :happydance:

submitted as a possible Buckskin Girl

Yes, I recently submitted inquiries about the possible match to NamUs, the Miami County Coroner's office and the RCMP, mainly to find out if she had been ruled out already. I'm sure I'm not the first person to bring her to their attention in regards to this case, but I wanted to know for sure. Her name has been mentioned a few times over the past several years, but I didn't see where anyone had actually submitted it and if she had been officially ruled out. If they had, I didn't see it posted here and no one mentioned that she had been ruled out when I pointed out the similarities between the two a few weeks ago. So, I decided I would reach out and find out.
I haven't heard back from anyone yet with a yes or no, but the NamUs representative said she would check with the case manager and the RCMP said they would be in touch if they had questions. I sent the RCMP a comparison of the postmortem photo and Patricia's portrait, pointing out the similar markings because I'm almost 100% convinced that Patricia is BG, regardless of the time span between disappearance and discovery.
I also asked the NamUs rep if it were possible to add her name to the rule out list even though she is Canadian in the case it turns out not to be her, to save them from having to repeat themselves over and over again, LOL.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Patricia's DNA was available until recently. Her case was reopened last summer.

So, what was there for a teenager to do in Edmonton, AB, Canada on a June day back in 1972? Anyone familiar with the area?
I was a small child then, but in 1982, I would go to the mall, hangout at the arcade and maybe catch a movie, but I think Edmonton was more urban than the little town I grew up in and had more interesting things to do. When we took a class trip in 9th grade, to Quebec City in 1980 ,they served us alcohol, so I'm thinking bar hopping wasn't out of the question in 1972.

She might have been simply going to the new McDonalds, which first came to Edmonton in 1971. I am the same age as Patricia, grew up on a dairy farm, and also skipped school a time ot two to go to the "city" for a Big Mac at the brand new McDonalds. I wasn't a wild kid. I went to 4-H, youth group, piano lessons and had good grades at school. It seems that Patricia was a normal teenager too.

Did she go to Edmonton all by herself? That seems not very likely.

I'm glad that this case has been reopened. Hopefully the mystery will be solved.

McDonald's Restaurants - Edmonton:
The first McDonald's outlet in Edmonton opened in 1971 at the Capilano location: 5505 - 101 Avenue.
Sources: McDonald's Restaurants. Regional Office (Edmonton). 414-8300.
Last Verified: November 4, 2004

She might have been simply going to the new McDonalds, which first came to Edmonton in 1971. I am the same age as Patricia, grew up on a dairy farm, and also skipped school a time ot two to go to the "city" for a Big Mac at the brand new McDonalds. I wasn't a wild kid. I went to 4-H, youth group, piano lessons and had good grades at school. It seems that Patricia was a normal teenager too.

Did she go to Edmonton all by herself? That seems not very likely.

I'm glad that this case has been reopened. Hopefully the mystery will be solved.

McDonald's Restaurants - Edmonton:
The first McDonald's outlet in Edmonton opened in 1971 at the Capilano location: 5505 - 101 Avenue.
Sources: McDonald's Restaurants. Regional Office (Edmonton). 414-8300.
Last Verified: November 4, 2004

Did you know Patricia or hear of her disappearance when it happened? She grew up on a diary farm, too.
I think I read on one of the articles that one of the theories was that she hitch-hiked with some older kids to Edmonton, but none of the tips panned out.

Because I think it's considerate to post in both the UID thread and the MP thread to avoid a duplication of work, I wanted to update what I've done so far on this case. I've noticed that some people are posting on UP threads, but not on the MP threads that they are suggesting as well, and vice versa. I'm sure that causes a lot of repetitive inquiries to LE and the authorities, cuz we don't appear to be on the same page on some of these cases. This is just an observation, not directed toward anyone or any case in particular. I just think that if someone suspects a match, it should be posted in both threads, especially with all the UPs out there. It should also be noted on the MP's case, too, just as a common courtesy, so here goes as I already posted in the UP's case:
I believe that Patricia is Buckskin girl (NamUs case 4790). Because I wasn't sure if it had been done already, I contacted NamUs, the Miami County Coroner and the RCMP, trying to find out if she had been submitted to them already and if so, if she has been ruled out. I couldn't find anything on BG's thread indicating that this had been done. Her name had been mentioned several times over the years there, but I wasn't able to tell if anyone had taken it a step further, so I did, in the off chance that it hadn't. I also wanted to know, once and for all, if she had been ruled out, because someone said that because she is from Canada, that she wouldn't appear on the rule out list. This way, if we can get a definitive answer, we can post it here, otherwise, they will probably be bombarded with the suggestion.
Anyway, I haven't heard anything definitive back yet letting me know if she's been ruled out. The NamUs rep said she would contact the case manager, and the RCMP said they would contact me if they had anymore questions. I didn't hear back from the coroner at all. That's it. Whether or not something comes of this, at least we can say it was done and noted.

How long do you think a match or rule out would take, considering we're dealing with two different governments? Anyone have any ideas?

How long do you think a match or rule out would take, considering we're dealing with two different governments? Anyone have any ideas?

Really depends on the 2 case workers and if there's any DNA or dentals to get the rule out on BG's side

I'm not sure about dental, but I think the DNA should be forthcoming, one of the news articles from July of last year mentioned obtaining it.
Does Canada have a site the equivalent of NamUs? I found one that's called Canada's missing but it's not very complete and I didn't find her or another MP I'm looking for, in it that

I'm not sure about dental, but I think the DNA should be forthcoming, one of the news articles from July of last year mentioned obtaining it.
Does Canada have a site the equivalent of NamUs? I found one that's called Canada's missing but it's not very complete and I didn't find her or another MP I'm looking for, in it that

Canada's Missing is their "NamUs". Its very incomplete. They do not do DNA like NamUs yet. People from NamUs met with them a few years ago. I think they were trying to figure out how to get funding for it.

Good to know. Kudos to them for trying. Hopefully it will get the funding and attention it needs so it can be better maintained/updated.
I know how that goes. My state is trying to put together a cold case squad, and funding is a big issue.

I just stumbled upon an MP from Australia who was listed as a rule out on a case in NamUs, so I'm hoping should Patricia be ruled out that they would list her, too, even though she's Canadian.

I just stumbled upon an MP from Australia who was listed as a rule out on a case in NamUs, so I'm hoping should Patricia be ruled out that they would list her, too, even though she's Canadian.

Was the Australian MP known to have come to the US?

Rose, what information do you need to put someone in NamUs? It seems like some of the MP information is scant. are there certain requirements that have to be met in order to list someone in there? I don't have anyone missing, it just came up in a topic in my FB news feed, and I was curious. Thank you.

Rose, what information do you need to put someone in NamUs? It seems like some of the MP information is scant. are there certain requirements that have to be met in order to list someone in there? I don't have anyone missing, it just came up in a topic in my FB news feed, and I was curious. Thank you.

Usually people not from the US or not known to have come here do not get listed as ruled out. I guess it depends on the case owner (LE or ME).

People like us can only enter MP's in NamUs. You need as much of their info (missing date, height/ weight, hair color eyes), circumstances and the MP report case number. If there is no MP report they can still be entered but the case will not "go online" (be public) without one.

Thanks Rose. Maybe they were referring to local law enforcement.

Can't believe how much she looks like CarlK's drawing of BG. This may or may not mean that she looks like actual BG but I think Carl does a darn good job, so I'm keeping my hopes up. I came across her looking at another case and the minute I saw her photo I said "that's BG." It was unreal. I found an article where her mom has pictures of her spread out on a table and I'd really like to look closer at the other clearly visible pic of her in this shot if someone better at that than I am can figure out how to blow it up and post it here.

Of course, I came here thinking I'd blow all your minds with this potential match and you were waaay ahead of me, per usual :) :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back