UNSOLVED HI - Puna, Human remains w/ personal items of Montreal woman, Jul'16

dotr

Reaction score
Investigation revealed that Urbina, from Montreal, Quebec, had come to Hawaii on vacation in November 2000, when she was 21 years old, and that she had been reported missing to the Honolulu Police Department in 2001.
Police have not yet identified the remains and do not know if there is a link between the remains and Jessica Urbina, who would be 37 years old now.
Police ask anyone who has any information about the human remains or Jessica Urbina to contact Lieutenant Gregory Esteban at 961-2252 or gregory.esteban@hawaiicounty.gov.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the islandwide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300.
http://khon2.com/2016/08/09/human-remains-found-in-puna-near-items-belonging-to-missing-woman/

This is freaky, imo.
rbbm
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/w...woman-who-went-missing-in-hawaii-15-years-ago
In 2004, Urbina’s mother told the Journal de Montréal of the attempt to find her daughter after she received a strange phone call in March 2001. “It was not my daughter. She was either drugged or someone was keeping her from talking,” Elder Urbina, who has since died, said at the time. “I spent an hour on the phone trying to find out what was wrong but she didn’t answer.”
The newspaper reported that a friend of Urbina’s, André Bégin, set off to look for her in Honolulu, the last city from which Urbina had mailed a letter. He had already returned home when a phone bill arrived indicating the last collect call had come from the Big Island.
Bégin and another family friend flew to the Big Island in early 2002 and met with people who knew Urbina. They showed him where she had been camping in Pahoa, but they said they had not seen her for a while.
“We went all around the Hawaiian Islands, driving along its coasts, questioning people, showing her photo around all over,” he told the Journal. “The police stations had never even seen her photo.”

I don't really understand what the mother was trying to say. She thought it was not her daughter but she heard her daughter on the phone? I'm a bit confused.

My first thought was, somebody pocket dialed and the mom heard a muffled conversation.

I don't really understand what the mother was trying to say. She thought it was not her daughter but she heard her daughter the phone? I'm a bit confused.
The National Post was quoting a French language newspaper 'Journal de Montreal' so it think something was lost in translation. I can't find the source article but as the National Post said the call had come from the daughter - I think the monther's original quote might have been something like "She was not herself" and this was not well-translated when printed in the English piece....

The National Post was quoting a French language newspaper 'Journal de Montreal' so it think something was lost in translation. I can't find the source article but as the National Post said the call had come from the daughter - I think the monther's original quote might have been something like "She was not herself" and this was not well-translated when printed in the English piece....

This is the article in French.
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/08/10/des-effets-personnels-trouves-aux-cotes-de-restes-humains

Attachments

• 4a4eea32-1ca1-4e58-8826-ba6d64e9c603_JDX-NO-RATIO_WEB.jpg
    4a4eea32-1ca1-4e58-8826-ba6d64e9c603_JDX-NO-RATIO_WEB.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 155
I don't really understand what the mother was trying to say. She thought it was not her daughter but she heard her daughter on the phone? I'm a bit confused.

I took it to mean that the woman she heard on the phone could have been her daughter (physically) but was not the daughter she knew (which is why she said she thought maybe she was drugged, or someone was preventing her from speaking - didn't act like her daughter normally does/did)?? I am guessing the voice was enough to convince her to stay on the line as she said she tried for over an hour to ask her what was wrong with no clear answer .. that is how I read it, but I could be wrong :)

http://www.hawaii247.com/2016/09/08...r-info-about-canadian-woman-reported-missing/
Police are still searching for info about Canadian woman reported missing

Posted on September 8, 2016
Police are awaiting DNA analysis on the remains and have not established whether there is any connection between the two cases. Police ask anyone with any information about Urbina to call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at 935-3311 or contact Detective Sandor Finkey at 961-2384 or sandor.finkey@hawaiicounty.gov.
Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the islandwide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300.

I have searched but have found no updates regarding these human remains and the dna analysis.

I followed this thread from the Amanda Eller link. I am curious to learn if Jessica was heard from after or during her vacation to Hi in Nov 2000? Did she stay in Hi because she enjoyed her vacation that much or does the ffamily have tht information? I noted her missing report filed in Honolulu in 2002? Was it early '02 or after the March '02 phone call tht left her mother uneasy? I am asking for clarification on whether this non-return from vacation was an immediate concern to family or did Jessica Urbina inform family of a decision to stay in HI & not return to Montreal, Quebec? Or was this a 6mth-12 month vacation? Was there a plan to stay in advance or was she suddenly in a bad situation while in HI?

I lived in Puna in 2015 less than 15 miles from where the campsite was found , I watch the news on TV and with internet and never heard of this case until I joined Websleuths in 2017.
Searched Hawaii 24/7 missing persons archives - only goes back to 2008 . I could not find a missing person report on Jessica Urbina.
To me it appears the police are searching for INFO on Jessica Urbina - not searching for Jessica Urbina .
The lack of information from the police and lack of inquires/outrage from family makes me think the worst.

I lived in Puna in 2015 less than 15 miles from where the campsite was found , I watch the news on TV and with internet and never heard of this case until I joined Websleuths in 2017.
Searched Hawaii 24/7 missing persons archives - only goes back to 2008 . I could not find a missing person report on Jessica Urbina.
To me it appears the police are searching for INFO on Jessica Urbina - not searching for Jessica Urbina .
The lack of information from the police and lack of inquires/outrage from family makes me think the worst.
It's possible her mother was Jessica's only close family and since her mother is deceased, they can't find a person to get a DNA sample from?

It's possible her mother was Jessica's only close family and since her mother is deceased, they can't find a person to get a DNA sample from?
Yes that is possible - only 1 of the many articles from 2016 (after mom passed) mention they are getting DNA from family members but with one NEWS source saying they found some things with JAs name on them and the other saying they found ONE item with her name on it. Its hard to know what to believe.
I do know the HPD gets a bazillion missing person reports and people do disappear but most times its just somebody left/ran away or extended their stay or hopped to another island ,etc and didn't want to tell anyone.
living on the cheap in hostels and camps is an easy way to get your stuff stolen.
Also a search shows there are dozens of Jessica Urbinas in the USA and many are in her age range
Maybe she changed her life and the bones are of some thief .

Are remains found in Hawaii Canadian woman missing 15 years?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back