Identified! CO - Boulder Co., Human Foot UP15396, Eldora Mtn ski area, Jun'16 - Ervin Mettler

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
From June 2:

http://kdvr.com/2016/06/02/boot-containing-human-remains-found-at-eldora-mountain-ski-resort/

A boot containing human remains was found Wednesday at Eldora Mountain Ski Area, the Boulder County Sheriff's Office said.

The boot was found near the base of the mountain and the sheriff's office was notified about 4:30 p.m...

Deputies who went to the ski resort Wednesday described the boot as “wet and weathered.” It likely had been covered by snowpack. It's not known how long the boot and remains had been in the clearing.

Today:

http://kdvr.com/2016/07/01/severed-...i-resort-does-not-belong-to-missing-employee/

The Boulder County Coroner’s Office released the results of DNA tests on Friday. The results did not identify the victim, but ruled out Ryder Johnson...

The boot is a Rugged Outback men’s Apex Leather waterproof boot, size 13, for the left foot.

Namus

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15396

That's a serious winter hiking boot. Definitely not a ski boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An article stated that they thought they discovered a makeshift camp near where the second remains were located. So a theory would be that animal(s) move boot/foot #1 from the camp area north of Peterson Lake to the base of the sundance lift, which is just to the west of the large parking area.

An article stated that they thought they discovered a makeshift camp near where the second remains were located. So a theory would be that animal(s) move boot/foot #1 from the camp area north of Peterson Lake to the base of the sundance lift, which is just to the west of the large parking area.

That sounds likely.

It looks like this location is downstream from the first location, so maybe both boots were carried downhill by erosion or gravity? The knee joint is one of the first to become disarticulated from decay.

That sounds likely.

It looks like this location is downstream from the first location, so maybe both boots were carried downhill by erosion or gravity? The knee joint is one of the first to become disarticulated from decay.

From what I could piece together from reports, it looks like these are the approximate locations of the remains. Location 1 was at the base of the Sundance lift closer to the ski area. Location 2 was further east, above Peterson Lake. Based on the terrain, I would expect the foot found by the sundance lift to be washed down by the lake.

eldora.jpg

If that's the location, then yes, it clearly couldn't be just erosion. I thought they meant more to the left, though, on the flat where the river goes into the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back