OH - Shawn Michael GRATE: 3 bodies found, Ashland/Madison, Sept 2016

It just makes the prosecutor prove, beyond all reasonable doubt, that he is in fact guilty of murdering those women. I don't think he's admitted to murdering them has he? I'm a bit behind.

He confessed to stabbing the Jane Doe found in Marion in 2007. He said she was selling magazine that never came in the mail. He said he lured her by saying he wanted to buy more magazines, taking her to his house and stabbing her in his basement. Then he dumped the body. Then a year after dumping the body he got worried about DNA so he went back and burned the body. This was all shared in a press conference by the Marion County Sheriff. He also told a girlfriend about that murder but the girlfriend didn't believe him. LE has not yet been able to ID her and gave all this info to ask for the public's help.

Other than that case I don't think we are privy to what he confessed for his involvement in the death of the others. He may be claiming he just dumped all those other women after they OD'd. He plead not guilty in the two murders and the abduction charge. He has not yet been charged for the other 3 deaths we know about so far.

The two met at a farmers market back in 2013 while Grate was selling his assortment of handmade signs."He and I got to talking and the more we talked, the more we just kind of hit it off," Denis said.
He told me when they were together, Grate barely looked, let alone lusted after women; it was actually quite the opposite.
"He said 'really I think I like men more than women' is the way he put it, so he never really said he was gay or not gay, but that was kind of his indication."
All was well with them until one day Grate asked Denis to borrow $1,500. Tim declined, and that's when their relationship took a strange turn.
"He called me every name in the book started like putting these verbal purses on me," Denis said.
In one of those text messages, Grate threatened to give him bedbugs, but that wasn't the worst part.
"The part they got me was the conclusion he made the statement 'meet the other me' and when I saw that I just got chills," said Denis.
The next morning, Grate flipped, sending a 'good morning' text message, as if nothing happened.

"I've been hanging out with a murderer, and I didn't even know it."Tim and Shawn last saw each other at a storefront in downtown Mansfield, which is now abandoned. It's where Grate use to work and live.
Their interaction was back in the spring of 2015, and Denis says he hasn't heard from Grate since then.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...know-it-grates-friend-laments-on-relationship

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 188
  • sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 187
Cassie Nist ‏@cassienist 2h2 hours ago
I'm told that all law enforcement agencies c/w Shawn Grate case and some surrounding agencies will gather to go over all case details today

https://twitter.com/cassienist

Wait, is this guy really implying he thinks SG is gay? Or just acted that way to charm him? We have heard of numerous women he tried to seduce and numerous girlfriends, he was married at least once and he has at least 3 children by different women. If he was also gay (or bi) I NEVER saw this revelation coming. I'm thinking we may have to open the possible victims to include men if this is the case. :panic:

Wait, is this guy really implying he thinks SG is gay? Or just acted that way to charm him? We have heard of numerous women he tried to seduce and numerous girlfriends, he was married at least once and he has at least 3 children by different women. If he was also gay (or bi) I NEVER saw this revelation coming. I'm thinking we may have to open the possible victims to include men if this is the case. :panic:

I guess we will see if more men start to come out of the woodwork or not. Anything is possible with this guy.

I guess we will see if more men start to come out of the woodwork or not. Anything is possible with this guy.

I'm almost done adding the known victims to the timeline I posted earlier. There is a big gap from 2005 to 2015. Just like the Marion Sheriff said, I doubt he went 10+ years before killing again.

Re SG and homosexuality:
A few days I found a FB profile of the landlord and I thought there may have been more to the "generosity" he showed towards SG. That said, the two witnesses to his advances as well as all of the deceased (that we know about) are female - so perhaps he was a tortured soul. It wouldn't be the first time that a repressed gay male was a SK of females...

ETA: I am traveling at the moment and so I only have my phone for the next few days. I would love to update the case map but it's not possible with just my phone... If anybody else has the chance - I am not the least bit possessive :) - feel free to make a copy of the map and add in other locations...

Interview with one of his ex-girlfriends:
“They were asking me a lot of questions. Evidently, he told the police that he told me things, but I didn’t believe him. He never told me he killed anyone. They were asking me a lot of questions about a red car that he used to drive that ended up being repossessed,” Hildreth said.

Hildreth said that Grate’s charm could be replaced with evil in the blink of an eye.

“He would get angry over things that most people would not be upset over,” she said. “We argued a lot about the fact he would not get a job and he was always doing things to make me late for work, trying to get me fired. He wanted me to quit working, and said his dad would pay our bills. I never did, and he didn’t like it. I think he wanted to isolate me from others.”

Hildreth said Grate hit her and choked her several times, but she was afraid to leave.

“He always apologized and said he wouldn’t do it again,” Hildreth said.

She said Grate gave her a ring which he had said belonged to his mother.

“I found out later he had been in prison for robbery. He said he robbed an elderly woman, so I wonder now if that was a ring he stole from her,” Hildreth said.

Hildreth said things came to a head between her and Grate in 2010 when they lived at Woodbine Apartments in Bucyrus.

Hildreth said Grate pushed her over the sofa then gave her a black eye. In the struggle, she said Grate broke her hand.

“My hand was swelling up rapidly. I begged him to let me go to the hospital, and he finally gave in and drove me. He told me I better tell them I fell,” Hildreth said.

She said at the hospital, Grate stayed right by her side while she registered for the emergency department at Bucyrus Community Hospital.

“He then went into the triage room with me where the nurse asked if I felt safe at home. Of course I had to say yes, he was sitting right there,” Hildreth said. “That needs to change for all victims of domestic violence. Don’t ask us in front of a man that could potentially be our abuser.”

The two were then placed in an examination room.

“He wasn’t asked to leave until they brought in the mobile X-ray unit. But instead of having him wait in the hall, they sent him to the waiting room. I immediately told the nurse and doctor that he had injured me. The doctor said he knew because of the black eye and the fact that I had a broken hand from ‘falling,’ yet I had a knot on the back of my head,” Hildreth said.

As the police cars pulled up to the emergency department entrance, Grate saw them and took off.
Much, much more at link: http://galioninquirer.com/news/12965/confessed-killers-ex-girlfriend-lucky-to-be-alive

Ok, here comes the long timeline post up next.

Shawn Grate Timeline Events relating to his murder/abduction victims are in red

November 1994: Arrested for assault charges in Marion

January 1996: Criminal damaging charge

January 1996: Disorderly conduct charge

1995: Shawn Grate graduated from River Valley High School in Marion, Ohio.

Between 1996 and 2005 in Marion County, Grate was charged repeatedly with misdemeanor charges involving aggression toward women: assault, criminal damage (he ripped a woman's shirt), aggravated menacing, phone harassment, violation of a protection order and domestic violence.

October 1996, Grate and a juvenile accomplice broke into a home by prying open a sliding glass door and stole jewelry and money, according to Marion Common Pleas Court records.

January 1997: Grate was convicted on a burglary charge in Marion County and sentenced to four years in prison, but he was granted judicial release after serving 180 days.

1997: Grate’s request for judicial release was granted and his sentence was commuted to five years of community control.

January 1, 1999: His facebook page claims he went to “Houston, Texes”. It’s unclear if he actually went there but he had to add that date and location himself (fb was not in existence in 1999).

February 1999: Drug abuse, unlawful restraint and assault charges

March 1999: Grate was found guilty of disorderly conduct, unlawful restraint and criminal trespassing. Two counts of aggravated menacing. Telephone harassment.

April 1999: violation of a protection order

Oct. 22, 1999: Marion County, Grate approached two women with a long butcher knife while they were in a bedroom, blocking the doorway and hitting the women several times. One of the woman tried to leave to call 911, and he physically restrained her while she was holding Grate’s minor child. This led to an indictment on two third-degree felony abduction counts and one first-degree misdemeanor child endangering count. He pleaded guilty to one abduction count and was sentenced to five years of probation. A second count of abduction and a child endangerment charge were dropped.

Sept 1999: Grate had a son with LB.

Dec. 22, 1999: Marion County, his judicial release in the 1996 case was revoked due to the abduction charge, and Grate was sentenced to the remainder of the four-year prison term.

2003: A woman who said she was the mother of his son reported she had been assaulted by Grate, according to a Marion County Sheriff's Office report. He told deputies they had argued and she scratched him.

Oct 2003: Two counts of domestic violence

Between 2003-2005: Grate lures a magazine saleswoman into his car, takes her to his house in Marion, Ohio and stabs her to death in his basement. He dumps her body on Victory Rd in Marion. A year later he becomes worried about DNA and returns to burn the body. He confessed to this murder after his arrest in Sept 2016 but could not remember the year it happened.

Dec 2005: Theft charge

Jan. 19, 2007: Crawford County, Grate was charged with misdemeanor counts of falsification, identity theft, obstruction, driving under suspension and false registration. For each of the five counts, he was sentenced to between 10 and 60 days in jail and required to pay fines ranging from $50 to $250.

March 10, 2007: A Jane Doe is found off Victory Rd. in Marion County. She has been stabbed to death and the body burned making her identification difficult.

2008: Richland County child custody case between Grate and LB.

July 7, 2009: Crawford County, Grate was charged with possession of marijuana and fined $50.

July 2009: Arrested by the Ohio Highway Patrol on a charge of failure to pay child support and failure to appear for review hearing.

May 8, 2010: Grate flipped his girlfriend over the foot of the bed and hit her in the face twice. Grate went on to grab her by the throat and sit on her, according to reports. Police said Grate allowed her to get up to wash her face, but then grabbed her again by the throat and told her not to leave the bathroom or he would "beat her face in." That's when police arrived and arrested Grate.

June 10, 2010: Crawford County, Grate was charged with first-degree misdemeanor domestic violence. After pleading guilty, Grate was fined $150 and was sentenced to 180 days in the Crawford County
Correction Center, but got 10 days off for good behavior.

Dec 2011: Grate Married ANB

Dec 2012: Grate divorced ANB

From 2012 to March 2016, Grate’s home address was listed as 165 Cliffbrook Dr., according to Richland County Sheriff and Mansfield Police Department records.

October 2012: Grate allegedly helped another suspect get away with shoplifting at a Dollar General on Lexington Avenue in Mansfield.

January 2013: Grate allegedly sent threatening texts to his ex-wife saying he was 'preparing for a grand finale.'

March 2013: Grate’s ex-wife, ANB, reported receiving threatening calls from him. Grate called his ex-wife at her place of work and told her, 'If I can't see my daughter then no one will,' a statement she took as a clear threat to both her and her little girl. The police report states Grate made the call because “she hasn’t given him any financial support since their divorce in December.” ANB had custody of the child and did not allow visitation, according to the police report.

April 2013: Grate’s ex-wife, ANB, was granted a domestic violence civil protection order preventing Grate from coming within 500 feet of her and their child.

August 13, 2013: Richland County, Grate pleaded guilty to charges of drug abuse, possession of drug paraphernalia and receiving stolen property. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail and fined $100 for each count.

April 2014: Grate was then charged with criminal mischief in when he allegedly wrote “cheese” on a woman's window.

July 15, 2014: Richland County, Grate pleaded not guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia, but the case was dismissed.

July 2014 to February 2015: Grate violated probation 4 times according to police records.

Nov 2014: Possession of drug paraphernalia charge.

2015: Grate started working at Mansfield’s Holiday Inn as “a maintenance man” according to his facebook page.

Feb 6, 2015: Rebekah Leicy is reported missing. She had last been seen Jan. 22, 2015 on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Street in Mansfield.

February 2015: Grate allegedly stole jewelry items from a woman. The police report listed her as Grate’s girlfriend at the time. When Richland Source News called the woman she denied knowing Grate.

March 16, 2015: The body of Rebekah Leicy is discovered in Ashland County behind a large tree on County Road 1908. Official cause of death is a drug overdose but manner of death is undetermined. There is evidence her body was dumped after death.

June 2016: Grate was kicked out of his 132 W. Second St. apartment in Mansfield for failure to pay rent. His girlfriend who lived with him at the time, Candice Cunningham, was also evicted.

June 2016: Grate allegedly murdered a woman and left her body in the woods behind 1027 Park Avenue East in Madison Twp, a burned out house in Richland County. He confessed to this when arrested Sept 13[SUP]th[/SUP], 2016. On Sept 19[SUP]th[/SUP], 2016, officials positively ID her as his girlfriend Candice Cunningham. She had not been reported missing.

June 20, 2016: The landlord who kicked Grate out of the Second St apartment had his truck torched. There were no suspects in the arson investigation.

June 20, 2016: Richland County, a sheriff's deputy stopped Grate for suspicious behavior. He was wanted on a felony child support warrant. As the officer was relaying Grate's social security number to a dispatcher, Grate began to run and would not stop despite multiple requests. The officer attempted to stun Grate, but did not hit him. Grate escaped, but in the process lost his shoes, which the sheriff's department kept as evidence.

June 2016: Charge of obstructing official business

June 20-21, 2016: House fire at 1027 Park Avenue East in Madison Township

August 16, 2016: Elizabeth Griffith disappeared from a Walmart/ALDI parking lot in Ashland

Sept. 8, 2016: Stacey Stanley had a flat tire at the BP station and subsequently disappeared. She was last seen with a man fitting Grate’s description helping her with the tire.

Sept. 11, 2016: Grate allegedly took a woman against her will and held her in a bedroom at 363 Covert Court in Ashland, across from the Fourth Street Laundromat.

Sept. 13, 2016: The woman held at 363 Covert Court in Ashland got free from her restraints and called 911. She was rescued and in the process of processing the scene, LE found 2 dead bodies. One of those bodies was confirmed to be Stacey Stanley.

Sept. 15, 2016: Grate was charged with 2 counts of Murder and 1 count of kidnapping in Ashland County. He is accused of murdering Elizabeth Griffith (AKA “Mary Doe” in court records) sometime between August 16[SUP]th[/SUP] and Sept 13[SUP]th[/SUP] and murdering Stacey Stanley Between Sept 8[SUP]th[/SUP] and Sept 13. He is accused of kidnapping Jane Doe Sept 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and holding her against her will for the purpose of sex until Sept 13[SUP]th[/SUP] when he was arrested.

Sept. 19, 2016: Grate pleads “not guilty” to 2 counts of murder and 1 count of kidnapping in Ashland County Common Pleas Court. He waives his right to a speedy trial.

Sept. 19, 2016: Officials positively ID the body found behind 1027 Park Avenue East in Madison Twp as Candice Cunningham. She was from Canton and had not been reported missing.

Sept. 19, 2016: Officials confirm they have re-opened Rebekah Leicy’s case as a murder investigation and that her death may be related to Shawn Grate.

Sept. 19,2016: The FBI confirms they are assisting in the investigation of Shawn Grate.

Other items of note without a date:

Court records indicate Grate has moved around a lot, with addresses on Woodbine Street in Bucyrus, on Curren Drive and East Fairground Street in Marion and West Second Street in Mansfield.

According to a case worker at Harmony House in Mansfield, Grate was a client there at some point in time. The case worker did not provide records to confirm.

According to Mansfield Baptist Temple Pastor Rob Kurtz, Grate attended the church on Stewart Road a number of years ago.

The house on Covert court in Ashland is owned by Pumphouse Ministries and was previously used with the house next door for men coming out of shelters, but had been vacant since March 2016.

Grate worked at Save-a-lot in Ashland at some point recently but lost the job. It was the last job he mentioned having at his bond hearing on Sept 15.

Grate owned a red car that was repossessed sometime around 2010.

Grate often borrowed his landlord's truck and car in 2015/2016 (the truck was the one torched in an unsolved arson June 20 2016).

I should have the timeline completed with sources completed tomorrow. Kind of hectic past few days at work.

Ex-landlord Jim Cristman said BCI and police detectives took his Mark VIII Lincoln away on a flatbed tow truck Monday, but said they would return it soon.
Cristman had allowed Grate to use his two vehicles, the car and a truck, when Grate was his tenant , he said. The arrangement called for Grate to work off his rent, doing odd jobs for his then landlord. He later found out Grate had made an extra set of keys to his car.

David James Kulig, 38, of Mansfield, owned the building and was the proprietor of the Eclectic Tempo, where he taught poetry, music, magic, art and pool. Kulig died of natural causes May 28, 2014 in his apartment above the shop, according to Richland County coroner's investigator Bob Ball. His parents, Jim and Jean Kulig, now own the building.

Leicy's relatives have said Jan. 22, 2015 was the last time any family saw Leicy.
Grate's Facebook post that same date, stated, "Make moments such as this one of many with your friends in this life because one day they will help you to make it to tomorrow."

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...ongings-during-search-landlord-says/90738374/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article did an interview with a source that was in jail with SG.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/shawn...l-killer-stacey-stanley-victims-photos-video/

The source also said many prisoners believed Grate was homosexual because he was “very close” with an inmate known as Freddie. He said Freddie was openly gay and incarcerated for murder.

“We all knew he [Grate] was gay. Freddie wasn’t constantly by his side for no reason. We knew what they were doing together,” the source said

This article did an interview with a source that was in jail with SG.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/shawn...l-killer-stacey-stanley-victims-photos-video/

I believe he is gay. Repressing it causes issues. If he was in recovery and struggling with homelessness - many programs to help are faith based (although NA is not faith based). Reading scripture, meeting in churches and surrounding yourself with a lifestyle that also is telling you your gay desires are the devil and you're going to spend eternity in hell can't be healthy. People don't wake up and decide to be gay - this is who they are. Living a lie could have made him snap - but with his rap sheet we know he didn't just "snap", he has been abusive towards women for nearly 20 years. He may have a sex addiction and possibly resents women because he can't get off the way he does when he is with a man. Then we add in the drugs. Drug induced rage, sex and paranoia and then when he couldn't get his fix - more rage. I honestly believe he fathered those children from relationships he had while trying to force himself to be heterosexual.

Yeah. Repressing it and being told it's wrong and it will send you straight to hell your whole life DOES cause issues. It could be one of the underlying causes to his drug use and violence towards women in the first place. I think there is something in his brain not wired correctly.

I believe he is gay. Repressing it causes issues. If he was in recovery and struggling with homelessness - many programs to help are faith based (although NA is not faith based). Reading scripture, meeting in churches and surrounding yourself with a lifestyle that also is telling you your gay desires are the devil and you're going to spend eternity in hell can't be healthy. People don't wake up and decide to be gay - this is who they are. Living a lie could have made him snap - but with his rap sheet we know he didn't just "snap", he has been abusive towards women for nearly 20 years. He may have a sex addiction and possibly resents women because he can't get off the way he does when he is with a man. Then we add in the drugs. Drug induced rage, sex and paranoia and then when he couldn't get his fix - more rage. I honestly believe he fathered those children from relationships he had while trying to force himself to be heterosexual.

It sounds more like he was a sociopath and/or malignant narcissist that's why he acted as he did, not because he was a repressed gay man.

smh.

Appears far more likely he got off sexually on other people's suffering- I don't think his gender preferences have a single thing to do with it. And yeah, it's possible he has male victims as well if he's also had sex with men.

I watched the 11:00 PM Channel 10 news on WBNS-TV in Columbus Tuesday night. During the newscast about Shawn Grate, it showed a 15 second clip of the murder scene from Marion County.

In that clip, the body had already been removed and the grass had been burned black.

That clip got me thinking that perhaps he could have burned the body in late 2006 or early 2007.

If a grass has been burned, I wonder how long it takes a burned grass to grow back into green grass. :waitasec:

I think his sexual preference of the moment was whoever he could seduce to give him what he wants in terms of money, food, a place to stay, and material support. He's a sociopath. He will use anyone he can in any way he wants to get hat he wants out of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vsora1
Back