Found Deceased MO - William "Bill" Simmons, 45, St. Francois County, 24 Sept 2016

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
* Someone found a capsized canoe and alerted authorities
* LE believe they know who the man is but have not released a name
* The unidentified boater posted facebook photos of himself in the boat on the lake on Sept 23, 2016
* The man was talking on the phone until 1:30 AM while fishing
* Le went his house and found wet clothes and some other items but the man was not there

Iron Mountain Lake Police, the St. Francois County Sheriff’s Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol are all assisting in the search for the man. As of 5:30 p.m. the sheriff’s department had their dive team suited up and ready to go into the lake to do an underwater search.

A water patrol boat is also in the water where the capsized boat was located.
http://dailyjournalonline.com/updat...cle_6ecf6e15-7cae-524f-b2a6-9628788f3e47.html

Cpl. Wheetley said that some wet clothes at the man's house that were believed to be his. However, the man has still not been found.
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/33184127/crews-search-for-missing-boater-in-st-francois-co-mo

*Searches were called off after dark but will resume 9 AM Sunday Morning*

I wonder what the story is here. Would he have gone home and changed out of wet clothes and THEN gone missing?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I wonder what the story is here. Would he have gone home and changed out of wet clothes and THEN gone missing?

I thought that was strange too! I don't usually post missing boaters because the outcome is usually obvious but I'm not so sure he drowned.

I thought that was strange too! I don't usually post missing boaters because the outcome is usually obvious but I'm not so sure he drowned.
Agreed. Overturned boat, yeah, but his wet clothes in the house make me wonder...

New details: The search for the missing man is still ongoing, but as of this afternoon authorities have left it in the hands of the community after divers searched and were unable to locate the man.

Mayor Dustin Steinc is making a plea to anyone who has a boat and could assist in searching.

"They have left it up to us and we won't quit until he is found," said Steinc. "We are looking for anyone who can help. It's such a large area to search, so we need all the help we can get."

http://dailyjournalonline.com/new-d...cle_6ecf6e15-7cae-524f-b2a6-9628788f3e47.html

SO authorities are appealing to the community which doesn't happen very often this early. Odd way to go about a search too when they STILL haven't revealed his name! If they told people who they were searching for maybe more locals would join the search. JMO.

I wonder who he was talking to until 1:30 am while fishing? It's interesting that he posted a photo of himself while fishing, too. Could he be faking his own death? Totally weird that wet clothes were found at home.

I wonder who he was talking to until 1:30 am while fishing? It's interesting that he posted a photo of himself while fishing, too. Could he be faking his own death? Totally weird that wet clothes were found at home.

I'd like to see his social media accounts. Maybe he's just an avid social media user, but maybe you're right. That's an interesting question.

Great! Now we can try to find his fb and see if we can see pics of the boat...
I think I found his profile. If so, no boat pic (probably "friends only") but profile pic is him with a fish and location is Bismarck MO.

Ok, I must be blind because I can't find his name in the article above. Is it just not updating for me for some reason?

Ok, I must be blind because I can't find his name in the article above. Is it just not updating for me for some reason?
It hasn't updated in the first article. Scroll down to the 2nd one I believe.

I think I found his profile. If so, no boat pic (probably "friends only") but profile pic is him with a fish and location is Bismarck MO.

I think I found that same profile. I'll wait until MSM releases a pic of him before posting it though. He has a common name, so don't want to post the wrong fb.

I think I found that same profile. I'll wait until MSM releases a pic of him before posting it though. He has a common name, so don't want to post the wrong fb.

I do believe it is him. I found a cousin who posted an article with his FB page linked to the post.

From your link becca.......

"Steinc said some of the furniture in Simmons’ house was damp, but from what he heard from the local police and family there wasn’t any wet clothes discovered."

“I think what had happened was someone called that in and it went across the radio,” said Steinc. “At that point everybody had that impression, (but that apparently wasn't the case).”

"Steinc said Simmons was a single man who lived alone and was on the phone with his mom late that night while he was fishing."

“It wasn’t until after midnight that they hung up,” said Steinc. “He was just fishing and calling around asking people to go fishing with him.”

"Steinc stressed Simmons was pretty active on Facebook but hasn’t been in contact with anyone since being reported missing."

"'We are out searching (the lake), but we are going door to door also. I know the patrol reported they found wet clothing, but I think there was a misunderstanding.'

Steinc said some of the furniture in Simmons’ house was damp, but from what he heard from the local police and family there wasn’t any wet clothes discovered."

At first I thought, "Wet furniture!?" After thinking for a minute, however, I am wondering if the local police and family found in Bill's house, say, a door of a wardrobe damp, assumed that he had hung some wet clothes on it, which led them to believe that he returned home after the fishing trip and perhaps even changed into another set of clothes (before disappearing).

If "some of the furniture in Simmons' house" being damp is the only thing that is leading the family and LE to believe that Bill might have made it home after after his canoe capsized, then sadly, I think he is still in the water. I would like to know first, though, if he drove himself (and his canoe) to the lake that day, and if so, whether his vehicle (more likely a truck/SUV) has been found, and if so the location, or if he had someone else drop him (and the canoe) off there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back