KY KY - Kelly Hollan, 6, Hindman, 13 Feb 1982

People are making too much of the child playing outside for a few hours. Most parents back then were not helicopter parents the way so many are now. When I was a kid, it would not have been unusual for me to be out of bed and out of the house before my mother was even awake. She worked nights and slept during the day, so I was sometimes up and about for hours before she got up. I'd fix myself a bowl of cereal and then I'd be at the park or playing in the woods for a couple of hours (until I wanted something to eat).

People are making too much of the child playing outside for a few hours. Most parents back then were not helicopter parents the way so many are now. When I was a kid, it would not have been unusual for me to be out of bed and out of the house before my mother was even awake. She worked nights and slept during the day, so I was sometimes up and about for hours before she got up. I'd fix myself a bowl of cereal and then I'd be at the park or playing in the woods for a couple of hours (until I wanted something to eat).

I have to agree.

I just dont like that he was out all that time and not any snow layers, even jacket zipper was broken. I live in Massachusetts have 4 kids who love the snow. They could be out for hours running around with the neighbors. But they are bundled and they do come in once and a while for things like new gloves cause theres are wet and such. Having no contact for that long with a kid that young is not possible. No way my 5 year old would run around in wet clothes for that long without coming to complain.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just dont like that he was out all that time and not any snow layers, even jacket zipper was broken. I live in Massachusetts have 4 kids who love the snow. They could be out for hours running around with the neighbors. But they are bundled and they do come in once and a while for things like new gloves cause theres are wet and such. Having no contact for that long with a kid that young is not possible. No way my 5 year old would run around in wet clothes for that long without coming to complain.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I also agree with Jinkz1979,

I would have to go back and reread the posts, but my gut instinct told me at the time, I did not trust Kelly's Mother. It is not only Kelly being out for that length of time, but for her to just go about her business and not have him not come in for a change of clothes, a snack, a nap, considering a child that young, spells neglect to me.

Satch

PS. Charlie Project seems to have updated information on the case. Do we have anything about the Mother's boyfriend or the specific "Criminal Histories" of the neighbors? More likely that this little guy sadley met with foul play than just wondered off IMO. Here is the data from Charlie Project:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollan_kelly.html

Search For Missing Knott Co. Child Continues 35 Years Later

http://www.lex18.com/story/33764498/search-for-missing-knott-co-child-continues-35-years-later

Nearly 35 years ago, a young boy disappeared in Eastern Kentucky.

Kelly Junior Hollan was just 6-years-old the last time he was seen in 1982.

“For lack of a better, a better term, he just kind of disappeared into thin air,” said Trooper Jody Sims with the Kentucky State Police.

Although tips and leads have turned up little to nothing in the investigation, KSP Detective Chris Collins has taken on the case that has little evidence.

“I think it's safe to say someone, still in this world, knows what happened to him,” said Trooper Sims.

The last time police got a tip was in 2015. They hope people will continue to talk about the case and report information to State Police.

What does that area look like now?

I also agree with Jinkz1979,

I would have to go back and reread the posts, but my gut instinct told me at the time, I did not trust Kelly's Mother. It is not only Kelly being out for that length of time, but for her to just go about her business and not have him not come in for a change of clothes, a snack, a nap, considering a child that young, spells neglect to me.

Satch

PS. Charlie Project seems to have updated information on the case. Do we have anything about the Mother's boyfriend or the specific "Criminal Histories" of the neighbors? More likely that this little guy sadley met with foul play than just wondered off IMO. Here is the data from Charlie Project:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollan_kelly.html

I go back and forth on this one, but foul play at the hands of a neighbor is a possibility. A predator could have used the cold weather as a opportunity and said to the boy, "Hey Pal, how'd you like to come in for a cup of hot chocolate to get warm?" Kids tend to be very trusting. Even though they're often told not to talk to strangers, very few pay attention to that advice.

It's also possible, though, that the boy wandered off and died accidentally. In cases like this, we often learn that the initial search area was way too small.

The mother's delay in contacting police could mean she knows something, but it could also mean that she was simply neglectful.

What does that area look like now?

Probably much the same as it did then. There's abandoned mines there, too. Back then, when it snowed so much, we didn't really get that much snow, at least in my memory, and it was a big deal. We didn't have all that snow gear like they do now. It seems though, that if he'd wandered off into the wooded areas, or into a mine, with that much snow, there'd been footprints to follow, leading out of his yard, and into the woods. Unless he was just all over the place and with other kids.

attachment.php

Attachments

• larkslane.jpg
    larkslane.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 43
pine tree hollow area <---- Screenshot of the Pine Tree Hollow area in Larkslane as of 2018.

It looks like most of the mining area has since been reclaimed, so they're probably frequented often by people on side-by-sides and other ATV's.
The house that Kelly lived in has been torn down, but I would love to know where it stood. I think to me the most perplexing thing about this entire tragedy is that Judy wasn't allowed to use the phone until after midnight.
#1 Why would anyone tell you that you couldn't use the phone to report your CHILD missing. I remember the days of having to pay long distance fees until after a certain time of the night... but still... I wonder if the grandmother was questioned about why or even if she wouldn't let Judy use the phone...
#2 If she did decline to let her use the phone, why wouldn't Judy just go to another person's house to ask to use the phone? Surely someone would have allowed her to...

Kelly, there are people out there that still want to bring you home!!!!!

I'm sorry to report this, but it looks like I may have found him.
Unidentified Person Case
The scar on his face is in THE SAME PLACE as Kelly's. I understand Kentucky is a long way from Albuquerque, but he seems the right age and you can't deny the scar. :(

This didn't have much traction here, adding that the geographical magazines from other countries and purple clothing point toward a man from Eastern Europe. Purple isn't usually worn by North American men unless they follow a few specific sports teams -- Minnesota Vikings for example. NamUS doesn't provide brand names for the clothing other than the Adidas shoes. Pictures of the Adidas shoes, and the jacket, could help us.

Anyone meeting Kelly "Junior" Hollan would likely hear a strong accent. Don't know about you, but I 'hear' Tulessa's posts that way, I love regional accents!

Re: Mom. Upthread, it is posted that Mom has trouble with seizures. If Mom had a seizure that afternoon, she may have been unconscious then asleep for hours. She may not want to admit that she could not check on her son?

Kelly, wherever you are, some of us do care & want to bring you home to all the family members who care about you!

He went missing not far from where I grew up. His accent would be thick as molasses.

To answer the comment made by one person about the mother not checking on him. Back then it was pretty normal to let us out to play without checking on us for periods of time. Things were different then. How many of you can remember being a latch key kid?

Honestly, the one issue I have had with this is how the mom's boyfriend didn't let her call the state boys until hours later. Old timers said that he was dead back in one of the old coal mines.

can the mines still be checked or are they off limits for safety reasons?

You have company mines and this is the thing you will have family mines the public wouldn't know about. I am not sure if anyone realizes how the Appalachians can be growth wise. There are a lot of place you could put a body and it would never be found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back