TKS S1 E6: "A Killer on the Road".

Yes! I was wearing black jeans and a black t-shirt. nothing tight either!

You're a striking woman. He probably would have said that to you even if you were wearing flannel pajamas [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to give some information to this investigation on these cases. I am an X pro X lot lizard X drug user and could help. I am from Cocoa Beach and Atlantic City and worked the truck stops in Texas and Oaklahoma 1985 thru 1988

the long-hauler phenomena will NEVER stop,even if ViCAP was perfect----the victim pool is self-perpetuating and basically never-ending----It's like trying to keep sharks from eating fish
It should be apart of the hiring process, all truckers should have to give a sample of their DNA. They already do background checks and test for drugs as part of the screening process, why not make giving a blood sample part of it as well? The samples should be submitted to CODIS, then if DNA is recovered during a homicide investigation they would only have to submit it to the national database in order to get a hit. It wouldn't stop a serial killer from offending, but it would make it a lot harder for them to get away with it, and a lot easier for law enforcement. Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

It should be apart of the hiring process, all truckers should have to give a sample of their DNA. They already do background checks and test for drugs as part of the screening process, why not make giving a blood sample part of it as well? The samples should be submitted to CODIS, then if DNA is recovered during a homicide investigation they would only have to submit it to the national database in order to get a hit. It wouldn't stop a serial killer from offending, but it would make it a lot harder for them to get away with it, and a lot easier for law enforcement. Just an idea.

Personally I think the constitution over rides that idea. I do not think we can constitutionally single out certain segments of the population because of what might happen.

IMO at the very least a CORI background check should be required in all states. I am unsure of the status of that currently.

:cow:

I would like to give some information to this investigation on these cases. I am an X pro X lot lizard X drug user and could help. I am from Cocoa Beach and Atlantic City and worked the truck stops in Texas and Oaklahoma 1985 thru 1988

Welcome to Ws Theluckyone9!
Glad you are still " here" and here, on Ws.
Someone will no doubt will post current information about where to send any tips that you may have!

:Welcome1: Theluckyone9! Your input is likely valuable.

If you have information you think can benefit Law Enforcement check out the contact numbers in this thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ason-Episodes-1-and-2&p=12932616#post12932616

Check out the threads in all the sub forums for The Killing Season series here;
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?589-THE-KILLING-SEASON

First post. I am watching the series. So impressed, remembering Josh and Rachel's work on Cropsey; a documentary that was also amazing. Their work on the Daytona victims was excellent police work.

It should be a part of the hiring process, all truckers should have to give a sample of their DNA. They already do background checks and test for drugs as a part of the screening process, why not make giving a blood sample part of it as well?

Regarding the DNA registry, there may be civil rights issues. It's like fingerprinting everyone who applies to non-government jobs. Where does it end? Today the truckers, tomorrow everyone who posts on Websleuths, just in case the killer posts on the board.

It's not a real answer. I don't know what the answer is.

Welcome. To WS glad you are here .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

First post. I am watching the series. So impressed, remembering Josh and Rachel's work on Cropsey; a documentary that was also amazing. Their work on the Daytona victims was excellent police work.

Regarding the DNA registry, there may be civil rights issues. It's like fingerprinting everyone who applies to non-government jobs. Where does it end? Today the truckers, tomorrow everyone who posts on Websleuths, just in case the killer posts on the board.

It's not a real answer. I don't know what the answer is.
So let me interject a remedy here. I am all about my rights. Buy when I served in the army I had my finger prints taken before even going to boot camp.

Shouldn't a trucking job that travels all over the country require something on a national level ? If it's left to state by state it would be too hard to keep up with and fall through the cracks.

Aren't our major highways Federal or Government ? I am pretty sure if you kidnap someone and take them across state lines it becomes federal.

Just Saying

So let me interject a remedy here. I am all about my rights. Buy when I served in the army I had my finger prints taken before even going to boot camp.

Shouldn't a trucking job that travels all over the country require something on a national level ? If it's left to state by state it would be too hard to keep up with and fall through the cracks.

Aren't our major highways Federal or Government ? I am pretty sure if you kidnap someone and take them across state lines it becomes federal.

Just Saying

There is a grey area when it comes to the interstates. Interstates started out as a government program. However each state now is responsible for the portions of each interstate that runs in their state for maintaining the physical state of the road. Sadly federal and state laws do not always work together. Take for example alcohol. While alcohol is legal on the federal level there are still states, counties and cities who choose to deem it illegal. So you can purchase alcohol while in a area it's legal, however if you get pulled over while in a area deemed illegal you are getting your purchases confiscated and in some cases you are arrested for possession. I for one am a girl believer if something is legal on the federal level it should be legal on the state, county and town level.

In order to develop a system that works nationwide it would take full cooperation on all levels. I for one am all for DNA being taken at the time of birth so it is on file for LE. I am all for fingerprints being on file for every person and those should be taken when tjey get a drivers licence or state ID. Going about our DNA or fingerprint files would be for everyone and be more fair than making it mandatory for just certain sectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Where I grew up you're required to give your fingerprint or you don't get your driver's license and I mean just a class c. I would highly dislike having to give my dna for anything. But under these circumstances this particular line of work I think it should be considered. What do you all think?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Where I grew up you're required to give your fingerprint or you don't get your driver's license and I mean just a class c. I would highly dislike having to give my dna for anything. But under these circumstances this particular line of work I think it should be considered. What do you all think?

Given that there are about 500 unsolved murders where truck drivers are suspected, I agree.

Sidenote: Rachel and Josh just kind of left us hanging when that serial killer named another truck driver. I realize they passed that information to the proper authorities but I am looking forward to a follow-up.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

There is a grey area when it comes to the interstates. Interstates started out as a government program. However each state now is responsible for the portions of each interstate that runs in their state for maintaining the physical state of the road. Sadly federal and state laws do not always work together. Take for example alcohol. While alcohol is legal on the federal level there are still states, counties and cities who choose to deem it illegal. So you can purchase alcohol while in a area it's legal, however if you get pulled over while in a area deemed illegal you are getting your purchases confiscated and in some cases you are arrested for possession. I for one am a girl believer if something is legal on the federal level it should be legal on the state, county and town level.

In order to develop a system that works nationwide it would take full cooperation on all levels. I for one am all for DNA being taken at the time of birth so it is on file for LE. I am all for fingerprints being on file for every person and those should be taken when tjey get a drivers licence or state ID. Going about our DNA or fingerprint files would be for everyone and be more fair than making it mandatory for just certain sectors.

Actually those roads are maintained with federal funds still. That's why some police can't pull over on state hwy.

Not all companies do background checks. The drivers who apply for the TWIC card are given a background check. The hiring process for a driver (I have been in the hiring position) is to first run a check on the license to ensure it is valid, you woukd be surprised how many times a license is suspended and a driver is not aware of it.

Second check previous employment. A driver is required to report their prior 10 years of employment not just driving jobs, however only the last 2-4 habe to be verified.

The next step is to check with the companies insurance company to ensure they are able to insure the driver for the equipment.

Then a urine drug test is performed.

Most companies will require a driver to have a new DOT physical by the physician the company prefers even if they have a current valid DOT physical.

After these steps have been taken, if the company chooses to hire the driver there is a orientation where stacks of paperwork are completed, and training for certain things are performed before the driver is assigned a rig and starts hauling loads.

There are still some smaller companies out there on the fringe of the law. I worked with one such company last year. (I do freelance compliance work). The companies who are on the fringe of the law are on their way out and I am all for it. The small company who contracted me last year was illegal on many levels. They had purchased a rig, knew a man who held a CDL and hired him without checking anything at all. The truck was stopped in a weigh station, many violations were found and huge fines were implemented. It was then that they came to me to try and sort it all out. I spent 2 full weeks on the case. The company was out over 20k in fines and for my services, had they done things right from the very start they have many thousands of dollars more than they have now.

These outlaw companies are where you will find the drivers who are laying low to avoid the law as much as possible. I'm not saying every one of those drivers at those companies are the ones laying low, I'm only saying it makes it easier for them. I know several drivers who are working for these type of companies for other reasons like part time supplimental employment while retired from full time working.

Given that there are about 500 unsolved murders where truck drivers are suspected, I agree.

Sidenote: Rachel and Josh just kind of left us hanging when that serial killer named another truck driver. I realize they passed that information to the proper authorities but I am looking forward to a follow-up.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
If it's the correct person ? That's what Josh stated. He is a registered sex offender in Oregon. Didn't see any current activity under his registry myself. Might be some national registry I didn't see.

Actually those roads are maintained with federal funds still. That's why some police can't pull over on state hwy.

But the work is all done by state DOT workers. Perhaps I should have made that more clear. Sorry if I confused you in what I was trying to convey. Funding actually comes from a few sources. When we pay IFTA tax we report each mile driven in each state. We are nit required to say we ran X amount of miles on interstate 40 and X amount of miles on state route 221.

IFTA forms are sent into the state a company is registered to. You are reporting all states to your home state. Your home state then pays each state their portion based on your miles driven in their state and the amount of fuel tax you already paid by purchasing fuel in their state.

Now I'm going to post off topic but bc we have discussed dna I chose to post this here as well (I've posted this question & can't get an answer). I post this bc I have seen ppl comment " well they're entered in NamUs as a missing person so any unidentified remains/persons should show up if tgeyre entered as a match" But I thought that wasn't the case. Can someone clarify?
Not sure where to ask this questions so direct me if this is not a good place.

When a UID is entered into NamUs with their DNA; do they have a database in place that compares DNA and missing automatically? Does such a database exist?

It's my understanding that California takes felony convict's DNA and enters them into a state database. I've heard of cases where they've found a suspect by running their DNA within their state database & matching it to a relative's DNA who committed a felony, then it was just a matter of deciding which brother etc.

So my question is: Is there such a system in place for running missing person's DNA against UID(unidentified deceased) DNA? I have always heard that it has to be pointed out which MP should be compared to a certain UID or the comparison may never happen, even if they're located in the same database. Just need some clarification. If there isn't such a system why? And does anyone know if efforts are being made to create one?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back