VERDICT WATCH NY - Dr. Mary Yoder, 60, fatally poisoned, Whitesboro, 22 July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utica Observer Dispatch:

Did Kaitlyn Conley poison her boss? Homicide trial starts today

---
While investigating the case, deputies and the Onondaga County Medical Examiner’s Office began receiving anonymous letters purporting to have information about the case.

The letters claimed that Mary Yoder’s youngest child, Adam Yoder, was a person of interest and alleged that the murder weapon — a bottle of colchicine — could be found in the man’s vehicle. When investigators found the bottle and other items related to the drug right where the letter said it would be, they came to the conclusion it was planted, according to court proceedings. Adam Yoder was out of the area on July 15, 2015, to visit a family member. He didn’t return until July 22, 2015, the day his mother died.
---
more at the link

Day she died? Still a person of interest then. Would love to watch this trial play out.

Yes, wfgodot, I'd love to watch this trial play out, too.
Trial of CNY woman accused of poisoning, killing her boss starts today - what you need to know
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....killing_her_boss_starts_today_-_what_you.html

Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara said Friday he plans to call about 50 witnesses for the prosecution. The first witnesses are expected to testify Wednesday. McNamara said the trial should last two to three weeks.

Laurie Lisi is the lead prosecutor.

Whoever poisoned Mary Louise Yoder almost got away with it! Which family member contacted the sheriff's office? Although, Kaitlyn "Katie" Conley has admitted to some of the paper trail evidence, I still am not totally convinced of her guilt.

Mary Louise Yoder's death in July 2015 wasn't originally deemed a murder.

Police have said a family member contacted the sheriff's office in October 2015 because they believed the death was suspicious, and in December 2015 Yoder's death was ruled a homicide. Conley was charged in June 2016.

The Oneida County District Attorney's office said during a court hearing in June that Conley tried to frame Adam Yoder, the victim's son and her on-again, off-again boyfriend. At the time of Yoder's death, police said they were friends and not in a romantic relationship.

Conley was close enough to the family that she was listed among the survivors and loved ones in Mary Louise Yoder's obituary.

Prosecutors have said Conley tried to frame Adam Yoder for the murder. Authorities said they received an anonymous letter which pointed them to find a bottle of cochicine under Adam Yoder's car seat. Police have said Conley later admitted she wrote that letter.

Conley's defense attorney, Christopher Pelli, has alleged in pre-trial paperwork that Conley is innocent, and that the victim's husband is allegedly the killer, according to the Rome Sentinel.

In that paperwork, the defense argues William Yoder had access to colchicine, and also is alleged to have started a relationship with the victim's sister a few months after his wife's death, the article said.

OK, jury's selected and it's on. I'm just a little too far away to attend this trial, but I think it's going to be a good one.

I would love to see this one as well. Knowing the prosecution doesn't have to show motive, I personally would like to know. How would KC have benefited by killing her employer and friend?

I too question as to whether the guilty party is being tried right now. Will be interesting to read how this all plays out.

Utica Observer-Dispatch/Michaela Parker:

Conley trial: Experts testify about ‘bizarre’ death, autopsy

(Ms. Parker also covers the courtroom action via Twitter; see above.)

Just went looking for today's news, but you beat me to it. Thanks again. My hat off to you...it's an imaginary hat that matches my nightie. :smile:

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170426/conley-trial-experts-testify-about-bizarre-death-autopsy

Oh no, poor Dr. Yoder must have suffered a lot. Oh my, she went through resuscitation six times, and she had also fallen in the hospital. :( The ME found her internal organs and gastrointestinal tract mottled in colors that eventually made the ME suspect a toxin.

:eek:hwow: Conley admitting she wrote the anonymous letter pointing the finger at the victim's son saying he's the one that poisoned his mother is quite an outrageous fact that will be hard for her defense to overcome.

I've always felt knowingly poisoning someone is especially heartless and evil. I can't imagine why someone did this to Dr. Yoder.

............................................:eek:fftobed:

MP is doing a heck of a job again today. She is really bringing the trial to life, IMO.

I agree with you. Thanks to expert reporter Micaela Parker we are able to follow what's going on in the courtroom. She's really doing an excellent job.

https://twitter.com/od_parker?lang=en

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170427/patients-describe-homicide-victim-as-warm-caring?start=2

The patients for the day of July 20, 2015 gave their opinions on how Dr. Yoder appeared to them and whether she was feeling well throughout that day. Her patients earlier in the day describe her as her normal self -- bubbly, vivacious, and talkative. How fast would this toxic amount of the drug colchicine bring a person down? Later that same day, her 4-4:30 patient, and actually a friend of hers as well, arrived as a last minute appointment. By then, Dr. Yoder was not well.

Kreimeyer exited the business and waited in the passenger seat of her car for an undetermined amount of time as she waited for a ride. While she sat she saw Yoder leaving the lot in her own car.

“She didn’t look good,” Kreimeyer wept. “She’s pulling around and put the window down and looked at me and I wanted to let her know I was OK. She looked green. She didn’t smile. She didn’t look good.”

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170427/patients-describe-homicide-victim-as-warm-caring

The above link will provide trial summary for Thursday, April 27, 2017.

I spent a couple of HOURS Wednesday (Apr. 26), well after the court had adjourned for the day, "reading" breadcrumbs -- the reporter's courtroom "tweets" -- a tedious process that I won't be repeating tonight. [Guess I was too stupid to check for a full news article last night, so only blame myself!]

Every time I thought I had solved the mystery, another twist was revealed. I do think this woman is a sociopathic-*advertiser censored*-psychopathic loon (another poster described her as: "Eddie Haskell-like", which is PERFECT!)
As I read about her case, I get the impression of a "Fatal Attraction" type [and maybe a budding "Black Widow in-training"]. Or, maybe even a Jodi Arias type -- but more subtle.

After Conley's employer's son had repeatedly rejected her as a love interest, wouldn't make a "commitment" to her, I believe she decided to get even with him -- in a passive-aggressive-psychopathic sort of way. All the while, maintaining cordial relations with him as "still friends," despite numerous breakups! She was super saccharine- sweet to his parents (the 2 docs), a tactic she developed early on to cement herself to their son in the hopes of marrying into the family, and their wealth. She believed them to be quite wealthy. I think Conley killed Dr. Yoder soley for the purpose of framing Dr. Yoder's son. She is probably a true-crime hound and thought she had masterminded the perfect setup.

It appears from reading the breadcrumbs of tweets from Wed., that the financial charges against Conley are from her using office business checks, pre-signed by victim's husband (also a Dr.), that were intended for use in paying office business expenses/bills. It was okay for Conley to fill them out in the course of paying the the practice's bills each month. But, she used one or more of these pre-signed business checks to pay 2 traffic tickets that were issued to her personally.

And I think these charges came up in the course of Conley being questioned by LE during their investigation into the homicide of Conley's employer -- Dr. Yoder. Conley probably ratted herself out in order to appear "cooperative" (and above suspicion). (IMO ONLY!!)

The other charges, fraud, etc., stemmed from when she ordered the chemical (on-line) that killed the victim.
For starters, she established a google account in the name of the son, so that it would appear that he was the one who placed the order! Then, there was some form that she was required to complete before the company would process the order. I think it was a gov't/tax/tracking/record form required by law. She probably forged a signature of one of the two doctors, in the course of using false pretenses to obtain the chemical. She was willing to do WHATEVER it took to get her chemical of choice. Apparently, a previous attempt at on-line ordering from another chemical supplier had not been successful.

The son was not even in town the day his mother "ingested" the poisonous chemical that led to her death. His alibi has been thoroughly vetted, and in no way is it thought that he could be responsible. But, that's not to say that his own father can't be looked at sideways by relatives and friends, as possibly having a hand in his wife's homicide. But that's just a red herring -- in my opinion -- that the delusional defense attorney has been fed by his client.

However, I haven't read today's summary yet. Who knows how far-fetched everything I have set forth above will appear, in light of any new developments that may have been unearthed at trial today.

It's a crime to waste so many tax dollars for this -- Conley truly is the culprit -- Circumstantial evidence -- but ironclad. (IMO) I say let's outfit "Ol' Sparky" with a few solar panels and charge him up!

I may be completely wrong and totally off-base here. In that case, I'm not above a serving or two of crow! (It's an acquired taste!)

I'm guessing they can pin acquisition of the drug on her, but motive and especially connection to the act of administering the substance is weak.

Ever since you brought this up, I've wondered if they can actually pin administering the drug on Conley. I imagine this is why all the witnesses were asked if they saw the husband of Dr. Yoder in the offices that day. How can they prove Conley administered the deadly dose of colchicine? It seems Dr. Yoder didn't show signs of an overdose until later in the day of July 20th. I expect they will have to determine the timing of the overdose. How do we know she wasn't given the drug before work started and it took awhile to hit her? Oh, this poor woman suffered horribly. She sounds like an especially beautiful and kind human being.

Early symptoms of a colchicine overdose (seen in the first 24 hours) might include:

•Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
•Nausea and vomiting
•Diarrhea
•Dehydration.

Life-threatening complications (such as multi-organ failure, inadequate breathing, or death) typically occur 24 to 72 hours after the overdose.

http://arthritis.emedtv.com/colchicine/colchicine-overdose.html

Ever since you brought this up, I've wondered if they can actually pin administering the drug on Conley. I imagine this is why all the witnesses were asked if they saw the husband of Dr. Yoder in the offices that day. How can they prove Conley administered the deadly dose of colchicine? It seems Dr. Yoder didn't show signs of an overdose until later in the day of July 20th. I expect they will have to determine the timing of the overdose. How do we know she wasn't given the drug before work started and it took awhile to hit her? Oh, this poor woman suffered horribly. She sounds like an especially beautiful and kind human being.

Agreed. Very difficult to prove that Conley was responsible for the chemical getting INTO the victim.

Further, the patients when questioned said they thought that Conley and Dr. Mary Yoder were the only two individuals working in the office at the time of their respective office appointments that day (July 20, 2015). But, these patients also admitted that they DID NOT SEARCH THE ENTIRE PREMISES OF THE MEDICAL OFFICE. Leaving it open for speculation that perhaps some other individual was present who could be responsible -- such as Dr. Yoder's husband (also a Dr., who shared the practice with Dr. Mary Yoder).

Even so, it can't be definitively proven how the poisonous chemical was administered to Dr. Yoder.

I have read in articles In this case, that motive does not have to be established. But, method surely does. (Don't know why exactly -- is it because the charge is 2nd Deg. Murder v. 1st Deg.? I KNOW one of you smart guys here KNOWS WHY! Can you tell me why a motive does not have to be established?)

What did Dr. Yoder drink or eat that day that could have been the vehicle for the chemical?

Imaginary Scenario: It would have been great if there was a witness/patient who could testifiy that on that date at the patient's appointment, Dr. Yoder had said: "Oh, yes. [Conley] is so sweet. She brought me a freshly-baked cinnamon roll and coffee this morning!" (Or, would that testimony not be allowed on account of "hearsay"?) But I think it has been established that on the day she presented to the ER, Dr. Yoder had not eaten much during the course of that day. So, perhaps, a beverage was the mode of administration.

But, I keep forgetting . . . it does not matter! If you can't prove WHO did it, HOW it was accomplished doesn't help much.

I hope that jurors will all agree, in the face of overwhelming circumstantial evidence shown, that Conley DID IT.
I think they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members