UK - Huge fire rips through Grenfell Tower, Latimer Road, White City, London, June 2017

Some people have managed to escape from some of the upper floors... Hopefully a lot more made it out!
Poor London! :( This so terrible!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ents-tell-of-escaping-the-grenfell-tower-fire

"It just caught up like a matchstick’
Another man who fled from the 17th floor said he was alerted to the danger by the arrival of fire engines.

“We saw the fire engines, so we were looking outside at what’s going on. There was no fire alarms anywhere, because we don’t have a kind of integrated fire system – it’s just everyone’s house for itself.

“I walked out into the common area to see if the lifts are moving, to see if people are in a hassle – nothing. But I could smell the smoke.”

The man said he only saw fire when he stuck his head out of the window.

“I went back inside the house, looked out the window. I started looking down the window – I had to really pull myself out to look down the window, from the 17th floor, and I see the fire blazing, and coming up really fast, because of the cladding – the cladding was really flammable, and it just caught up like a matchstick.”

From watching the presser, I get the feeling there are a lot of fatalities. :rose:

The fire chief said there was a 'number of fatalities.' But could not say how many yet..:cry:

This is horrible. There must have been around 400 residents and at that time in the morning I worry how many got out safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw this on the news. Horrific. I've never seen a building like that so fully engulfed. I don't understand how there weren't smoke alarms. How is that even possible in an apartment building? I can somewhat understand a home having no working smoke alarms but a housing complex like that is just unfathomable.

This is the kind of fridge that supposedly started the fire:

A Samsung? If true that astonishes me, not least because those are expensive fridges and the people living in that tower block were poor.

When I heard a report about a fridge causing the fire I immediately thought of Beko (cheap, Turkish made appliances which have been involved in a lot of fires) and a number of brands owned by Whirlpool (not so cheap, but also implicated in domestic fires).

I obviously came into this thread late but how do they know it was a fridge that sparked the fire already? This building was fully engulfed. How does a fridge do that?

The large scale works included the installation of insulated exterior cladding, new double glazed windows and a new communal heating system.
snip.

Rydon, the company responsible for the cladding and retrofitting refurbishments at Grenfell Tower have scraped all references to the refurbishment from their website.

I obviously came into this thread late but how do they know it was a fridge that sparked the fire already? This building was fully engulfed. How does a fridge do that?
They have not established a cause for the fire.

Okay thanks. I thought someone said it was caused by a exploding fridge.
Earlier, someone said a fire in his neighbor's dryer.

Probably neither. These were people speaking who'd escaped this a short time before, and
were trying to make sense of it.

The large scale works included the installation of insulated exterior cladding, new double glazed windows and a new communal heating system. A new communal entrance has been created and there are new facilities for returning tenants, Grenfell Under 3s Nursery and Dale Youth Amateur Boxing Club. Nine much needed new homes have been created from unused spaces.

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/housing/regenyour-neighbourhood/grenfell-tower

Project details on Rydon's website:

http://www.rydon.co.uk/projects/case-studies/refurbishment-case-studies/grenfell-tower

I wouldn't be surprised if it collapses soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London mayor Sadiq Khan said questions need to be answered about the fire advice given to residents.

Asked on Radio 4’s Today programme about advice to residents stay inside their flats in the event of a fire (see earlier) Khan said: “Thankfully residents didn’t stay in their flats and fled to safety.

“One of the concerns that we have is it’s a 24-storey building but for obvious reasons, with the scale of the fire, our experts weren’t able to reach all the way to the top, so of course these are questions that need to be answered as soon as possible.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ondon-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dahliaf
Back