NY - Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, murdered, 1993-94, John Biltroff *GUILTY* - #2

As for the mechanics of "framing" him, it would be very simple. Those specific murders might have been chosen because they allowed the widest possible number of suspects and there had never been a prime suspect. Once those specific murders were chosen, the person arranging the set up would simply look at arrests from that time period that involved any sort of violence, in this case an assault, and monitor the news for a hook to hang the "frame" on. They could have had hundreds of potential patsies. One day Bittrollf's brother gets charged with beating his wife or whatever they review the context, make a final examination of the suspect, go over the case files and purge anything that doesn't fit.

Just speculation but it fits better for me than the official version, unless somebody can give some weight to the dna evidence beyond "a bunch of cops and their buddies say so".

I can't prove it didn't happen that way but will say it takes quite a feat of mental gymnastics just to hold the theory together. Things do tend to look fishy when all you look for is fish, and with persistence and the right type of bait some can't resist latching right on.

Some other questions if somebody who followed the trial knows.

1) Was Bittrolff's position ever that he did have sex with either or any victim?

2) He seems to have switched from an out of the loop local lawyer to a high priced legal team with extensive connections to the local establishment. Who paid for that lawyer?

He initially denied, maybe he still does. It sounds like he knew they had him dead to rights but even with the evidence presented still organised enough to deny ever seeing the two victims. He would take his chances with a jury. We kind of expected a little more hoopla when the trial started but as marble documented there wasn't much media attention, which of course fueled our speculation. I don't know how that lawyer got brought in but I could see those that believe in his innocence could cobble together a good defense. As it turned out no defense is sufficient when a jury decides the evidence against you is beyond reasonable doubt.

LE would've had the unknown sample that matched from the two victims on their books for all these years as well as in codis. There it lay until the push came to identify this known serial killer that was operating twenty years earlier. speculation is the push came because of the lack of evidence in the ocean parkway cases. so they went all in on another known SK case in the area and within a reasonable time proximity in which dna was on file looking for a link to more current cases. Apparently no link exists. However this came about, the fact that they got his azz for what they could prove he did is a good thing.

Actually the scary part is that they are the same species as us. The only thing that makes them different is the badge. When the pope gets a badge he will do exactly the same.

At the risk of annoying by overposting, here is one more observation about this case.

The police seem to have made some subtle mistakes when they were cooking evidence. The similarities to carelessnesses in the case https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...death-row-inmate-rodney-reed-loses-dna-appeal are interesting. There seems to be some peculiar reason why certain types of evidence are used to frame somebody, and why that evidence is so resistant to being discredited no matter how many experts disavow it.
I wondered about psychopaths being a process in evolution to secure the existence of our species. However, I think they are evil and fully understand that when love wanes, it is often replaced by fear. Those who respond to fear in an unbalanced way are easily controlled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here's a refresher of how the bodies were found:
Ex-detective testifies about finding body in Bittrolff trial
Smith, Andrew. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]05 May 2017.
Rathjen narrated a crime scene video taken the day McNamee's body was found. He described walking through brush south of the eastbound on-ramp at Exit 68... until a blue winter jacket was visible. A bit farther along, there was a pair of socks, one sneaker, some stretch pants and a pair of black jeans. Police searched the area after getting an anonymous call about the body.
And then there was McNamee's body, posed similarly to the way Tangredi's body was found... - naked on her back, legs spread with one arm over her head. Like Tangredi, her skull had been crushed...

Biancavilla has argued that Bittrolff is the killer because DNA from his semen was found on both bodies. He also said the similar poses and wood chips found on both bodies are significant, because of Bittrolff's work as a carpenter.
But as with Tangredi's body, no wood chips were visible in crime scene photos of McNamee's body...
In the years since the killings, the Suffolk Police Department destroyed the wood chips collected from both crime scenes, without ever photographing them. The department also destroyed wood shavings collected from the police car used by then-Sgt. Michael Murphy - since promoted to lieutenant - who was a suspect in the killings in 1998.
Keahon suggested in his opening statement that police did that to protect Murphy, who was the son of Thomas Murphy, the department's chief of detectives at the time...

There's still the matter of these illusive wood chips/shavings/sawdust... Were they a red herring from the beginning since they weren't ever visible? Either way, the press calling them "chips" or "shavings" was very misleading in terms of particulate size (and a personal pet peeve for me).

The way the victims were found -posed, beaten, partially clothed, and Rita partially buried has differences and similarities to some other cases. The only LISK cases I can recall where the victims were partially clothed were Sugar Bear and Asian Male. There are a few cases of bodies partially covered/buried (several Manorville cases, Lattington Jane Doe, Lewis R. Johnson) and/or beaten (afaik Asian Male might be the only one who for sure was).

I hear you, Abcdefgh. I would have had a difficult time coming up with a guilty verdict as well. But the logic LR1 laid out is where I end up in the end. That DNA had to have been entered in the system way back when. If the DNA was "recently discovered" or some such thing I'd be on the side of the fence that there's enough reasonable doubt that he shouldn't have been convicted. It's interesting he and his wife were living together back at the time of the murders, I somehow missed that. I assumed that he was able to largely resist those impulses once he was in a stable relationship as past serial killers sometimes have. I agree with Western Artist that it's worth seeing if the murders he was convicted of are related to additional victims over the years.

The "wood chips" evidence that wasn't is weird- especially since that "evidence" made it into a ton of articles long before the DNA matched Bittrolff or he was even on their radar. As far as the "no condom" thing- I don't agree that logic dictates he wouldn't have foregone one- someone who is going to rape/murder a prostitute isn't necessarily thinking about personal safety or, to be blunt, squeamishness about contamination of most kinds. If you read statistics about prostitution and violence, and prostitution and the spread of HIV, many, many prostitutes report being either forced or intimidated into not using a condom by clients.

Here is an opinion on the last few comments, I don't feel like messing with the multiquote thing.

LR1, maybe I didn't articulate the possibility well.

1) A small group of individuals may have wanted to "solve" a local high profile case similar to the lisk case. Their motive might have been something other than "solving a crime", such that it didn't matter which crime it was as long as it was similar and it didn't matter who the suspect was, so long as he was plausible both for that crime and the lisk crimes.

2) They could easily find a crime, like these murders, then decide it suited their purposes so they would "solve" it.

3) The next step would be assembling a list of possible suspects, perhaps several hundred people who had some sort of assault or sex conviction in the rough time frame of the original crime, then carefully weed out any possible suspects who could not have been the killer.

4) Assuming the "familial dna" was an extra flourish to give credibility to the prosecution, the next step would be to wait for a family member of anybody on the list to commit a crime. Bittrolff's brother hit his wife or something, went to jail, got dna taken, the end.

The core point is that there is one piece of evidence against him. The dna. Is there some other evidence? So the entire case hinges on that one piece of evidence. You may feel it is authentic. I doubt it's authenticity until and unless it is presented by some authority I trust. The police and prosecutor in this case do not fall in that category.

Do other elements that are known tend to support or negate the presented evidence, if a person is willing to require that the evidence be valid? The other elements of the case so far, at least from what I've seen, do not support the prosecution case.

You say
he knew they had him dead to rights

and I scratch my head. I don't get how you can suppose that unless you presuppose he is guilty. Are you presupposing he is guilty, and therefore you are not interested in examining the authenticity of the only piece of evidence presented against him?

---

maddalena1, psychopaths might be a step in evolution. You look at the word psych meaning mind and path meaning disease. The problem is that psychopathology is mostly subjective. If a person has a broken arm you can say yes, it is broken, it doesn't work. But with the mind there is no question most of what people do is "reaction" not action. So who is to say a particular reaction is pathological? It may be a healthy response to some pathology in society that most people have learned not to react to?

---

WesternArtist, It's interesting how they found the bodies. If I recall the prosecution said that they had sperm which indicated the killer had sex with the victims within an hour of death or so? Point being then they must have found the bodies shortly after the women were killed? Since looking at that kind of evidence in the Rodney Reed case it seems strangely like a particular type of evidence police have difficulty presenting accurately as evidence.

The wood shavings are interesting certainly. A police officer who was a suspect had wood shavings in his car and the bodies had wood shavings? Now that evidence has disappeared and morphed into particulate glass, wood, plastic etc?

---

marble, There has always, always, always been a problem with 'law enforcers' fabricating evidence. Some cops see it as a game to see what they can get away with. Look at scarcelli. Google 'scarcelli' and there is not one article about him in the first page. Google 'corruption scarcelli' without quotes and there are two articles out of ten on the first page about him. Google 'corruption louis scarcelli' without quotes and there is only 1????? His specialty was cases like this and he solved them. My guess is that, based on the evidence so far, these murders were solved in the style of Scarcelli.

So how would dna evidence be fabricated? I don't know. But I guarantee, 100%, if the defense did not spent a lot of time at trial verifying the dna evidence and its continuity, then something is majorly not right.

I'll make an outline of what I think are the relevent background facts, anybody can correct anything that is wrong.

In 1979 a boy was killed, possibly by his father

For whatever reason the father was not prosecuteable so the police picked up some neighbor boys and beat them into confessing.

To provide a little extra evidence they got a "low-level burglar and drug dealer" to corroborate that they had arrested the right people. As time went on the confessions and convictions became suspect and some of the people may have been released, I don't recall.

The drug dealer they used evidently realized at some point that he "owned" some pretty powerful people, i.e., he could destroy the careers of those who had gotten him to give bad testimony. He used this leverage to get hired as a cop despite his history, to get a bunch of his friends hired as cops over a period of years, and so on.

Currently that drug dealer is in jail somewhere. The big question among his many 'pals', is whether he is giving them up. There are probably dozens or more of people in million dollar long island houses who wonder every day " Is Chief Burke going to burn us?"

They are scrambling to correct image issues and one of the biggest is the possible connections between lisk and Suffolk police.

Common sense that if the locals solve a cold murder like that shortly after they start to smell something burning under them, as in they are about to be cooked... that murder better be pretty well solved, and it isn't. Just from context, without examining evidence, a person should be suspicious about this case. But after examining the evidence a person should be absolutely paranoid. Unless the defense proved that the dna was collected, archived, recorded in an unfalsifiable way, this case should be examined thoroughly.

One thing to factor in here is that while detectives were credited with "solving" these cases, it was really the Probation Office that should be recognized and commended. Although the narrative of a frame job may seem more plausible than detectives magically solving 20 year old cold cases, the reality is it was the routine work of an under-appreciated Probation Officer, Elena Mackie who actually did this -which is actually very believable IMO. Here are a few articles about the DNA collection/hit:
Donald Grauer, senior probation officer and president of the Suffolk County Probation Officers Association, said probation officers play a key role in the criminal justice system by collecting DNA evidence of those convicted and assigned to probation. He said Mackie’s mandated collection of Bittrolff’s brother’s DNA was the catalyst in solving these murders.
https://www.longislandadvance.net/904/DNA-nails-suspect

I was very disappointed at the lack of acknowledgment of the outstanding work of the Suffolk County probation officer whose work helped lead to a suspect in two killings.
http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/probation-officer-helped-on-cold-case-letter-1.8937316
(MSM links compliments of PictureSnatcher :takeabow:)

One thing to factor in here is that while detectives were credited with "solving" these cases, it was really the Probation Office that should be recognized and commended. Although the narrative of a frame job may seem more plausible than detectives magically solving 20 year old cold cases, the reality is it was the routine work of an under-appreciated Probation Officer, Elena Mackie who actually did this -which is actually very believable IMO. Here are a few articles about the DNA collection/hit:

https://www.longislandadvance.net/904/DNA-nails-suspect

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/probation-officer-helped-on-cold-case-letter-1.8937316
(MSM links compliments of PictureSnatcher :takeabow:)

I'm sorry to be pushy about this but...

The assumption is

a) There was dna collected at the time of the initial crime in 1993. Is there a link that somebody can provide that substantiates that?

b) That evidence would have been entered into a database with some kind of identifier that would correlate to the genetic profile. Is there any evidence that indicates when that was done?

As far as I'm concerned, a few days after Bittroff's brother was arrested, somebody entered the dna evidence into the database with a 'sorry this was late, backlogged' note. Is there disproof of that?

Was the supposed dna evidence from the crime entered into the database somewhat later than people guess?

-

add From your link
Among the woodchips, there was also “a number of” trace evidence collected at the scene that can link Bittrolff to the murders through his profession. “The significance of the wood chips and quite frankly the other trace evidence is now being examined by our forensic scientists and I suspect all the other trace evidence is also very common to the defendant’s occupation, a carpenter,” said Spota. “The woodchips that were found at the crime scenes of both Tangredi and McNamee were also found at the scene of Sandra Castilla [a possible third victim].”

Did this work out as expected or did the prince of darkness Spota not realize that evidence had been lost?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07/31/long-island-man-pleads-not-guilty-in-cold-case-murders/

But Spota said besides the killer leaving the woman in similar and unique poses, he also took a vital clue from each of them that will remain a secret until trial

Interesting that if you search on google for results by a specific time period, Google does not index any reference to the crime until about the time of lisk

http://archive.longislandpress.com/2011/03/24/long-islands-other-serial-killer/6/

On one amateur crime-fighting message board, members are throwing around possible connections: Both women in Manorville were found north of the Expressway and chopped up, both men were found south of the Expressway and were untouched. Three other prostitutes were found dead—Gail Belfield, 30, in Wyandanch in 1995 from a gunshot wound to the chest, Colleen McNamee, 20, of Holbrook and Rita Tangredi-Beinlich, 31, of East Patchogue who died from strangulation in 1994 and discovered in different locations. Could these be related to the Gilgo murders? Manorville murders? The woman discovered on Newbridge Road was in a suitcase, so was the woman who washed up in Mamaroneck. And Melissa Barthelemy’s sister was taunted from the dead woman’s cell phone by a caller traced to the Port Authority area—the same place Jessica Taylor was last seen alive before her body turned up in Manorville.

Now

http://www.indyeastend.com/Articles...7-THE-COP-WHO-TRACKED-A-COLD-CASE-KILLER.html

How did Sgt. Leser come to lead the cold case team that cracked the Bittrolff case?

"I joined NYPD in 1984," he said. "I transferred to Suffolk PD in 1986. So I was on the job in Suffolk PD when these murders took place. I wasn't working the case but I heard about them and if you're a cop, a parent, a decent human being you want to see justice when someone does something like that to anyone. These were savage murders committed by a really bad guy. Horrible."

Leser rose in the ranks of the Suffolk PD as the unsolved Tangredi-Beinlich/McNamee murders went gradually cold. "When I became a homicide detective I worked on some horrible cases," he said.

"I was too busy working other new cases to think much about the Tangredi/McNamee cold case murders. But at the time of those murders -- 1993, 1994 -- DNA was relatively new. There was no national CODIS -- Combined DNA Index System -- data base the way we had for fingerprints. But the original detectives discovered semen in both women. In one victim it was present anally and vaginally. One just vaginally. DNA was good enough back then to determine that it was from the same man. Even though there was no CODIS, the original detectives carefully preserved that DNA, hoping that someday it might find a match."

Three women killed in similar fashion within three months. "There was no semen in Sandra Costilla," said Sgt. Leser. "But like Tangredi and McNamee her left shoe was missing."

Like a serial killer's trophy.

During the homicide squad's sweep of the Patchogue netherworld John Bittrolff was never questioned because although he'd been arrested for a DWI and a bar fight, he had no history of contact with prostitutes. He also had no DNA on file in the newly established CODIS.

"The Tangredi and McNamee families would call from time to time to see if there was anything new," saidLeser. "Rita McNamee's brother is a city cop and so he stayed particularly interested. When it's your family and someone does something like that to your own flesh and blood you try to bury the grief but you never forget. You want justice. Tangredi's son Anthony grew up and made inquiries. But we never had much to tell the families except that we would never give up on the case. We always had hope."

"A secondary hit came back," said Leser. "I had to go to the lab and ask them to please narrow it down. Bittrolff had a slew of cousins in the area. We had to know if they could get a closer match. The lab ran new tests and said it was a sibling. We knew the person who left the same DNA in two murdered women was a male from the Bittrolff family. It wasn't Timmy Bittrolff. So it had to be either one of his two brothers – Kevin or John. John was the oldest and the most likely suspect. We set up a five-man surveillance team and began to follow both brothers."

"John knew we were tailing him," said Leser. "Which sent signals that he was dirty. He never left behind a paper cup, a used tissue, a drinking straw that we could use to run a DNA match on. But after days of surveillance, Kevin, who was up visiting from Florida, driving a sports car with a Florida plate, was driving south on William Floyd Parkway one night when he flicked cigarette out of the driver's window."

Screeeeeech.

The homicide detectives hit the brakes. They stopped all traffic on the busy highway. As Kevin Bittrolff's sports car sped off, the smoldering cigarette butt rolled toward the shoulder.

"We retrieved the cigarette, placed it in an evidence bag, and rushed it to the lab," says Leser. "We waited. It came back as another secondary familial DNA match. Which meant that John Bittrolff was now our prime suspect."

Still, John Bittrolff did not discard anything that would offer a DNA sample.

"I soon learned biological things I never knew about the female body," says Leser. "When semen enters a woman's body her system reacts as if it's a foreign invader and attacks it, breaking it down and degrading it fairly quickly. In order for as much spermatozoa with tails still attached to be present in each victim meant that she must have died within hours of the sex. And the DNA in the semen in both cases belonged to John Bittrolff."

Then Det. Sgt. Leser went back to work on another homicide in Suffolk County.

Something is very wrong with this case.

-

edit to add

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...e-internal-police-report-judge-says-1.9968749

A Suffolk judge has denied a murder defendant's motion to see a police internal affairs report that may question the credibility of the detectives who investigated him.
State Supreme Court Justice William Condon ruled that the report and personnel files of Det. Ronald Tavares and Det. Sgt. Charles Leser would not be relevant at the trial of Shawn Lawrence because the Suffolk district attorney's...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-sgt-was-suspect-in-double-slaying-1.13754093

Murphy was a uniformed sergeant in the Fifth Precinct in Patchogue...

Detectives then were aware that a sergeant in the precinct was forcing prostitutes to give him oral sex, McLeer said. One of them identified Murphy by name in October 1994 and said he had demanded “sex for nothing” seven or eight times next to the Patchogue Motor Inn over a two-year period, McLeer said.
Until Wednesday, jurors knew Murphy had been a suspect but hadn’t learned why. Prosecutors have refused to say why police investigated him and in 1998 secretly searched his police car for evidence in the killings....

So 4 years after being accused by multiple prostitutes of extorting sex, he was not fired... What else is there...

Murphy, whose father was chief of detectives then, was ruled out as a suspect and has since been promoted to lieutenant.

He even managed a promotion??? Seriously?????

-

The anecdotes about supposed non recorded conversations indicating guilt are silly. A police department known, above all else, for corruption and framing people has video that does not indicate guilt but they have supposed side conversations with the defendant that do indicate guilt? I think not. :laughing:

-

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-trial-contests-wood-chip-evidence-1.13691259

Ever since a Manorville carpenter was charged 2 1⁄2 years ago with killing two women in the early 1990s, a Suffolk prosecutor has said wood chips found on the bodies linked the victims to the defendant.
Yet throughout the trial of John Bittrolff, 50, no crime scene responder has testified about seeing wood chips and none have been visible in crime scene photos displayed in state Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro’s Riverhead courtroom.
On Monday, forensic scientist Thomas Zaveski of the Suffolk County Crime Laboratory explained why to jurors — what’s been described as wood chips were actually minute particles, visible to the naked eye only as specks.

“You could vaguely see it, but you couldn’t make out the details,” Zaveski testified. To do that, he said he needed a stereo microscope to magnify it 100 times.
And no one can see them now, because except for a small number, the Suffolk Police Department destroyed them all in 2007. An officer testified last week that happened because they weren’t identified clearly as homicide evidence. The defense has suggested police destroyed the evidence deliberately to protect officers who were once suspects...

Zaveski testified he took photos of the particles when he examined them in 1994. But because he stored the undeveloped film with almost all the particles, they were destroyed together and no photos exist of them.

Oh No!!!

Since Bittrolff’s arrest in August 2014, Assistant District Attorney Robert Biancavilla has told three judges, this jury and the public that wood chips were key evidence in the case. In his opening statement, he referred to them as Bittrolff’s “calling card” and “signature style.”
Zaveski said the particles were of various shapes and colors. Some appeared to be metal foil, he said.
He told Keahon the particles “could have come from anything.” He didn’t test them, because he said that would have destroyed them.

http://riverheadnewsreview.timesrev...manorville-man-accused-in-cold-case-killings/

In the case against Mr. Murphy — who was investigated in 1998 and whose father was head of Suffolk detectives at the time — murder evidence placed inside a police vehicle was destroyed in 2005, Mr. Keahon said.
Among the evidence was wood shavings, which could have been similar to the wood chips found on the victims, he said.
Mr. Keahon added that Suffolk police destroyed a total of 148 pieces of evidence in the murder of Ms. McNamee in 2007.

Mr. Biancavilla said the wood shavings “were not consistent with the wood chips found at the scene.”
He also said the police vehicle was in an accident and taken to a body shop. All of the evidence had been photographed before it was destroyed, he said, adding more information about the incident will be discussed during the trial.
“We’re not holding anything back or hiding anything from you,” he told the jury."

1) DNA was collected from the crime scene and did connect the two murders. That is highly likely.

2) A DNA database was established in 2000. At some point after 2000 the DNA used to prosecute this crime was entered into the database.

3) http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/27/n...police-officer-is-charged-in-sex-assault.html

4) The original 'ironclad evidence' is the confession. From far back in history confessions were widely trusted as the best proof of guilt. Today not so much, to the point that "more than 1 out of 4 people wrongfully convicted but later exonerated by DNA evidence made a false confession or incriminating statement." https://www.innocenceproject.org/causes/false-confessions-admissions/ With science now dna evidence is taking over the position as "most reliable evidence", but predictably there will be more and more cases of dishonest cops and prosecutors using "ironclad dna proof of guilt" to lock up innocent people. How will they do it? Who knows.

If somebody can find any dna record from the Bittrolff case that reliably identifies the dna by some number corresponding to the profile pre 2007 I'll pay a bounty of at least us $100 in any major digital currency. It has to a) be ANY record that lists an identifier that a dna expert can correlate to Bittrolff's dna e.g. a document that says "xyz murder evidence dna" followed by a sequence indicating a dna profile. b) It can be from ANY time before 2007. So if his DNA was at the crime, and it was entered within 7 years of the creation of the database it should be findable by somebody skilled at filing requests for paperwork. c) There must be at least two names on the document, along with the titles of those people. d) If price is an issue I can offer a little more but not much. e) The paper has to be obtained legally, through filing paper requests.

I'll tell you this- these are all things I've considered as well. What I don't get is exactly how and why his DNA ended up in the system if it was a frame job. Why him? Why not one of the other 100 (If I remember correctly) potential suspects they were looking at? Why somebody off the radar? And why somebody who didn't have a sample entered into the database already, and whose brother *just by chance* turned up a hit.

I agree completely w/ regards to false confessions, corruption, framing innocent people, etc. etc. and given there are so many bodies that have turned up in the area I wouldn't be surprised if one (or more) of the predators on the force, possibly one or two named in the trial, were responsible for some of those. But I just can't get what I know from following this case very closely to fit with JB's innocence. I just can't. Now if more evidence for his defense turns up or we learn there was some major tampering going on here I'll rethink this. Luckily he's not on death row and if he's innocent and there's a way to prove that eventually I hope he's absolved. But logic based on the DNA evidence and how the match turned up doesn't lead me to that conclusion.

Regarding...

"how and why his DNA ended up in the system if it was a frame job"
It's something that has to be investigated. I don't have the answer.

"Why not one of the other 100"
Again, I don't know. But if I were a person wanting to set somebody up for those killings, I would choose a) a guy with an assault or sex type conviction who b) has several brothers. As it turns out his convictions, for a barfight and dwi, aren't ideal but they pass the test.

"But I just can't get what I know from following this case very closely to fit with JB's innocence."
I don't understand you well on this. Is there any indication that he would have commited this crime, other than the police say they have ironclad dna evidence? Are there psychological factors, physical indications, any history, anything? Knowing that the police had every opportunity to build a case discreetly, and the best they could do to back up the dna was 'after we turned off the video, he basically confessed', I say no.

"Now if more evidence for his defense turns up or we learn there was some major tampering going on here I'll rethink this"
Okay, when they snatch you on dubious evidence I'll make a note that you are okay with it until and unless your "defense" turns up something.

"But logic based on the DNA evidence and how the match turned up doesn't lead me to that conclusion. "
In fact, there are indications in how the match turned up that, in my opinion, point to some chicanery. It would require a long post and still would not be clear to a lot of people but basically, briefly, if it were a 'frame job', the 'framers' would compensate by 'opening new territory' with the evidence. They would try to create a novel angle. It's a complicated thing and if evidence comes out during his lifetime that the evidence was fabricated somebody will articulate it. Beyond that even though, the prosecutor is overcompensating for something. He is clearly being dishonest about something substantial. Imagine you go to the store to buy a pack of cigarettes and the clerk holds up the cigarettes and say "It really does have 20 cigarettes, I promise". You say "Okay, great". So the clerk says "I'm going to give you an extra cigarette though, just in case it doesn't have 20". You say "Not necessary". The clerk says "Please don't look in the pack, and I won't be able to give you a receipt, now give me your money and I'll give you the closed pack that I guarantee has 20 cigarettes" on and on like that, eventually would you start to wonder if something was odd?

-

Another point. From http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/27/n...police-officer-is-charged-in-sex-assault.html

Officer Murphy, 36, was arrested Thursday night at the Eighth Precinct station house in Levittown. The police said that after a witness came forward with information this week -- prompted by other recent allegations of assaults by police officers -- they interviewed a woman who said that in December 1999, Officer Murphy ordered her to follow his police cruiser in her car to a wooded area in West Farmingdale, where he sodomized her.

Officer Murphy is also under investigation by the Nassau Police Department's Internal Affairs Unit about a woman's claim of a similar assault last August, when, she says, she was forced to perform oral sex on a plainclothes officer in exchange for her release after a drunk-driving stop, the police said. Although the department would not call Officer Murphy a suspect in that case, it placed him on administrative assignment this week. It is also investigating why the woman's complaint was not looked into immediately by the Internal Affairs Unit but instead languished for five months.

Officer Murphy is the third Long Island policeman to be charged in such a case in the last year. Teddy Hart, 41, a former Suffolk County police officer, was arrested last March and sentenced on Wednesday to three years' probation. He was also ordered to enroll in a program for sex offenders after admitting that he had harassed women over the telephone, using police computers to find their phone numbers.

In October, a Nassau County police officer, Jay Seifert, was charged with raping and sodomizing a 30-year-old woman after a traffic stop in North Woodmere. He was also charged with official misconduct and suspended without pay. His case is being heard by a grand jury.

This month, a Suffolk County highway patrolman, Frank Wright, was suspended without pay while that department and the F.B.I. investigate complaints from several women that he forced them to undress after stopping them on suspicion of drunken driving. And the New York attorney general, Eliot L. Spitzer, has filed a federal civil rights complaint against the Orange County town of Wallkill, alleging, among other things, that officers pulled over young women drivers to solicit dates.

In a pattern common to many of the cases, the woman who Officer Murphy is accused of attacking in December 1999 -- an immigrant from El Salvador who speaks broken English -- was not well equipped to stand up to an authority figure, the police said.

And notice in the article http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/nyregion/experts-say-ny-police-dept-isnt-policing-itself.html

...All these cases involved New York City police officers and unfolded or were resolved in recent months. But beyond the fact of criminal charges against those sworn to protect the public, they all had another thing in common: Each case was uncovered by an outside agency, not the Internal Affairs Bureau of the New York Police Department, the unit responsible for unearthing and investigating officers’ wrongdoing...

The norm for a lot of police agencies, in issues involving the most serious offenses committed by police officers is for the officer to be told "Such and such person has filed a comkplaint against you. Please resolve it. *wink* *wink*.

Search the NYT for the Sonia Ivanoff case if the point isn't clear or search google for that matter. You won't find any articles in the NY Times.

My belief, based on what I've seen so far, is that the case against Bittrolff probably involves fabricated dna evidence. How it was fabricated, I have no idea.

Marble, let me clarify a few things.

Both the prosecution and the defense in any case, including this case, would prefer to rely on the hardest facts rather than leave doubts. So for any "hard fact" there is a strong benefit to either the prosecution or the defense. There should never be any situation where it is in the interests of both the prosecution and defense to keep something unclear.

It should be possible to determine, by studying logs and records of the case and of the dna database, whether there is reasonable certainty that the dna collected at the crime scene is absolutely the dna that provided the 'hit' to Bittrolff's brother's dna. We already know that the dna that was in the database for that crime was John Bittrolff's dna. There isn't a question about that. What is not known is whether that is also the same as the dna collected from the bodies.

Most people are aware that police sometimes take shortcuts with evidence, or creatively enhance what they provide to prosecutors for whatever reason. DNA evidence is pretty new and we have yet to see, and be wary of, the various extremes that certain corrupt individuals might go to in using it for their own purposes within the context of a legal case.

If, at any point, I'm reasonably sure >90% that the dna that was taken from the bodies was Bittrolff's then I would no longer have an interest.

Again, it is absolutely the hardest of hard facts that this dna evidence, properly verified, is of use to either the prosecution or defense. Considering that, both of them, prosecution and defense, could have been expected to put some effort into gathering whatever records could establish that the dna taken from the bodies initially was given a certain alpha numeric code corresponding to the actual material collected, even if the person was not known.Somewhere there is a paper that says something like 'DNA evidence from case Number xyz, submitted by xyz agency... results using xyz test produce the following classifications..." and then a string of alpha numerics corresponding to whatever was collected.

I'm guessing, actually pretty certain, that you know more about the trial than I, since I didn't actually notice it while it was going on.

Would you mind summarizing the efforts by each side to verify that the dna collected from the body was the same as the dna used by Suffolk police to identify the killer in the database? Was a lot of effort put into that in the trial? Or did they just say the words "dna" and "police" and everybody was expected to go "Wow, they solved the case"?

Also, in your observation of the evidence, is there anything, any evidence whatsoever, of any kind whatsoever, whether conventional evidence or indications or anything whatsoever at all that points to him being the killer, aside from the dna evidence that certainly did come from him, and which police claim is the same as the dna that was removed from the bodies?

In other words, the dna evidence, by itself, if properly verified, is certainly enough. As far as I have been able to find out that evidence was not properly verified. So I'm asking you is there any other evidence against him that exists, or that might exist, that you are aware of?

Interesting that Robert Baumann, who seems to have been careless with the evidence in the Tankleff case, was asked to do this case.

Also a person can't help wondering if McReady was involved in the Rita Tangredi case. He would have been a homicide detective in Suffolk around that time.

http://contentsquad.typepad.com/marty_tankleff_blog/2005/07/_snapshot_detec.html

[h=3]Snapshot: Detective James McCready[/h] Suffolk County detective who wrote Marty's unsigned, recanted "confession." Retrieved Jerry Steuerman, Seymour Tankleff's indebted business partner, after Steuerman faked his own death and fled to California. Testified at Marty's original trial that he had no prior relationship with Steuerman. In 2004 hearings in Suffolk County court, a restaurant owner testified he saw McCready and Steuerman together in the bagel store prior to the year of the Tankleff murders and that McCready told him he did construction work for Steuerman. Two years after Marty's conviction, opened a bar with the husband of Marty's half-sister, who ended up receiving more than the stipend she would have received from the trust if Marty had not been convicted. Was not in line to catch the case on the morning of the murder and did not live near the scene of the crime, the Tankleff residence. Responded to the scene of the crime, dressed in a suit, within 19 minutes of getting paged. Cited by the State Investigation Commission (SIC) for perjury in a previous murder case. Arrested and tried in 1991 for brutal assault of a bar patron and acquitted in a non-jury trial. In both the SIC investigation and the assault case, his lawyer was Thomas Spota, the current Suffolk County District Attorney. Three people have told Marty's defense team that McCready was paid by the Steurmans or Creedon either to protect their drug business or in connection with the Tankleff murders, including Creedon's son, who testified to it under oath.

I understand that the consensus seems to be that Bittrolff is guilty.

Is there some evidence other than the dna?

Or has the dna that was in the database shown to be the same as the dna taken from the bodies?

Or is it considered inappropriate to suggest that the police may have monkeyed with it somewhere along the way?

The more I research this case the less guilty he looks.

Can somebody summarize why they think he is guilty, or why they are certain that the dna evidence could not have been tampered with?

I understand that the consensus seems to be that Bittrolff is guilty.

Is there some evidence other than the dna?

Or has the dna that was in the database shown to be the same as the dna taken from the bodies?

Or is it considered inappropriate to suggest that the police may have monkeyed with it somewhere along the way?

The more I research this case the less guilty he looks.

Can somebody summarize why they think he is guilty, or why they are certain that the dna evidence could not have been tampered with?
I am not sure he is guilty either and with all the corruption connected to his case maybe he will win an appeal.

I am not sure he is guilty either and with all the corruption connected to his case maybe he will win an appeal.

There is a lot of corruption in the histories of the people involved in prosecuting him, but it isn't clear yet if there is any 'corruption' element to this trial.

It seems like the simplest thing to simply have a very detailed history of the dna evidence in this case.

It was taken from the body and sent to a lab probably several times over the years. Are there no records of those lab results?

My guess is that it was entered into the codis database within a year of when a lot of the evidence was lost, i.e., 2006, 2007. Is there some proof otherwise?

The evidence against Spota seems to have been verified more thoroughly than the evidence against Bittrolff, maybe they should trade places.

If Bittrolff did have sex with the two girls right before they died then it is pretty certain he is guilty, but I don't understand the hesitation to examine the dna evidence and make sure the police submitted the same sample to codis as they removed from the body.

add
Sorry to be snappy, but I'm wondering how corrupt do police have to be before they are asked to prove that their evidence is genuine? Most of the police involved in this case were pretty directly involved in some very dishonest policework. Maybe when they say they have sure thing evidence like dna it would be wise to make sure.

-

add #2

Even among the most honest, respected police departments evidence tampering is a problem. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that it is much more widespread than most people think. I remember a video recently on youtube where a guy left his phone recording and it recorded the police trying to figure out how to make up charges.

There are a lot of fairly honest cops and it is a shame they don't try to force their crooked colleagues into line, but the truth is they don't. It's very rare for police to not go along with crookedness.

The State trooper scandal years back was probably the first famous case, you can't fake fingerprints, right?

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index...s_railroaded_with_state_polices_doctored.html

Shirley Kinge, who was wrongly convicted with phony evidence created by New York State Police in the murder of a Tompkins County family, died this week near her home in Atlanta. Kinge, 80, won a $250,000 verdict against the state in 2009 over two troopers' planting her fingerprint on a gasoline can at the scene of the murder of the four members of the Harris family in their Dryden home in December 1989.

A few months ago http://nypost.com/2017/04/17/man-freed-from-life-sentence-over-possible-evidence-tampering/

A Bronx man sentenced to life in prison for murdering a 15-year-old boy in 2009 walked out of court a free man Monday amid allegations of evidence-tampering in his case.

If the police have dna evidence against Bittrolff they should produce publicly a bunch of paper from the time of the murder til now, showing how the evidence was treated at every step.

Are they able to do that? Is there a reason they would not do that?

There is a lot of corruption in the histories of the people involved in prosecuting him, but it isn't clear yet if there is any 'corruption' element to this trial.

It seems like the simplest thing to simply have a very detailed history of the dna evidence in this case.

It was taken from the body and sent to a lab probably several times over the years. Are there no records of those lab results?

My guess is that it was entered into the codis database within a year of when a lot of the evidence was lost, i.e., 2006, 2007. Is there some proof otherwise?

The evidence against Spota seems to have been verified more thoroughly than the evidence against Bittrolff, maybe they should trade places.

If Bittrolff did have sex with the two girls right before they died then it is pretty certain he is guilty, but I don't understand the hesitation to examine the dna evidence and make sure the police submitted the same sample to codis as they removed from the body.

add
Sorry to be snappy, but I'm wondering how corrupt do police have to be before they are asked to prove that their evidence is genuine? Most of the police involved in this case were pretty directly involved in some very dishonest policework. Maybe when they say they have sure thing evidence like dna it would be wise to make sure.

-

add #2

Even among the most honest, respected police departments evidence tampering is a problem. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that it is much more widespread than most people think. I remember a video recently on youtube where a guy left his phone recording and it recorded the police trying to figure out how to make up charges.

There are a lot of fairly honest cops and it is a shame they don't try to force their crooked colleagues into line, but the truth is they don't. It's very rare for police to not go along with crookedness.

The State trooper scandal years back was probably the first famous case, you can't fake fingerprints, right?

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index...s_railroaded_with_state_polices_doctored.html

A few months ago http://nypost.com/2017/04/17/man-freed-from-life-sentence-over-possible-evidence-tampering/

If the police have dna evidence against Bittrolff they should produce publicly a bunch of paper from the time of the murder til now, showing how the evidence was treated at every step.

Are they able to do that? Is there a reason they would not do that?
I have a problem with the tactics of today's law enforcement: some seem like they are worst than gangsters but allowed to carry weapons. It's not just happening in Suffolk county. Looking at the big picture, people should be worried nationwide.

There's a chance bittrolf was framed to take the heat off the cop who was suspected of these murder. Burke was said to have child *advertiser censored*. That is sick sick sick when you are talking about the chief of police.

I live in Colorado and our sheriff's dept is an honorable group so I am both naive and shocked when I read about the potential of someone in law enforcement killing women.

I have a problem with the tactics of today's law enforcement: some seem like they are worst than gangsters but allowed to carry weapons. It's not just happening in Suffolk county. Looking at the big picture, people should be worried nationwide.

There's a chance bittrolf was framed to take the heat off the cop who was suspected of these murder. Burke was said to have child *advertiser censored*. That is sick sick sick when you are talking about the chief of police.

I live in Colorado and our sheriff's dept is an honorable group so I am both naive and shocked when I read about the potential of someone in law enforcement killing women.

The big difference between regular gangsters and police is that if you force each to do their job properly, the regular gangsters cause mayhem and the police counteract that. Unfortunately there is no easy way to force the police to do their jobs properly.

I do think it is likely that Bittrolff was set up to distract people from the possibility that the killers are associated with and protected by a group of people associated with law enforcement and similar jobs. The evidence seems to point in that way.

I do not doubt that Burke had child *advertiser censored* but I am a little bit skeptical. He had plenty of girlfriends and was an active patron of local prostitutes, so it seems more likely something else was going on. It could be that he got that for another police officer, or it could be that he was going to use that material in one of his odd schemes. Remember he had monitored all sorts of people, bugged and used gps trackers and so on to watch people who challenged both his small mafia as well as the extended political interest that made use of him. He was not collecting information simply to entertain himself or gossip, he did act against some of his 'enemies' and maybe his intention was to use it in a 'police' way.

As for Colorodo police being honorable, there is no such thing as an honorable group. There are people that are decent on a particular day but a group does not have qualities like decency, it's like saying a group has red hair or smokes. And if you are shocked by the idea of people in law enforcement killing women you are, as you say, naive. I've lived in a number of places, in several countries, and the one constant everywhere is that police commit violence against woman at far higher rates than any other group, and are not held accountable even to the slightest degree. Most people, even most Americans, have no idea of the true scope of violence commited by police against women.

The big difference between regular gangsters and police is that if you force each to do their job properly, the regular gangsters cause mayhem and the police counteract that. Unfortunately there is no easy way to force the police to do their jobs properly.

I do think it is likely that Bittrolff was set up to distract people from the possibility that the killers are associated with and protected by a group of people associated with law enforcement and similar jobs. The evidence seems to point in that way.

I do not doubt that Burke had child *advertiser censored* but I am a little bit skeptical. He had plenty of girlfriends and was an active patron of local prostitutes, so it seems more likely something else was going on. It could be that he got that for another police officer, or it could be that he was going to use that material in one of his odd schemes. Remember he had monitored all sorts of people, bugged and used gps trackers and so on to watch people who challenged both his small mafia as well as the extended political interest that made use of him. He was not collecting information simply to entertain himself or gossip, he did act against some of his 'enemies' and maybe his intention was to use it in a 'police' way.

As for Colorodo police being honorable, there is no such thing as an honorable group. There are people that are decent on a particular day but a group does not have qualities like decency, it's like saying a group has red hair or smokes. And if you are shocked by the idea of people in law enforcement killing women you are, as you say, naive. I've lived in a number of places, in several countries, and the one constant everywhere is that police commit violence against woman at far higher rates than any other group, and are not held accountable even to the slightest degree. Most people, even most Americans, have no idea of the true scope of violence commited by police against women.
Maybe Burke is selling sick *advertiser censored* which includes child *advertiser censored* and perhaps snuff? Both deeply evil.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen