TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

It's just odd that in most other cases people call for blood even if the perp has children who will miss the murderer. In this case, SM, a man who chose to murder his ex and essentially orphan his kids, is being treated as a good dad whose kids need him. Again, good dads don't murder their kids' mom. His actions necessarily prevented him from parenting his kids. They have no parents now because of him. Not because of necessary laws meant to protect society and punish criminals.

I am so far behind now, but wanted to say I agree with everything you are saying. SM deserves no sympathy.

Regardless of what she thought of her decisions, I wish I love his children and I cannot kill their mother.

Ugh. This is why I hate using talk to text! I sound drunk in that quote... This was supposed to say, "Regardless of what he thought of her decisions, I wish he loved his children enough to not kill their mother."

If he's told her to her face on a number of occasions that he's going to KILL her, it's premeditated. He's fantasized about killing her repeatedly if he said things like that to her when they were married. He's an evil pig. Why cut him any slack? And why would the kids benefit from a relationship with an evil, abusive, controlling person. Ugh! That's child abuse to force them to interact. People like him eventually turn on their kids, too. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't see where anyone is suggesting that the children be *forced* to interact with their father. I hope they'll receive plenty of therapy and later if they choose to have a relationship with their only surviving parent, that's their prerogative.

I don't think it's about cutting him any slack, IMO. I think it's about cutting the kids slack.

It's not necessarily true that people like him would definitely turn on their kids. I'm sure it happens more often than we're aware. However, I have a relative who was controlling and abusive to his wife (not to the point of death fortunately), and yet was very good to his kids. Even after serving time for abusing his wife, he was a very welcomed, very involved part of three of his four children's lives (one child did not have a relationship with him). His wrath was reserved for his (now ex-) wife. Is this typical? Perhaps not, but humans are complex beings. JMO

Yes, I believe SMc is vile and committed a heinous crime for which I hope he's severely punished. His three kids, in time, will decide whether this horrific crime negates any positive feelings they may have ever had for him. My prayers are with the children and all who loved Crystal.

If anyone has the autopsy report and the 'motive' for murder please post it.
TIA

SM should have felt remorse a little sooner. Perhaps before the mother of his children spent weeks exposed to the elements, including torrential rains. It really makes me sick. How could the thought of that not bother him if he was sorry for what he'd done? I think I'd be a lot more sympathetic if he'd cooled down, called a neighbor to watch the kids, then called 911 to report what he did. It would have shown a deep and immediate regret. But he didn't. In his head it's always been about him. What Crystal did to him. Protecting himself. I just can't even feel bad for him.

I agree. He only confessed when presented with the facts against him, from what it sounds like. Until then it seems he was content with her being thrown away like trash.

I don't see where anyone is suggesting that the children be *forced* to interact with their father. I hope they'll receive plenty of therapy and later if they choose to have a relationship with their only surviving parent, that's their prerogative.

I don't think it's about cutting him any slack, IMO. I think it's about cutting the kids slack.

It's not necessarily true that people like him would definitely turn on their kids. I'm sure it happens more often than we're aware. However, I have a relative who was controlling and abusive to his wife (not to the point of death fortunately), and yet was very good to his kids. Even after serving time for abusing his wife, he was a very welcomed, very involved part of three of his four children's lives (one child did not have a relationship with him). His wrath was reserved for his (now ex-) wife. Is this typical? Perhaps not, but humans are complex beings. JMO

Yes, I believe SMc is vile and committed a heinous crime for which I hope he's severely punished. His three kids, in time, will decide whether this horrific crime negates any positive feelings they may have ever had for him. My prayers are with the children and all who loved Crystal.

Well said Elle.

Ugh. This is why I hate using talk to text! I sound drunk in that quote... This was supposed to say, "Regardless of what he thought of her decisions, I wish he loved his children enough to not kill their mother."
Sorry but that's hilarious (not the sentiment of course) talk to text is the bane of my existence!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree, they've already been dealing with counselors, right? It may be that it didn't matter what Steve wanted, the counselors (who have the kids welfare at heart) said that seeing Steve was a good idea.
If I were the Aunt and I trusted the counselors i'd do what they thought was best. The family has no experience with this situation, they need guidance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On last nights AB transcript:

Sheriff BH-
"Well there's no doubt that this man was passionately in love with her"

That is a bizarre comment from a man who doesn't even know Steve. The sheriff continues to speak out as though he is the official expert on many topics.

If I had to guess, this sheriff in particular is very old-fashion when it comes to relationships, marriage, children, divorce, etc. It seems to be passed down from generation to generation and seems to be nearly impossible to break the cycle. It's all they've ever known growing up and it seems small communities/rural areas turn a blind eye if they see or hear that type of behavior (or practice that behavior in their own life). Plus, he's only heard one side of the story...who knows what stories SM has been telling.

If he's told her to her face on a number of occasions that he's going to KILL her, it's premeditated. He's fantasized about killing her repeatedly if he said things like that to her when they were married. He's an evil pig. Why cut him any slack? And why would the kids benefit from a relationship with an evil, abusive, controlling person. Ugh! That's child abuse to force them to interact. People like him eventually turn on their kids, too. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm scared SM, if given the opportunity, will try to convince the kids that CM was the "bad guy" and he was saving them or something equally ridiculous. He strikes me as very manipulative (if you leave I'll kill/hurt you/kids). Good dads don't threaten to harm their children. Good dads don't kill the mother of their children and certainly not while their children are in the same home.

I'm with the others who feel SM only cried because he was busted, not because he was sorry for killing CM. He was probably crying because he had to sell his precious car to pay for a lawyer/bond.

I also think an 8 year old will probably put things together soon if he hasn't already, or if the family hasn't told him. I'm sure my 8 year old daughter would immediately think if someone went to jail she knew, it was for hurting or killing someone. You can shelter them from the media, but you can't shelter them from their own logic/knowledge. Kids are smart, sometimes too smart for their own good.

When it comes to the kids visiting SM, it should definitely be up to the kids, but I feel the kids have every right to know why he's in there before making that decision. Maybe that's harsh, maybe I'm wrong for thinking kids deserve the very limited truth, but I feel the kids would not want to see him if they knew he was the reason they would never see their mom again.

The son is almost 9 and Crystal made many comments on twitter that he was put in the gifted and advanced classes. He sounds like a gorgeous, smart child so I am sure he understands more than they think.

If I had to guess, this sheriff in particular is very old-fashion when it comes to relationships, marriage, children, divorce, etc. It seems to be passed down from generation to generation and seems to be nearly impossible to break the cycle. It's all they've ever known growing up and it seems small communities/rural areas turn a blind eye if they see or hear that type of behavior (or practice that behavior in their own life). Plus, he's only heard one side of the story...who knows what stories SM has been telling.

I'm scared SM, if given the opportunity, will try to convince the kids that CM was the "bad guy" and he was saving them or something equally ridiculous. He strikes me as very manipulative (if you leave I'll kill/hurt you/kids). Good dads don't threaten to harm their children. Good dads don't kill the mother of their children and certainly not while their children are in the same home.

I'm with the others who feel SM only cried because he was busted, not because he was sorry for killing CM. He was probably crying because he had to sell his precious car to pay for a lawyer/bond.

I also think an 8 year old will probably put things together soon if he hasn't already, or if the family hasn't told him. I'm sure my 8 year old daughter would immediately think if someone went to jail she knew, it was for hurting or killing someone. You can shelter them from the media, but you can't shelter them from their own logic/knowledge. Kids are smart, sometimes too smart for their own good.

When it comes to the kids visiting SM, it should definitely be up to the kids, but I feel the kids have every right to know why he's in there before making that decision. Maybe that's harsh, maybe I'm wrong for thinking kids deserve the very limited truth, but I feel the kids would not want to see him if they knew he was the reason they would never see their mom again.

Agreed! I'm sure right now their world is upside down so they are gravitating to what they are familiar with right now while in shock of all the sudden changes, my heart breaks for them now and when they realize the absolute truth. And I'm sure they, like most of us here, will not want to see him knowing the truth. I guess I admire the aunt's forgiveness but I do not understand it at all. And admire might not even be the right word. Maybe she is in shock I don't know. I can understand forgiving someone who got into an accident and killed a loved one but not this?! Like you said he was controlling, manipulative and threatening in the past... I don't like the idea of him trying to justify this to them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope that both kids have the same feelings and opinions when they are older, so as not to have a wedge between them. Have seen several cases where the kids were split as to believing that dad really did it, i.e. I hate that so many of those selfish *+^%#^ won't ever confess even once convicted. Hope SM sticks to his confession at least.

I'm totally flummoxed @ the murderer of his own children's mother being allowed to even see his children after he was arrested. Where is the empathy / sympathy for what Crystal endured? He killed her and dumped her body in the woods. Are all murderers given kid-glove treatment. He's supposed to feel bad, ashamed, guilty, etc. Heck with his pity party.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
In this particular case it is extremely likely that had Steve not confessed and led them to Crystal that it would be very difficult to prosecute him for Crystal's murder. If had gotten a lawyer instead, LE may have still been trying to find her and considering the specific way Crystal was killed it would be a miracle if an ME would be able to determine that after the amount of time her body was out there. LE wouldn't have been able to prove where she had been killed, when, nor by whom. The District Attorney might have been willing to gamble on a trial under such circumstances but I don't think they would.

So I expect that if Steve were willing to confess in exchange for seeing his kids (and possibly other conditions) LE would have made that deal. I also expect that the visit with the kids was prior to being placed under arrest.

I read a report that said it took place in the *lounge room*. That has to be a major typo.

I thought that the reason the Sheriff was being so 'kindly' toward SM was so that SM would continue to be forthcoming with information.
If the Sheriff were to lambast him on national tv, then SM might clam up.
But now, it could actually be a mix of tactic, as well as actual empathy.
Even I'm *almost* starting to feel sorry for the guy. Not sorry or excusing that he killed Crystal, but just sorry for him that he was such a monumental idiot and couldn't handle his own emotions; and now his once lovely is over forever. By his own hands. (Literally as well as figuratively.)
But, imo, it seems it was mostly (or all?) his own doing in the first place, in why Crystal left him.
Looking back on all her sm pages, it seems Crystal really wanted a "whole" family unit... but as much as she wanted it, and as much as she tried, she just couldn't continue on with SM. To me, that speaks volumes about him; whether he was an "involved father" or not.

I think strangling the mother of your children to death is more than being. A "monumental idiot". To me, this is a minimization of the horror of this man's conscious decision. It wasn't that he couldn't handle his own emotions. It's that he is a controlling, abusive monster who chose to end her life rather than know she was with someone else.

The son is almost 9 and Crystal made many comments on twitter that he was put in the gifted and advanced classes. He sounds like a gorgeous, smart child so I am sure he understands more than they think.

Can anyone link to their twitter accounts? Thanks!!!

I think strangling the mother of your children to death is more than being. A "monumental idiot". To me, this is a minimization of the horror of this man's conscious decision. It wasn't that he couldn't handle his own emotions. It's that he is a controlling, abusive monster who chose to end her life rather than know she was with someone else.

Can anyone link to their twitter accounts? Thanks!!!

you are not allowed to link from social media accounts as far as I know but CM twitter gives an insight into how much she worshipped her children and how much she loved spending time with them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back