FL - Yanelly 'Nelly' Zoller, 4, dies reaching into her grandmother's purse, Sept 2017

Lots of people do that. People with conceal carry licenses. When I ask about it they say they have to access it quickly. But usually they have it on their hip or whatever.

I think people are really convinced that having a loaded gun at hand is safer than not. And they mistrust the stats that say it's the opposite.

I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.

Wow, that's crazy. It doesn't matter how much he's trained his kids, they're still juveniles whose brains aren't fully developed. All kinds of bad things could happen. Someone should report him to Dept. of Children's Services.

I can't fathom anyone keeping a loaded gun around at all times because "they need to get to it quickly". Where do they live? Afghanistan?

This wasn't a grandchild that visited once in a while. She spent tons of time there. I just don't see why there wasn't precautions taken to prevent this.

:cry:

Her gun should have had at least 3 safeties

1. The safety button on the gun itself and utilizing the safety feature, it's there for a reason.

2. The safety of disarming and placing the gun in a gun safe or safe place away from curious hands while children are present or at other family members/friends homes, and locking gun in the glove box of the vehicle and or trunk of the car.

3. Common sense and using common sense.

Godspeed, Yanelly :angel:

Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.

Actually they can do exactly that. 200 plus countries do it successfully. This type of thing only happens in one major country in the world. Just one. Nowhere else.

I understand she is probably heartbroken but that just doesn't seem like enough this time.
The cases where a kid is visiting and they NEVER have kids around... I can grasp.
This one though.... this little girl practically LIVED there.
I simply don't understand being this careless.
Maybe there is some back story that would make it make sense....
Maybe she had just returned from the range and didn't expect the child to be there. Something.

Some governments can and have done.

If I may ask... the post your were replying to was....

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl12 View Post
Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.

Are you saying some governments have legislated against stupidity or
some governments have legislated against carrying a loaded gun?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...pa-grandma-purse-yanelly-zoller-a7964121.html

The dead girl’s mother Lizette Hernandez, who lives apart from Shane Zoller, is seeking full-time custody of her 19-month-old son.

“I don’t trust him with my child,” Ms Hernandez said. “I already lost one child. I don’t need to lose another.”

Ms Hernandez, who is 28 weeks pregnant, is also disputing the facts surrounding Nelly’s death. “First he told me that she was shot during a drive-by,” she said.

“Then he told me the gun was on the table… He’s told me too many versions of the story. I honestly don’t know what happened to my child.”

I an surprised anyone would have a gun I their purse either without the safety on or it was a model such as some revolvers that do not have a safety. In in order for it to go off accidentally it had to have had a hair trigger (one that requires less than 6 pounds of pressure).

I raised a child with loaded guns in the home but she was thought at as soon as she could walk that they were dangerous and required respect. She grew up knowing it was the person that caused gun accidents not the gun. However, I wouldn’t have a loaded gun within a mile of the daughter I am raising now. She has issues that prevent her from comprehending the dangers of most situations.

I believe any good parent (or parental figure) should address gun safety with their children right along with please and thank you and they can tell which children can behave safely. Guns in purses are not a good idea on any front. It isn’t good for the gun or the owner. The gun gets scratched and gets foreign objects and debris in the barrel and working parts. All it takes is an ink pen, pencil, lollipop stick or other item to get caught in the trigger area and the wrong movement can cause disaster. Holsters are made to hold guns not purses. Protect your investment, your life and your family properly store your guns and keep the safety on.

Another important thing to teach children at a very young age is they do not get into anyone's purse! If they want something that they think is in the purse, they go ask the owner.

It is not safe for a child to take the purse to the owner as no one knows what is in it.

But they can punish criminal negligence. Keeping a weapon in that manner around a four year old child is criminal negligence. Lock her up!!
I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.
I had a co worker who is the same way. I got frightened going over to his house for a weapons "show and tell". A lot of weapons were being passed around casually with a lot of distracting conversations going on.

Yes, his teenagers were well trained, and so was his wife. They knew a lot of trivia about calibres, models etc etc. But what scared me was how casual they were with the weapons. There are two types of people most prone to have accidental discharges:

A. those who are not familiar with weapons.
B. those so familiar with weapons that they have lost respect for them.

They were in the "B" category.

And another one. Kids just have to keep dying, because guns are just so freaking cool for adults to own. You can always just have another kid if one dies, but you can't give up your guns. :facepalm: This is a very weird society we live in, where guns are more important than kid's lives.

Police investigating shooting death of 1-year-old girl in northern Lawrence as ‘accidental’

A 1-year-old girl was killed in what is believed to be an accidental shooting Friday morning in Lawrence, police say.

The shooting was reported shortly after 10:30 a.m. at a home in the 600 block of North Michigan Street.

First responders attempted life-saving measures, but the child was unable to be revived and was declared dead at the scene, Lawrence police Sgt. Amy Rhoads said, in a news release.

Police investigating shooting death of 1-year-old girl in northern Lawrence as ‘accidental’

Another important thing to teach children at a very young age is they do not get into anyone's purse! If they want something that they think is in the purse, they go ask the owner.

It is not safe for a child to take the purse to the owner as no one knows what is in it.

Yes, it's important to teach children this. However, it's the responsibility of the gun owner to ensure their weapon is secure and out of the hands of little ones. Period. Yanelly was an innocent four year old child who should be alive and laughing today.

Cruel it may be, but I hope the grandmother is charged with some sort of negligence.

The problem was not having a loaded gun near a child.

The problem was the irresponsible person who did not have it properly contained and most likely the poor child had not been trained on gun safety. Many women carry in their purse. If a safety is ON, the gun WILL NOT FIRE. In addition, if grandma chose her purse as the place to carry a weapon, the child should have been properly trained that grandma's purse is off limits.

My father was gunsmith. All of his children and grands, etc. knew gun safety from a very young age.

And another one. Kids just have to keep dying, because guns are just so freaking cool for adults to own. You can always just have another kid if one dies, but you can't give up your guns. :facepalm: This is a very weird society we live in, where guns are more important than kid's lives.

No one who is a gun advocate has EVER said that. We advocate for gun safety.

Gun safety? The kid was 4, looking for candy.

Have we stooped so low to blaming 4 year old victims?

Gun safety? The kid was 4, looking for candy.

Have we stooped so low to blaming 4 year old victims?

Well, exactly. I don't know how much gun safety one can teach to a 4 year old anyway. And I would think that gun safety would suggest not to keep loaded weapon within a reach of a small child to begin with.

Well, exactly. I don't know how much gun safety one can teach to a 4 year old anyway. And I would think that gun safety would suggest not to keep loaded weapon within a reach of a small child to begin with.

Agreed.

The best method of gun safety around children is not to have a gun in the house with them at all. If you need one for hunting, keep it in a locked cabinet at all times except for when you take it hunting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back