IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT="]http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/daniel-nations-colorado-hatchet-man-delphi-indiana-murders-photos/

Some third party references to his Marine status 2006 -2007:

"Daniel Nations has been a registered sex offender since 2007 after he was convicted of indecent exposure in Beaufort, South Carolina, that year, the state’s sex offender database shows.[URL="http://www.wtoc.com/story/7171046/parris-island-marine-behind-bars-for-indecent-exposure"] According to a WTOC-TV report [/URL]from the time of his arrest, Nations, then a Marine stationed at Parris Island, exposed himself while he was in his car in a parking lot and then again in front of a woman and her child who were riding bikes.[/FONT]

[FONT="]
"But police said it was not his first time being arrested for that crime. He was charged with indecent exposure four times while stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and a fifth time while in Spartanburg, South Carolina."[/FONT]

Thanks for posting up a link that verifies DN was a marine in the military. Doesn't look like he had any overseas deployments though. I would say for whatever reason he is a very unhinged person whether that is from being mentally ill we don't know, but his behaviour is definitely not normal.

la_cavalière;13659093 said:
Do we know if DNA was found at the scene in Delphi? If so, wouldn't they have matched it to DN's DNA if it was on file as a registered sex offender?

This has been one of the big questions all along. We just don't know.

My opinion is that yes, DNA was found.

So he did check in with the Morgan Co Sheriff on February 7 and 14, which were Tuesdays. All week I've been pondering what could've brought DN to Delphi. His confirmed check-in dates change things up now.

I have run all kinds of scenarios through my head many of them don't work now because of his documented presence in Morgan County on the 7th and 14th.

I've eliminated any kind of structured work with a regular schedule (Packers plant or construction at Purdue/Lafayette was going on last winter). Drug screen required, ID and SS# for taxes, possibly a background check. And he would've had to pull off the weekday absence to travel to Morgan Co on Tuesday 2/7 to check-in. Unless he called off. But then he would've been absent again Monday 2/13. Unless he was working a 6AM -2 PM construction shift. Either way, he disappeared after 2/13. One would think given the local murders and his immediate disappearance that would be a red flag to co-workers and/or employer, in which case they'd be able to ID him to LE.

I've very difficult to envision him being unemployed, homeless and drawn to staying outdoors near Delphi. That area has some locally known recreational lakes and county parks, but mostly it's vast flat farmland with small towns. Not really known as 'the great outdoors' of Indiana. If that's what he wanted, Hoosier National Forest in southern Indiana would seem more of a draw for him. Two locations, HNF has massive hills, thick forests, rugged terrain. Depending on which one he went to, he could be 40 miles or 70 miles due south of Morgan County. Versus traveling 100 miles north to Delphi area. Unless something has happened with him in/near HNF and it was too risky for him to go back.

So why Delphi?
Did he somehow land at RL's place doing odd jobs? If the Martinsville farmer/employer didn't know his background maybe RL didn't either. Maybe he lied and told RL he had visitation with his child on Tuesdays, RL bought it and loaned him a vehicle for the day, which he used to make the trip to Morgan Co. on the 7th. The week goes on, marital stresses were building up, nicer day on the 13th, RL is in Lafayette, DN walked across the road to the trails to do his favorite thing (exposing himself), girls were a chance encounter, the switch was tripped. Then he got out of dodge in time to check-in on the 14th. This could explain LE being all over RL's buildings, RL's "in your own house" comment and towing of RL's truck?

The only other scenario I can come up with to put him in Delphi was that he was deliberately stalking young girls on SM. Logistically it would've been easier to stalk someone closer to Morgan Co given the check-ins, but then if he was planning something, he'd be too close to the scene. So did plan this well in advance and arrange a meeting, the girls innocently thinking they were meeting a boy from SM? (ETA: this would've been a more spontaneous meeting and created a quick trip up to Delphi due to school being off, but SO's have been known to travel distances to meet prey. Then there is the means of getting there, car or hitchhike?)

The above isn't really anything new. To me the verified check-ins on 2/7 & 2/14 create more of a puzzle if anything. If you read all this, thanks for indulging.

Person of interest in Delphi murders was living homeless in Indiana the same week girls’ bodies were found, police say

http://fox59.com/2017/09/29/man-cal...same-week-girls-bodies-were-found-police-say/

Daniel Nations, 31, was living under bridges in Morgan County when the girls were murdered, according to the Morgan County Sheriff's Department.

"He came in on February 7, 2017 and then came in on February 14, 2017 and checked in, said Worth.

The girls' bodies were found on Feb. 14. According to documents from authorities, Nations never missed his weekly check-in from Jan. 31 - April 4 this year.

The alleged menacing happened in the same area where a well-known cyclist was found shot to death earlier this month. Nations also faces a felony weapons possession charge in Teller County, and was charged earlier this summer with presenting a false ID to an officer in Georgetown.

Did we already know this?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ions-over-possible-connection-to-teen-murders

So DN presented a false ID to an officer in Georgetown. I wonder was it stolen or did he have it made. Clearly, he did not want to be identified, but whether it was because he was a murderer on the run or a sex offender on the run remains to be seen. I also am curious about the situation with the officer in Georgetown, was he pulled over driving? If so were the Indiana plates still valid at that point? I have trouble believing he was pulled over in a car because LE would have found his ID didn't match the registration, unless KN was driving in that instance too. Or was he in a bar? I wish there were more details because spotting that fake ID could have potentially saved the life of Tim Watkins.

Just wondering....if he was homeless at this time, he may have been staying in an outbuilding near the bridge.

In which case LE may have found evidence of this.

All speculation of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this one. Assuming DN is BG, and knowing that DN is comfortable in the woods, and was homeless and had a tendency to live under bridges (according to MSM), its not a stretch to think he was camped out in the Delphi area by the Monon High Bridge in Feb. 2107. At this point in his life he was a drifter, split from his wife with a baby on the way, and likely experiencing stress. I think he was squatting in one of RL's outbuidlings (unknown to RL), hence the search warrants and intense focus on RL and his property. This gives DN/BG a connection to the crime scene and intimate knowledge of the trails and area the girls were found. So even though he technically isn't a Delphi local, he knows the bridge area as well as any local. I think this is why the people of Delphi couldn't identify BG. He probably wasn't in town very long before the murder, and he left immediately after (checking in with authorities elsewhere in Indiana on Feb. 14th). Nobody in Delphi would really know him well or miss him when he left.

I think DN/BG lived a dysfunctional lifestyle. I think he may have FAS, definitely a violent temper, and probably substance abuse issues. I think he may have depression or another mental illness. He is an RSO, and clearly had access to weapons (as per his arrest in CO). I'm not sure if he was out for a kill on Feb. 13 when he came across the girls or not, but I feel he was out strolling on the trails as he would have had nothing better to do with his time when homeless and unemployed. I think he was bundled up in layers of clothing for warmth considering he was living outdoors, and probably didn't have a decent place to store or launder his clothing. I think he also had his weapons (gun? hatchet? other?) on him for protection and to facilitate his outdoor survival, and possibly to harm/intimidate others.

I think Abby and Libby caught DN/BG's eye sometime between 2:00and 3:00pm and he started following them. I think this creeped them out enough for Libby to record him. Its been suggested that he may have been exposing himself or brandishing a weapon (hatchet?)--this would fit with his past--but I'm not convinced. I think the motive was SA though. Being on the rickety surface and confided area of the bridge the girls had no place to run from him. I think he stalked them until the end of the bridge, and then pulled a weapon and ordered them 'down the hill'.

At this point I don't hear anger in his voice. He seems pretty calm and in control. Out of fear the girls would have complied. I think DN/BG may have intended to walk the girls to the outbuilding where he was staying so he could do the SA in a more private, controlled setting, but at some point by the creek one or both of the girls made a break for freedom. I think DN/BG got angry and panicked and lost control of the situation at this point and killed both of them quickly. Maybe they were shot, like TM in CO, and only partially buried/concealed with twigs/leaves (hence the similarities in the cases). I'm not convinced he got a chance to SA either of the girls (I sure hope not), and think they may have been killed in a way that didn't cause a lot of blood to transfer to his clothing. I think he collected his duffel bag and walked/hitch-hiked out of the area around the same time the girls family arrived for their pickup time.

No matter how sad and twisted this case is, I'm not convinced it is as complicated as we have theorized it out to be. I don't think DN/BG is very intelligent. I don't think this case is related to a secret cult or meth lab. I don't think he lured the girls to the bridge through SM. He may be a seriel killer, but I don't see him in the same category as someone like Ted Bundy. I think DN/BG was down on his luck and highl stressed, I think he is triggered easily towards violence, and I think he has sick sexual urges. I think life circumstances put him in the area of the Monon High Bridge on Feb. 13th and unfortunately for Abby and Libby, they crossed paths. It was the 'perfect storm'. I doubt they spent more than 20-30 mintues together. It breaks my heart that that brief moment in time ended the lives of two beautiful, accomplished girls, and changed the lives of their family, friends, and community. I truely hope that DN is BG so the girls may get justice and the family and community may get some peace.

This has been one of the big questions all along. We just don't know.

My opinion is that yes, DNA was found.

But if DNA was found at the scene, they would have run it through the database and hit on DN. IIRC all registered sex offenders are in the DNA database.

So he did check in with the Morgan Co Sheriff on February 7 and 14, which were Tuesdays. All week I've been pondering what could've brought DN to Delphi. His confirmed check-in dates change things up now.

I have run all kinds of scenarios through my head many of them don't work now because of his documented presence in Morgan County on the 7th and 14th.

I've eliminated any kind of structured work with a regular schedule (Packers plant or construction at Purdue/Lafayette was going on last winter). Drug screen required, ID and SS# for taxes, possibly a background check. And he would've had to pull off the weekday absence to travel to Morgan Co on Tuesday 2/7 to check-in. Unless he called off. But then he would've been absent again Monday 2/13. Unless he was working a 6AM -2 PM construction shift. Either way, he disappeared after 2/13. One would think given the local murders and his immediate disappearance that would be a red flag to co-workers and/or employer, in which case they'd be able to ID him to LE.

I've very difficult to envision him being unemployed, homeless and drawn to staying outdoors near Delphi. That area has some locally known recreational lakes and county parks, but mostly it's vast flat farmland with small towns. Not really known as 'the great outdoors' of Indiana. If that's what he wanted, Hoosier National Forest in southern Indiana would seem more of a draw for him. Two locations, HNF has massive hills, thick forests, rugged terrain. Depending on which one he went to, he could be 40 miles or 70 miles due south of Morgan County. Versus traveling 100 miles north to Delphi area. Unless something has happened with him in/near HNF and it was too risky for him to go back.

So why Delphi?
Did he somehow land at RL's place doing odd jobs? If the Martinsville farmer/employer didn't know his background maybe RL didn't either. Maybe he lied and told RL he had visitation with his child on Tuesdays, RL bought it and loaned him a vehicle for the day, which he used to make the trip to Morgan Co. on the 7th. The week goes on, marital stresses were building up, nicer day on the 13th, RL is in Lafayette, DN walked across the road to the trails to do his favorite thing (exposing himself), girls were a chance encounter, the switch was tripped. Then he got out of dodge in time to check-in on the 14th. This could explain LE being all over RL's buildings, RL's "in your own house" comment and towing of RL's truck?

The only other scenario I can come up with to put him in Delphi was that he was deliberately stalking young girls on SM. Logistically it would've been easier to stalk someone closer to Morgan Co given the check-ins, but then if he was planning something, he'd be too close to the scene. So did plan this well in advance and arrange a meeting, the girls innocently thinking they were meeting a boy from SM?

The above isn't really anything new. To me the verified check-ins on 2/7 & 2/14 create more of a puzzle if anything. If you read all this, thanks for indulging.

Excellent post with great thoughts. Your speculation regarding RL is fascinating, makes me wonder if LE has paid him a visit in the last few days. Imagine the guilt he would feel in that scenario.

I'm trying to catch up on this thread going backwards.

I keep seeing posts about fetal alcohol syndrome. As posts here should have basis.. Is that grasping of something not documented.. or has it been documented somewhere?

Excellent post with great thoughts. Your speculation regarding RL is fascinating, makes me wonder if LE has paid him a visit in the last few days. Imagine the guilt he would feel in that scenario.

I would think LE have talked to RL and questioned him about DN being on his property around the time of the murders?

Depending on how all of this pans out, it's going to be really interesting to find out who provided that last sketch and indicated "the eyes are NOT blue".

Of course, we may never know--this particular person's ID may be kept anonymous for their protection.

ETA:
I would think LE have talked to RL and questioned him about DN being on his property around the time of the murders?

Maybe, but I would think said interview would be kept under wraps as part of building a case against DN.

Just MVHO.​

Something brought him to Delphi. Was he there the entire week between court check ins? Long enough to get familiar with the surroundings and specifically RL's place?

If it is him and the hatchet was used as the murder weapon can the case be sealed by the judge so the full horror of what went down is not publicly revealed?

I don’t think publicly revealing the girls died of a extremely violent death is going to help anyone particularly the families. I will just be happy knowing the sick ******* is in jail.

Unless RL has been working with them all along regarding this angle. Just because he's imprisoned on an unrelated charge doesn't mean he wouldn't be a decent enough person to tell all he knows about a possible murderer camping out on his property.

That is why I wonder if he really was in the military.....we need to see proof of his time served.

FWIW, go to www.familytreenow.com and enter DN name and state of Indiana. His birth year is 1985. While this website results are not always accurate, they show him living at:

General Address, Parris Island, SC 29905
(Aug 2007)
S 2nd Mar Dv, Camp Lejeune, NC 28542
(Jan 2005)
2nd Mar Dv, Camp Lejeune, NC 28542
(Jan 2005)
10 India Battery #2MAR, Camp Lejeune, NC 28542
(Jun 2004)

Results also show numerous other addresses. If one has the time and notion, they could compare these addresses with local court records to search for further criminal records.

If it is him and the hatchet was used as the murder weapon can the case be sealed by the judge so the full horror of what went down is not publicly revealed?

I don’t think publicly revealing the girls died of a extremely violent death is going to help anyone particularly the families. I will just be happy knowing the sick ******* is in jail.

I can't even imagine a family member, or even a juror, sitting through a trial with details.

Unless RL has been working with them all along regarding this angle. Just because he's imprisoned on an unrelated charge doesn't mean he wouldn't be a decent enough person to tell all he knows about a possible murderer camping out on his property.

I agree.

la_cavalière;13659124 said:
But if DNA was found at the scene, they would have run it through the database and hit on DN. IIRC all registered sex offenders are in the DNA database.

I'm not totally convinced that DN's DNA was on file, except through the military. His sexual offense was indecent exposure, not any kind of physical assault, correct? Depending on the year and locale, maybe DNA was not required there/then??

It's also possible they DID get a hit and just have been able to find him until now because he's been purposefully under the radar??? Sorry if I've missed whether or not he's checked in with a parole officer after Feb. 14th....? This is all getting very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheSolver