KY KY - Kathy, 48, & Samantha Netherland, 16, Botland, 21 Apr 2014

Bardstown is a place where strange things happen.

1) There is a new unsolved murder. On June 4, Michael Wayne Unseld, 61 was killed. He lived in a room above the Broken Tee Nite Club, 700 block of West Stephen Foster Avenue. I don´t know if he already resided in that place in 2013 and 2014, but the crime scene is very near of Bardswon schools (Kathy and Samantha Netherland and Amy Ellis). Stephen Foster Restaurant, which is one of the places mentioned by Kathy in her facebook , is 180 yards away.

In 2009 Unseld killed during a hunting accident (squirrels !) to a certain Derek Downs. No charges by Grand Jury.

http://www.wlky.com/news/no-arrests-made-in-saturday-bardstown-slaying/39944302

2) Two Bardstown men missing for nearly two years in Oregon were found Thursday in what investigators say they believe was a murder/suicide. The bodies of John K. Wood and his son, Jason, were found Thursday evening off Dog River Trail in the Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon, according to a press release from the Hood River County Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.kystandard.com/content/bodies-missing-father-son-found-oregon

They disappeared in September 2014. Detectives have not said who killed whom and why. They should give some information to rule out that there may be some connection with the Ellis or Netherland cases.

Who knows....

I was in an Autism Cadre with Kathy and went to church with her in Campbellsville. We were never close, but I knew who she was in passing. Based on local "gossip" : I have developed three theories:

1)The older daughter was dating a guy the family did not approve of. He was, reportedly, not allowed to come to Easter dinner. Given her behavior at the funeral home, and her recent falling outs with family. I am concerned she is involved.

2) Kathy was a teacher for emotionally disabled students. Could one of them have had something to do with this?

3) Kathy and her daughter had babysat for the Ellis's. Could she have known something that caused her to be a threat?

I am leaning toward the daughter knowing who did it. I don't think she planned it but I think she was made aware after the fact. I believe she suspected who it may be, but choosing to distance herself from the actual murders. I wonder if the older daughter wasn't jealous of the younger sister? And also with the comment made in the beginning, she didn't know about her sister having a boyfriend, especially knowing the sister and mom shopping for the Prom attire. I am sure it was talked about, among the three of them.

I also wonder about the new boyfriend of Samantha. Could that fast relationship have been a set-up. It has happened, girls get angry because their ex has found someone new and the threat of harm could be flattering to him. Since Samantha was said to be a sophomore, this would not have been HER prom, it would have been a senior or junior who had asked her. Could it be older sister had a crush on who would at that time been a senior. It would only be one year behind her? So many ways for this to go but, I don't think this case is anyway tied to the other 2 cases. I think be now you would have heard a larger connection between the cases. The other two have strong ties to the police department. IMO

I was in an Autism Cadre with Kathy and went to church with her in Campbellsville. We were never close, but I knew who she was in passing. Based on local "gossip" : I have developed three theories:

1)The older daughter was dating a guy the family did not approve of. He was, reportedly, not allowed to come to Easter dinner. Given her behavior at the funeral home, and her recent falling outs with family. I am concerned she is involved.

2) Kathy was a teacher for emotionally disabled students. Could one of them have had something to do with this?

3) Kathy and her daughter had babysat for the Ellis's. Could she have known something that caused her to be a threat?
could you please elaborate on on the recent falling outs with family? I sleuthed her Twitter account last year which included several comments regarding being angry with her family and statements that she didn't need them. HN has since married the boyfriend, assuming he is the same one her family didn't approve of, and he is former military personnel. HN also tweeted regarding her own senior prom, which she attended alone. I'm a little foggy on the details but she too posted pics of her prom apparel. The murder of Samantha was personal and I too have suspected HN knew or participated in the murders. Thanks in advance for any additional information you may be able to provide.
also, I recall previous discussion regarding that SN babysat the Ellis children but do we have any confirmation? I have always suspected some sort of acquaintance between the Netherland and Ellis families but was never able to confirm it.

Bardstown is a place where strange things happen.

1) There is a new unsolved murder. On June 4, Michael Wayne Unseld, 61 was killed. He lived in a room above the Broken Tee Nite Club, 700 block of West Stephen Foster Avenue. I don´t know if he already resided in that place in 2013 and 2014, but the crime scene is very near of Bardswon schools (Kathy and Samantha Netherland and Amy Ellis). Stephen Foster Restaurant, which is one of the places mentioned by Kathy in her facebook , is 180 yards away.

In 2009 Unseld killed during a hunting accident (squirrels !) to a certain Derek Downs. No charges by Grand Jury.

http://www.wlky.com/news/no-arrests-made-in-saturday-bardstown-slaying/39944302

2) Two Bardstown men missing for nearly two years in Oregon were found Thursday in what investigators say they believe was a murder/suicide. The bodies of John K. Wood and his son, Jason, were found Thursday evening off Dog River Trail in the Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon, according to a press release from the Hood River County Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.kystandard.com/content/bodies-missing-father-son-found-oregon

They disappeared in September 2014. Detectives have not said who killed whom and why. They should give some information to rule out that there may be some connection with the Ellis or Netherland cases.

Who knows....
i cannot for one minute believe that the woods father and son drove all the way to Oregon for a murder/suicide scenario. Nope.

We have a young woman who has lost her entire family, and I am surprised that it is insinuate her participation in the crime based on rumors.

No facts. Rumors, gossips, evil-speaking.

Facts:

-She remains in contact with at least some members of her family.

-No trace of a boyfriend before the crimes. So no Easter dinner ban. She was, in fact, studying at the university.

And finally:

Kahty babysitting? Really?

It's hard to speculate on this case because of how few details there are publicly available. Have police said anything about items being stolen from the home? I could see this case as a burglary gone bad, or a case where the perpetrators went to the wrong house thinking that there were drugs or valuables instead of it being a normal suburban family home.

I agree with Muy Curioso that I can't see the older sister being involved with this. Your average person, much less your average 19 year old college student, doesn't have the level of criminal acumen to solicit someone to murder their mother and sister for insurance money and get away with it.

It's hard to speculate on this case because of how few details there are publicly available. Have police said anything about items being stolen from the home? I could see this case as a burglary gone bad, or a case where the perpetrators went to the wrong house thinking that there were drugs or valuables instead of it being a normal suburban family home.

I agree with Muy Curioso that I can't see the older sister being involved with this. Your average person, much less your average 19 year old college student, doesn't have the level of criminal acumen to solicit someone to murder their mother and sister for insurance money and get away with it.

I followed this case in the beginning. I honestly thought it would be solved quickly. The crime took place in broad daylight! LE believed there was at least two perpetrators, as they were killed with different weapons. Samantha seemed to be the prime target. Nothing at all was missing from the home. LE in Bardstown have certainly had their share of controversy! Seems nothing gets resolved there, and such a beautiful town.

I would love to see this horrible double murder solved, but I have my doubts with all the crime surrounding this little town from the top, down and sideways. Hopefully, someone will supply the information needed to bring these perpetrators to justice.

I followed this case in the beginning. I honestly thought it would be solved quickly. The crime took place in broad daylight! LE believed there was at least two perpetrators, as they were killed with different weapons. Samantha seemed to be the prime target. Nothing at all was missing from the home. LE in Bardstown have certainly had their share of controversy! Seems nothing gets resolved there, and such a beautiful town.

I would love to see this horrible double murder solved, but I have my doubts with all the crime surrounding this little town from the top, down and sideways. Hopefully, someone will supply the information needed to bring these perpetrators to justice.

-This case is being investigated by KSP, no by Bardstown or Nelson County LE.

-At least three different types of weapons. Two killers?, three?, one? Sure they have no evidence of more than one.

-No motive. Puzzling. Get in, kill, get out. Likely in 15 or 20 minutes.

-KSP missed a great opportunity by hiding almost all the information about the crime. They bet everything to find the Impala, and I'm afraid they will never find it.

I cant help but think this was an act of anger/jealousy against Kathy and a Samantha over her recent acceptance into the academy. Based on one of Kathy's Facebook posts, it sounds like it's very difficult to get into and she was not shy about boasting of samantha's accomplishments on FB. Could it have been another student/students parent who was trying to get into the same academy and acted out of jealous rage? Maybe wanting to open an extra spot into the academy? I know theories can sound wild sometimes, but at first glance and first impression, that's what I lean towards.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6694.jpg
    IMG_6694.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 214
This case was what led me to WS a few years ago when it happened. I kept checking for news and believed LE would surely make an arrest shortly for these murders. Broad daylight and nothing stolen. Just boggles the mind. Why these two innocents? Having absolutely no motive makes it harder to solve, IMHO. If they could find a motive, they'll find the criminals, perhaps. I have wondered over the years if it was possible these murderers (more than one) could have gone to the wrong house for a drug related revenge killing? I hope LE get the clue they need to solve this case along with other cases that plague Bardstown.

Well, this is a common denominator:

The murders of Jason Ellis, Kathy and Samantha Netherland and Tommy Ballard, and the disappearance (and almost certain the murder) of Crystal Rogers, all of them, happened in a full moon phase.

It is probably a coincidence, but a pretty curious one.

It is probably a coincidence, but a pretty curious one.

Local LE aren't releasing many details about these cases because they are all involved in some way. Whether victim or perpetrator, they're involved. Jason Ellis was a local cop and Crystal Rogers was in a tumultuous relationship with a local cop when she disappeared. Her father was her father, so his death is also tied in.

For the longest time, I didn't see how the Netherlands were connected to the other murders until I heard something through local gossip. I have no way to prove or disprove it, but apparently one of the Netherland girls babysat Crystal's kids. Gossip is gossip, but I've heard it from enough different sources that there has to be at least some truth to it.

Due to the unique circumstances of his death, Ellis likely knew about another cop doing something illegal. If the Netherland girl indeed babysat for Crystal's kids, that would tie them to Crystal's disappearance and her father's murder. Even if the Ellis/Rogers cases aren't directly related, all of these murders stemmed from someone "knowing too much."

I have lived in Bardstown my entire life. I have always believed that the older sister was somehow involved. I've heard from her own family that her behavior at the funeral and at town events immediately following the murders, was eerily euphoric. She seemed to be happily basking in the attention. The murderer cut off her sisters hair, the LE thoughts she was a male when she was found. Just tragic. Her own aunt told me that the older sister was involved with a shady boy at college and she had recently asked her mother for money and was told no and that she was absolutely livid. JMO, certainly pray that this case gets solved.

Local LE aren't releasing many details about these cases because they are all involved in some way. Whether victim or perpetrator, they're involved. Jason Ellis was a local cop and Crystal Rogers was in a tumultuous relationship with a local cop when she disappeared. Her father was her father, so his death is also tied in.

For the longest time, I didn't see how the Netherlands were connected to the other murders until I heard something through local gossip. I have no way to prove or disprove it, but apparently one of the Netherland girls babysat Crystal's kids. Gossip is gossip, but I've heard it from enough different sources that there has to be at least some truth to it.

Due to the unique circumstances of his death, Ellis likely knew about another cop doing something illegal. If the Netherland girl indeed babysat for Crystal's kids, that would tie them to Crystal's disappearance and her father's murder. Even if the Ellis/Rogers cases aren't directly related, all of these murders stemmed from someone "knowing too much."

Crystal's boyfriend was not a police officer. His brother was. The Netherland family has said that she did not babysit for Crystal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back