UK UK - Damien Nettles, 16, Isle of Wight England, 2 Nov 1996

It's also important the alleged motives of the prime suspect. Some report that the suspect was angry with Damien over a debt for a very small amount of cannabis. Others say that Damien apparently went to a flat where the suspect was to score drugs, allegedly. I find this more likely to annoy the suspect. Damien was allegedly seen shouting up to the window of the flat. In a small island, for a well known person, rumoured to be dealing drugs, such indiscretion could complicate their whole operations. This, I believe, could cause tempers to rise.

Off of the High Street, there is a rather clear entrance to the water by where the HSBC bank now sits. This is just beyond where the last camera was. Does anyone know how accessible this was back in 1996?

Regarding him going in the water, I find that hard to believe. All the experts at the time (including the local harbourmaster) who checked the currents and tides said his body would have washed up within the following few days. Of course that might not happen, but I trust their judgement on that. Plus, boat searches were lead in the area in the following days, which yielded nothing.

PS: CrackerC119, are you CrackerC117 off Unexplained Mysteries forum?

Table is work in progress, it doesn't display with dividers which makes it a bit tricky to read. Ah well!

Of course! Be warned, it's quite long:

Location on mapTitleSummary of event at location
#119:15 - 21:15 - Party at Grange RoadAround 19:15, Damien and Chris Boon arrive at a house party. They stay until around 21:15.
#221:30 - Buying Cider at Alldays - Well Road21:30 - Damien buys cider for himself and Chris Boon at Alldays
#321:45 - Chain Ferry21:45 - Damien and Chris take the chain ferry across from East Cowes to Cowes.
#422:00 - Duke Of York pub22:00 - Damien and Chris are spotted outside the Duke of York pub
#522:30 - Chris leaves to go home22:30 - Chris was cold and wet and wanted to go home. According to Chris, Damien said he was also going home, but we know he heads back to the High Street.
#622:45 - Witnesses see Damien in this area22:45 - Damien is seen near the Harbour Lights pub and Fountain pub and there is some exchange as he tries to enter pubs but is turned away.
#723:10 - Witnesses see Damien outside Harbour Lights pub23:10 - Damien is seen trying to get in to Harbour Lights pub.
#823:30 - Yorkie's Chips23:30 - Damien enters Yorkie's Chips. He is under the influence of something, and struggles to string a full sentence together.
He leaves about 5 minutes later and heads North.
#923:52 - Damien is seen walking South23:52 - Damien is witnessed heading South back past Yorkie's.
#10~23:55 - Damien talks to bus driver and nearby peopleAround 23:55 Damien gets on a bus and talks to the driver. He is clearly under the influence of something. He also talks to a couple of people nearby.
He then heads back toward the high street.
#1100:02 - CCTV captures Damien walking North.00:02 - Damien is seen walking North eating chips. This is the last known sighting of Damien. The footage has been lost.
He was not captured on any other CCTV.
#12~00:10 - witness claims to see Nicky Mac holding someone against a wallAround 00:10, a witness stated they saw Nicky McNamara holding a tall, young boy against a wall. It is thought this could have been Damien.
#13~00:30 - Witness possibly sighted Damien along Baring RoadAround 00:30 - a witness was driving along Baring Road and possibly saw Damien.
Around 00:30 - a witness was driving along Baring Road and possibly saw Damien.
Ivor Edwards (PI) was told by Shirley Berratt that Damien was picked up by Nicky McNamara and an unnamed man picked up Damien along Baring Road. She now denies ever having said this.

Here is the map zoomed out showing all locations. Bit tricky to share it this way as a lot of the locations are overlapping - if only I could embed my map in a post!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Map-1.jpg
    Map-1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 38
PS: CrackerC119, are you CrackerC117 off Unexplained Mysteries forum?[/QUOTE]

I sure am.

[video=youtube;G8P2K5QJW88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8P2K5QJW88[/video] This video suggests that Damien was bullied at school. It's clutching at straws, but perhaps that could also be something to consider with this case.

It seems that Chris Boon generally used Damien that evening, taking advantage of Damien's height to secure alcohol and try and get them in to pubs. But later, as Seryth said, Chris was cold and wet and wanting to go home. Damien had other ideas. Could this have led to a dispute between the two boys? It could possibly seem as though Chris was only there to get cider and possibly ​other sibstances from Damien. Could Damien have felt like his kind nature had been abused?

This video suggests that Damien was bullied at school.
I've just watched the video, didn't see any mention of Damien being bullied. When is that mentioned? Maybe I missed it.

It seems that Chris Boon generally used Damien that evening, taking advantage of Damien's height to secure alcohol and try and get them in to pubs. But later, as Seryth said, Chris was cold and wet and wanting to go home. Damien had other ideas. Could this have led to a dispute between the two boys? It could possibly seem as though Chris was only there to get cider and possibly ​other sibstances from Damien. Could Damien have felt like his kind nature had been abused?
That's an interesting theory. If that was the case, perhaps Chris got pissed off with Damien as he wasn't allowed in to a few pubs, thus failing to get any more alcohol etc. And as they mention in the documentary, they were short on money anyway. Then Chris storms off after an argument with Damien. Damien decides to go back and get chips before going home. Then maybe he sees Nicky Mac and tries to score drugs off him, which lead to an altercation and then something bad happening.

The beach chalet where Lynn Hammond&#8217;s source claims Damien was killed (Shore Rd. intersection) is only a 5-minute walk past the Nettle&#8217;s home in Gurnard. I wonder if Damien knew about the chalet party spot <quite possibly, jmo>, walked by his parent&#8217;s house to see if they were in bed, and then ventured over there with the intent of hanging with the druggy set?

That could fit with the Bars Hill (&#8220;nipper up against a wall&#8221;) alleged midnight sighting and the unconfirmed report of someone walking at the bottom of Damien&#8217;s street at 12:30am. Doesn&#8217;t agree with Shirley Barrett&#8217;s account to Ivor Edwards that NMac physically picked up Damien on Baring Road though.

(moo based on BBC 2016 special)

At 2:16 in the YouTube video, towards the bottom of the text is where bullyingi is mentioned.

The direction in which Damien was walking, when he was last seen was not the quickest or easiest route home, it seems. This would suggest Damien had no plans to return straight home. I guess it's a question of whose account is more believable, the Weatherman's account of him being seen on Bars Hill or Shirley Barrett's alleged report of Damien on Baring Road. Perhaps could be correct, perhaps Damien was 'roughed up' on Bars Hill, then found later on Baring Road? Perhaps Damien didn't listen to the 'warning' and wasn't going to be afforded another?

I've just watched the CCTV of Yorkie's Chip Shop again. At 1:46, an elderly man walks in, almost directly after Damien, then walks out again, almost immediately. The chances are he just saw how busy the shop was and walked out again, not wanting to wait. But, the police haven't interviewed him, as far as I know. He and another man, a tall man, were the only people not to purchase anything in the footage.

At 2:16 in the YouTube video, towards the bottom of the text is where bullyingi is mentioned.
Ah, thanks, I see where it is now. Totally missed that. Slightly frustrating that in the documentary neither of the Boon brothers were asked about Damien being bullied. If it was only the red text in that video, I would be more open to it just being a suggestion from the creator of that video, but seeing as the lyric of the song actually mentions it, makes me think there's truth to it. The singer was a school friend of Damien's.

The direction in which Damien was walking, when he was last seen was not the quickest or easiest route home, it seems. This would suggest Damien had no plans to return straight home. I guess it's a question of whose account is more believable, the Weatherman's account of him being seen on Bars Hill or Shirley Barrett's alleged report of Damien on Baring Road. Perhaps could be correct, perhaps Damien was 'roughed up' on Bars Hill, then found later on Baring Road? Perhaps Damien didn't listen to the 'warning' and wasn't going to be afforded another?
The direction Damien walked does suggest he's heading a 'long way' round to home, or away from home. Why? I'm going to see if I can find the location of Nicky Mac's drug house and see where that is in relation to his other locations that night. I'll place it on the map I made. I seem to remember the name of the road was mentioned in the documentary.

The address that Chris Boon said him and Damien would go to in order to score drugs was 18 Fellows Road, Cowes. I have added the location to the map I made of locations that are important in this case. It is quite far South of Cowes High Street, so it doesn't look like Damien was headed there when he disappeared.
Link to map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J_BJbMjrSCOB5ZIe5O9aP-VKewU&usp=sharing

(Note: The house Nicky Mac died in in 2003 was on Prospect Road: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.697723,-1.290254&spn=0.000381,0.001302&t=k&z=20
Prospect Road is actually in Newport, not in Cowes.)

Also: https://drugskill.wordpress.com/2002/09/21/nick-macnamara/

Some very interesting info in the comments section here from people who claim to be NM's family/friends. Particularly the comment by 'simone smith' who says she's the mother to NM's children. The comment reads:
[FONT=&quot]I am the proud mother of Nick&#8217;s childrenI I saw Nick the day before he died,(he died on ths saturday but was not &#8220;found&#8221;until monday),he looked really well and told me he&#8217;d been clean for a while.He was,however,worried about money he owed and told me it was a serious situation,he had heavy people on his back.His was not the first body to come from that house.I hated what heroin did to a man i once loved,and remained close to,until the day he died.We all know who sells that soul destroying ****,yet they still walk around free.They may argue it&#8217;s freedom of choice,but i believe if you sell some one something illegal ,and it kills them,it&#8217;s murder.They make money from peoples misery,and damn the consequenses.Time to come down hard on these inhuman waste,and get some closure for families that are left behind,angry,frustrated,and little, if any faith left in the people paid to protect and serve.
[/FONT]

If this is true, it would perhaps explain why NM was possibly so angered by even a small amount of debt owed to him by Damien. We know that Damien had no funds that night, so perhaps NM found him and asked for the money, and when Damien said he had none, NM in his intoxicated/high state lost his temper.

(Note: The house Nicky Mac died in in 2003 was on Prospect Road
Prospect Road is actually in Newport

Newport is also one of the rumoured burial sites of Damien. I read a theory that Damien was buried on top of another grave in Newport Cemetery. I'll try and find the source.

Newport is also one of the rumoured burial sites of Damien. I read a theory that Damien was buried on top of another grave in Newport Cemetery. I'll try and find the source.

This is not the source of that assertion, but it is referenced by Damian's sister in this link.
http://iwradio.co.uk/2012/04/06/damien-nettles-sister-slams-police/
&#8220;I am angry at the way that this has been handled (yet again!). The Police dismissed this story about the bones as soon as they heard it, stating that the rumor that Damien was buried on top of another grave was ruled out several years ago. Well the story that Damien was buried on top of another grave was regarding a Newport graveyard, and this is Cowes.

Hey all,

I'm a member of the Damien Nettles group over on Facebook and am a documentary film-maker. Been researching this case for quite some time now.

There is a hell of a lot more to this case than is included in the official timeline of events for that night, that you'll read online.

I think the general consensus, and also my personal opinion (from quite a lot of experience) is that Damien was not on drugs that night and in the CCTV footage. In the footage you can see that he's quite drunk, but not on drugs. Certainly not on LSD like someone mentioned here. That's not the behaviour of someone on LSD, further, and with the exception of marijuana, ordering and eating food is the last thing on your mind while under the influence of drugs. They are hunger suppressants. Alcohol on the other hand.....

Also, another point, there's too much evidence to indicate he went into the sea. It's generally accepted that he didn't go anywhere near the sea that night.

Finally the 5 individuals arrested in 2011 (it was actually 7), are different to those men in the chip shop. The men in the chip shop were all military.

Thanks everyone, nice to meet you all. Great community you have here.

What evidence suggests Damien went in to the see and what do you know what can't be found online? If you could suggest to us here (being careful not to make accusations).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back