GUILTY MI - Ferndale woman jailed for not vaccinating son

Michigan judge's patience tested as attorney attempts to qualify anti-vax doctor as expert
Judge Karen McDonalds to attorney: 'I can't do your job for you'

PONTIAC, Mich. - Two cases are before Michigan judges, hearing testimony from divorced parents regarding their rights to decide if their child should be vaccinated.

Rebecca Bredow and her former husband James Horne were in court Wednesday. Bredow spent nearly a week in jail for refusing a judge’s order to vaccinate her 9-year-old son and lost primary custody.

Today, Lori Ann Matheson was in court with her former husband Ross Richard for a similar hearing. Matheson has religious objections to vaccinations and does not want their*2-year-old daughter vaccinated.*

The judge heard testimony last week and was forced to stop the mother from testifying about expert medical needs. The case continued Wednesday with testimony derailing from the focus of custody.

Matheson’s attorney called a surprise “expert” witness to the stand, giving only 24 hours of notice...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...attempts-to-qualify-anti-vax-doctor-as-expert

Judge: Expert witness no expert in vaccines

Another case of divorced parents who will have the courts decide if their child will be vaccinated was adjourned Thursday after a judge ruled that an expert witness called to testify doesn’t qualify as an expert in immunizations or their possible adverse effects.

Oakland Circuit Judge Karen McDonald, who sent an Oakland County mother to jail last week because she didn’t comply with her order to have her son vaccinated, is hearing a similar case involving Lori Ann Matheson and her ex-husband, Michael Schmitt. Matheson, of Walled Lake, objects to vaccinations on religious and medical grounds, and wants time to have their 2-year-old daughter undergo genetic testing to determine if she has a medical condition that could be triggered by being vaccinated...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20171012/judge-expert-witness-no-expert-in-vaccines

I was a hold out for the chicken pox vaccine when introduced. I refused time and time again. I was harrassed by my children's pediatrician and his Staf. I held out until it became law. I knew what Chicken pox could do. I wasn't so sure about the New vaccine. The same goes for the hpv vaccine. I have refused that as well. I agree some vaccines are needed, but I'm uncomfortable with blind compliance when it comes to the health of your children. I refuse all canine shots for my dogs as well. They do get mandatory rabies shots, but that is all.
I feel for this mom. I can't say vaccines were connected to autism. I can't say they are not. Scientists change their minds way more often than I am comfortable with regarding what's healthy and what is not.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Many times I wish that chicken pox vaccine existed before I contracted it during my sophomore year in high school, around 1982. I was very sick for a few weeks and developed some complications from having it.

I will say I am pro-vaccine, and if I had children, would make sure they all had their vaccines like I did.

Back in my day (1970's, early 1980's), a kid could not attend school without proof of being vaccinated.

Many times I wish that chicken pox vaccine existed before I contracted it during my sophomore year in high school, around 1982. I was very sick for a few weeks and developed some complications from having it.

I will say I am pro-vaccine, and if I had children, would make sure they all had their vaccines like I did.

Back in my day (1970's, early 1980's), a kid could not attend school without proof of being vaccinated.

I'm confused by your statement about chicken pox vaccine not being available in 1982. My daughter was born in 1973 and was vaccinated for chicken pox. The vaccine was definitely available prior to 1982.

Most states require all public school children to be vaccinated unless parents have religious opposition and request exemption. There have been a few states that did not have the vaccination requirement (California), but I think all states currently require vaccinations prior to school admission. Many parents who choose not to vaccinate their children send them to private or parochial schools where vaccinations are not a requirement for admission.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

^ Parents who homeschool their children are also likely to oppose mandatory vaccinations for their children. Homeschooling provides another option to public school education when parents have religious, medical, or ethical reservations about childhood vaccinations.

I'm confused by your statement about chicken pox vaccine not being available in 1982. My daughter was born in 1973 and was vaccinated for chicken pox. The vaccine was definitely available prior to 1982.

Most states require all public school children to be vaccinated unless parents have religious opposition and request exemption. There have been a few states that did not have the vaccination requirement (California), but I think all states currently require vaccinations prior to school admission. Many parents who choose not to vaccinate their children send them to private or parochial schools where vaccinations are not a requirement for admission.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

1982 sounds a bit early - the CDC states it's been available since 1995.

Unless you're talking about an earlier, experimental one I am not familiar with.

1982 sounds a bit early - the CDC states it's been available since 1995.

Unless you're talking about an earlier, experimental one I am not familiar with.

Now I'm really :confused: DD graduated college in 1995. Except for Tetanus shot prior to a summer arts camp in 1989, all her childhood vaccinations were complete. Last visit to pediatrician was summer before high school when shots were completed. She never had chicken pox, and no one we knew of had chicken pox in nursery, elementary, middle, or high school (or college, for that matter). My apologies if I assumed she'd been vaccinated for chicken pox. Sorry you had to endure it in your teens. Both my brothers and I had it one right after the other, but my two sisters (one now deceased) never had chicken pox.

Understandable that you would feel this way since you had such a bad experience. But I also had chicken pox, as did my brother, cousins, friends, etc. And aside from the early fever then mad itching, we all recovered 100 percent. Maybe only the infirm needs them, like the flu shot. My point was that maybe there are some vaccines a parent should be allowed to delay, or perhaps question these super combination shots. Hey, they put Fluoride in my water (In New York), for my own good which I choose not to drink. And it tastes like crap. Some decisions are going to be mine. Also I'd like to see the stats on these vaccines, not BE the stats...

Ferndale mother jailed for refusing to vaccinate son begins new fight to stop vaccines
Rebecca Bredow lost custody of 9-year-old son after refusing to vaccinate him

FERNDALE, Mich. - A Ferndale mother spent nearly a week in jail this month after a judge said she refused an order to vaccinate her 9-year-old son.

Now she's*hoping to fight another battle in court.

Rebecca Bredow said two things happened while she was in jail: her son was given two vaccinations and she lost primary custody of him. Now she has a new lawyer and she's fighting to get primary custody back and stop further vaccinations...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ccinate-son-begins-new-fight-to-stop-vaccines

My mom would gladly have an injured arm over her post polio syndrome. I have no idea how a vaccine caused an injured arm, but I will take you at your word. Still, the benefits to vaccines outweigh any possible negatives by such a wide margin that I will judge anyone who does not vaccinate their child unless that child is imunosuppressed or has had a life threatening reaction to an earlier vaccine.

This woman should be in jail and not just for defying the court order. Parents who do not vaccinate their children are potential murderers and their unvaccinated children are the weapons. My mother had aggressive breast cancer 13 years ago. Surgery, chemo, and radiation saved her life. An unvaccinated child who has been exposed to any of the illnesses/diseases vaccines protect them from who comes in contact with my mother will probably kill her. Tonight I sit in the hospital while my mother recovers from Ovarian cancer surgery preceded by three rounds of chemo. You don't get more at risk from unvaccinated kids than that. I will agree that anyone's unvaccinated child can visit with my mother after, and only after, that parent agrees to expose their unvaccinated child to all illnesses/diseases preventable by vaccination. 6 months after exposure, if said child is still alive, that child may visit my mom. Who wants to go first?

AUTISM IS NOT CAUSED BY VACCINES!! This lie has got to stop. They are not made from dead babies. They are not full of poison and lead and whatever else anyone can think up. GET YOUR CHILDREN VACCINATED!

As far as I am concerned vaccinations are not choices. They are public health basics. End of story. End of rant.

Exactly

My mom would gladly have an injured arm over her post polio syndrome. I have no idea how a vaccine caused an injured arm, but I will take you at your word. Still, the benefits to vaccines outweigh any possible negatives by such a wide margin that I will judge anyone who does not vaccinate their child unless that child is imunosuppressed or has had a life threatening reaction to an earlier vaccine.

This woman should be in jail and not just for defying the court order. Parents who do not vaccinate their children are potential murderers and their unvaccinated children are the weapons. My mother had aggressive breast cancer 13 years ago. Surgery, chemo, and radiation saved her life. An unvaccinated child who has been exposed to any of the illnesses/diseases vaccines protect them from who comes in contact with my mother will probably kill her. Tonight I sit in the hospital while my mother recovers from Ovarian cancer surgery preceded by three rounds of chemo. You don't get more at risk from unvaccinated kids than that. I will agree that anyone's unvaccinated child can visit with my mother after, and only after, that parent agrees to expose their unvaccinated child to all illnesses/diseases preventable by vaccination. 6 months after exposure, if said child is still alive, that child may visit my mom. Who wants to go first?

AUTISM IS NOT CAUSED BY VACCINES!! This lie has got to stop. They are not made from dead babies. They are not full of poison and lead and whatever else anyone can think up. GET YOUR CHILDREN VACCINATED!

As far as I am concerned vaccinations are not choices. They are public health basics. End of story. End of rant.

100% agree, not vaccinating children is akin to child abuse. With the science and facts that we have right now it is unheard of for parents to have such big egos to believe that they and Jenny McCarthy know better than virtually every scientist in the world. Not to mention the complete disregard to the factt that any idea of a connect between autism and vaccines has been discredited.

If a child was allowed in a school unvaccinated that my son was in, I would create the biggest storm possible to have that kid removed or be given proper medical care

BBM

Mary, just wanted to commiserate! I had chicken pox at the age of 15/16 in the 80's as well. It started with fever and vomiting and then I developed "pox" in EVERY possible mucous membrane (if you get what I'm saying :laughing:). The doctor "prescribed" calamine lotion---apparently that was still cutting-edge science at the time, LOL

I was a hold out for the chicken pox vaccine when introduced. I refused time and time again. I was harrassed by my children's pediatrician and his Staf. I held out until it became law. I knew what Chicken pox could do. I wasn't so sure about the New vaccine. The same goes for the hpv vaccine. I have refused that as well. I agree some vaccines are needed, but I'm uncomfortable with blind compliance when it comes to the health of your children. I refuse all canine shots for my dogs as well. They do get mandatory rabies shots, but that is all.
I feel for this mom. I can't say vaccines were connected to autism. I can't say they are not. Scientists change their minds way more often than I am comfortable with regarding what's healthy and what is not.

I agree and I do not blindly trust the pharmaceutical companies to be looking out my health and my children's health. They have taken out so many of the ingredients over the years. From what I have read, it seems, generally speaking that they are looking out for their bank accounts to get bigger and bigger.

What other countries mandate childhood vaccines? I guess I could google, lol. I just saw upthread that the UK doesn't. Interesting.

Chickenpox went thru my kids school. Lot of kids got it. Everyone I knew vaccinated, so I was curious when many got it. Maybe the vaccine doesn't always work?

If you're worried about unvaccinated kids here, I'd worried about traveling and being in airports.

Hell to the no on the 5 in 1 type of vaccines. If my child does have a reaction, how am I supposed to know and report which one it was? We did a delayed schedule that our ped recommended and never did the 5 in 1 type. We also recorded directly onto the vaccination chart the lot #, etc in case there was a reaction. That way we could report it.

The different vaccine schedules from country to country is very interesting.

Rebecca was the primary custody parent and Michigan is a state where you can be exempt? If that is the case, that is very unsettling.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73971_4911_4914_68361-344843--,00.html
Immunization Waiver Information
In December, 2014, the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules approved a new educational requirement for Michigan parents opting their children out of getting vaccinated before entering school.

The new rule allows parents/guardians to have the opportunity to speak with a health educator from their local health department about their concerns and questions regarding immunizations prior to the nonmedical waiver being signed.

Any parent/guardian who wants to claim a nonmedical waiver will need to receive education regarding the benefits of vaccination and the risks of disease from a county health department before obtaining the certified nonmedical waiver form through the Local Health Department. The new rule requires the use of the State of Michigan nonmedical waiver form dated January 1, 2017.

Is everyone here (in this thread) up to date on their vaccines and boosters? I don't remember doctors asking me about anything other than tetanus and the flu shot as an adult.

Is everyone here (in this thread) up to date on their vaccines and boosters? I don't remember doctors asking me about anything other than tetanus and the flu shot as an adult.

Yes, I am. Although I'm too young for the shingles vaccine, dammit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back