GUILTY NY - Joseph Comunale, 26, Manhattan, 12 Nov 2016 - #3

Larry is looking a little worse for wear at yesterday's hearing.

I just heard of this case recently and have spent the last few days reading through the three relevant threads. A lot of the information is very fresh in my mind, but it's a significant amount of information to absorb so quickly. Since last night, I've been considering the facts and statements released thus far, so I don't have any links on hand from throughout the threads in this specific post, but will gladly do my best to find them if anyone would like them.

I now have a few questions:

1. Has the autopsy been released revealing the full extent of Joey Comunale's injuries or is that part of the documents under protective order from the prosecution? Regarding motive for the crime, there are a few theories proposed here, but I think some of the more horrific ones could be ruled out based on potential lack of specific injuries and then, thankfully, not mentioned again.

2. One thing I've wondered from the beginning and barely seen mentioned is James Rackover's dog which is supposed to have been in the apartment at least before 10am on the day of the murder. By all accounts this is a very violent murder, and even if the dog's owner is allegedly the one inflicting the violence I find it hard to imagine the dog not also being in an absolute frenzy at that time, barking up a storm or biting anyone. Yet no discussion of loud or unusual noises heard by the other tenants/residents of the building has been mentioned, although admittedly that may be in statements currently withheld by the prosecution. I would assume in such a luxury building, a dog that barks often wouldn't be allowed to stay long, and as for myself, I always notice when a neighbor's normally well-behaved dog is acting loudly and/or out of character.

3. Speaking of the noise involved with such a violent murder, I'm confused on another point. Larry Dilione is claiming his first (And perhaps only? The defendants' stories change faster than a game of musical chairs IMO.) punch at the victim knocked him unconscious, which in theory would account for the lack of shouting or screams from Joey Comunale. But I recall reading in the first thread (My google fu is not the best but if anyone would like me to hunt up this specific link I will do my best.) there was a brief mention of defensive wounds on the victim's hands. So, heartbreakingly, it would appear he was not unconscious during the entire attack. Again, full knowledge of his injuries would be useful to indicate if the victim had been gagged.

4. Do we have any information on when Joey Comunale moved into his townhouse? There was a quote from his father early on in the investigation that he had purchased the townhouse for his son. Something to the effect Joey's mother was waiting up for him often worrying and so a separate residence was provided for their son. (Again, if anyone would like me to find this link, I will do my best.) The waiting up worrying may support the prevailing theory of Joey being a recovering cocaine addict, which is why his lack of contact to his family and friends prompted such quick action in his disappearance.

Another possibility is general mental health issues. If he was known to suffer depression, suicidal tendencies, or mania, an all night cocaine binge could bring on a manic episode or indicate one was beginning. He certainly had a lot of people in his life who cared deeply for him, though they may not all have known his private struggles. That's the full extent of any speculation I'm willing to post at this time.

5. Regarding TOS and not sleuthing victims: does a civil suit claiming culpability on an individual previously considered a victim change their status, or is their status only changed when proclaimed by law enforcement as person of interest/suspect? I'd really appreciate some clarity on that point.

I am very interested to hear the case from the prosecution to bring justice to the senseless tragedy that befell this young man. My heart and prayers are with his loved ones.

I just heard of this case recently and have spent the last few days reading through the three relevant threads. A lot of the information is very fresh in my mind, but it's a significant amount of information to absorb so quickly. Since last night, I've been considering the facts and statements released thus far, so I don't have any links on hand from throughout the threads in this specific post, but will gladly do my best to find them if anyone would like them.

I now have a few questions:

1. Has the autopsy been released revealing the full extent of Joey Comunale's injuries or is that part of the documents under protective order from the prosecution? Regarding motive for the crime, there are a few theories proposed here, but I think some of the more horrific ones could be ruled out based on potential lack of specific injuries and then, thankfully, not mentioned again.

2. One thing I've wondered from the beginning and barely seen mentioned is James Rackover's dog which is supposed to have been in the apartment at least before 10am on the day of the murder. By all accounts this is a very violent murder, and even if the dog's owner is allegedly the one inflicting the violence I find it hard to imagine the dog not also being in an absolute frenzy at that time, barking up a storm or biting anyone. Yet no discussion of loud or unusual noises heard by the other tenants/residents of the building has been mentioned, although admittedly that may be in statements currently withheld by the prosecution. I would assume in such a luxury building, a dog that barks often wouldn't be allowed to stay long, and as for myself, I always notice when a neighbor's normally well-behaved dog is acting loudly and/or out of character.

3. Speaking of the noise involved with such a violent murder, I'm confused on another point. Larry Dilione is claiming his first (And perhaps only? The defendants' stories change faster than a game of musical chairs IMO.) punch at the victim knocked him unconscious, which in theory would account for the lack of shouting or screams from Joey Comunale. But I recall reading in the first thread (My google fu is not the best but if anyone would like me to hunt up this specific link I will do my best.) there was a brief mention of defensive wounds on the victim's hands. So, heartbreakingly, it would appear he was not unconscious during the entire attack. Again, full knowledge of his injuries would be useful to indicate if the victim had been gagged.

4. Do we have any information on when Joey Comunale moved into his townhouse? There was a quote from his father early on in the investigation that he had purchased the townhouse for his son. Something to the effect Joey's mother was waiting up for him often worrying and so a separate residence was provided for their son. (Again, if anyone would like me to find this link, I will do my best.) The waiting up worrying may support the prevailing theory of Joey being a recovering cocaine addict, which is why his lack of contact to his family and friends prompted such quick action in his disappearance.

Another possibility is general mental health issues. If he was known to suffer depression, suicidal tendencies, or mania, an all night cocaine binge could bring on a manic episode or indicate one was beginning. He certainly had a lot of people in his life who cared deeply for him, though they may not all have known his private struggles. That's the full extent of any speculation I'm willing to post at this time.

5. Regarding TOS and not sleuthing victims: does a civil suit claiming culpability on an individual previously considered a victim change their status, or is their status only changed when proclaimed by law enforcement as person of interest/suspect? I'd really appreciate some clarity on that point.

I am very interested to hear the case from the prosecution to bring justice to the senseless tragedy that befell this young man. My heart and prayers are with his loved ones.

One comment on your questions, specifically number 2....early on it was mentioned that Jeffrey Rackover came to James's door that morning and took the dog either for a walk or back up to his unit. I'd have to dig for a link. I don't have answers on any of your other questions.
ETA: found the link in the very first post: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/...ody-is-found-in-new-jersey.html?_r=0&referer=

Also, it's possible they put the dog into another room to keep it quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One comment on your questions, specifically number 2....early on it was mentioned that Jeffrey Rackover came to James's door that morning and took the dog either for a walk or back up to his unit. I'd have to dig for a link. I don't have answers on any of your other questions.
ETA: found the link in the very first post: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/...ody-is-found-in-new-jersey.html?_r=0&referer=

Also, it's possible they put the dog into another room to keep it quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the response.

IIRC Bo Dietl's statement was that Jeffrey Rackover went the apartment to walk the dog sometime between 10am-10:30am.

Max Gemma's current statement at one of his court dates is that Max was out of James's apartment sometime between 8:30am-9am. It was actually a specific time, perhaps 8:42am? I need to review that post as well. IMO Max Gemma is entirely untrustworthy, however there are three things in his statement I'm willing to currently accept as fact until proven otherwise:

1. Max Gemma was in the apartment when attack began.

2. He was at the very least aware of the attack.

3. He was out of the apartment between 8:30am-9am. IMO I don't believe his attorney would couch such a statement without some kind of proof of that time, ie, uber request to PATH or the surveillance in the Grand Sutton or around the PATH.

All this leads me to believe that the initial attack occurred before Jeffrey Rackover came to pick up the dog. You suggested the dog shut in the bedroom; I think that's plausible especially with the drugs around the apartment. A lot of people protect their pets from getting at drugs this way.

However, I still think the dog would hear the altercation and smell a significant amount of human blood. IMO an animal would react to this in some way, but it's possible I'm reading too much into it.

Here's a link to article with the next date. Momoffour didn't have a link, so I thought I'd provide one.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...harged-in-Stamford-man-s-killing-12253544.php

The defendants are scheduled to return to court on Dec. 6 when Burke could decide if the cases will be tried separately.

dubiously!! :welcome6: to this thread!

Great questions.
I believe they have Max on a PATH camera at that time - 8:42am. But if that's wrong - someone will correct me! :)

Jeffrey Rackover Cout Date, October 18:

Jeffrey Rackover’s lawyer says his client wasn’t involved in Joseph Comunale’s death. His lawyer, John Rosenberg, told a Manhattan federal judge the victim’s father, Patsy Comunale, was "grasping at straws" with the lawsuit. Rosenberg said his client learned of the crime when news of the bloodshed came out the next day.

Comunale's suit claimed Jeffrey and James were actually lovers for a time who had lived together — with James getting luxury living and Jeffrey getting sexual pleasure.

The civil suit argues Rackover, 57, violated his right to bury his child when the 26-year-old Hofstra grad was killed in 2016. The suit also claims intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Manhattan Federal Judge Lorna Schofield told lawyers for both sides she would make a decision in the next 10 days on whether she'd keep the case, or have it sent back to Manhattan Supreme Court.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/jeffrey-rackover-comunale-death-lawyer-article-1.3572291

I don'r see this posted. Its dated 11/10/17. Details are horrible.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/communale.pdf
The lawsuit states that Comunale lent his mobile to an unnamed friend that he went to the Gilded Lilly with that night and the unnamed friend left without returning the mobile to Comunale.

With that in mind: How the heck did Mr Comunale track his son's location?

Did he have some type of tracking device on his son?
Or,
Was there a prior relationship/friendship/supplier-customer situation between Comunale & Rackover which Mr Comunale was aware of?

Did the unnamed friend forget to return the mobile before leaving or did Comunale need his mobile to be in Connecticut although he was not?

The lawsuit states that Comunale lent his mobile to an unnamed friend that he went to the Gilded Lilly with that night and the unnamed friend left without returning the mobile to Comunale.

With that in mind: How the heck did Mr Comunale track his son's location?

Did he have some type of tracking device on his son?
Or,
Was there a prior relationship/friendship/supplier-customer situation between Comunale & Rackover which Mr Comunale was aware of?

Did the unnamed friend forget to return the mobile before leaving or did Comunale need his mobile to be in Connecticut although he was not?

BBM

Item #47 states that through social media and speaking with Joey's friends, Patsy found out that Joey left the Gilded Lily with LD.

Any motive? I don't believe the cigarettes were the real motive.

This is what I’m most interested in as well. Also thought it was weird rackover told the other two to take off their clothes to clean up the blood? I feel like that’s an excuse for something else.

and :bump: up for today's hearing:

Wednesday, December 6th:
*Motions Hearing for Separate trials - NY - Joey Comunale (26) - (Nov. 13, 2016) - James Rackover (26) & Lawrence Dilione (28) accused/indicted on 2nd degree murder & for the alleged strangling, stabbing and dismemberment & Max Gemma (29) accused of allegedly helping clean up after the fact. 10/5 Update: The defendants are scheduled to return to court on Dec. 6 when Burke could decide if the cases will be tried separately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back