Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is infuriating to think that those children were put in a position to have to endure that. It is just beyond belief to me why anyone would take his pregnant wife and go to an area controlled by the Taliban.

I'm struck by the staging of the interview.

The Boyles obviously are crafting their message and ABC went all in. Clearly the setting was chosen for effect, but ABC provides no context. It takes away from the credibility of ABC and Brian Ross's reporting, in my opinion. It's unprofessional. It's entertainment, not news.

All relevant followup questions are avoided because the Boyles don't wish to discuss certain topics. But the video doesn't make that clear. It is only reported in the online article.

The photo of Caitlan and the children accompanying ABC's online article is in a well lit, furnished, carpeted place. Looks like a waiting room or office. Caitlan has on a different skirt or dress than in the interview. But again, no specifics are provided on where and when it was taken, let alone why the interview was conducted in such a self-serving environment.

BBM

I saw the photos, and I just watched the video.
IMO it looks like they are in an apartment. I don't know if they in Ottawa or in the small town where his parents live about 1hr outside the city.

But they have spent time in the city of Ottawa as stated in The Star article during her 1st interview

In first interview she is seated on a park bench at CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario which is in Ottawa) and is part of a larger medical/hospital complex

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ficial-account-of-her-rescue-in-pakistan.html

"Coleman spoke to the Star Monday alone on the grounds of Ottawa’s Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, as her husband cared for their sons, who are 4 and 2.
All three of her children, including her months-old daughter, who slept in her lap for part of the interview, have been undergoing tests at the hospital and still adapting to a life free from captivity, which includes trips to a playground on the property. Coleman was also receiving medical attention but said she had been recovering."

Someone please figure out a way to take these kids away. This is horrifying.

The long, less-edited video interview with Brian Ross is the one I found appalling. The edited version on ABC is much more normalized and has less revealations. I have tried to find the link to the full version of the interview, which is stark, dimly lit, and recreates an atmosphere of captivity. Real life has gotten in the way and I haven't located it yet. I believe others saw it and commented on it as well. Maybe someone else can post the link. It is not the one up on ABC now with pizza and playground shots interspersed with interviews.

The long, less-edited video interview with Brian Ross is the one I found appalling. The edited version on ABC is much more normalized and has less revealations. I have tried to find the link to the full version of the interview, which is stark, dimly lit, and recreates an atmosphere of captivity. Real life has gotten in the way and I haven't located it yet. I believe others saw it and commented on it as well. Maybe someone else can post the link. It is not the one up on ABC now with pizza and playground shots interspersed with interviews.

I think this is the version you mean...it’s about 13 minutes long. And yes, it is appalling IMO. We did discuss various parts of it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...stage-mom-describes-brutal-treatment-51268834

ETA: Watching this again, I’m struck again by the fact that they felt it was necessary to teach their older boy that these are bad people who could behead his family. There is no way he would know about beheading unless they told him. And then they teach him a game of pretending to be Oliver Cromwell trying to behead the king, so he wouldn’t be afraid. If you didn’t tell him this stuff to begin with, he wouldn’t be as fearful. Yes, it would be frightening to be beaten and seen your mother “defiled” but don’t add to it! Comfort the child and reassure him as best you can.

JB claims the Haqqani thought he could be useful to them because he had a negative view of what the U.S. was doing. But he refused to cooperate. How could they have known his views before they were kidnapped. It’s not like he was famous. Weren’t they just a random couple of tourists who were kidnapped. Or were they? Did they make contact with these people and it backfired?

Looking at the longer video article with Brian Ross again, I notice 2 things.
HostageUS is mentioned as supporting the family. The HostageUS.org website appears to have excellent information and guides for families and for hostages both during and after release.
Upthread there is discussion about the difference in this video and the other reporting. The video with Brian Ross was filmed by Sean Langan, a British filmmaker and ABC contributor who was held hostage by the Taliban Haqqani Network in 2008. He has produced a new documentary USA vs Bergdahl.

Thanks everyone for the updates.
Somehow I don't think the best interests of those children are in this couple's minds.
They should be removed and placed in a secure environment.
:moo:

PM Trudeau met with freed hostage Joshua Boyle and his family

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pm-tr...hostage-joshua-boyle-and-his-family-1.3728756. Tuesday December 19, 2017

A Twitter account named "The Boyle Family" posted photos Tuesday of Joshua Boyle, his wife, Caitlan Coleman and their three children inside what appears to be the prime minister’s Parliament Hill office in Centre Block.

While it was the kids’ first time inside Parliament, Boyle said he and his wife "have been in Parliament many times... in various ways."

PM Trudeau met with freed hostage Joshua Boyle and his family

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pm-tr...hostage-joshua-boyle-and-his-family-1.3728756. Tuesday December 19, 2017

A Twitter account named "The Boyle Family" posted photos Tuesday of Joshua Boyle, his wife, Caitlan Coleman and their three children inside what appears to be the prime minister’s Parliament Hill office in Centre Block.

While it was the kids’ first time inside Parliament, Boyle said he and his wife "have been in Parliament many times... in various ways."

Boyle is sketchy and frankly the Canadian government needs to keep a close eye on him. I’m uncomfortable with the Boyle family sitting in the PMs house and taking press pics. Especially considering Caitlan, a Christian from Pennsylvania, is still covering herself. She has been in Canada for what, months now? I can’t understand how she can consider herself a part of a religion/culture that supposedly killed her child, and raped her in front of her other children.

On another note, josh Boyle makes my skin crawl. I’m still very glad he’s not in the US. We have enough issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that the Twitter account name is The Boyle Family but the username is @BoylesVsWorld.

Interesting that the Twitter account name is The Boyle Family but the username is @BoylesVsWorld.
And their Twitter bio ... "Joshua and Caitlan Boyle; freelance do-gooders, hostages extraordinaire, lovers of fine cheese"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm all for silver linings. I called my children Chromosomally Enhanced and Attitude Enhanced.
However, bragging about your status as a hostage is not normal.

I too noticed the twitter account name and bio :tsktsk:
boasting about being a hostage, like its an achievement.
And him stating that he and his wife have been in Parliament before..".....In Various Ways"
"https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pm-trudeau-met-with-freed-hostage-joshua-boyle-and-his-family-1.3728756

The consultant company, ICEN, that the Boyle grandparents hired and the steps they took to help free Josh and Caitlin.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3892115/joshua-boyle-rescue-covert-operation/ DEC 5, 2017

The Consultant: Ex-intelligence official reveals covert operation to free Boyle family from militants

They were rescued by Pakistani troops acting on U.S. intelligence, but Global News has learned a Toronto-area company headed by a former senior Canadian intelligence official also played a role.

It shows his usual arrogance (the "haha" comment), but imo it's also designed to tease (poss future book in mind, he's no other source of income) and to put Trudeau on the spot. Why the hell Trudeau didn't foresee the PR nightmare of dealing with dodgy Josh is quite beyond many of us.

Does anyone even know what this means?

Nope.
IMO he appears to be a braggart and grandiose type person

Heck, I have been in Parliament before, in various ways...as a student on a school trip, on a self guided tour with visiting family members who wanted to go to the observation deck of the Peace Tower. When I was a teenager we were allowed to park our cars on Parliament Hill and then we would go shopping in the ByWard Market, saved a tons on parking fees and once I was even looking for a bathroom.

It shows his usual arrogance (the "haha" comment), but imo it's also designed to tease (poss future book in mind, he's no other source of income) and to put Trudeau on the spot. Why the hell Trudeau didn't foresee the PR nightmare of dealing with dodgy Josh is quite beyond many of us.

BBM

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/bonokoski-trudeaus-unforgivable-audience-with-joshua-boyle DEC 21, 2017

BONOKOSKI: Trudeau's unforgivable audience with Joshua Boyle

After all, what prime minister in his right mind would meet in his parliamentary office with a man who was once married to Zaynab Khadr, the infamous, jihad-endorsing sister of Guantanamo Bay poster boy and terrorist, Omar Khadr, now a rich former al-Qaeda bombmaker thanks to $10-plus million in taxpayers’ money for Canada not riding to his rescue soon enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff