Matt Lauer fired by NBC, accused of "inappropriate sexual behavior"

You are correct, harassment is against every public company's policies. But I know people who have been harassed at public companies and got nowhere with HR even with pretty solid proof.

So do I, especially in an industry where most of the big players are men, with enough power and networks to make sure that the woman will never been employed in that industry again. Tippy Hedren rejected Alfred Hitchcock's (shudder) advances and he made sure that she never got a major film role again.

You are correct, harassment is against every public company's policies. But I know people who have been harassed at public companies and got nowhere with HR even with pretty solid proof.

I wonder if HR would respond differently if the victim’s attorney was involved & the evidence presented? I sincerely wonder if it would make a difference?

I’m not saying everyone that has been victimized can afford an attorney to represent them nor should they have to, of course.

So do I, especially in an industry where most of the big players are men, with enough power and networks to make sure that the woman will never been employed in that industry again. Tippy Hedren rejected Alfred Hitchcock's (shudder) advances and he made sure that she never got a major film role again.

I have a feeling a lot of boys were also victims of the casting couch. I think it is a lot more than we've heard so far.

I wonder if HR would respond differently if the victim’s attorney was involved & the evidence presented? I sincerely wonder if it would make a difference?

I’m not saying everyone that has been victimized can afford an attorney to represent them nor should they have to, of course.

In one case I am very familiar with, the victim did have to get an attorney and ended up paying about ~$5K in legal fees to keep their job. No they weren't reimbursed even though they "won." And nobody was fired.

True....but it’s a double-edged sword.
If you go along with the sexual advances, you become a “sex slave” of sorts. When does it end? Let’s consider the reputation, rumors, and talk amongst all the colleagues in the office.....the bad reputation can follow one forever. And how about the risks of STD’s too!?

True....but it’s a double-edged sword.
If you go along with the sexual advances, you become a “sex slave” of sorts. When does it end? Let’s consider the reputation, rumors, and talk amongst all the colleagues in the office.....the bad reputation can follow one forever. And how about the risks of STD’s too!?

So, is that the choice for women in some industries? Go along with it and become a sex slave or lose your job in the industry? These women were shuffled off, because of how much advertising revenue he was generating.

So, is that the choice for women in some industries? Go along with it and become a sex slave or lose your job in the industry? These women were shuffled off, because of how much advertising revenue he was generating.

I don’t know but it certainly isn’t right to be put in a situation like that: go along with sexual advances for fear of losing your job while losing your dignity & reputation
Or
Fighting the advances & possibly getting fired

Doesn’t sound like a situation anyone would wish for.

I scanned the thread and didn't see this story yet. Apologies if it was shared and I missed it!

Matt Lauer Is 'Weak and Broken and Ashamed' After Today Show Firing, Friend Says

A week after NBC fired Matt Lauer, the ousted anchor is still reeling.

“He is weak and broken and ashamed by his own admission,” one of Lauer’s former Today show colleagues tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue.

“He is my friend,” the colleague adds. “He is human, and he is flawed. But is he going to use his power to be a predator on women? Until I see solid evidence of that, I just can’t believe it. We don’t know the details.”

Roque's father is saying that she has plans to divorce Lauer

Good! She needs to 86 that louse from her life so she can find love with someone decent, someone who hopefully won't cheat on her. It'll be sad for the 3 kids, but then again, Lauer & his wife were living separate lives anyway.

Someone like him should never be married, IMO.

No one makes me do **anything** that I don’t want to do. That’s just how my momma’ taught me.

Nope. Not for fear of intimidation, retribution, quid pro quo, money, etc

Nope.

And you know what? You can walk proud in your shoes knowing you’ve earned your way & you have self-respect.

And you have peace of mind.

If Someone is slightly creeping you out—let them know right there. Someone is saying something you don’t like—stop them in their tracks. Be honest & be real. Be true & be strong. Value yourself & know your self worth.

This post is so damaging to victims and women in vulnerable positions everywhere. There are so many situations in which it's not as easy as "let them know" or "walk away." This post is putting a lot of blame on victims. It's NOT empowering, it's disheartening.

This post is so damaging to victims and women in vulnerable positions everywhere. There are so many situations in which it's not as easy as "let them know" or "walk away." This post is putting a lot of blame on victims. It's NOT empowering, it's disheartening.[/QUOTE

Then go right ahead and provide your words of empowerment.....feel free

Good! She needs to 86 that louse from her life so she can find love with someone decent, someone who hopefully won't cheat on her. It'll be sad for the 3 kids, but then again, Lauer & his wife were living separate lives anyway.

Someone like him should never be married, IMO.

BBM

I agree 100% - like I said earlier, sounds like he needs a job with his city sanitation department driving a garbage truck - a job away from women.

To add insult to injury - wonder if any woman he ever came in contact with (like maybe his wife) ever gave him a good swift kick to his jewels

And then you get to the medium and small size private companies and in many cases you are dead meat if you report harassment if the person is someone in a position of power. Your career is effectively over.

This post is so damaging to victims and women in vulnerable positions everywhere. There are so many situations in which it's not as easy as "let them know" or "walk away." This post is putting a lot of blame on victims. It's NOT empowering, it's disheartening.[/QUOTE

Then go right ahead and provide your words of empowerment.....feel free

Oh don't worry, I do, when and where it's necessary to do so.

I offer words of encouragement & empowerment. Women need to support each other. It’s really that simple & that’s what we do here at WS.

Saying that this could never happen to you because you are smart enough and strong enough to stand up for yourself and walk away is not supporting women. It's putting yourself above victims as if you are somehow better than they are because it's never happened to YOU. JMO

Saying that this could never happen to you because you are smart enough and strong enough to stand up for yourself and walk away is not supporting women. It's putting yourself above victims as if you are somehow better than they are because it's never happened to YOU. JMO

You’re bordering on a personal attack & you don’t know me. My words of empowerment are for **future events** like when your creepy Matt L boss next week asks you to unbutton your blouse.

Anyone can & should offer their guidance here on WS but I have yet to hear any poster do so. No one should go along with harassment because the end results are soul-stealing & gut wrenching. That’s my own opinion.

Go along with it (the harassment) is some crazy guidance......and sorry, I’m not going to give that.

I'm commenting on the post you made, not you as a person.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back