NC - Irina 'Ira' Yarmolenko, 20, murdered, Mount Holly, 5 May 2008 *previously GUILTY*Charges Dropped*

The Goodwill video didn't seem unusual to me. Just that I got upset knowing it was her last few hours. I did see another man creep into the last seconds on the lower left but her car was already out of range for this man to attempt to hitch a ride.

The only other thing I can think of is her car wasn't locked after she left Goodwill and stopped at a stop light and some freak jumped in the back seat.He could have had a gun to her head and told her way to drive and it was a robbery gone bad.I don't think she necessarily knew the person. This seems random to me but I may be wrong.
I agree CP, nothing unusual.

From all that she took out of the back seat we know no one was sitting back there at that point.

Sadly, the gang stuff is much more prevalent than people would believe - even in nice parts of town. My mom worked for the City of Winston-Salem for a long time and had a meeting just over a year ago about local gang activity; the schools with the highest rates of gang incidents were among the nicest schools in town, not where you'd expect that to be happening at all. I currently teach at a very upscale high school just outside Charlotte, which I'd consider to be one of the least likely places for that kind of stuff, and yet we average three or four gang-related incidents per month. It's scary to see how widespread it's becoming in every suburb and every part of town. I still don't think this was an act of gang violence, but it wouldn't be impossible by any means.

I'm not sure whether it makes me feel better or worse to think that Ira knew her attacker. On one hand, you'd like to think there's not a random murderer in the community, and on the other, you'd hate to think that anyone you know and trust could carry out that kind of violence directed at you.

The Goodwill video didn't seem unusual to me. Just that I got upset knowing it was her last few hours. I did see another man creep into the last seconds on the lower left but her car was already out of range for this man to attempt to hitch a ride.

The only other thing I can think of is her car wasn't locked after she left Goodwill and stopped at a stop light and some freak jumped in the back seat.He could have had a gun to her head and told her way to drive and it was a robbery gone bad.I don't think she necessarily knew the person. This seems random to me but I may be wrong.

You have a good eye concernedperson.
I watched the video and didn't notice that she left with her doors unlocked. I replayed the video and you are right.

I really didn't see anything odd in the video either.
Is there any confirmation of her whereabouts after she left the Goodwill?

Thanks, TG. When I tried it...it only had the little red x and wouldn't pull up for me.

Her car might be equiped so that when she is driving off the doors automatically lock so it is not neccessary for her to physically lock them.

Anyone know exactly what type of car it is?

She was driving a Saturn, not sure of the model year SS.

From that video it was impossible to know if the doors were locked or not. Most cars for the past several years have electronic door locks, we don't know if she choose to hit the door lock option or not. My kids never do, and yet that's the first thing I do after getting in my SUV.

May I ask a question that may have been answered, but I lost track?

Which side of the car was she found? Drivers side, passenger side, or opposite side of the car? After reading about grass area being "mashed" I wasn't confused about where.

Brain dead reading and looking.....I got myself confused! I'm such a dork!!!!

I do wish the police would give a little info about the forensics within the car. Fingerprints on the steering wheel, doors, etc. I'd like to know for sure if she was driving the car and not someone else.

As far as Goodwill donations go, it was literally the last week of school and I have no doubt what was donated was from her year at UNCC. Basically, clean up before having to leave the dorm. Goodwill is not a place where I believe the problems began. I still believe it did at the coffee shop.

Personal..She was murdered by someone she knew.....IMHO

May I ask a question that may have been answered, but I lost track?

Which side of the car was she found? Drivers side, passenger side, or opposite side of the car? After reading about grass area being "mashed" I wasn't confused about where.
Driver's side!

She was driving a Saturn, not sure of the model year SS.

From that video it was impossible to know if the doors were locked or not. Most cars for the past several years have electronic door locks, we don't know if she choose to hit the door lock option or not. My kids never do, and yet that's the first thing I do after getting in my SUV.
Mine lock automatically but I wonder if a Saturn sedan is equipped that way though. I looked over at their website but I'm not finding anything about door locks.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/aura/overview.jsp?evar10=transf_hp_auramhp1

Driver's side!

So back left door was open as well as the driver's side....hmmm....

Is it possible she drove down the hill and hit the tree with the intention of escape? Strangulation happening after the fact because it pissed whoever was in the back seat with her?

I wish that Mt Holly police would give more info. Not all, but something more than has already been released.

Who sits in the back seat of a car when abducting another? Are they sure it was possibly one person and not two? I'm still thinking coffee shop abduction and she knew that person from there.

So back left door was open as well as the driver's side....hmmm....

Is it possible she drove down the hill and hit the tree with the intention of escape? Strangulation happening after the fact because it pissed whoever was in the back seat with her?

I wish that Mt Holly police would give more info. Not all, but something more than has already been released.

Who sits in the back seat of a car when abducting another? Are they sure it was possibly one person and not two? I'm still thinking coffee shop abduction and she knew that person from there.
The perp could sit behind the driver with a weapon to the driver's head or throat, but then why would she have been strangled instead of stabbed or shot? That part doesn't make sense, imo, but neither does giving a ride to a friend and having them sit in the back seat.

The perp could sit behind the driver with a weapon to the driver's head or throat, but then why would she have been strangled instead of stabbed or shot? That part doesn't make sense, imo, but neither does giving a ride to a friend and having them sit in the back seat.

Exactly...so I'm thinking not a friend she knew comfortably, but another she had met through the coffee shop. You know, friendly to chat with, get their coffee, but not "a friend" in the true sense of the word.

A customer who was a regular especially when she worked. I wonder what her schedule was.... School was ending for the year. Was she still going to work there or was she done at least for the summer and planning on leaving Jackson Java?

Exactly...so I'm thinking not a friend she knew comfortably, but another she had met through the coffee shop. You know, friendly to chat with, get their coffee, but not "a friend" in the true sense of the word.

A customer who was a regular especially when she worked. I wonder what her schedule was.... School was ending for the year. Was she still going to work there or was she done at least for the summer and planning on leaving Jackson Java?
I agree this could be an acquaintance, like a customer from her work or someone she'd casually met on campus. She might have thought it was safe to offer them a ride since it was during the daytime. I agree it'd be important to know what her plans were as far as work for the summer if this person had been stalking her in a way to know if this was their last chance ~ in their mind.

It's so very irritating that there is *nothing* else out there to help this young lady or her family. I'm not dissing LE, but come on. There must be more out there so we can help!

This is not a cold case and in fact, she was found not long after her murder! Is there nothing else???

Frustration has set in and I'm not even a family member.... Prayers of strength to them.

Mine lock automatically but I wonder if a Saturn sedan is equipped that way though. I looked over at their website but I'm not finding anything about door locks.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/aura/overview.jsp?evar10=transf_hp_auramhp1
Like I mentioned, I don't know what year/model Saturn she drove. It looked fairly new, so pretty sure it had PDL.

I did check out all the Saturn Models and on every one under "Specs & Features" it says Power Door Locks Standard.

http://autos.msn.com/browse/Saturn.aspx

As far as the doors locking automatically, they do that in my Durango, but only after I have reached a speed of 25 of 35 MPH. If you are in a parking lot you may not hit those speeds so it gives plenty of time for someone to hop in. I know I am halfway up my street before they lock so I always try to lock them as soon as I close the door. That extra few seconds or minutes could mean the difference between someone hopping into my car or not.

Someone mentioned seeing a man in the lower left corner of the Goodwill video. Most of the time at this location there is a supervisor just inside the door and someone working the dropoff area and it is usually a male. Sometimes it is someone with special needs. They are really sweet there.

As far as Jacksons Java, I have been wondering was it someone she met there as well. Kinda gives me the creeps. I admit I was looking around at the men that were in there this morning. I will start to engage the workers when they feel like talking about it. Right now we have only been discussing daily stuff, I think they just don't want to talk about it and I am not going to pry just yet.

As far as the police releasing more, I understand the desire for that, but I have always said if something ever happens to me and they are unable to catch the perp because a reporter or someone got to nosey and information was released that stalled the investigation I was gonna be coming back and haunting some folks. We never really know why LE keeps certain things back.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that there may have been another set of keys to the car?

Just tossing this out, but what if there were and someone got into the car, hid in the backseat? If Irina had locked her car up before entering Jackson Java, she would have had no reason to suspect anyone was within the car.

It would make sense in that whoever abducted her would have had control/threaten her from right behind the drivers seat.

Just thinking....

Hey guys, I found this article that has info I haven't heard before, hopefully the brother is right and they have a lot more info than we know.

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/yarmolenko_20684___article.html/pavel_police.html

Police have evidence that slain UNC Charlotte student Ira Yarmolenko was with a possible suspect when she arrived in Mount Holly on May 5, according to her brother Pavel Yarmolenko.

Pavel Yarmolenko would not discuss details of evidence, such as whether a witness saw his 20-year-old sister with a possible suspect somewhere in Mount Holly.

Pavel Yarmolenko said he isn't certain of the killer's identity, but he thinks the killer is a man, who was a stranger or not very familiar with his sister.

Much more at link above

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998