GA GA - Mary Shotwell Little, 25, Atlanta, 14 Oct 1965

It is a good question whether or not Mary's boss drove by her home first. Surely the people at the bank had been trying to call her home. I'd also like to know what Mary's husband's calling habits were when he was out of town. It was said that Mary was nervous about driving alone and being home alone. She was lonely and a newlywed. You'd think the husband or her would call each other at night before bed to talk. It's odd to me that it didn't happen and that the husband wasn't the first one alerted to Mary not being home that night.

I keep thinking how very suspicious it is that the boss was checking at the mall for Mary the next morning. Usually employers don't get into their employees business like that. She had just not come into work that morning. I would think the boss would assume she had gotten sick and gone to the ER or overslept and was on her way in - which is why she didnt' answer her phone. But instead, the boss was already notifying the police that something was wrong and then goes to the mall himself and finds the car. Why do I feel like the man was a little anxious for police to find that car? Maybe if we knew the full story it would not sound suspicious, but it really is a very odd thing for someone's boss to do.

txsvicki: I agree about the phone call as well, although when I was little in the 1960's my dad would go on business trips and he never called my mom. Perhaps a long distance call back then was considered an extravagance.

I keep thinking how very suspicious it is that the boss was checking at the mall for Mary the next morning. Usually employers don't get into their employees business like that. She had just not come into work that morning. I would think the boss would assume she had gotten sick and gone to the ER or overslept and was on her way in - which is why she didnt' answer her phone. But instead, the boss was already notifying the police that something was wrong and then goes to the mall himself and finds the car. Why do I feel like the man was a little anxious for police to find that car? Maybe if we knew the full story it would not sound suspicious, but it really is a very odd thing for someone's boss to do.

Princess Rose, I agree with your premise - Mary's manager's behavior on the morning and the day of Friday, October 15th was questionable at best. He's identified in some articles as Eugene Rackley and a cursory internet search shows he appears to be still living, though now in another part of Georgia. So far as I know neither he nor any other C&S executive was seriously questioned or considered suspects by law enforcement at the time - that's so telling to me – but those were the rules in 1965, I suppose.

Mary was stalked in the last months of her life by a diabolically clever perpetrator whose threatening behavior escalated until it culminated in her abduction on October 14, 1965. Some say Mary may have been sexually harassed by one of her previous managers at C&S. But C&S Bank had tremendous influence in Atlanta and throughout GA at that time - I feel they could've shut down any investigation that might have been potentially embarrassing to the bank.

Because the perp was clever and resourceful enough to stage a crime scene that was gruesome and macabre, he further taunted law enforcement and Mary's family and friends. Can you imagine the pain the photos of the bloody car and her torn undergarments caused them?

Then this guy went far beyond staging of the scene to cause further pain and degradation - this guy staged an entire play by taking Mary to NC in a second car with a stolen tag, having her seen at the two Esso stations where she signed her name to the gas charge slips (the signature verified by her parents), having her own car (the Mercury Comet) returned to Lenox in broad daylight on Friday within hours of the time he and Mary were sighted at the first gas station in Charlotte - then arranging a second NC sighting at a Raleigh gas station some 10 or 12 hours later that day. Can you imagine the initial hope those sightings (and subsequent anguish of waiting day after day, week after week) caused Mary's loved ones? This guy is or was a sadistic, violent, but dangerously clever perp - he was no junkie or street hustler. And how anyone could look at this complex, carefully executed crime (carried out with military-like precision) and call this a random crime or a “crime of opportunity” is beyond me.

And as most killers do, he arrogantly pushed his luck by repeating the crime with Diane Sheilds. Unlike Mary’s disappearance, with Diane's murder he gave law enforcement a body and a second crime scene. A crime scene he also cruelly staged BTW with Diane's scarf stuffed down her throat and her body dumped in the trunk of her car next to the Betty Crocker Cookbook for newlyweds. There must have been something about Mary and Diane becoming engaged or marrying other men that particularly enraged this perp.

IMO this killer stalked and murdered Diane, just as he stalked, abducted, and likely murdered Mary. The parallels are unmistakable and they all point IMO to someone who knew (and probably worked) with Mary and Diane at C&S bank. Yet there's no evidence that law enforcement ever looked at suspects within the bank even after the SECOND murder, of Diane. In fairness to LE, the word “stalking” and the concept of “sexual harassment” in the work place were virtually unheard of in 1965.

Even though Atlanta PD has reportedly lost all the evidence in Mary's case (including a bloody fingerprint recovered from her Mercury Comet), if they would re-open these cases and use some of the tools available to law enforcement today - such as checking for fiber or DNA evidence on Diane Shield’s body, clothes, and car. And if they would have a criminal profiler develop a detailed profile of this killer based on the ample recorded evidence from the two crimes - they could move this case forward. I believe someone could recognize this perp from a detailed criminal profile. And someone already has suspicions or knowledge - this guy's psychotic behavior didn't start with or end with Mary and Diane. An ex-wife, ex-girlfriend, sister, brother, co-worker - someone suspects, knows, or has gotten a horrifying glimpse of this man's dark side.

But what will it take to motivate LE? The state of Ohio recently brought charges against a man who's accused of murdering his 15 year-old girlfriend in 1963. The state of Georgia within the last few years successfully prosecuted a serial rapist and serial killer without a body or a crime scene. Cases like this are being solved every day.

If you consider what Mary and Diane's families and friends have endured, these last 40 years or so – it's difficult to comprehend. If LE would reopen these cases (though I imagine their official response would be, "These cases remain 'Open'.") or at the very least assign them to a cold case team to review the facts and the evidence with fresh eyes and with the tools available today - it would be an amazing gift to their families and to all of us. Until he's caught, we have no way of knowing if this guy is still out there or not.

Maybe I didn't read all the links thoroughly, but have a few questions. Did the car that twice purchased gas look like Mary's vehicle? Also, have they had handwriting experts to prove that it was Mary's handwriting on the charge receipt instead of her family believing it is? I just keep thinking some scenario of Mary being hit on the nose/face area causing an actuall nosebleed while forcing her into her vehicle. The person could have had blood on his hand when he got it on the driver door handle and on the steering wheel. Big drops of blood could have been smeared as Mary was forced across the seat and onto the passenger window from being pushed over. Her short dress that would have been in fashion could have been scooted up over her girdle and with her head hanging down blood drops could have fell on the undergarments. I'm still trying to figure out the undergarments being left but the hosiery and other clothing being missing, but wonder if all depended on which was taken off first or last or at all.

I haven't had the time to read all of your thoughtful posts yet but I did a search of the SS death index for Margaret Shotwell. There are several in NY and the closest one to SC was for a Margaret in North Carolina who passed away in 2006. She would have been 91 at her time of death.

I haven't had the time to read all of your thoughtful posts yet but I did a search of the SS death index for Margaret Shotwell. There are several in NY and the closest one to SC was for a Margaret in North Carolina who passed away in 2006. She would have been 91 at her time of death.

Gaia, I've been looking for information about Mary's mother. Could you send me the link to her obituary or other information you found.

Thank you,

Ncthom

Maybe I didn't read all the links thoroughly, but have a few questions. Did the car that twice purchased gas look like Mary's vehicle? Also, have they had handwriting experts to prove that it was Mary's handwriting on the charge receipt instead of her family believing it is? I just keep thinking some scenario of Mary being hit on the nose/face area causing an actuall nosebleed while forcing her into her vehicle. The person could have had blood on his hand when he got it on the driver door handle and on the steering wheel. Big drops of blood could have been smeared as Mary was forced across the seat and onto the passenger window from being pushed over. Her short dress that would have been in fashion could have been scooted up over her girdle and with her head hanging down blood drops could have fell on the undergarments. I'm still trying to figure out the undergarments being left but the hosiery and other clothing being missing, but wonder if all depended on which was taken off first or last or at all.

This is my understanding about the cars and it can be quite confusing - it's clear that some writers of the newspaper stories weren't clear about some of the details themselves. On Thursday evening, October 14, Mary's Silver 1965 Mercury Comet was parked on the Lenox Road side of the mall - near where I believe the Rich's department store would have been at the time. One of the articles gives the exact location as Yellow 32 parking zone or something similar to that. Mary's friend, Isla Stark (I think) apparently said goodbye to Mary on the sidewalk or perhaps even in the store at around 8 pm on Friday evening. Her friend Isla saw Mary walk into the parking lot in the direction of her car (it was dark by 8 p.m. on a Thursay evening in October) but she did not watch Mary walk away and did not see Mary reach her car.

The next morning, Friday, October 15th when Mary failed to arrive at work at 8 a.m. - her co-workers, including her manager, began looking for her. They called The Belvedere apartment manager who told them Mary's newspaper was still in front of her door and Mary had not answered his knock - he may have later entered the apartment to confirm she wasn't there, I don't know for sure. Because her friend Isla also worked at C&S, she told her C&S co-workers about Mary's departure from Lenox Mall the previous evening. According to the newspaper account, one of the things Gene Rackley, Mary's manager at the bank did that morning was to call the Lenox Mall security and to ask them to look for her car. Security told him Mary's car was not located anywhere in the mall parking lot and specifically was not in the Yellow 32 Zone. In fact there were almost no cars in the mall lot at that time of morning, the mall didn't even open until 10 a.m. or later - especially the shops on that side of the mall.

This picture of how this part of the Lenox parking looked around that time (Scroll down to the end of the article for the photo) is especially helpful, I think. You can imagine if the mall were closed how easy it would be to spot any car remaining in the parking lot, esepcially if you had the specific zone to be searched.

//http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1102670/posts

At around noon on Friday, Gene Rackley drove himself from the C&S office on Mitchell Street to the Lenox Mall parking lot and spotted Mary's car parked in the spot described by Isla Stark. He looked in through the car window and immediately saw the blood smears and some of the underwear that is described in some articles as folded or rolled neatly on the console between the front seats. Mr. Rackley called police and they found the car was unlocked. The Atlanta Police Department (APD) immediately began to search the car for evidence and put out a missing persons report for Mary.

Because the credit card system was manual and not online in 1965, it was two weeks later when APD was alerted that two charges were made to Mary's gasoline charge account after midnight on Thursday, October 14th (or in the early morning hours of Friday, October 15, 1965) at a Charlotte Esso station (this would have been say around 3 am, some 5 to 6 hours after Mary said goodbye to her friend Isla at Lenox.) A second charge was made to Mary's account some 10 or 12 hours later that same day, Friday, in Raleigh, NC also at an Esso station. When detectives questioned the two Esso gas stations employees, the attendants not only remembered the charges, they gave remarkably similar accounts. The Charlotte gas station attendant said he remember an unshaven man driving a woman who appeared to be injured and seemed to be avoiding eye-contact or hiding her face - the man passed the charge receipt to the woman in the passenger seat of what was described only vaguely as a sedan (if I remember correctly) and the woman signed. Mary's parents and others who knew her confirmed the signature was hers, "Mrs. Roy H. Little, Jr.".

The second gas station attendant at the Raleigh Esso station gave an almost identical account of the driver, the woman who appeared to be injured (she may have had blood on her legs and elsewhere), and a vague description of the car - except the Raleigh attendant said there was a second man, also unshaven, in the back seat of this car (not Mary's car which at the time of this second gas charge had already been located at Lenox and seized by police).

Both gas station attendants also recorded the same tag number on the car - a tag that had been stolen from the Charlotte, NC area days earlier - a dead-end lead for police unfortunately. The practice for gasoline charge purchases at the time was for the merchant to make a manual imprint of the credit card, wirte the tag number on the receipt, write the amount of the charge, and get the signature of the card holder. There was nothing in the process that required a description of the car to be noted - so law enforcement had only the vague description given by both attendants from memory.

Although these details are confusing, mysterious, and subject to interpretation, they are a part of what makes Mary's story so compelling. If she had simply disappeared that night, Mary sadly would probably have been forgotten by the public after all these years as many women are who disappear every day.

In answer to your question, I believe the car in NC was a definitely a different car, a older sedan with stolen plates - not the new silver Mercury Comet (a two-door coupe) owned by Mary and her husband. I've found no detailed description of the NC car - please let me know if you've come across one.

When Mary's car was found at Lenox around mid-day on Friday, October 15th, it had an unaccounted 41 additonal miles on the odometer (calculated from the mileage log Mary and Roy kept), a fine coating of red dust on the exterior (as though the car had been driven on a dirt road), the smeared blood on the interior, along with some dried grass on the seat mixed with the blood. It also contained Mary's previously-discusssed undergarments, the bags of groceries Mary'd bought from the Colonial Grocery the night before, and some typical litter: cigarrettes and cigarette butts (Mary's brand but what a great source of DNA evidence if they could be tested today) and Tab bottles (a soft-drink brand Mary had been known to drink).

Hope that answers your questions about the cars at least.

Thanks. The car getting gas with stolen plates must not have been Mary's new car. These men must have really been deranged to go around so noticeably with a bloody non eye contact woman and being unshaven. The woman could have even been someone who looked similar to her but was a wife or girlfriend and forced to flee and sign the stolen credit card since the clerks/attendants couldn't be sure that the woman was Mary. Why not take the groceries and cigarettes if so desperate and deranged though.

I guess I'm just mystified by the way Mary's boss handled everything. She's late to work and hasn't called in, so he calls her apartment and then calls the apartment manager that same morning. The apartment manager mentions her paper is still there. Ummm...if she were sick (for example with a severe stomach virus) and went to the doctor or hospital, that would not be unusual, but this fellow then takes it further and calls the mall security to have them find her car and when they don't, he then goes there himself to find her car????? Wouldn't it be logical to think Mary might have gone somewhere else AFTER the mall when the mall security said they didn't find it? I could see phoning her apartment manager the next day, but not the morning of. It makes me think Mary's boss was very anxious that her car be found.

I guess I'm just mystified by the way Mary's boss handled everything. She's late to work and hasn't called in, so he calls her apartment and then calls the apartment manager that same morning. The apartment manager mentions her paper is still there. Ummm...if she were sick (for example with a severe stomach virus) and went to the doctor or hospital, that would not be unusual, but this fellow then takes it further and calls the mall security to have them find her car and when they don't, he then goes there himself to find her car????? Wouldn't it be logical to think Mary might have gone somewhere else AFTER the mall when the mall security said they didn't find it? I could see phoning her apartment manager the next day, but not the morning of. It makes me think Mary's boss was very anxious that her car be found.

You make a very interesting observation! I am ashamed of myself for never taking a critical look at the way the boss reacted. I remember thinking that he really went out of his way and wondered what my boss would do if I didn't show up for work. He did react VERY quickly as if he already knew something was wrong.

I wonder how long he was gone when he went to look for her?

Was he still the boss when Diane was murdered?

hi NCMom - sorry for the belated response. Here is the link to the death index just scroll down to Margaret C. Shotwell. I have searched and I cannot find an obituary for her.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

Gaia,
Thank you for the link. This may very well be Mary's mother - the only reservation I have is that there is a record of another Margaret C. Shotwell who was the wife of Henry Shotwell of Guilford County (he's very likely a relative of Mary's father Nathan Shotwell). I think this may be the death record of that Margaret Shotwell.

Most records of Mary's mother show her listed as Margaret P. Shotwell with a different birth date from this Margaret Shotwell. The Social Security record of Margaret C. Shotwell shows a birth date of January 1915. The birth date for Mary's mother shown on other records is July 1916. But as you may know, in genealogical research, dates often get entered incorrectly, so I'm going to continue to look at this.

Thank you for sharing the information.

Gaia,
Thank you for the link. This may very well be Mary's mother - the only reservation I have is that there is a record of another Margaret C. Shotwell who was the wife of Henry Shotwell of Guilford County (he's very likely a relative of Mary's father Nathan Shotwell). I think this may be the death record of that Margaret Shotwell.

Most records of Mary's mother show her listed as Margaret P. Shotwell with a different birth date from this Margaret Shotwell. The Social Security record of Margaret C. Shotwell shows a birth date of January 1915. The birth date for Mary's mother shown on other records is July 1916. But as you may know, in genealogical research, dates often get entered incorrectly, so I'm going to continue to look at this.

Thank you for sharing the information.

No problem - sorry I typed your name wrong! I edited my post and changed it.

Gaia227,

I wanted to let you know that I found out today that Mary Shotwell's mother is still living, although she has advanced dementia and has been in a nursing home for several years. Though I'm disappointed, that I'll never have the chance to talk to her, I suppose, it is a sort of kindness that at her age, 93 years old, she no longer has to live with the pain of Mary's disappearance.

I just wanted to pass that along to you - I'm still working on an article I hope to get published in 2010, the 45th anniversary of Mary's disappearance. And I'm still holding out hope that someone will come forward with new information if we can shine a light on Mary and remind people of her story and that many people still care about her.

The recent abduction of Kristi Cornwell in Georgia and news that the surrounding states are being checked kind of reminded me or Mary. Older men can still be perverted and commit crimes even though it may be very unlikely in this case.

I was born in Atlanta in 1955 and grew up in East Point. I lived there until my 30's and read every article I could find about both Mary Shotwell Little and Diane Shields.

After graduating from high school in 1973 I went to work at C&S Bank on Mitchell Street in Operations. I worked for about 2.5 years on the night shift and got myself scared on several occasions when making copies in a darkened area of the building and imagined smelling the aroma of roses. Both Diane and Mary haunted me.

I have also always felt that there would be too many coincidences for these two murders not be be related even though the police say they were not.

I would love to see both of these crimes solved.

Bumping..

Mary disappeared 44 years ago earlier this month.

I was born in Atlanta in 1955 and grew up in East Point. I lived there until my 30's and read every article I could find about both Mary Shotwell Little and Diane Shields.

After graduating from high school in 1973 I went to work at C&S Bank on Mitchell Street in Operations. I worked for about 2.5 years on the night shift and got myself scared on several occasions when making copies in a darkened area of the building and imagined smelling the aroma of roses. Both Diane and Mary haunted me.

I have also always felt that there would be too many coincidences for these two murders not be be related even though the police say they were not.

I would love to see both of these crimes solved.

Karefree, I also worked at the C&S Mitchell Street Op Center. Though I'd been aware of Mary Shotwell's disappearance for years, I never realized at the time that Mary and Diane Sheilds also both worked at that location.

I agree, the building was somewhat rundown and could seem spooky at times. I never felt physically haunted by Mary or Dianne but I certainly have thought about them over the years and feel a sense of injustice that these cases were not handled as well as they might have been - sadness that neither of the families to date have gotten any answers or seen any sort of justice. So I'm also haunted particularly by Mary's disappearance since I first heard of it as a child. For some reason, perhaps because they found her body, Diane Sheilds case never got the media attention or created the public fascination that Mary's case has over the years. But there's no question in my mind that the cases are linked. And the perpetrator was probably someone associated with C&S who knew both Mary and Dianne through their jobs at the Mitchell Street office.

There's compelling evidence Mary was stalked (though the term was unknown at the time) for weeks before her disappearance and she spoke of her fear in general terms to her friends. Diane spoke to friends of "helping out with the investigation" into Mary's disappearance in an undercover or covert sort of way - again only in general terms. The perpetrator must have been someone from the bank who seemed safe, above suspicion, who gained the trust of both women in order to betray and murder them.

I've wondered if it may have been someone from the Bank Security Department - that Department acted as a sort of internal police force - they had the power to investigate any employee at any time - they had access to all confidential employee information - they worked closely with Human Resources where both Mary and then Diane worked. Many of the bank security personnel had law enforcement experience - it would seem the perfect cover for a murderer intent on seducing and killing these two young, somewhat naive women.

And while the Atlanta PD had many dedicated officers, C&S Bank's influence in the community must surely have played a role in the Atlanta PD's refusal to allow the FBI to take the lead on Mary's case in 1965 when it became an interstate transport kidnapping (after the gasoline charges showed she'd been taken to NC and the gas station attendants reported that she appeared injured and under the control of one or more men). And again when the Atlanta PD refused to link Mary's case to Dianne's and again refused the help of the FBI in 1967 after Dianne's body was found in the trunk of her car in East Point.

Apart from all the obvious connections between these two women - they were young, attractive, somewhat similar in appearance, Dianne took over Mary's job and literally sat at Mary's desk after Mary's disappearance. There were other signals - Mary was newly married, less than six weeks; Dianne was engaged to be married within weeks of her murder. Clearly something about these young women marrying other men was a trigger for the killer - the Atlanta PD never accepted the assistance of the FBI, made no apparent progress on either case, and now reports that all the evidence from both cases (maintained by two different jurisdictions) has been "lost". In the Seattle area alone, evidence is so well stored and maintained that many cold cases (some more than 40 years old) have been solved by extracting material from the victim's clothes and matching DNA with samples already in the system. Ann Rule has documented many of these so-called cold cases being solved many years after she first wrote about them as a young crime writer. If the bloody fingerprint alone from Mary's car had been saved, it could be entered into the national fingerprint database (AFIS) and perhaps provide a match within minutes.

How can the Atlanta PD claim all the physical evidence from both cases has been "lost" and provide no further explanation? These women and their families still deserve some measure of justice, maybe even more so after all these years. I've spoken with friends of Mary's and their pain doesn't go away; they simply learn to live with it. But many of them are still haunted by what happened. Mary Shotwell's 93 year old mother is still alive according to sources I've spoken with, although in poor health. Some of these friends and family members still agonize over the question, "Why Mary?" I hope people will remember; I believe there are still people alive who could provide information. I won't forget these women - Mary Shotwell and Dianne Sheilds - they deserve better.

.... I hope people will remember; I believe there are still people alive who could provide information. I won't forget these women - Mary Shotwell and Dianne Sheilds - they deserve better.

It would seem that Peoples's memories may be the strongest key to solving these obviously linked cases.

The person who did this is clearly a serial killer and he did not stop of his own choosing after these two women. He moved on and committed others. Knowing who worked in and around the two women and knowing where they are today would be one way of investigating. Finding possible links to other similar cases might also help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back