11-15-2009, 11:37 AM
WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Google Earth
Human Trafficking Awareness Thread
The time has come to open this thread. My hope is that more people are reading to discuss the reality of the horror that children are being "sold" to become slaves - not only in other countries - but our country as well.
To start, here is a snip of Marc Klaas' website:
It is estimated that 14,500–17,500 individuals are trafficked into the U.S. each year. However, these numbers pale by comparison to the U.S. citizen victims of Human Sex Trafficking.
* Between 1.6 and 2.8 million children run away annually in the U.S., half of which are girls.
* Within 48 hours of hitting the streets, one third of these children are lured or recruited into the underground world of prostitution or pornography.
* The average age at which girls first become victims of prostitution is 12-14.
* For boys, the entry age is 11-13.
* Approximately 55% of street girls engage in formal prostitution.
* Of the girls engaged in formal prostitution, 75% work for a pimp.
* It is estimated that as many as 300,000 American children are working as prostitutes in the U.S.A.
* Many of these children are missing: many have run away or are throwaway children.
We have learned that the U.S.A. is as much a supply country as it is a demand country for human trafficking. In fact, we are supplying much of our own demand. President George W. Bush has committed the United States Government to lead in combating the serious 21st century challenge of Human Trafficking. The best way to lead is always by example. The best example that the U.S.A. can present to its own citizens and the world at large is to acknowledge the extent that human sex trafficking has affected our own society, and then repair the damage. We must seek legislative solutions and change society’s perception. We must impact the victim’s mindset as we rescue and recover them. Finally, we must identify and criminalize the traffickers.
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:
, Chicken Hawk
, Dr. Know?
, Mrs. B
, Nonni Brenda
, Sooner Fan#1
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off