FL FL - Peggy Byars-Baisden, 23, Highland City, 2 April 1965

Richard said:
There are some similarities which are quite apparent between these two cases. The name Peggy is a derivitive of the name Margaret. Both women were from the same town, and they were about the same age at death (23 and 25). Both were driving 1959 cars made by General Motors, and both were away from home a short distance when they were last seen.

Five years went by between these two cases. Could there have been other attempted abductions, assults, or even murders between them? It may be another case which links and solves one or the other of these two.
Very possible. But what if he was not someone that repeatedly killed just to kill. What if only when he really needed a car part, money, or needed full undisputed control over the household money?

The car from the first victem was taken if I remember right and never found. I wonder if it was traded for help in disposing of the body or if the car was taken because certain 1959 parts were needed or money was needed from selling such a car or its parts. . . . perhaps even parts that could be used on other model cars as well as the one it came from. The second murder could have been more about his spending money, perhaps on someone else and she found out and they argued. The second victem's car was already his so no need to hide or dispose of that one for help or for parts . . . .but what became of the wife's 1959 car after she disappeared?

Richard said:
There are some similarities which are quite apparent between these two cases. The name Peggy is a derivitive of the name Margaret. Both women were from the same town, and they were about the same age at death (23 and 25). Both were driving 1959 cars made by General Motors, and both were away from home a short distance when they were last seen.

Five years went by between these two cases. Could there have been other attempted abductions, assults, or even murders between them? It may be another case which links and solves one or the other of these two.
Both had brown hair and blue eyes. Both were last seen on 98. Margaret at a gas station, Peggy at the Chatterbox.

D

April 2 will be the 42nd anniversary of Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden and her car disappearing, in what must have been almost daylight. Someone somewhere knows something. One would think that a car would be found...however back then a car could also disappear in that part of the state.... famous for the seemingly bottomless sinkholes from the phosphate mining in the area.:banghead:

The following information is from a flyer posted on the Polk County Sheriffs Office website. Click on the link below for a very good photo of Peggy.

----------------------------------------
Missing

Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden
Date of Birth: 07/01/41
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 120 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue

Circumstances:

On April 2, 1965, between 6 and 7 p.m., Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden, left her Third Street, Highland City, Fla., residence enroute to the Chatterbox Bar. The bar was formerly located on the site where the Polk County Parkway intersects with U.S. Highway 98 South, near Eaton Park.

Ms. Byars-Baisden was driving a light green 1959 2-door Chevy Coupe with license tag 5W-21118. A witness at that time, saw the woman in the parking lot of the bar with car trouble.
There was an unknown white/male assisting her. No one has heard from or seen the woman since.

Anyone with information on the location of Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden is asked to contact the Polk County Sheriff's Office at 863 533-0344 or 1 800 226-0344.

Source Information:
Missing: Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden

LINK:
http://www.polksheriff.org/missing/byars.html

Missing since April 2, 1965 from Highland City, Polk County, Florida.
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Sta
tistics
Date Of Birth: July 1, 1941
Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 120 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes

Circumstances of Disappearance

Byars-Baisden left her home in Highland City, FL between 6:00 - 7:00 PM on April 2, 1965. She was headed to The Chatterbox Bar, which was located where the Polk County Parkway intersects with Highway 98 south near Eaton Park.

Byars-Baisden was driving a 1959 light green two-door Chevrolet coupe with Florida license plates number 5W-21118. A witness observed Byars-Baisden in The Chatterbox Bar's parking lot with an unidentified Caucasian male. Her car was apparently having mechanical problems and the man was assisting her.

Byars-Baisden's vehicle was never found. Her family reported her missing the day after she was seen.

Byars-Baisden was divorced with two children when she disappeared. She worked as a waitress while raising her children. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Polk County Sheriff's Office 863-533-0344 OR 800-226-0344

E-Mail: missingperson@polksheriff.org

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Source Information:

Polk County Sheriff's Office
The Ledger
The Doe Network: Case File 84DFFL

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/84dffl.html

How did Earl make his living? I know he worked on cars at home, but what kind of paying job did he have?

Was the Chevy Coupe a Biscayne, an Impala? I do not know much about cars, but is there a way to find out? Also what about a picture of the car or a VIN number for those of us who attend car auctions?

Was the Chevy Coupe a Biscayne, an Impala? I do not know much about cars, but is there a way to find out? Also what about a picture of the car or a VIN number for those of us who attend car auctions?

The Impala was slightly more expensive and fancy than the Biscayne, but they were both built on the same frame and looked very much alike, aside from chrome and extras.

The term "coupe" in 1959 and later was used by General Motors to refer to the two door version of a car - as opposed to a Four Door "Sedan".

I do not know if any photos of the actual car exist. Police probably have the VIN somewhere in the records, since they have the tag number.

For an idea of what her car looked like, here is a link to a 1959 Print Advertisement for a Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe.

LINK:
http://www.adclassix.com/ads/59chevroletimpala.htm

Just read through this thread....

othermother, thanks for the info you've provided and for being brave enough to do so. Life with Earl obviously was not a walk in the park.

When you were married to him, did you live in the same area as he did when Peggy & Margaret went missing? Same house, same street, same town, or were you far away? Sorry if I've missed the answer to that.

I bet Earl was up to more that what happened with these 2 women. I have in my mind at least one other case where a body was found with a tarp or drop cloth with paint.... Don't remember the particulars....

Kinda strange that Floyd (Sharon Marshall story) was also a painter for at least a period of time.

Othermother, can you tell us a little about Earl - was he quick tempered, violent, charming when neessary, just plain evil??? I realize you need to post "smartly", so please answer as you feel safe in doing so. Also, was he a drinker, was there somewhere in particular he liked to "hang out", any male friends you can remember?

I usually get an email alert when someone has posted on this thread.

No, I have never lived in Lakeland. Three hours away from there. Lisa, life with Earl with his unpredictable rages was difficult, however I learned some very good lessons from that time period...especially to appreciate every moment of life.

He was a drinker, but not an alcoholic. His religious beliefs were twisted. He would be physically abusive and then go to church... bizarre..

At the time the Chatterbox lounge was around, it was on his way home from his job, and his wife was busy being 6 months pregnant when Peggy and her car vanished. She would never have questioned if he worked overtime. She never saw his paycheck. He's really cheap. Margaret's mother told me a few months back that he'd never have given Margaret 200.00 to go shopping the night she went missing.

If you met him without knowing who he was you'd come away with the impression that he was a nice southern man, but he's not.

His anger is swift and unpredictable still. All of our eyes were opened in 2003. Our daughter says there's nothing human inside of him. I think I posted the poem here. He cut himself off from all three children in 4/03 and has not uttered a word since...

He liked to shoot pool, drink and hang out in bars when he worked away as a single man. As a married man he was unpredictably mean and violent
and twisted. No male friends.......ever that I know of.

November 14th it will be 37 years that Margaret has been gone. He still claims she ran off and left him and the kids. Shame on him. April 2nd of this year it's been 42 years since Peggy and her car vanished.

I'd be interested in trying to learn about the other woman if you can find anything.

We will never forget and still want justice for both Margaret's and peace for our families.

Peggy's case has appeared recently on several other websites. Below is an example.

--------------------------------------------
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: April 2, 1965 from Highland City, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: July 1, 1941
Height and Weight: 5'4, 120 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Byars-Baisden departed from her residence on Third Street and Central Avenue in Highland City, Florida between 6:00 and 7:00 p.m. on April 2, 1965. She was headed to the now-defunct Chatterbox Bar, which was located near the Polk County Parkway/southbound Highway 98 intersection near Eaton Park. Byars-Baisden was driving her light green two-door 1959 Chevrolet coupe with Florida license plates numbered 5W-21118. A witness saw Byars-Baisden in the establishment's parking lot sometime during the evening hours. She was accompanied by an unidentified Caucasian male, who appeared to be assisting Byars-Baisden with her car's mechanical problems.

Byars-Baisden has never been heard from again. Her car disappeared with her and has never been located. Her family reported her missing that same day. Investigators continue to search for Byars-Baisden but they have never had a suspect in her disappearance. She was divorced with two young children when she vanished, and made a living as a waitress. Byars-Baisden's loved ones say she had no enemies and it would be uncharacteristic of her to abandon her children, who moved in with her sister and brother-in-law after her disappearance.

Some have suggested that Byars-Baisden's disappearance is related to the disappearance of Mary Cook, who vanished from Highland City in November 1970. Both Cook and Byars-Baisden are the mothers of two children each, both were in their twenties, and they resided on the same street. However, investigators do not think the two women knew each other and have not been able to link their disappearances.

Foul play is suspected in Byars-Baisden's case; she is considered to be missing under suspicious circumstances.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Polk County Sheriff's Office
863-533-0344
OR
800-226-0344

PHOTO AVAILABLE AT LINK
http://charleyproject.org/cases/b/byars-baisden_peggy.html

Source:
From Whispers to Roars :: View topic - PEGGY WYNELL BYARS-BAISDEN- 4/2/65 FROM HIGHLAND CITY, FL

LINK:
http://fromwhisperstor.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=22094

Good Morning Richard and Thank you.

Peggy is still missing and as as you know, Saturday was the 39th anniversary of Margaret's vanishing as well.

Now, they are both on the missing person with the FDLE. It was difficult getting Margaret back on but thanks to a vigilant dear friend that knows the ropes, when Peggy's and Margaret's remains are found they will be identified.

Detective Dusty Kendrick of the PCSO Homicide department is in charge.
They are still looking for any help or information. They are trying to find a link to the cases, since they were almost neighbors.

Me

Good Morning Richard and Thank you.

Peggy is still missing and as as you know, Saturday was the 39th anniversary of Margaret's vanishing as well.

Now, they are both on the missing person with the FDLE. It was difficult getting Margaret back on but thanks to a vigilant dear friend that knows the ropes, when Peggy's and Margaret's remains are found they will be identified.

Detective Dusty Kendrick of the PCSO Homicide department is in charge.
They are still looking for any help or information. They are trying to find a link to the cases, since they were almost neighbors.

Me

I am curious, where did you meet Earl at? I am wondering if he frequented hwy 98 and if you remember any places that he liked to go to or if he had a "quiet place" that he went around town.

Also, another question I have from sleuthing. Did Earl divorce Mary Magaret after she disapeared? I'm finding records that they where divorced. And...one more question...what happened to wife #1? Is she still alive? Sorry if this has been discussed before I didnt see it though.

Thanks

I am curious, where did you meet Earl at? I am wondering if he frequented hwy 98 and if you remember any places that he liked to go to or if he had a "quiet place" that he went around town.

Also, another question I have from sleuthing. Did Earl divorce Mary Magaret after she disapeared? I'm finding records that they where divorced. And...one more question...what happened to wife #1? Is she still alive? Sorry if this has been discussed before I didnt see it though.

Thanks

I met Earl in south Florida. I too am wondering if he ever frequented HWY 98. I do know that the Chatterbox was on his way home from work when he was working in Lakeland. His brother told me that. Earl did divorce Margaret on grounds of dissertion.........(of all the nerve) I think in 1972.
Margaret was wife#1.

Sorry it took so long to answer. I didn't get an email when you posted.

April 2, 2010 will mark the 45 year anniversary of the disappearance of Peggy.

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/84dffl.htm

If not for my friends here, (one particular friend), these past years would have been almost impossible emotionally.

I still believe that Earl is responsible for both Peggy and Margaret.

The current Detective is Dusty Kendrick and he can be reached at 863-534-6379 should anyone have any information.

Best Wishes to all,
M

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5280life