Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Susan Cox Powell > Susan Cox Powell General Discussion Threads

Notices

Susan Cox Powell General Discussion Threads This forum contains the original general discussion threads when Susan first went missing. Closed for posting,but open for reading.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Semper Fi

Patty, so as long as you are not behind in payments or in a foreclosure status at the time of a BK filing, you should be able to keep your house.

Thanks Adnoid. It would make sense that Susan probably did know about the bk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Just the facts, ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
I think Josh may have intentionally ran the generator in the house to gas Susan if she was in a drug induced sleep. That would certainly explain the three hours of sledding. It would explain the wet spot. And it would explain why he wove the generator into the camping story. Lots to think about.
I don't think so. We have a gas generator and it's as loud as as riding lawn mower. I can hardly stand to have it running outside as you can't even hear the tv. Really, the neighbors would have heard it if that were the case.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Retired WS Staff

Josh's 2007 monthly income for a family of 4 was $1,022.00.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
Patty, so as long as you are not behind in payments or in a foreclosure status at the time of a BK filing, you should be able to keep your house.

Thanks Adnoid. It would make sense that Susan probably did know about the bk.
Yup, I know that. I just posted the info as someone asked "if they can keep their house."
Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal Gal View Post
I'm not suggesting that this is the case here, but when we bought our first home as a married couple, my husband qualified as a first-time homebuyer but I didn't. The lender was able to get us a better interest rate by putting only DH on the loan, but we were both listed on the deed to the house.

The reason I don't think that is the case here is because the Powell's seemingly got a lousy interest rate.

Pardon my giddiness, but I feel like we just got an Anthony Doc Dump!
We now know that Susan is joint owner of the house.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliving View Post
I don't think so. We have a gas generator and it's as loud as as riding lawn mower. I can hardly stand to have it running outside as you can't even hear the tv. Really, the neighbors would have heard it if that were the case.

I was thinking the same thing. My neighbor has one and they are extremely loud! I'm not sure how close the neighbors houses are but they would hear it if it was running for 3+ hours IMO
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LadyBug99 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm in it for the tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
...Utah is also a "Common Law" State
Yep.

Remember that Bankruptcy is an action under Federal law while things like debt collection and divorce are actions under State law. Bankruptcy courts are in essence an "equity" court and the judges can rule by what they think is fair, not the exact reading of the laws - they are allowed to do that due to the nature of the proceedings.

The common law vs. community property has a bearing on whether or not creditors could go after Susan for Josh's debts. As a practical matter there's nothing to go after anyway, but since Utah is not a community property state she would pretty much have to be a codebtor to be liable, not just and authorized user.

Most personal bankruptcies just go through the system with no creditors objecting and the Trustee approving everything as long as it makes sense. It doesn't look like there was a single unusual item in this one beyond the fact that Susan was not included.

Email me
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Just the facts, ma'am

Quote:
Josh's 2007 monthly income for a family of 4 was $1,022.00.
And the mortgage payment was $1300? How did they even eat? Oh wait, the Sam's Club credit card.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I kinda thought about that too, however it really depends on the size of the generator.

One like this one:
Honeywell HW1000i Portable Inverter Generator (50 State Model)
$399
Added features are power indicator light, AC and DC overload protection, clean sine wave. Bonus accessories: Oil fill canister, oil drain tube and tool kit (spark plug socket and reversible Phillips and slotted screwdriver), 1 liter, 10W30 oil, funnel, 12V cord. Sound rating: 58dB (7m). http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=generators+portable&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16002628458528970303&ei=u34qS5-iE8X_nAff_OXxCA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct= result&resnum=4&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

58 decibels are comparable to a normal conversation. http://www2.northerntool.com/generator-buyers-guide.htm
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ike83 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 PM

If his plan was to kill her by carbon monoxide poisoning (generator). Why the crazy cover up?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LadyBug99 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
And the mortgage payment was $1300? How did they even eat? Oh wait, the Sam's Club credit card.
As I go through the documents, particularly Document 2, page 16, it shows income as $4500.00, with a additional info in #17.

The problem is not seeing all the documents to see how it went from $4500.00 to $1022.00. Although the documents may be there and I haven't seen them yet.

See attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Josh Income.JPG (43.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Patty G; 12-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Justice for all victims!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug99 View Post
If his plan was to kill her by carbon monoxide poisoning (generator). Why the crazy cover up?

IDK the reason for the crazy coverup, LadyBug99. I have the feeling it will be a long time before we have any definitive answers.

I still think Josh drugged Susan and from there, I just do not know.

MOO
Old 12-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and even if he thought it would be a good idea at the time, his lawyer would have told him by now, "Look, dude - we're going to go tell them that you accidentally left the thing running in the house, and that you didn't know anything about carbon monoxide. When you came back and found her, you panicked, and got rid of her body. They're going to be suspicious, and they're going to want to find the body. But you'll be in a whole lot less trouble that way than you are at the moment."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DomCasual For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
As I go through the documents, particularly Document 2, page 16, it shows income as $4500.00, with a additional info in #17.

The problem is not seeing all the documents to see how it went from $4500.00 to $1022.00. Although the documents may be there and I haven't seen them yet.

See attachment
From Schedule I, his Regular income would be $4500 (as opposed to currently is):

17. Describe any increase or decrease in income reasonably anticipated to occur within the year following the filing of this document:
expected to make about $4500 per month (after expenses) after bankruptcy is finished, because there will be no more lawsuit
distracting from business

ETA: Oh, I see what you're saying, Patty. You're looking for the documentation to back up the stated difference in income. Gotcha!

~ <insert name here> after they find out their best friend is a murderer.

Last edited by Dal Gal; 12-17-2009 at 02:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dal Gal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:

See attachment
WOW!!! thats crazy. How did they survive on that?

I have lost all faith in humanity lately. I feel that in our core human beings are inherently selfish, deviant, and sometimes evil. I love the law and believe that our justice system is good, but it is the people executing the laws that are flawed. Whether people want to admit or not, or realize it or not. Most are plagued by they own engrained prejudices. The nature of man is to divide, not to unite. I've seen it, lived it. There are those of us, who strive for equality. Who truly don't see color that must prevail.
The Following User Says Thank You to burbqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Retired WS Staff

As I read through the cost of household items in the house, I thought "WTH"?

Refrigerator/Freezer worth $10.00 and so are the "pots and pans"!

Beds/Bedding (4 people) $20.00 yet the Microwave is $25.00.

And they have a $15,000+ vehicle?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal Gal View Post
From Schedule I, his Regular income would be $4500 (as opposed to currently is):

17. Describe any increase or decrease in income reasonably anticipated to occur within the year following the filing of this document:
expected to make about $4500 per month (after expenses) after bankruptcy is finished, because there will be no more lawsuit
distracting from business

ETA: Oh, I see what you're saying, Patty. You're looking for the documentation to back up the stated difference in income. Gotcha!
Yes, that's what I would like to see the document that made it go from $4,500 to the $1,022.00.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Mother Seeking Justice

Quote:
Because you'd still have to explain the presence of carbon monoxide. So he might have still wanted to remove the body.

This one isn't very bright...Scott P looks like a rocket scientist in comparison.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerRed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Retired WS Staff

No answers in Susan Powell's disappearance or husband's status

<snip>

Joshua Powell has submitted to two police interviews, Black said. The first time was on Dec. 8 -- two days after his wife disappeared -- and he was "not very productive," the assistant chief said.

The second interview was Tuesday when police served a warrant to take a sample of Joshua Powell's blood. Joshua Powell had his attorney with him, Black said, and only answered some questions about what kind of jewelry Susan Powell wears, scars she has and other information that would help police identify her.

"He answered questions that would help us if we found Susan," Black said. "He did not answer any questions that would help us find Susan."

more here

http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_14009971

I sooo want Susan to be alive & well -- but I don't think any of us thinks that's will be the case...especially w/ this a$$munch who obviously doesn't want her found doing what he can to make sure that she's not....I hope he is miserable, can't eat & can't sleep.
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Just 1 tip to find a killer

Quote:
As I read through the cost of household items in the house, I thought "WTH"?

Refrigerator/Freezer worth $10.00 and so are the "pots and pans"!

Beds/Bedding (4 people) $20.00 yet the Microwave is $25.00.

And they have a $15,000+ vehicle?
Yes I got the same thing.........kitchen set $7.
Come on now, that is so fake in a beautiful 2 stall garage home!
and he had money to add on a deck now and buy a NEW generater???
and listing HER PARENTS money owed in the BRuptsy is simply crazy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 PM

When I got divorced - my x and I filed for bankruptcy before divorce was final - we owed my parents - had to put them down for bankruptcy - can't remember which lawyer (divorce or bankruptcy) told me we had to. Now of course - I'm still paying them back - I just had to list them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ckwood32 For This Useful Post:

Kinda relevant. . . father of this family was at work. . .

Generator suspected in Fort Lauderdale family's carbon monoxide poisoning
By RACHEL HATZIPANAGOS
Sun Sentinel

Police are investigating the apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Monday morning of a Fort Lauderdale family that had a generator operating inside their home.

Authorities said the children were admitted to the hospital on Monday by their father after he discovered them unresponsive. They are in critical condition but are expected to survive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ike83 For This Useful Post:
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlin gal View Post
PRESS RELEASE 12/16/09
22:45 PST Contact:
Shelby Gifford, Cox Family spokesperson

SUBJECT: Press Conference Being Held by the Cox Family

The Cox family will hold a press conference tomorrow, December 17th at 1:00 PM PST at the Best Western Hotel located at 620 South Hill Park Drive in Puyallup WA. Members of the media are invited to arrive at 12:30 pm to set up equipment as needed.

Seven members of the Cox family are scheduled to be present. We will read a statement and answer questions as appropriate.
Does anyone have the link to this press RELEASE? Trying to locate a site that will be carrying this press conference.

Last edited by Patty G; 12-17-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: change conference to release
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

Quote:
Yes, that's what I would like to see the document that made it go from $4,500 to the $1,022.00.
It kinda sounds like bs to me anyhow. He's saying that if he didn't have people bugging him for their money that he could earn more?? Those were some busy debt collectors! :sarcasm:

~ <insert name here> after they find out their best friend is a murderer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dal Gal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Yeah, and even if he thought it would be a good idea at the time, his lawyer would have told him by now, "Look, dude - we're going to go tell them that you accidentally left the thing running in the house, and that you didn't know anything about carbon monoxide. When you came back and found her, you panicked, and got rid of her body. They're going to be suspicious, and they're going to want to find the body. But you'll be in a whole lot less trouble that way than you are at the moment."

I agree. If his original plan was to kill her this way, why would he go through all that trouble of taking the boys out of the house at midnight and disposing of her body? He would have already had it planned to play dumb about the carbon monoxide and came home from sledding to find her dead. IMO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyBug99 For This Useful Post: