VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that have been following both the semiotics discussion regarding the meaning of words and other symbols and the parallel discussion of race issues in Farmville might find this story and discussion interesting: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/farmville-va/TUJ070QP3JTN73F3O

Apparently some members of the Farmville city council are semioticians too.

ETA: actually its the board of supervisors....

re: Mary and the 10-20 years comment

10-20 is typical sentencing for second degree murder, or, non premeditated murder.

I hear about Sam in jail and how his family has abandoned him, and I start to feel a bit of sympathy - then I realize it's not really for just Sam, it's for all kids who have never felt love. I'll allow myself that sorrow. Yes it's sad for Sam and many others. Then I remember that he most likely did not just snap and kill some people- no - it was a bit more horrific and brutal and I am not sure I'm ready to feel sorry for him in regards to taking away four innocent lives in such a brutal manner. I mean HE wiped out a family - and now two, including his own, I suppose.

There are those born into this life who know their place, their gift. Some of you are compassionate, caretakers, God Bless you, but I think it takes all kinds and I've been born a warrior spirit somehow and I feel the need to keep reminding everyone about 4 lives taken, about a kid who, LIKE MANY KIDS, may have had it rough, but these acts are not excusable because of his hardship in youth. It’s not about revenge, it’s about accountability.
If I were a parent I know I’d be just as strict as dangrs – I’ll bet many of you raise your children to take some accountability for their actions and to have consequences so that they may form the ability to outweigh risk and understand that there will ALWAYS be someone or some institution that will have the final word; get used to it baby.

The state now has to hold Sam accountable. I completely understand the compassion and even get a twinge myself, but I’ll save it for the real needy people who have not let their crappy lives turn them into monsters. Put aside what the penalty is – it’s still a penalty for his actions and whether we like it or not , taking Sam out of society for the good of others is what must happen. What’s the darn difference if he lives in a cage or dies? The point is to remove him from society…and I don’t get how caging someone for possibly 60 years is in any way humane.

As for Sarah, she’s just as lost on what being a human is as Sam…common denominator? That’s right. Funny we focus on Debra and Mark. I’m really pissed off at Sam’s parents right now and wondering about their accountability in all this. Seems they’ve managed to escape the bright light but why? I think their lack of good parenting hurt a kid who hurt others and the least they could do is own up, geez.

10-20 is typical sentencing for second degree murder, or, non premeditated murder.

Thanks Andres. Maybe it's just my propensity toward a prosecutor's brain, but I can't find any mitigating factors here for second degree murder.
Virginia Code § 18.2-31
http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1802000/18.2-31.html

Can a defense of insanity allow a mitigation to second degree murder? Help a 1L sista out here.

Where in the hell is Sam getting the idea he may get 10 to 20, I am sure Mary didnt make that up and so Sam must have some basis for making that comment, could a plea deal be on the table?

If the state is seriously offering 10 to 20 then this whole thing went down in such a way that we are not even close in our theories.

I just couldn't resist jumping in here at this point to say, Pax, you have a big nose. A ****ing honker, dude. Whoa. :cool: the tapu

proboscis-monkey-big-nose.gif

Guilty as charged.:crazy:

Where in the hell is Sam getting the idea he may get 10 to 20, I am sure Mary didnt make that up and so Sam must have some basis for making that comment, could a plea deal be on the table?

If the state is seriously offering 10 to 20 then this whole thing went down in such a way that we are not even close in our theories.

Or could his attorney have said "slim chance" that he would be able to work that out? If I was Sam and someone said slim chance, I would cling to that hope.

Off case but on topic of death penalty...I see Judge Strickland in Orlando denied Andrea Lyon's motion - that means the state will be allowed to seek the death penalty in the murder of Caylee Anthony. That defense team gets smacked down left and right. It's OK with me, just sayin.

10 to 20? No Way. A local lawyer killed his wife. He got life. What do you think the commonwealth will do to Sam?

Those that have been following both the semiotics discussion regarding the meaning of words and other symbols and the parallel discussion of race issues in Farmville might find this story and discussion interesting: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/farmville-va/TUJ070QP3JTN73F3O

Apparently some members of the Farmville city council are semioticians too.

ETA: actually its the board of supervisors....
Mr. Fore is a very intelligent individual admired by most in our community. He has served our small community, and our huge nation. Mr. Fore is a retired Army General. Ask him about war, blood and guts. He gave it all for you and me.

Mr. Fore is a very intelligent individual admired by most in our community. He has served our small community, and our huge nation. Mr. Fore is a retired Army General. Ask him about war, blood and guts. He gave it all for you and me.

OT but I gotta:

I certainly respect our men and women in uniform, served in the US Navy myself during the first Persian Gulf war, but after reading General Smedley S. Butler's work "War is a racket," I now think those wars are fought for someone other than "you and me."

Book is online here. Butler was a decorated military man who was once asked to lead a military coup and sieze the White House. That story is written in the book "The Plot to Seize the White House."

War is a racket:

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/racket.html

The plot to seize the white house:

http://www.chris-floyd.com/plot/The_Plot_to_Sieze_the_White_House_by_Jules_Archer/

Interesting books!

BTW DM thanks for that link, lots of cool PDFs there, I didnt have this one before!

OT but I gotta:

I certainly respect our men and women in uniform, served in the US Navy myself during the first Persian Gulf war, but after reading General Smedley S. Butler's work "War is a racket," I now think those wars are fought for someone other than "you and me."

Book is online here. Butler was a decorated military man who was once asked to lead a military coup and sieze the White House. That story is written in the book "The Plot to Seize the White House."

War is a racket:

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/racket.html

The plot to seize the white house:

http://www.chris-floyd.com/plot/The_Plot_to_Sieze_the_White_House_by_Jules_Archer/

Interesting books!

BTW DM thanks for that link, lots of cool PDFs there, I didnt have this one before!

Indeed. I'm sure you've seen the documentary Why We Fight? If not I highly recommend it to everyone. Very disturbing but sometimes the truth hurts.

Amazon.com: Why We Fight: Gore Vidal, John McCain, Ken Adelman, John Ashcroft, Osama Bin Laden, George Bush, George W. Bush, Robert Byrd, Frank Capra, Dick Cheney, Joseph Cirincione, Bill Clinton, Eugene Jarecki, Alessandra Meyer, Hans Robert Eisenhauer, Julie Fischer, Mette Hoffman Meyer, Nick Fraser: Movies & TV

Oh yea thats a must see!

I like this summary of it best:

Named after the series of short films by legendary director Frank Capra that explored America’s reasons for entering World War II, Why We Fight surveys a half-century of military conflicts, asking how – and answering why – a nation of, by and for the people has become the savings-and-loan of a government system whose survival depends on an Orwellian state of constant war.

10 to 20? No Way. A local lawyer killed his wife. He got life. What do you think the commonwealth will do to Sam?

Hang him? Ahh crap, we dont do that any more. I supose the state of VA will just have to do the lethal injection.

(BTW, i dont advicate hanging people, i could see people connecting that to the souther state thing lol.)

Oh, and i agree with both people who say Virginia is a southern state AND the one that says its not. I would say southern virginia is a completely different place from northern virgnia. COMPLETELY different.

OT but I gotta:

All I can say is... someone actually named their kid "Smedley"?? Wow. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

About the Klan. About 30 miles south of Branson, Missouri is Omaha, Arkansas. There used to be a highway sign there that said "This stretch of highway is maintained by the Knights Of The Ku Klux Klan." They don't do that anymore cause people kept stealin the sign. I seriously considered stealing it--LOL

Thanks Andres. Maybe it's just my propensity toward a prosecutor's brain, but I can't find any mitigating factors here for second degree murder.
Virginia Code § 18.2-31
http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/toc1802000/18.2-31.html

Can a defense of insanity allow a mitigation to second degree murder? Help a 1L sista out here.

Not sure I really want to stir the pot about this, but 1st degree murder requires premeditation. We don't know what happened. There are certain defenses that wipe away premeditation. Maybe he has one?

Honestly, in my opinion, Sam is a very naive kid. I'm sure his lawyer told him that that was his trial strategy and Sam believes him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts