Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Semper Fi

Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #14 -V. Coleman Trial

Previous threads:

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #6 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #6 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #7 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #7 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #8 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #8 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #9 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #9 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #10 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #10 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #11 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #11 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #12 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community">Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #12 - G. Thomas Trial - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #13 - G. Thomas Trial">Accused Killers of Chris Newsom and Channon Christian on Trial #13 - G. Thomas Trial

Watch live here:
http://www.wbir.com/video/breakingvideo.aspx
Or here:
http://www.wate.com/global/Category.asp?c=173163

(These are unedited video feeds of the trial, likely to contain graphic testimony, images, and descriptions of a violent crime. Please be advised.)

Full Coverage and Background info:

Channon Christian, Christopher Newsom murders - Knoxville News Sentinel
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/news/lo...ewsom-murders/

Case documents:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...urders-knoxvi/

WATE Coverage

WBIR Coverage

Videos:
At Knox News Sentinel

16 minute video on the murders produced by the Knoxville News-Sentinel. (Thanks to William N.)
Twitter links:
Jamie Satterfield - Knoxville News Sentinel:
http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

WBIR:
http://twitter.com/wbirymartinez

WATE:
http://twitter.com/gpatterson12
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Names for reference:
Victims:
Chris Newsom
Channon Christian

Judge:
Richard Baumgartner

Attorneys for Prosecution:
Takisha Fitzgerald, AKA "TK"
Leland Price

Parents:
Hugh and Mary Newsom
Gary and Deena Christian

Last edited by SuziQ; 04-30-2010 at 09:52 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Wow great job SuziQ
I just realized it is about to start for VC, each one seems harder to watch. Honestly I don't think I could be a juror on this case I know that is wrong, but it just bothers me for weeks watching it online, I can't imagine being in the court room. This is one of them cases you never forget. Plus I could put her to death without going through all this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulieR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
Wow great job SuziQ
I just realized it is about to start for VC, each one seems harder to watch. Honestly I don't think I could be a juror on this case I know that is wrong, but it just bothers me for weeks watching it online, I can't imagine being in the court room. This is one of them cases you never forget. Plus I could put her to death without going through all this.
BBM. I was thinking the same thing tonight. I really feel for the jurors. Such a responsibility they have.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Does anyone know what was decided on the "journal?" Is it in or out?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelergirl View Post
Does anyone know what was decided on the "journal?" Is it in or out?
There was a hearing a few weeks ago in which it was brought up. The judge said that he had read it and there were references to what happened.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Here (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/ma...-kept-journal/) is an account of the hearing where the journal was discussed.

Judge Baumgartner said: "I've read it and it certainly seems to be relevant to this incident."

The story says the prosecutors will have to legally connect the journal to Coleman for it to be used.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Semper Fi

Characteristics of jurors key in Coleman's trial

Lawyers carefully scrutinize panel in death penalty case

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/ma...olemans-trial/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I was just thinking how bad I feel for the parents of this young couple, here I am knowing I will be depressed and upset for a few weeks after this trial and yet these poor parents have to sit there time after time, not weeks.........years. I don't know which would be worse to be the parents of Channon or to be the parents of Venessa, I would feel so ashamed. I certainly couldn't look Channon's parents in the face and ask the jurors to spare my daughters life!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulieR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Semper Fi

Live feed is up. Not working very well though. Not many people there yet.
http://www.wbir.com/video/breakingvideo.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Semper Fi

WS has been down for the past hour. Pros read the charges and judge is giving the jury instructions.

Chris and Channon's parents are there.

There is a couple in back on the defense side. The woman looks just like Vanessa. Her parents maybe?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Semper Fi

Coleman is not charged w/ entire indictment. She is not accused in carjacking that started crime spree #cntrial

State to read indictment, which is waaaay long and judge will give prelim legal instructions b/f opening stmts #cntrial

Defense Lavit - wants jury to know feds treated Coleman as witness only, judge says fine on cross-exam #cntrial

Prosecutor TK wants block intro of fed immunity deal inked 4 Coleman, judge to rule later. #cntrial

State says has handwriting expert on journal, judge warns if mention journal b/f his OK "u do so at own peril" #cntrial

Vanessa has totally new 'do. Gone is the explosion of hair, replaced by flat-ironed, sleek look #cntrial
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Semper Fi

TK making opening statements.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I am soooo nervous for this one. Thanks Suzi, I was having panic attacks when I couldnt get on WS!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Semper Fi

Prosecutor TK's opening line - "u can tell lot about woman by contents of her purse." Coleman had Channon stuff
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Semper Fi

TK going thru all the stuff we've heard 3 times b/f in terms of timeline
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Semper Fi

15 minute break
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Semper Fi

Is it me or does it seem that TK is scattered this morning?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
IMO, she doesn't sound like herself your right Suzi...maybe she's sick again...wasn't she sick during the GT trial too?
The Following User Says Thank You to steelergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I thought it was just me; that the two cups of coffee hadn't saturated my brain yet. I was thinking that if I didn't already know so much about this case (like maybe some of the jurors) that I really wouldn't understand what she was talking about or just where she was trying to go with her speech.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelergirl View Post
IMO, she doesn't sound like herself your right Suzi...maybe she's sick again...wasn't she sick during the GT trial too?
I know it was one of the later trials. She had the flu, cold or something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Semper Fi

Wow. Did you all catch all the bailiffs between Vanessa and the galley? Wonder whats up with that?

The judge seems off this morning as well. Putting off ruling on items, not prepared to do so, doesn't want to, etc.

Defense up.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Semper Fi

Vanessa is going to testify?

Defense talking about Stacy Lawson. Weird start to defense opening argument. Clarifying facts brought up by TK. Basically saying Stacy was leaving for other reasons....Fwiw he says. His voice is shaking and he's rambling.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm in it for the tacos.

Quote:
WS has been down for the past hour...
Huh? I was on earlier, and there's nothing in the logs. What were you experiencing?

Email me
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Semper Fi

Hmmmm, he's got Natasha and Stacy confused I think. Saying gun found under Stacy's daughter's bed. Stacy lived elsewhere with her mom didn't she?

Seems, like this attorney wants to make Stacy a scapegoat.

Now talking about about all the agencies coordinating in the investigation and VC being placed in protective custody.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Semper Fi

Wow, this guy is way scattered. Seems like he's sick, he might pass out or something.

Between him and TK, I'd be so confused if I was the jury.

I hope this guy is going to be ok!
Closed Thread