Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe GB did steal the identity of this man, that sure would explain a few things.

Yes Pink, he appearing in 1920 census:
1920 United States Federal Census
about George Broda
Name: George Broda
Home in 1920: Merced, Merced, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Birthplace: California
Relation to Head of House: Roomer
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Image: 661
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William F Rowell 43
Minnie E Rowell 34
Alice A Rowell 11
Aurora Rowell 9
Virginia Rowell 4
George Broda 19
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2...eorgebroda.jpg
and it is very strange... now the options are two:
-or the true italian George Borda ( but born with Giuseppe first name and changed in George), really died in 1918 and who appearing in 1920 census is another person that taken the true and decesead George Broda identity;

-or the death record of 1918 is wrong in some way..
however this fact is strange....
raf

Wow, Raf you are on a roll here. Does this mean that the other members live with this George Brada? If so, I wonder if any of them remember him or if there is a way to find out if he took this identity?

In the Searching for Anna, part 4 thread, Raf's post #124 shows a draft registration card for this George Broda. There is an obliterated middle name which interests me, and it seems that with all the information on this card (which was also found by Jules) there must be some way to get some more information. Do you think it is possible that this person faked a death to get out of serving in World War I?

In the Searching for Anna, part 4 thread, Raf's post #124 shows a draft registration card for this George Broda. There is an obliterated middle name which interests me, and it seems that with all the information on this card (which was also found by Jules) there must be some way to get some more information. Do you think it is possible that this person faked a death to get out of serving in World War I?
Hi Annasmom,
thanks for that; the oblitared middle name is Giuseppe( I enlarged the picture of WWI draft registration card) so George Broda is really: Giuseppe Broda son of Carlo, italian, born in Moncalvo, IT the 10 aug 1900immigrated in USA in 1914..; blue eyes, brown hair; in WWI he was alien.. I believe he no served in WWI...
raf

Hi Annasmom,
thanks for that; the oblitared middle name is Giuseppe( I enlarged the picture of WWI draft registration card) so George Broda is really: Giuseppe Broda son of Carlo, italian, born in Moncalvo, IT the 10 aug 1900immigrated in USA in 1914..; blue eyes, brown hair; in WWI he was alien.. I believe he no served in WWI...
raf
The problem, then, of this being our George Brody is that GB had no trace whatsoever of an Italian accent or of any particular knowledge of, or connection with, Europe. I am positive that GB was American born.

Respectfully Raf, how are you able to read Guiseppe as the middle name? I have tried everything to magnify it, put it into a photo program etc, and I cannot get Guiseppe as the erased middle at all. I am not saying you are incorrect, but are you 100% certain that Guiseppe is the middle name on this draft card?

Did we find when this George came over from Italy? Perhaps if he came over much younger, he lost his accent? Even from the time of this draft card to the time you met him in 1967, 50 yrs had passed. Perhaps he worked hard to lose it. My son has a friend who is 13, but who spent the first 7 yrs of his life in Italy. He moved here when he was about 7 1/2. His father is italian, his mother American, but he has absolutely no italian accent whatsoever. He does, of course, speak fluent italian, but when he is with his friends and at school, there is no accent.

Hi Annasmom,
raf

I went back and checked these:

There was a George Brody, born in PA to Russian (father) and Polish (mother) parents. According to the 1930's census, he was 27. I think this is the George Brody that I linked the obit for from PA.

There is a Eugene (George) Brody (Brady) born 1905 in Wabash, IN. His fathers name was George too.

Cubby,

I take back everything I wrote two minutes ago. I have found your 5 and will go into the documents/manifests to see if anything looks relevant.

: )

Ok. Two of them won't open for me. I get an "error processing request" message. This happens sometimes when they're updating files so, I'll try again later. These two entries look identical in the preview however and I wouldn't be surprised if they are a "double". The three that do open, are all obscured and seem to show up because the last name is not clear. All three of them are listed as crew for three different vessels. Two of them have "black" listed under ethnicity and one has "panamanian". Unfortunately, none of these listings seem of particular relevance to our search.

Hi Raf,

I don't know if you have come across this, but I have also found a 1918 draft card for Carlo Broda, born 1872 in Italy, residence, Merced CA. Could be your George Broda's father. I can't read all of the draft card as it is very fuzzy, so if you have some way of cleaning it up to read, that would be fantastic.

I have also found an Anna Broda on FB, and her pic looks quite interesting. It's not a great pic but her age looks about right for Anna, it looks like she has light brown hair, she wears glasses and she looks quite athletic. Her FB page is locked so I can't see any personal info. If anyone wants to see her pic, let me know and I will PM it.

Doing the math, this George Broda would have arrived in the states at appx age 13. 13 seems like a bit too old for arrival to fully lose any trace of an accent. But that's just a guess, Would someone arriving at 13 lose all traces of a foreign accent?

Hi, OzzieMum,
yes Carlo is the father of George Broda( born with name:Giuseppe Broda);

Julessleuther : yes I am sure that George Broda is Giuseppe Broda; the "...pe" on WWI draft registration card is of Giuseppe first name... he immigrated with Carlo father in 1914...
I no say that is our GB, just I say that is strange the 1920 census, abt same George Broda, resulting decesead in 1918.
That is all..
raf

Doing the math, this George Broda would have arrived in the states at appx age 13. 13 seems like a bit too old for arrival to fully lose any trace of an accent. But that's just a guess, Would someone arriving at 13 lose all traces of a foreign accent?

Hi Cubby,

It is definitely possible for someone to have no trace of an accent if they moved to another country at 13. My best friend was Dutch and came to Australia at around the same age and she had barely any accent. So if George Broda really WANTED to loose his accent, I have no doubt he could. If his real name was Giuseppe and he changed it to George, then he probably wanted to hide his Italian heritage. The fact that he claimed he was born in CA in the 1920 census also shows that he might have been trying to hide his heritage.

IMO, George Brody does have European features.

Is anyone able to check to see if George Broda ever had an SSN?

Cubby,

I was thinking also that we are assuming he was 13, but GB lied about his age, is that correct? He was or looked older than what he claimed to be. So if he took this identity, we don't know when this occurred, what age he decided to change who he was or how this came to be. I am just trying to put this together, and I think I almost need a flow chart now.

I agree on the European features.
Hi Cubby,

It is definitely possible for someone to have no trace of an accent if they moved to another country at 13. My best friend was Dutch and came to Australia at around the same age and she had barely any accent. So if George Broda really WANTED to loose his accent, I have no doubt he could. If his real name was Giuseppe and he changed it to George, then he probably wanted to hide his Italian heritage. The fact that he claimed he was born in CA in the 1920 census also shows that he might have been trying to hide his heritage.

IMO, George Brody does have European features.

The George Brody from Indiana was Eugene Brady on the 1910 census. On the 1920 he is listed as Eugene Brody (George Brady).

I did find another George Brody, born 1902 in Missouri. His father was Russian, his mother born in Missouri. In 1910 they were living in IL. Father's name is Harry, mothers is Bekkie, brothers Earle and Alfred. On the 1920 census it shows mother is Becky born in Russia. Still living in IL. By 1930 he was married to a Rosamond and with a daughter named Elaine. Living in Centralia, IL. He married Rosamond on June 10, 1923 in Missouri. Nothing else listed after 1930. Didn't we have George Brody's signature somewhere? The marriage license with Rosamond has George Brody's signature, here:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?h...0147&fn=George&ln=Brody&st=r&ssrc=&pid=122158

I went back and checked these:

There was a George Brody, born in PA to Russian (father) and Polish (mother) parents. According to the 1930's census, he was 27. I think this is the George Brody that I linked the obit for from PA.

There is a Eugene (George) Brody (Brady) born 1905 in Wabash, IN. His fathers name was George too.

Jules, I can't see the marriage cert because I don't have an ancestry membership. If you'd like you can download the image, save it on an image or photo hosting site. Raf has done this and can suggest some sites..... and then link it to share.

There have been some GB's ruled out because they were traced by DOB and then through the SSDI. I forget which exactly, but we should do a list of Ruled Out GB's...

I'm just so swamped right now I am not going to be able to get to that for at least a week. If anyone wants to search the forum for the GB's already ruled out. Then we can add them in a sticky, or one of the sticky's. I'll find an appropriate place to keep them available for easy reference.

The way I see it, there are 2 possibly scenario's for this George Broda.

1) George Brody was actually George Broda and he faked his own death in1918 for
whatever reason, draft evasion or some other reason unknown to us. This however
does not explain why he is listed in the 1920 census.

2) A person with a name unknown to us assumed George Broda's identity some time after
he died in 1918 and then later changed the surname to Brody. This could explain the
1920 census entry. There are census entries for George Broda's in 1930, a couple of
them were boarders/roomers in different states but I can't confirm if any of them are
the same George Broda as the 1920 census. If the fake George Broda then changed
his name to Brody in 1921 this could explain why George Brody claimed his birth year
as 1921 (I'm pretty sure I read that in one of the threads, please correct me if I'm
wrong).

Of the 2 scenario's, I personally think the second is more plausible.

I hope this makes sense. GB really does my head in :(

Is a SSN automatically issued when someone becomes a naturalized citizen?

Wouldn't George Broda have to have been naturalized to be drafted in to the US armed forces?

Raf,

Have you been able to find out how George Broda died? Maybe he did go to war and was killed in action (unlikely, seeing as the war ended in 1918, only months after he was drafted).

I guess the 3rd scenario could be that George Broda faked his own death to avoid going to war and when the war ended a few months later he came back out of the woodwork. Just a thought.

The way I see it, there are 2 possibly scenario's for this George Broda.

1) George Brody was actually George Broda and he faked his own death in1918 for
whatever reason, draft evasion or some other reason unknown to us. This however
does not explain why he is listed in the 1920 census.

2) A person with a name unknown to us assumed George Broda's identity some time after
he died in 1918 and then later changed the surname to Brody. This could explain the
1920 census entry. There are census entries for George Broda's in 1930, a couple of
them were boarders/roomers in different states but I can't confirm if any of them are
the same George Broda as the 1920 census. If the fake George Broda then changed
his name to Brody in 1921 this could explain why George Brody claimed his birth year
as 1921 (I'm pretty sure I read that in one of the threads, please correct me if I'm
wrong).

Of the 2 scenario's, I personally think the second is more plausible.

I hope this makes sense. GB really does my head in :(

Is a SSN automatically issued when someone becomes a naturalized citizen?

Wouldn't George Broda have to have been naturalized to be drafted in to the US armed forces?

Raf,

Have you been able to find out how George Broda died? Maybe he did go to war and was killed in action (unlikely, seeing as the war ended in 1918, only months after he was drafted).

I guess the 3rd scenario could be that George Broda faked his own death to avoid going to war and when the war ended a few months later he came back out of the woodwork. Just a thought.

I have not researched this, but I believe Social Security did not start until about 1930, and you did have to apply for it; it wasn't automatic. Even as far back as World War I, you could get U.S. citizenship by joining the army. I believe this may still be the case, but am not sure. I can't deal with Brody stuff very long without getting brain freeze, so I know what you mean.:banghead:

I have not researched this, but I believe Social Security did not start until about 1930, and you did have to apply for it; it wasn't automatic. Even as far back as World War I, you could get U.S. citizenship by joining the army. I believe this may still be the case, but am not sure. I can't deal with Brody stuff very long without getting brain freeze, so I know what you mean.:banghead:

Thanks Annasmom. That probably explains why George and Carlo Broda both registered for the draft.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kschopp
Back