AL - Angel Downs, 45, fatally shot, Gulf Shores, 9 May 2010

No, I don't know who they are ~ but, I am checking. It appears they own several pieces of real estate ~ from a quick check on public records.
I saw that about Lynam/Remington.

Gatlin Heating and Air in Semmes and live four doors down from Mickey Dearmon.

The people in line were at a Saints Game.

Nodine’s Release Prompts Custody Battle by Jessica Taloney Published: Thu, June 17, 2010

John Lynam's ex-wife has asked a judge to suspend his visitation rights with the couple's children while Nodine is living in his home.

Gatlin Heating and Air in Semmes and live four doors down from Mickey Dearmon.

The people in line were at a Saints Game.

Nodine’s Release Prompts Custody Battle by Jessica Taloney Published: Thu, June 17, 2010

John Lynam's ex-wife has asked a judge to suspend his visitation rights with the couple's children while Nodine is living in his home.

Good for her!

Steve Nodine's friend appears in court Thursday, 17 Jun 2010, 7:47 PM CDT by Cherish Lombard

BALDWIN COUNTY, Alabama (WALA) - Thursday, Steve Nodine spent his first full day out of jail. Nodine was released on bond from the Baldwin County Corrections Center Wednesday. He is now living with John Lynam, who was in court Thursday morning.

After Nodine got out of jail, he was taken to Lynam's house in Mobile, where he will be staying until his federal and state trials are over.

Lynam has three children, all under the age of 18, with his ex-wife.

Wednesday her attorney filed a motion that would keep the children from visiting her ex-husband while Nodine is living with him.

Thursday morning, attorneys for both parties were in court, and an agreement was reached very quickly.

Judge Rosemary Chambers signed an order saying that both parties agree that John Lynam will not allow Steve Nodine to have any contact with the minor children at any time when they are visiting their father.

Furthermore, Nodine is not to be present in the home while the children are there.

Wednesday one of Nodine's attorney's, Dennis Knizley, said he expects Nodine's murder case to go to trial by September. Knizley expects Nodine's federal firearms trial to start in August.

Nodine's House Arrest Causing Problem for his Friend Reported by: Mike Rush Email: mrush@local15tv.com Last Update: 6:32 pm

(MOBILE, Ala.) Former Mobile County Commissioner Steve Nodine is serving his house arrest at his friend's home on South Georgia Avenue in Mobile. Thursday, when LOCAL 15 reporter Mike Rush knocked on the door, Nodine didn't answer, but did speak through the door.

"Hey, Bro. Can't say anything," said Nodine. He went on to say, "You're gonna have to get off the property, dude", and "Love you, man. It's not my property but they have a restraining order against you guys on the property, so..."

Soon after Rush and his photographer stepped off the property, they caught a glimpse of Nodine, in what looked like a white tee shirt and shorts, accepting visitors. The two guys with badges on their belts were top secret about who they are.

Nodine's confinement to his friend's house appears to be causing problems for the friend. John Lynam's ex-wife, not comfortable with having their three children around an accused killer, got a judge to stop visitation at the house as long as Nodine is there.

Also, a job prospect Nodine's lawyer said Nodine had has dried up.

"It will be in the construction industry, I'm not sure exactly what they will have him doing. It might be picking up nails at a construction site," lawyer Gordon Armstrong said earlier in the week.

The owner of P & W Construction tells LOCAL 15 he was offering Nodine a general labor job because he was a friend of a friend, but then took back the offer because it wasn't in his best interest.

Despite what Nodine said about a restraining order filed to keep us away, LOCAL 15 has not received an order of any kind to stay away from Nodine.

Nodine’s Release Prompts Custody Battle by Jessica Taloney Published: Thu, June 17, 2010 - 10:48 am CST

Nodine was released from the Baldwin County Correction Center in Bay Minette Wednesday afternoon. One of the conditions of Nodine's bond is that he will live with Lynam at his home in midtown Mobile.

Nodine lied about the restraining order. Take a look at the video by Mike Rush's report on WPMI

Notice the familiarity Nodine displays, calling Rush "bro" and "dude?" Classic Nodine. It's part of the wolf in sheep's clothing Nodine uses - it's hard to be critical of a "nice-guy". LOL

GOOD for P&W Contracting for saying "NO JOB" but why wasn't proof of employment a requirement for the release?

Hoping the no job may make trouble for Nodine in front of Judge next week. Also good Lyman's wife said no visits with kids as long as Nodine is in house. If case takes a year that's a long time without kids staying with their Dad. Where are this father's priorities?!

The public seems more actively angry - which is GOOD they should be outraged by this man's abhorrent behavior!

STOP letting Nodine talk to the press like they're his buddies? It's distasteful and unprofessional.

Steve Nodine’s most powerful tool he will use in his defense is to be “nice.” A “nice guy” doesn’t fit society’s image of a murderer. Society also wants them to be strangers. The fact is: most are not. “niceness” is a powerful weapon. When someone is nice, it is difficult to confront him or mistrust him.

Expert Weighs in on Nodine/Downs E-mails By Kevin Lee Lagniappe WEB EXCLUSIVE JUNE 18, 2010

“Until you turn yourself into a pain clinic as your doctors suggested I will not be around…as next time you may actually succeed in killing me,” Angel Downs wrote in an e-mail to Stephen Nodine almost six months to the day before her shooting death in the driveway of her Gulf Shores home. The string of correspondence between Downs and the former Mobile County Commissioner was released by Baldwin County District Attorney Judy Newcomb as part of efforts to have Circuit Judge Charles Partin reconsider his reduction of bond for the accused murderer’s release.

Originally set at $500,000 following Nodine’s May 24 arrest, Partin cut the amount in half on June 3 after originally stating he would wait until the outcome of federal firearms charges before ruling on the reduction. The federal bench decided June 16 to release Nodine into house arrest with no bond pending his August trial.

A dozen e-mails dated Nov. 10, 2009 were exchanged from 9:53 p.m. through 11:59 p.m. They outline a string of abuse in varying nature: physical, emotional, drugs and political power.

Nodine originally asked if Downs needed help with funds, “…or do u want me to go away forever like christine said u want me to do?” He later wrote “But anyway I would do anything in the world for you weather your with me or drew!”

Downs said funds would be used and questioned whether his offer was based in guilt.

“Where have u been staying b? Why did u destroy us like this?” Nodine replied.

“Should have known better,” Downs responded at 10:31 p.m. “You are not interested in helping me as ur email stated. Gnite Stephen.”

Nodine answered that he had been sleeping in his car. “That is what u hav e reduced me too, do u even remember or care what u said to me? I guess u must have meant it.”

Downs’ next missives were longer. “More clearly I heard ur friends comments and you taking ur frustrations out on me,” she wrote. “I actually had to go to the hospital and they have pics on me from all the bruises, poking, scratching, pishing etc.,” she wrote. “Even did a blood test for my records. U fractured my tailbone by pushing me down and slammering my head on the door…U almost got ur ownself arrested by screaming, poking and pushing me. However, I saved ur *advertiser censored* by not saying anything bc u had drugs in yr pockets. You are an addict. You need help.”

Nodine answered eight minutes later. “U fell down three times,” he wrote, “once inm room twice on street, u kept attacking me b, I did not hav e any drugs on me, am not e mailing any of this as it is all a joke if u know what I mean, I can’t text u but hav e pics of my arms.”

Downs’ last e-mail followed. “I didn’t fall down you tried to kill me and get your kicks off beating me up,” she typed. “You body slammed into the door. I fell when you pushed me as your are 3 times my size. Any scratches you have were self defense to get you off me. Your addiction turns you into a very ugly person. I don’t like him…I did nothing wrong. Even the folks in the food line tried to help me from your abuse. All I did was wait in line for a hamburger and you tried to arrest the guys in front of us bc they told you to stop harassing me and the older couple behind us asked what you were on. This is not worth it!!!! …You use your badge as a tool or power trip when out in the public…you abuse your powers. I don’t know any man who gets a kick out of hurting (physically and emotionly) as you do. You humiliated me and hurt me. I have no choice but to remove myself from the situation. I now have nightmares of you trying to kill me. Please please get help! You r staying home and married bc Christopher needs you remember? So be his father, a good man that he can grow up and respect…”

Downs’ office phone numbers were on her signature. Nodine’s cell phone records reveal he exchanged six calls with that number from March 26 – April 25, 2010. This is in addition to the approximately 157 calls and 432 text messages he exchanged with her cell phone during that same period. From April 26 – May 9, 2010, Nodine exchanged 26 calls with her office in addition to the 117 calls and 35 text messages he exchanged with her cell phone.

Lagniappe contacted Peter Hyatt, an internationally known statement analyst currently employed by the State of Maine. After perusing the e-mails, Hyatt offered his opinion on the correspondence.

“It can be difficult to analyze from fragments, but there may be some issues,” Hyatt said via e-mail. “There is a basic element of truth running through her e-mail regarding physical abuse. There is also an element of guilt, not unusual in domestic violence cases as victims often blame themselves. ‘I did nothing wrong’ is a negation: We cannot do ‘nothing,’ so it is likely that she used some harsh language to provoke him (he reminds her without repeating what she said).”

“She attempts to show that there are witnesses to verify her account,” Hyatt continued. “Another sign of veracity is the use of ‘said’ and ‘told.’ ‘Said’ is softer language, but ‘told’ is stronger; authoritative, perhaps even an argument. The guys ‘told’ him to leave her alone, but the elderly couple ‘asked.’ This is consistent and a sign that this account is truthful. Any change in language must reflect change in reality and here we have a sign of veracity.”

“She also goes from past tense (what he did) to present tense (what he is now) accurately,” Hyatt said. “This is another indicator of veracity.”

“As you likely know, the danger for a woman comes when she attempts (usually with some success) to break away from the controlling abuser,” the analyst wrote. “When she is free from him, she is, statistically, more likely to suffer serious injury or death.”

“Her e-mail to him appears to be credible and trustworthy,” Hyatt concluded.

The analyst then added a post-script.

“I doubt that the doctor ‘suggested’ he go into a pain clinic,” Hyatt said. “The language is too soft and minimizing. This may not be a sign of deception but it’s likely she has been told by him the doctor ‘suggested’ it. Doctors don’t suggest pain clinics, but likely TOLD him to go into a rehab. He softened it and she is now repeating his language. This is common in human discourse.”

Nodine defense attorney Dennis Knizley was unfazed by Hyatt’s analysis.

“At first blush, I don’t know of this gentleman’s qualifications,” Knizley said, “but it sounds like this is tremendous speculation on his part. We don’t need someone from Maine to tell us what human experience can tell us.”

Nodine is scheduled to appear before Judge Partin on June 23 in a hearing on the possible increase.

Explosive revelations in ongoing murder drama by Kevin Lee

Kevin does his usual excellent job in reporting facts. You'll not get this in depth reporting anywhere else.

Kevi is a very good writer - you'll enjoy the read and end up scratching your head? How does this happen in America?

Why NO FBI investigation?

Clipped for length - a few choice quotes - check out the photos of Mickey Dearmon and the finale I loved it!:

“I’ll tell you one thing,” the source said, “he sure has been an arrogant *advertiser censored* in jail.”

and-

Nodine looked at the pair of defense lawyers, smiled and winked in confidence.

and-

When asked if he understood the terms, Nodine straightened loudly responded, “I have not let the United States down in 28 years and I won’t now.”

Dennis Knizley shook his head and muttered “Shut up” under his breath. Williams nodded.

Oh and I almost forgot Steve Nodine now has his own website. Where he uses his child, and George W. Bush to solicit funds for his defense. He never mentions it's for MURDER.

Angel was very petite only weighing 105 lbs. I can't imagine anyone as large as Nodine body slamming her. Take a look at his fat frame in the videos of him being arrested. His man *advertiser censored* and belly shake as he walks.

Angel was very ill since she was a toddler with heart and kidney problems. She was on a waiting list for transplant into her late 30's. She has had someone taking care of her her whole life. IMHO I think she led a very sheltered life.

She was the 2nd child of 4 in a military family. Her emails are timed in military time. Nodine probably told her of his amazing background in the Army Reserves with his usual embellishments. His friendship with Alexander Haige, etc.

Angel's loving father was a military man. She had been sick most of her life and taken care of. This is what I suspect Nodine also promised to do.

Her friends have confirmed Nodine lied about being married at first and it's been reported the Nodine marriage was unusual and one of convenience at best.

Criminals generally keep their crimes to themselves. He has a LONG history of hiding behind supposed good works.

Even Ann Rule didn't know The Stranger Beside me (her) was Ted Bundy.

Amazon.com: The Stranger Beside Me (Revised and Updated): 20th Anniversary…

That was a great article, ChaCha! IIRC, you have referenced him before. Too lazy to go back and check. I really like the way he writes.

Thank you Cha Cha for keeping us up to date, I've been out of pocket for a couple of days, but I knew I could just check here for the latest.

Records show Stephen Nodine discussed Lortab dependency with doctor Published: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 5:30 AM
by Brendan Kirby, Press-Register

As far back as March 2009, then-Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine spoke with his doctor about his possible dependence on Lortab, according to the doctor's handwritten notes.

The notes included in Nodine's court file figure to play a prominent role in his federal prosecution on a charge of being an unlawful drug user in possession of firearms.

Nodine is scheduled for a federal trial in August. He also faces a state murder charge in the May 9 shooting death of Angel Downs, a Gulf Shores real estate broker with whom he was having an affair.

Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine leaves the Mobile Metro Jail Friday afternoon, May 13, 2010, after turning himself in on drug charges.
Medical records indicate that Nodine was taking the painkiller Lortab to treat osteoarthritis of the hip.

Dr. Lisa Burch, Nodine's family physician, wrote on March 3, 2009, that she and Nodine "discussed at length" narcotic dependence and that he was "ready for 'help.'"

But Nodine declined to enter a treatment program or undergo psychological counseling because of his position in the community, she wrote.

In September of that year, Burch told Nodine that she would not provide him with further prescriptions for pain medication until he came in for an appointment.

Records from Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, where Nodine spent four days as a patient after Downs died, show that he told doctors there that he was taking as many as 10 10-milligram Lortab pills a day. He also said that he smoked one or two marijuana cigarettes on weekends and drank four or five beers on most days.

Nodine's lawyer on the gun charge, Gordon Armstrong, said that his client disputes characterizations of his use of marijuana and Lortab. He said that Nodine was taking Lortab as prescribed by his doctors.

Armstrong said that investigators gathered some 300 pages of medical documents on Nodine. "You can't take one medical record and isolate it," he said.

Nodine faces up to 10 years in prison on the gun charge, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Gloria Bedwell indicated that she would seek the maximum if she wins a conviction.

The federal indictment alleges that Nodine had two Glock pistols from May 2009 until May 10 of this year, when he gave them to a pair of local lawyers who had come to check on him.

Records from the state's Prescription Drug Monitoring Program show that Nodine began obtaining Lortab from Dr. Todd Elmore, a Mobile neurologist, toward the end of 2009, according to court documents prepared by the U.S. Attorney's Office.

In Elmore's notes, the doctor wrote in January of this year that he did not detect "any irregularities" when he looked up Nodine's prescription history in the monitoring program's database.

In a May 15 statement, however, Elmore wrote that he was going to terminate Nodine as a patient after seeing news reports about his alleged Lortab abuse. Elmore wrote, "According to the news (I am unable to verify this here) he has been receiving an amount of Lortab in excess of what we prescribed."

Elmore placed a note on Nodine's medical chart telling his staff not to provide any prescriptions to him. He also informed pharmacies that any prescription for Nodine from him should be considered invalid.

"According to the news, Mr. Nodine has been receiving Lortab from more than one physician, certainly in excess of what he represented to us," the doctor wrote.

It was his policy, Elmore wrote, to discontinue seeing patients "who deceive us in this manner" and to send them a certified letter "terminating our physician/patient relationship."

Armstrong said it is clear that Elmore was responding to media reports, not actual evidence that Nodine was abusing drugs.

"I think it's more like 'hot potato, I'm not going to take it,'" he said.

Nodine went to see Burch on Jan. 7 to ask for a drug test, according to her notes. That was shortly after workers at the county motor pool found marijuana in Nodine's government-issued pickup truck.

Burch's notes reflect that Nodine was under a great deal of stress, was having trouble sleeping and had gained 25 pounds. But Nodine told the doctor that he was not taking Lortab every day anymore.

When he checked into Mobile Infirmary on May 10, he was suffering withdrawal symptoms, according to a record prepared by Dr. William Wilkerson, who initially put him on a regimen of 10-milligram Lortab tablets, three times a day.

But the doctors would not provide Nodine with a Lortab prescription, leaving that decision to Bradford Health Services in Warrior, Ala., where Nodine agreed to seek drug treatment when he was discharged from Mobile Infirmary on May 14, records show.

Nodine never went to Bradford, however, a decision that drew the ire of prosecutors.

Dennis Knizley, an attorney who represents Nodine on the murder charge, said he counseled Nodine against going to Bradford because he was in the middle of an impeachment fight at the time.

"My advice for him was to not," he said. "I did not see a dependence issue. There were matters that needed to be tended to."

Nodine resigned from the County Commission on May 27 rather than undergo an impeachment trial.

Attachments

• nodine.jpg
    nodine.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
CRIMEWIRE
Join co-hosts Denny Griffin retired Police Investigator and Author Susan Murphy-Milano Violence Expert and Author and Vito Colucci Jr. Private Eve and Author.

Famous Statement Analysis Petter Hyatt (of the Caylee Anthony and Susan Smith cases) will take an in depth look at the emails and discuss with Mobile Lagnaippe Reporter Kevin Lee.

6/22/2010 8pm Call-in Number: (646) 478-0982

You can listen on line or call in to listen, or podcast for later.

"When there is nowhere else for families to find answers and seek justice, the Crime Wire team is there." Join hosts Denny Griffin, Susan Murphy-Milano and Vito Colucci, Jr. as they highlight homicide, suspicious death and cover-up cases for families seeking justice. Along with the Crime Wire noted experts and attorney's Mickey Sherman, Fox News Analyst Lis Wiehl, Al Dressler, Peter Hyatt, Donna Pendergast and David Lohr each week.

DivShare File - crimewire6222010.mp3

Prosecutor Donna Pendergast, Expert Statement Analyst Peter Hyatt discuss case with Reporter Keving Lee. It's the very first part of the show.

Donna brings up many good points and the Crimewire team says they have found a possible second vicitm in Nodine's past?!!

Donna asks why is someone facing premeditated homicide walking free. With hurricane season fast approaching who is watching this accused killer?

Many good talking points and interesting show! They are looking forward to high lighting this case again soon.

Original link to show in below thread.

Lagniappe From a Boozie spy at 8:30 a.m.: I just saw Nodine stroll into Spot of Tea with a "Y'all keep praying" sign-off to 2 greeters. Drove away in a mini- SUV after spending 3 minutes inside. Weds 6/23/2010

Comments:
Brent Ericson I will keep on praying (for the soul of the innocent woman he murdered)

Les Switzer WTH.......what exactly is house arrest? See yer buddies at work!!!!!

Bobbi Cumbie Pierce it amazes me that someone will break the law for years...and morally be unaware of god and then the moment they are Caught they believe in the power of god. I bet God is sooo insulted! I wish I could walk around and greet my fellow mobilians with no money and a smile on my face.

Jan Hines I think Nodine better Pray for himself,sounds like a drug deal @ Spot of tea.Was he exiting w/ to go food or empty handed?

David Ayers Sounds like he is lobbying for "political votes" and "sympathy votes" for the jury pool.

Michele Rumpf I'm going to throw up!

John B. French If you are ever looking for God, try jail-they all seem to find him there..

Deborah York Geiger I'm praying I don't throw up!

Debbie Clolinger I'm with you, Deb. Pass the Pepto.

Lagniappe Nodine was spotted at Griffith Shell this morning filling up his interestingly-named Ford Escape. He was dressed for business and chatting up customers. Boozie Tues 6/22/2010 9:01am

Comments:
Rusty Robinson Funny....I thought he was on house arrest.

Tuesday at 9:02am · LikeUnlike · Flag

Carla Hallman What the hell? I cannot believe this murderer! And we all know he is one! He's got a lot of nerve or is just stupid or a little of both! If I were him, I would not venture out of the house.

Denise Prince-Ezell he is supposed to be on house arrest isnt he?

Mary Watson Gleason Keep a tag on him.. he maybe heading to a party! His receipts to the county shows he knows where one is always happening.

Carla Hallman LOL@ Mary!

Eric Harrelson At least he wasn't at BP.

Carla Hallman LOL@Eric!!! Man you all got some good ones this morning!

Jon De Jean Guess house arrest is pretty much a joke depending on who you are and who you know in this town.

Michele Nolen-Schmidt This story has slow speed chase written all over it

Tonyia A. Percy If you read the release conditions you would know that he has a job and he is being monitored electronlically.

Carla Hallman LOL@Michele!!! I think you are right.

Kelly Self Allen Thought the job fell through

Andie Rogers Bender Pumping gas may be the job.

Michele Rumpf He's going to run! And, who on earth would hire that guy? Hope its not pharmaceutical sales!

Mary Lee McCrory He doesn't have a job. The person who offered it to him retracted the offer because he realized it would be bad for business.

Jennifer McPherson McDonald He's actually chatty? Go in for the exclusive Booz. Everybody talks to you, girlfriend.

Kathy Richardson What is his job?

Kathy Richardson So... he doesn't have a job. Then where was he going?

Cindy Hall McQuillen He's probably trying to buy Lortabs...

Kathy Richardson A belated HAHAHAHAHAHA!

The presumption of innocence is a courtroom rule – not a real world mandate. We can make our own judgments on the people we meet and the information we receive. We’d be fools not to. We all have to care about being fair in the courtroom. But erring on the side of caution in public I think is the better option.

I wouldn’t contribute to Nodine’s defense just as I would never recommend any of my friends date him (or O.J. Simpson).

Federal prosecutors list lab technicians, Stephen Nodine's doctors as witnesses
Published: Friday, July 02, 2010, 4:01 PM by Brendan Kirby, Press-Register

clipped for length:
MOBILE, Ala. -- Federal prosecutors plan to call a pair of doctors and three laboratory technicians as witnesses against former Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine, according to a document filed in court today.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/flist_as_lab_technicians_nodin.html

mobile-county-deputy-sheriff-badgejpg-936f77a160a3c745_large.jpg

Former sheriff: Shield allegedly flashed by Stephen Nodine was 'nothing badge'

Published: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 5:32 AM

Brendan Kirby, Press-Register

clipped for length:
Of the allegations that have been leveled at former Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine over the past couple of months, among the most unusual is that he flashed a badge at some people who were trying to stop his abusive behavior.

It was one of the allegations that formed the basis of impeachment charges brought by a Mobile County grand jury in May.

Nodine, who also stands accused of murder in the May 9 shooting death of Gulf Shores real estate broker Angel Downs, resigned rather than fight impeachment.

The bill of impeachment made references to two incidents -- one in New Orleans and one in Baldwin County -- when Nodine reportedly flashed a badge to stop people from intervening in confrontations he had with Downs.

Downs, herself, referred to the badge in an e-mail exchange with Nodine that Baldwin County prosecutors included in a court filing.

"You use your badge as a tool or power trip when out in public ... you abuse your powers," Downs wrote in an e-mail on Nov. 10.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin
Back