Lyons Sisters Media and Document Links **NO DISCUSSION**

As far as I know my parents have no pictures of him at all. He had real short hair and was graying on the sides and top quite a bit. He did have a face that kind of revealed his Irish descent. I seem to remember his face was somewhat red in the few times I saw him in 74-75. I think that must have come from his excessive drinking. I also can not remember the car he was driving. But from my memory. I want to say he used to drive an early 70's Chevrolet. He always wore darker color (blue,gray,brown) suits. I always remember whenever I saw him he used to have his dress shirt and tie a bit loose so that it showed a white t-shirt underneath. But that was when he was sitting down and talking.
I did also find out that Casey grew up in DC and in the 1940's attended Gonzaga and also Coolidge High Schools. I also found out that he graduated from Duquense University in Pittsburgh Pa. I do also know his oldest son is an eye doctor in Raleigh NC. Though I do not think there was ever much communication between Casey and his kids after the 1970's. Before his divorce, he and his family had lived in Potomac in the the early 70's on a street I believe is called Goya Drive.
My dad did a follow up with the police in the 1970's. From what the police told my dad is that they thoroughly checked Casey out and could not hold him because they were unable to find any evidence to link him.
Though the tape recorder was a quite popular gadget during that period. I still think it odd that he used to carry one around in his briefcase.
I did call the Montgomery County Police in Feb and spoke to a detective. He said he would pass on the info to the detectives in charge. I also told him I was posting info here on websleuths. Maybe if Casey is still alive they will go and re-interview him and if he was in fact involved he will now tell them.

If this helps to anyone who may remember seeing TRM. If it was Bob Casey. I seem to remember him having blue eyes and very short hair that was mainly turning gray. Of the two sketches released by the Montgomery County Police. The one of the right looks somewhat similar to Casey.

This article is pretty much a paraphrase of one of my earlier case summaries. It appeared in January of this year both on line and in print form.

Since this is a copy of a story I wrote about ten years ago, I have taken the liberty of inserting some clarifications and corrections in Parrens ( ). Richard

-------------------------------------------------
WashingtonExaminer.com
Lyon sisters disappearance remains a mystery
Scott McCabe smccabe@washingtonexaminer.com
Posted: 01/31/2010 9:00 PM

Thirty-five years ago, Sheila Lyon, 12, and her 10-year-old sister, Katherine, walked to a Wheaton shopping center to get some pizza. They haven't been seen since.

Their disappearance was the top story for months in the D.C. media, and led to one of the largest police investigations in the area's history.

The girls were the daughters of John Lyon, a well-known radio personality on WMAL.

On March 25, 1975, the sisters were on spring break from school and wanted to go to Wheaton Plaza and have lunch at the Orange Bowl Restaurant, about a half-mile from their Kensington home.

With $4 in their pockets, the girls left at 11 a.m. promised to be home by 4 p.m. (Actually they left home about 11:30 AM and intended to return by 3:00 PM.)

When they do not come home, the family contacted the Montgomery County police.

Witnesses said the sisters were seen speaking to a gray-haired man carrying a briefcase and tape recorder.

There were other children around and he was letting the children speak into the microphone. (This is somewhat misleading. There were many other children in the mall that day, but the witness saw ONLY Sheila and Katherine talking to the man with the tape recorder and microphone.)

Police released a sketch of the man and began receiving reports that he had been seen around other shopping centers approaching young girls and asking them to read an answering machine message typed on an index card into his hand-held microphone.

The governor summoned the Maryland National Guard to join in the search. On the advice of a Dutch psychic, more than 100 guardsman walked shoulder to shoulder through the thick brush of Rock Creek Park without any luck. The search expanded into a nationwide effort, and the National Enquirer offered a reward.

Police chased down hundreds of leads, including one from a witness in Manassas who reported seeing the girls bound in a station wagon. The witness followed the car until it ran a red light and sped off.

Several callers claimed to be holding the girls and demanded ransoms. One man demanded that John Lyon leave $10,000 inside a courthouse restroom, but the ransom was never claimed.

The girls have never been found and their case remains unsolved.

Anyone with information on the case should call the Montgomery County Police Cold Case Squad at 240-773-5070.

Source:

WashingtonExaminer.com : Lyon sisters disappearance remains a mystery

LINK:

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/dce...il.htm?contentguid=Wud6C3I8&full=true#display

A previous post above contains a link to the WUSATV9 website and article about the Lyon Sisters being missing for 35 years.

If you click on that link, and scroll all the way down to the reader comments section, you will see a post by a person called Raiders2010. The poster claims to have been one of the last eyewitnesses to have seen the girls on the afternoon of 25 March 1975.

I will not repost that person's comments to avoid any copyright problems, but will summarize briefly.

He describes himself as the neighborhood boy who spoke briefly with them on their way home from the mall. He says that he had been in the same grade as Sheila at Newport Middle School and knew both girls from having seen them the previous summer at Kenmont Swimming Pool.

You can read his comments at the following link:

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_artic...?storyid=98861

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_article.aspx?storyid=98861http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_article.aspx?storyid=98861

they ran the same request on 6/10/10. interesting. i wonder what kind of info they received.

Yes, I'm curious too! Goes w/o saying, obviously something they want to follow-up on further... nice to see they are actively taking information they receive seriously.

Sheila May Lyon Missing 25 March 1975

Case Information
Status Missing
First name Sheila
Middle name Mary
Last name Lyon

NCMEC number 793205
Date LKA March 25, 1975 - 00:00
Date entered April 10, 2009
Age LKA 12 to 13 years old
Age now 48 years old
Race White
Sex Female
Height 62.0 inches
Weight 100.0 pounds

Circumstances
City Wheaton
State Maryland
County Montgomery
Circumstances
Sheila and her younger sister, Katherine, left their home by themselves to walk to Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center and have not been seen or heard from since.

Physical Characteristics
Hair color Blond/Strawberry
Left eye color Blue
Right eye color Blue
Eye description Sheila wears eyeglasses.
No known distinctive body features

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing

Underpants - bright yellow, sort of accordian pleated, bikini type, size 12-14, brand unknown
Bra - training type, brand "Teenform" "Lucky Start," size 32
Knee socks - nylon, bright horozontal stripes, possbily orange or bright gold in them
Corduroy pants - cut in the jeans style, wheat colored, brand "Cheap Jeans," rip in back of right thigh, repaired with ironing patch on wrong side
Dark blue sweatshirt - bright navy color, unknown size or brand
(Note early news reports stated that she may have been wearing a flower print shirt, perhaps under the dark blue sweat shirt)
Footwear Sneakers - low cut, dirty white shoe strings, "Gallenkamps" brand size 6 1/2 or 7 1/2

Jewelry not known
(Note she had pierced ears and may have worn small stud or ball earrings)

Eyewear Gold wire rim glasses - farsighted

Dental
Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Police Information
Jurisdiction County Montgomery
Agency Montgomery County Police Department
City Rockville
State Maryland
Zip code 20850
Phone 240-773-5070
Case number W514579

Source:

NamUs - National Missing Persons Data System - Sheila Lyon - MP # 1836

LINK:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1836/0

Katherine Mary Lyon missing 25 March 1975

Case Information

Status Missing
First name Katherine
Middle name Mary
Last name Lyon
Nickname/Alias Kate
NCMEC number 793205
Date LKA March 25, 1975
Date entered April 10, 2009
Age LKA 10 to 11 years old
Age now 46 years old
Race White
Sex Female
Height 56.0 inches
Weight 85.0 pounds

Circumstances

City Wheaton
State Maryland
County Montgomery

Circumstances Katherine and her older sister, Sheila, left their home by themselves to walk to Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center and have not been seen or heard from since.

Physical Characteristics

Hair color Blond/Strawberry
Left eye color Blue
Right eye color Blue

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing
Underpants - "Carter" brand or "Montgomery Ward," flowered, size 8 or 10
Possibly sleevless undershirt - girl type, possibly size 12, brand unknown
Jeans - "Wrangler" brand, flare bottom, size 12 (blue denim)
Jacket - bright red, flat knit on outside, inside fluffy (like sweatshirt) no collar, zipper up front
Knee socks - dark brown and beige "Argyles", nylon
(Note: early news reports state she was wearing a gold turtleneck shirt under her red knit jacket)

Footwear Shoes - brushed suede "Wallaby" type, brand name inside "Jumping Jacks", dirty beige color shoe and shoe strings

Jewelry Baby beads "KATE" in black letters on white beads, remainder of beads were orange
(Note: Kate was also known to wear numerous rings on her fingers.)

Dental
Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Police Information
Jurisdiction County Montgomery
Agency Montgomery County Police Department
City Rockville
State Maryland
Zip code 20850
Phone 240-773-5070
Case number W514579

Source:

NamUs - National Missing Persons Data System - Katherine Lyon - MP # 1837

LINK:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1837/0

Here are some news stories published in the Washington Post Newspaper in April 1975 concerning the reported sighting of a 1968 Beige or Tan Ford Station Wagon.

Keep in mind that these stories were written based on police press conferences during the time of the initial investigation, just two weeks after the girls disappeared.

These three articles describe the car only as a 1968 beige Ford station wagon, and discuss the search by police for the Maryland tag DMT-6xx. The tags would have been white with three red letters, a space and then three red numbers.

The witness is described in the first article as a "corporation executive" and in the third article as "an IBM employee".

Note: The girls were ages 12 and 10 when they went missing on 25 March 1975. The ages stated for the girls as 13 and 11 in these articles were because their birthdays had occurred at the end of March just days after they went missing.

--------------------------

Lyon Sisters Possibly Seen in Auto
By Donald P. Baker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, 8 April 1975 Page A1

A report by a Prince William County man that he saw two young girls bound and gagged in teh rear of a moving station wagon early yesterday in Manassas "raised some optimism" that the missing Lyon sisters are alive, Montgomery County Police said last night.

Area police said last night said they were looking for a beige 1968 Ford station wagon with 1975 Maryland tags, the first four digits of which, police said, are DMT-6. The car's driver was described as resembling a man being sought for questioning in the Lyon case. The witness who saw the car said the last two numbers on the license plate were obscured because the tag was bent, police said.

The search was somewhat hampered, police said, because Maryland motor vehicle records for 1975 tags - the first new ones issued in five years - have not yet been collated and placed on a computer. As a result, police were required to search records by hand for the 100 different possible combinations of numbers.

(Continued on page A 4) 2 Lyon Girls Believed Seen in Auto in Virginia

Last night police reported that none of about a dozen station wagons issued license tags starting DMT-6 could have been the one spotted in Manassas.

Police then began a check expected to take all night, to determine whether any DMT-6 license plates have been stolen.

The reported sighting of the two girls occurred at 7:30 a.m. at the corner of Grant and Center Streets in Manassas by a man identified by Montgomery police only as a "reliable citizen, a corporation executive". Montgomery police said the witness told them he saw one girl raise her head above the window in the rear, and a second girl on the floor. Police said the witness said both girls were tied.

Police said that when the witness tried to get a better look, the driver spotted him and sped off, through a red light, headed west on Rte. 244 toward Interstate 66.

Cpl. Phil Caswell of the Montgomery County police, said the witness was interviewed at juvenile aid headquarters in Wheaton for several hours yesterday afternoon and that detectives were convinced that "what he saw was true. The validity of the sighting checking out positively."
"What we don't know," added Caswell, "is whether the girls he saw were the Lyon sisters."

Capt. Gabriel LeMastra, chief of the Montgomery police juvenile division, said the girls' parents, John and Mary Lyon of xxxx Plyers Mill Rd., Kensington, were notified by police that "it's a possibility" that the report meant that their daughters were alive.

Sheila Mary Lyon, 13, and her sister, Katherine Mary, 11, last were seen two weeks ago today, at the Wheaton Plaza shopping center, one-half mile from their home. They were last seen talking to a man with a tape recorder in a briefcase who was described as well-dressed, white, about 50, with gray and black hair.

The driver of the car seen in Manassas yesterday resembled that description, police said.

Since the girls' disappearance, police have checked out literally thousands of reports that the man or the girls, or both, were sighted at various locations throughout the metropolitan area. Police said last night that yesterday's report was "the most hopeful yet."

The check of the license plate numbers was complicated by the fact that Maryland's tag numbers are not distributed on a geographic basis, so the plates in question "could be registered in Cumberland or Hagerstown or Baltimore," LeMastra said.

Cpl. Caswell, a public affairs officer, said "good leads" were being checked by personal visits to the homes of vehicle owners throughout the state.

Since the girls disappearance March 25, police have concentrated on tracking down known sex offenders and men reported seen interviewing young girls on tape recorders at several area shopping centers. There has been no effort by a kidnapper to collect a ransom, police said, and they consider very remote the possibility that the girls ran away from home.

---------------------------------------------

No New Solid Leads Seen in Lyon Search
Washington Post Page A 16
Wednesday, April, 9, 1975

The Search for the missing Lyon sisters entered its third week last night with Montgomery County police reporting no new solid leads. The girls, Sheila, 13, and Katherine, 11, were last seen March 25 at the Wheaton Plaza shopping center, about half a mile from their home in Kensington.

A report that the girls were seen, bound and gagged, in the back seat of a 1968 biege Ford station wagon in Manassas early Monday touched off thousands of tips, including sightings throughout the metropolitan area.

Police said last night that they had found neither the car nor the license tag, reported as a 1975 Maryland plate reading at least DMT-6.

Police Widen Search for 2 Md. Girls
Washington Post Page C-2-4
Thursday, April 10, 1975

Montgomery County police continued with what detective Les Cook called "old fashioned police work" yesterday in the search for the missing Lyon sisters.

There have been no new sightings of the girls, Sheila, 13, and Katherine, 11, since an IBM employee told police he saw two girls bound and gagged in a car at a Manassas intersection at 7:30 a.m. Monday.

The man told Prince William County police that the girls were in the back seat of a 1968 beige Ford station wagon bearing a 1975 Maryland license tag with the beginning prefix DMT-6. The last two numbers were obscured because the plate was bent, the man said.

Montgomery County police said last night that they had nearly completed the check of all possible Maryland plates with that sequence of letters and were beginning to check with other states, including North Carolina, Florida, and Colorado which have similarly colored red and white plates using combinations of three letters and thee numbers.

The girls, daughters of WMAL radio announcer John Lyon and his wife, Mary, were last seen March 25 at the Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center, about half a mile from their home in Kensington.

Article linking Fred Coffey to the Missing Lyon Sisters:

----------------------------

Lead Found To Missing Lyon Girls; N.C. Convict Linked To Wheaton Plaza

Washington Post
Friday, March 13, 1987

A sex crime investigation that began last year in rural Southwest Virginia led Montgomery County police yesterday to announce their "most promising lead" in the county's longest-running police investigation-the unsolved 1975 disappearance of the Lyon sisters.

The Lyons, daughters of prominent radio disc jockey John Lyon of WMAL, were last seen March 25, 1975, after walking from their Kensington home to the Wheaton Plaza shopping center to look at Easter exhibits and have lunch. They never returned.

Police said yesterday that the disappearance of 12-year-old Sheila Lyon and her 10-year-old sister Katherine may be linked to a Virginia man, now in custody in North Carolina, …

LINK:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1311106.html

WMAL Fires John Lyon

The Washington Post
Article date: June 5, 1990
Author: Jeffrey Yorke

John Lyon's 22-year career at personality-oriented middle-of-the-road WMAL-AM (630) came to an abrupt end following his 3 p.m. sign-off Friday, and so may have the station's last-of-a-kind personality-driven, middle-of-the-road format. Two talk shows, including that of nationally syndicated conservative host Rush Limbaugh, will replace Lyon in the midday slot.

Program Director Michael Neff said Lyon's firing and the added talk programming were "a natural part of WMAL's continuing evolution into an issue-oriented, topic-driven radio." Neff said that "our future as an AM radio leader is going to be in issue-oriented information programs," but he refused to describe WMAL solely as …

... 1975 disappearance of the Lyon sisters. The Lyons, daughters of ...

... The girls, daughters of WMAL radio disc jockey John Lyon, were walking home to ...

LINK:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1130600.html

Chris Core, former host of WMAL's "The Chris Core Show," is now a daily commentator on WTOP (103.5 FM) and a show host on XM Radio's POTUS '08 (Channel 130).

Chris began his job with WMAL (AM) radio in February 1975, only a month before the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine LYON. They were the daughters of John Lyon, who was a radio announcer at WMAL, and whom Chris Core got to know well. Chris is very familiar with the Lyon Sisters' case on a very personal level and has been interviewed on the subject in the past.

This 2008 Article by Chris Core appeared in the Washington Post. Although he does not mention John Lyon or his missing daughters, he does speak about the history of and the changes to WMAL over the past decades.

John Lyon was fired from WMAL in 1990 and replaced by the Rush Limbaugh syndicated show. In 2008, Chris Core was fired for similar reasons regarding changes in WMAL radio programming.

The Real Scoop on Why I Lost My Show
By Chris Core
Sunday, May 25, 2008

On Friday, Feb. 29, (2008) I walked out of the studio at WMAL radio much as I had for the past 33 years, on a post-show high. I had just finished a passionate discussion on race relations with my audience. The phones had been jammed for the past two hours and were still ringing when I signed off. Now my producer said that the boss wanted to see me. Not an unusual occurrence, but as soon as I entered his office and saw his face, I knew that this wasn't going to be an ordinary conversation.

Chris Berry, the general manager, told me that the parent company of WMAL, Citadel Broadcasting, had ordered nationwide cutbacks. Five people at WMAL, including the news director, the national sales manager and me, had to be terminated immediately, as did the entire on-air staff of our sister station WJZW. I was shocked at the suddenness with which this happened. But I wasn't totally surprised. I'd kind of seen it coming.

The business model for radio, like all other media today, has changed and become more competitive over the years. Just as cable diluted the television market, the rise of FM and eventually satellite radio has increased listeners' choices. Add the Internet to the mix, and radio stations have to either evolve from their traditional ways or wither. WMAL made some costly choices over the years.

When I joined it in February 1975, it was a full-service station at its peak. The show I first worked on as a news and sports reporter, "Harden and Weaver," had a 25 share, meaning that one-fourth of the D.C. area population listened to it. Thirty-three years later, the WMAL morning show, the terrific "Grandy and Andy," is attracting a 3.6 share and the top-rated station a 9.1. To be fair, there are now many more stations on the air for listeners to choose from. Double-digit shares are a thing of the past. Still, for the three decades I was at WMAL, I saw a steady decline in audience.

Part of the problem was signal. WMAL rose to prominence for two reasons: the strength of its local personalities and its great AM signal, which could be heard clearly in all parts of the Washington metropolitan area. FM radio at that time was merely an afterthought. Not knowing what to do with it, WTOP sold its FM signal (now WHUR) to Howard University for exactly $1. WMAL-FM (now Mix 107.3) filled air time with recorded jazz programs. But as the area kept growing, broadcasters knew that they had to come up with a way to get their signals to the outer suburbs....

(Much more at link below.)

... I left WMAL with no bitterness, honestly. I had a great run. But I'm just a small example of what's happening to people all over the country as our economy changes. Good companies that think beyond today's bottom line and plan for the future will survive. The cut-costs-at-all costs companies will not. The free market works. But smart capitalism is a Core value.

Source:

The Real Scoop on Why I Lost My Show - washingtonpost.com

LINK:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/23/AR2008052302450.html

This Associated Press (AP) article was printed in the Baltimore Sun on Saturday, 4 April 1975.

Note that they quote heavily from a Washington Star article about the interview with "Jimmy" which appeared the day before.

Accompanying this article, on page C-18 of the Sun, was the second TRM sketch. It was marked "PFC D. Morton" and "JAB #2". It retained the same date as the origional sketch which was 28 March 1975, and only a few parts of the origional sketch appear to have been altered - mostly around the chin and mouth.

The caption under the sketch reads: "New police drawing of man last seen with girls."

Note that in this article, the girls ages are stated as 13 and 11, because their birthdays had just passed.

Also, note that the reference about four women calling police on "Wednesday night" meant that they had seen the origional sketch in newspapers and TV and had come forward before the Washington Star interview with "Jimmy" was published.

The article text:
---------------------------------------------------------------

Police make new composite in search for Lyon sisters

Kensington, Md. (AP)

- Montgomery County police said yesterday they have prepared a new compsite drawing of a man with a tape recorder being sought in connection with the search for the missing Lyon sisters.

Sheila Lyon, 13, and her sister, Katherine, 11, have been missing for nine days. They were last seen at the Wheaton Plaza shopping center.

PFC Davis Morton, a robbery squad detective who prepares composites, said four women called police Wednesday night and said they recognized the man in the sketch. They offered to help prepare a new composite.

"I showed the composite to the four women separately and it seemed to be basically the guy they had seen," he said. "They suggested a few minor changes .... Sometimes you're close and sometimes you're way off but I feel better about this one because of the other witnesses."

The origional sketch was drawn from a description supplied by a 13-year-old boy, a friend of the Lyon girls. The boy's name has not been made public at the request of his parents who say they fear retaliation. The Washington Star published an interview with the boy yesterday, referring to him only as Jimmy, which is not his real name.

"It was about 1 or 2 o'clock" Jimmy said. "I was out with a friend. We were down near ... um ... Peoples Drug Store and the Orange Bowl Pizza carryout and we saw the two girls talking to a man with a tape recorder."

"I heard the man ask one question; 'Are any of you two involved in sports?'

"And the... um ... 30 seconds later I looked back. He was walking away toward Ward's (Montgomery Ward's) and the girls were walking the other way toward the fountain," he said.

Jimmy said when he first saw the man he thought he looked like a reporter and "we were joking around that maybe we should go over there and get him to interview us."

"The man was holding a microphone in his hand between the girls and asking questions," he said. "He had a tan briefcase on the ground. It was one of those hard ones that sat up."

Jimmy said the tape recorder was next to the man, outside the briefcase.
He said the man was well dressed in a brown suit and that he had never seen him before or since.

From the Washington Post Thursday 17 April 1975 Page C-1

----------------------------------
Police Give New Data on Lyon Sisters

By Alice Bonner
Washington Post Staff Writer

Montgomery County Police reported yesterday that the missing Lyon Sisters were seen at 2:30 p.m.or later on March 25, walking in the general direction of their Kensington home. Police previously said the girls had been last seen the same day at 1 p.m. at Wheaton Plaza Shopping center.

Police information officer Phillip Caswell said the later sighting of the girls is important because "it leads us to believe they weren"t taken from the shopping center as might originally have been suspected."

Although police said the information came last week from a teen-aged friend of 13-year-old Sheila Lyon, Caswell said they withheld it until yesterday in order to verify its reliability.

The youth, police said, told them he was riding with one other person in a car going west on Drumm Avenue near the shopping center when he saw the girls, Sheila and her sister Katherine, 11, also walking west between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. on March 25, the day they were last seen.

Drumm Avenue west-bound leads away from the shopping center. Police said the friend saw the girls near Devin Street, about three blocks from the shopping center and about a half a mile from their home at xxxx Plyers Mill Rd. He told police the girls were alone and "just walking normally along the roadway". The youth was identified only as "over 15 years old."

The witness did not come forward sooner, Caswell said, because reports that the girls had been seen in that area later in the evening by another person made him believe his information was insignificant, according to police. Police have since virtually discounted that report.

Caswell said the new tip has not sparked any further searches of the plaza area, because that section was repeatedly searched after the girls' disappearance. Police said they have, however, asked residents of the area to check storage sheds, boats and other enclousures for evidence that the Lyon sisters might have been there .

Caswell said the new information does not rule out continued investigation of reports that a man carrying a tape recorder was seen talking to the girls at the shopping center about 1 p.m. that day, or reports last week that two girls were seen bound and gagged in the back of a moving station wagon near Manassas, Va.

Caswell said detectives are "95 per cent sure" that this latest witness saw the girls. Police seem to give less credibility to another youth's earlier report that he saw them at about 7:30 p.m. that evening at an intersection near the plaza.

I started this "News Reports, Articles, and Links" thread in 2007 after the Lyon Sisters' Case became a Websleuths featured topic. The origional thread is the long one started simply as a thread in the Cold Case section by jollegirl in 2004.

The article or case summary that you are looking for is probably in that very long thread.

Search Dogs were called in to look for the girls several days after they went missing. I do not recall what specifics of that search were reported in that article, but I recall that the dogs seemed to pick up the girls' scent, but shortly afterward lost it. It was also stated that the dog handler did not have a direction (track) on the girls. That is, he did not know which direction the girls were moving in when they left their scent. The dogs did not locate any forensic evidence, nor did they find the girls or any sign of them.

The parking lot of Wheaton Plaza (then and now) extends completely around the stores. It is bordered by University Blvd on the north and Viers Mill Road on the east. There are two vehicle entrances from each road. A perimeter road runs around the entire parking lot area. To the west and south is the residential area of Kensington, MD.

If the article mentioned a hill, it could have been referring to the area between the back of Wards and the end of Faulkner Road, since you have to walk slightly down hill when walking the foot path into Kensington. It is also possible that a hill could be the slight uphill hike you make from the intersection of Drumm and McComas as you move toward Plyers Mill Road.

The only stream that I know of is the stream which feeds into the Nursing home pond near the beginning of the "foot path throught the wooded area". Perhaps that is the stream mentioned in the article, but I do not know for certain.

Tracking Dog reference:

Here is an excerpt from a 3 April 1975 Washington Star front page article. This was actually nine days after the girls went missing. The entire article can be seen in my post number 2 of the thread titled "Tape Recorder Man".

The quote appears at the very end of the story about "Jimmy's" only interview with the news media. The story states that the dogs were there for two days, so it was probable that the previous day's news story was about the Philadelphia tracking dogs searching the Mall and residential area.

Note that this means it took the police a full week before the dogs were brought in.

(quote)
... After eight tense days, the investigation of the Lyon girls' disappearance is settling into the tiring, colorless and seemingly endless routine of tracking down one fruitless lead after another - remembering, the police often note, that it may take only one good lead to resolve the mystery.

Yesterday, specially trained tracking dogs from Philadelphia spent the morning sniffing the area behind Oakland Terrace Elementary School and Newport Junior High, where the girls are students, in a re-check of an area officers already have searched twice.

Police said the dogs turned up nothing. Their two day role in the continuing drama ended as have so many apparently hopeful starts - quietly, uneventfully, sadly.

"We don't have anything," one officer said yesterday. "We're right back where we started."
(unquote)

LINK:

"Tape Recorder Man" - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member