CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new ear/ons book is now out, mostly covers all the rapes. Written by Larry Crompton who was a detective on the rape task force. Worth buying, but could have had more about the murders.

http://ear-ons.com/SuddenTerror.html

Thanks for posting Colette. I agree, a more comprehensive look at EAR/ONS would be more interesting. One of the more interesting things about him is you can see the evolution of a serial killer - starting presumably as the Ransacker, graduating to the East Area Rapist and finally as a full-blown killer, Original Night Stalker.

There is a thread about this guy but it never got much attention. I am going to venture to say it was because of the title of the thread; no one knew what ear-ons met. The first thing i thought of were plastic Vulcan ears. If a mod could merge the two threads that would be great.

Anyway, I have always been fascinated by this case. This guy is one of the most prolific serial rapists and killers in US history. He is especially interesting because you can see the evolution of a killer. He started out as "The Ransacker" where he would just break into people's homes and go through their stuff, then he escalated to rape and ultimately he escalated into a full fledged serial killer primarily targeting couples. It is obvious he stalked his victims before he attacked and he often kept up with them over the years by calling his rape victims and threatening them. He typically picked homes in a middle-class neighborhoods close to fields or ravines. It is thought he probably rode a bike to and from his crimes. When acting as the ONS he would bind the man and woman, sometimes forcing the man to bind his own wife and watch while she was raped. He killed his victims in a variety of ways. Some were bludgeoned to death while others were shot.

One of the creepier things this guy did was target a man who stood up during a town hall meeting expressing his doubt that one man could subdue another man and his wife. A few weeks later that very man was targeted, his wife raped, himself murdered. The EAR/ONS was at that town-hall meeting.

The one phone call he made to one of his rape victims was recorded on an answering machine. It is seriously creepy. It is in the link below.

It was not established until 2001 that the East Area Rapists and The Original Night Stalker were the same person. The crimes were linked through DNA. An astute detective assigned to the EAR always had a feeling his guy had moved to a different area and had graduated into a serial killer and he was right.

This is a great website with everything you ever wanted to know about EAR/ONS:
http://www.ear-ons.com/index2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Night_Stalker

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85498&highlight=ear-ons (original thread that went dead)

http://www.redding.com/news/2006/sep/30/killer-linked-to-area-investigator-follows-trail/

Snippet from the last article you posted:

In 2001, the San Francisco Chronicle quoted retired Sacramento County sheriff's detective Richard Shelby as saying the rapist called one of his victims in 1990 or 1991.

Shelby told reporters the victim heard children in the background and a woman speaking, possibly indicating the rapist had a family.

This guy is exceptionally creepy! I grew up in Contra Costa County, later living in Sacramento. I remember reading and hearing about all of these cases. LE always warned not to leave any doors or windows unlocked.

It is truly amazing the number of serial killers in the US. Scary, very scary. I went to American River College. A student had been killed. I often wondered if the EBR was responsible.

I also remember when I was in Junior High and we were not allowed outside for PR due to threats that the zodiac was going to kill students. Those were scary times for sure.

I REALLY wish I had NOT listened to that recording!

Snippet from the last article you posted:

In 2001, the San Francisco Chronicle quoted retired Sacramento County sheriff's detective Richard Shelby as saying the rapist called one of his victims in 1990 or 1991.

Shelby told reporters the victim heard children in the background and a woman speaking, possibly indicating the rapist had a family.

This guy is exceptionally creepy! I grew up in Contra Costa County, later living in Sacramento. I remember reading and hearing about all of these cases. LE always warned not to leave any doors or windows unlocked.

It is truly amazing the number of serial killers in the US. Scary, very scary. I went to American River College. A student had been killed. I often wondered if the EBR was responsible.

I also remember when I was in Junior High and we were not allowed outside for PR due to threats that the zodiac was going to kill students. Those were scary times for sure.

I REALLY wish I had NOT listened to that recording!

Thanks for posting. How scary to have been in the area and having the Zodiac on top of that!!!! Whew! Any victims in your immediate near your home?

I am reading the new book out about this case. Very readable and concise.

Zodiac murders occured very close to where I grew up. Some of the places I had even been to with my family or friends. It was truly a scary time! One of our neighbors worked at an independent newspaper in Contra Costa. Someone claiming to be the zodiac called the paper a few times, but they could never prove if it was him of course.

Has anyone read "Sudden Terror" by Larry Crompton? Crompton was the Sherrif of Contra Costa County during the height of the EAR attacks.

ref=sib_dp_pt

I'm very tempted to order it but I would like some feedback on it. For some reason I'm feeling drawn back into this case...

Surprizingly well written, lays it out pretty well. He "keeps to the facts", doesn't offer a lot of analysis. In the end, he doesn't solve it and he doesn't offer up any good suspects.

I have been trying to read up on the AEtv board about this case and gather some information since I tend to obsess over this case. I'm really curious to know if there is a concensus about the age of EAR-ONS. When listening to that answering machine recording, it has always struck me that that voice sounds very young. Potentially meaning that EAR-ONS would have been no older than 17-18 when he began his crime spree. And maybe earlier if the Visalia ransacker is the same perp (and I believe he was).

That would mean that EAR-ONS is no older than his early 50's. There is still a very good chance of catching this guy. Which leads me to my next inquiry. It has been speculated by profiler or two that he is either dead or incarcerated for a lesser crime (than murder). Because he would be unable to stop. But I wonder, if he was silent for 6 years or more and then called an old victime in or around 1991 wouldn't that lend credence to the idea that he perhaps just stopped and wanted to do that for old times sake?

I guess my point is, I do not think he's dead or incarcerated. I believe that LE in California has probably scoured the books on similar profiles of inmates and done DNA tests etc all for nothing. Which makes me totally think he's out there, he regressed into suburbia. Which is terrifying. He's someone's neighbor, father.

The way to catch him is to keep the story out there. I have not doubt he still lives out there somewhere in Cali..he's there, just have to find him.

I'm really curious to know if there is a concensus about the age of EAR-ONS. When listening to that answering machine recording, it has always struck me that that voice sounds very young. Potentially meaning that EAR-ONS would have been no older than 17-18 when he began his crime spree.
I agree with you that the voice sounds like that of a younger man. Maybe this has been discussed already (I haven't looked at this case in a while), but how are the police so sure this caller is the real thing and not some teenage crank caller?
My feeling is that the ONS is a somewhat older and more experienced perp (at least late-20s, 30s, perhaps as old as 40s), because how else could he repeatedly be so successful in incapacitating a couple - a woman and a man? Surely one of the mature male victims in the ONS cases would have said to himself, "This is just a kid with a knife; I can take him out. I sure won't let him tie me up".

I agree with you that the voice sounds like that of a younger man. Maybe this has been discussed already (I haven't looked at this case in a while), but how are the police so sure this caller is the real thing and not some teenage crank caller?
My feeling is that the ONS is a somewhat older and more experienced perp (at least late-20s, 30s, perhaps as old as 40s), because how else could he repeatedly be so successful in incapacitating a couple - a woman and a man? Surely one of the mature male victims in the ONS cases would have said to himself, "This is just a kid with a knife; I can take him out. I sure won't let him tie me up".

You make a great point. I guess I just figure that when awoken out of a deep sleep with a gun in my face I'll pretty much stop and listen.

I seem to recall hearing/reading that victims did confirm that it was his voice on the tape, for sure. And that he seemed to be trying to disguise his voice.

Absolutely Incredible.

First time reading about this case. Ten years over 60 plus victims, including 10 or more murders. Committed by the same man over a ten year period. And DNA evidence like i have never seen before!

Ive read some, watched some videos, and listen to the recorded phone conversation.

The phone conversation, i would say though speculating it was him. I think the whole tape was not released, and he say something in the beginning to let her know it was him without a doubt. Plus there were3 others, whom recognized the voice as the Demon. I believe them!

But this article if true from the following link.

http://www.redding.com/news/2006/sep/30/killer-linked-to-area-investigator-follows-trail/

...quote...
Detectives hosted town hall meetings after the Sacramento rapes to address residents' concerns. At one meeting, a man stood up and boldly proclaimed that he could protect his wife from the rapist, Whitmeyer said.
The couple were the rapist's next victims, Whitmeyer said.
...End of quote...
Coincidence?

I wonder what the odds would be on that?
That his next victims would include the man whom mentioned the above. Could it have happened by chance? Perhaps.

But i think more then likely he was there, at that meeting, and took what the man said personally. And decided to follow them after the meeting, to see where they lived if he did not know that already?

He picked those areas, because he was more comfortable in these types of areas, because he may had grownup and or lived/lives in an area such as his victims all his life. And knew how to blend in, and act in public while stalking his victims in these neighborhoods. Theirs an outside chance, though only LE would know, if many of the victims knew one another, through a club they belonged to, and church members, or some other social gathering where he could mingle and contemplate possible victims at these gatherings. Especially early on, when there were only single women at home, whom were raped but not killed.

Its just hard for me to believe that they all were just random victims, unknown to the Demon.

This person, when caught if he is still with us in the physical and not already sent to hell, will be someone that was NEVER suspected of being able to do something like this. Some will find it Shocking it was him mentality. Someone now who is a pastor, or a outstanding member of the community, or even a long time boy stout member, to use as examples.

This person talked about the crimes like everyone else was at the time. But never drew suspicion towards themselves to be caught and charged. Hes not lucky, Hes just EVIL!

I read the poem. The reason they never could find anything on it, is because it was a poem about himself, victims and other things from what i could tell.

He Loved the terror he created! To see the horror being felt in his victims eyes, and tears, when pleading for there lives. He enjoyed the created terror more then the rapes or murders themselves.

What a Monster!

Add on 1...
I believe hes more towards the age of 60 or so now.
And lived in the area at the time most of the crimes were committed that was linked to him with DNA.
He always seemed to know where to go etc, to avoid capture even when chased in these neighborhoods.
Since several of the crimes, especially rapes early on occurred during early morning hours. If he did hold a regular job, he may have been working a second shift job, which enabled him to plan and attack while the victims were asleep. He always seemed to know when they would be asleep and so forth.

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART.
NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

I had wondered if EAR-ONS was responsible for the murder of Patricia Neufeld in Garden Grove, CA on November 22, 1978. There are similarities between the cases and (according to http://www.ear-ons.com/crimes.html) there weren't any EAR-ONS attacks in the Sacramento area from November 5, 1978 until the early morning of December 2, 1978.

I live in Sacramento and definitely remember this case. There was a strong rumor (repeat, RUMOR) that the EAR was actually someone in law enforcement who was involved in the investigation. I usually would completely dismiss this idea, but an interesting dynamic is in play with this case - retired local LE who were active while this was ongoing get very confrontational when the case is mentioned in casual conversation. One retired officer told one person, "Do not look into that case - Leave it alone." I find that reaction odd, to say the least.

I do know one citizen who believes to this day that he observed the EAR. The man he says is the EAR was a collector for subscribers to the Sacramento Union, a daily afternoon paper that since folded (and has recently been ressurected as a weekly newpaper). He passed this information to the lead detective on the case, but the detective was killed on-duty about a week later during an unrelated case. The witness does not know if his information ever made it into the case file or if his suspect ever was investigated. He cannot get anyone currently active on this case to verify that they have his info, but they also do not seem that interested in agressively investigating it either.

The sad fact is that Sacramento LE failed to catch this guy and that he "graduated" into a full-fledged serial killer. I do not think that they want to find this guy - they just want everyone to forget about it. Capturing him today will only point out their past failure.

Since your friend was not successful with Sacramento LE, he should try to pass along the information to Orange County LE. Hopefully they would be more receptive.

**possible tattoo on forearm of bull. Could be a big clue?

Also, I don't hear a sneeze. I just hear him say b.tch several times (I couldnt' tell what he was saying at first, but can see how that maybe sounds like a sneeze) and *advertiser censored* once at the end.
I wonder if the bull tattoo is indicative of him being born under the sign of Taurus or if it has another meaning to the killer?

Original Night Stalker is 'cunning,' 'tactical' serial killer, veteran detective says
May 6, 2011

I haven't followed the 'Original Nightstalker' case at all, but I have seen mention these past couple of days regarding at least this one murder in Goleta thirty years ago.

Snippet:

" A veteran detective who has tracked the "Original Night Stalker" described the serial killer as "cunning" and said he hopes a new break this week will "breathe some life" into the case.

On Thursday, Santa Barbara investigators said they confirmed through DNA testing that the Original Night Stalker was likely responsible for the killing of a Goleta couple three decades ago. That would add to the crimes attributed to the killer that started with dozens of rapes in Northern California and ended with as many as 10 slayings in Santa Barbara, Ventura and Orange counties.

For Larry Pool, a detective with the Orange County Sheriff's Department, finding the Original Night Stalker has become his life's mission."

more...

New article today in my neighborhood paper. These murders were in my town of Dana Point:

New DNA information links two more murders to Original Night Stalker, rekindles memories of two more in Niguel Shores in 1980

As a place for newlyweds to start their life together, Niguel Shores was hard to beat. The year was 1980 and the Harringtons, Keith (24) and Patrice (27), wed a mere three months before, were just settling into their new home. Keith’s dad Roger owned the house and graciously allowed his son and new daughter-in-law to call it home. Keith was a medical student at UCI and Patrice was working as a nurse.
For the young couple, everything was new—the marriage, the home, even the community growing up around them.

Dana Point, as we now know it, didn’t exist. The city wouldn’t even become incorporated for another eight years. But according to records maintained by the city, Dana Point was in the midst of a housing boom. Homes were being built at the fastest pace in the area’s history. During the 1970s and ’80s Dana Point was brimming with new construction. Roughly 5,000 units were built in both decades, the largest number of new homes in the city’s history (the decade between 1990 and 2000 saw only about 150 new homes).

I am not sure if someone discussed this previously (my apologies if they did and this is redundant), but do you think there is possibly a medical angle to this -- Both Keith and Patrice Harrington, Dr. Robert Offerman, and Alexandra Manning worked in the medical field and Manuela Witthuhn's husband was in the hospital when she was murdered. I also read somewhere that prior to the Smiths' homicide, an epileptic on a bicycle drove into Lyman's automobile, but couldn't really find out more about that.

This has been one of my 'pet' interests for a long time but obviously I am slacking as I am just reading about this development. I am so glad to see EAR/ONS getting back into the news, generating new leads, etc.

http://crimevoice.com/dna-begins-to-thaw-night-stalker-case-5654/

This article states the Sanchez's were house-sitting for their friends and didn't actually live in this house - interesting.

It was speculated above how LE was sure the voice on the phone calls and answering machines were really EAR/ONS - I believe the victims positively indentified the voice as the one they heard during the rapes. Also, I doubt the women's names were released publicly so it seems doubtful it could be a prank considering these women were specifically targeted by the caller. It is so creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn