GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have thought about this too.
To be honest, I still haven't come up with any logical explanation for it.
I don't know why he wouldn't have simply thrown this away,
and anything else even remotely associated with this crime,
when he discarded the missing body parts.

This whole thing is bizarre.... There's still many things I can't wrap my head around. :waitasec:

Maybe he was overly confident. Imagine, for one second, THNKING that you can actually get away with murder. Point being: think of how twisted your state of mind would be - it would take A LOT Of confidence. Like " I am way smarter than anyone else." He THOUGHT he could get away with murder.
IMO

Heartbreaking, to say the least.

And, I must say that the Giddings family and Lauren's friends have shown
an amazing amount of respect, self-control and class throughout this ordeal.
My heart truly goes out to them.

Absolutely Supersleuth~
And don't forget GRACE ~ unmerited favor.
The Giddings are an example of love that passes all understanding.
Amazing.

Maybe he was overly confident. Imagine, for one second, THNKING that you can actually get away with murder. Point being: think of how twisted your state of mind would be - it would take A LOT Of confidence. Like " I am way smarter than anyone else." He THOUGHT he could get away with murder.
IMO
True. And this is one reason it's hard to rationalize some of his actions.

The hacksaw still continues to bother me though.
No matter who committed the crime, there's no reason for it to have been in the utility closet.
To put it there was a deliberate act. So there must have been some reason for doing this, rational or not.

I've not seen this mentioned yet, but I'm sure everyone is familiar with those rolling trash cans
and have seen the sanitation workers hook them at the back of the truck and flip them over to dump the contents.
I have to wonder what made SM think that they would not have noticed the torso at that time.
It's always stated that it was "wrapped in plastic".
I've never seen it stated it was "bagged"... and if it were, a smell probably would not
have been detected so soon after it was transferred from the fridge (as we currently understand it to have happened).
Just seems a careless way for him to dispose of this.
I still wonder if we're going to discover he was holding this for other reasons...

I'm afraid that is a distinct possibility...:(

IMO
And it's possible that he was SO over-confident that he looked at the hacksaw and thought:
"Hmm... Still a good saw... hate to throw it away... I'll put it in the utility room in case somebody else needs it one day"

Even if the purchase of the saw happened in April and not recently, most stores that are chain stores could pull the itemized receipts. I know for work that I've had heat destroy the original receipt and had to go to the manager and have them pull the receipt. It might take a day or two for them to do it, but they can.

Also, I swear the first article I read about Lauren was very dramatic and started out with something about a sign reading that you were on camera past a certain point in the Barristers Apartments complex. Am I making that up, or have that mixed up because I can't find it anywhere.

I saw that sign when I was there on the 12th of July, I don't know if the cameras had just been installed or not.

Not sure if I understood this part correctly; SM has been charged, but still a grand jury will be called to decide on whether or not to indict? Is this true?

If so, will LE generally give the GJ much more evidence than what we have heard so far? I am thinking there is far more DNA involved here than just Lauren's on the saw and really hopeful that SM's is in places he never dreamed of.

I've never heard of charges prior to a GJ convening, so was wondering if I read this wrong, or if GA has special requirements. Would charges be dismissed if GJ does not find cause?

Not sure if I understood this part correctly; SM has been charged, but still a grand jury will be called to decide on whether or not to indict? Is this true?If so, will LE generally give the GJ much more evidence than what we have heard so far? I am thinking there is far more DNA involved here than just Lauren's on the saw and really hopeful that SM's is in places he never dreamed of.

I've never heard of charges prior to a GJ convening, so was wondering if I read this wrong, or if GA has special requirements. Would charges be dismissed if GJ does not find cause?

Yes, you are correct, the grand jury will still be convened for the purpose of issuing an indictment and yes, they will be given much more evidence than what the public is aware of. Grand Jury proceedings are secret, so what goes on in there will not be made public. As for whether charges would be dismissed if the Grand Jury does not indict, yes, theoretically that could happen but it absolutely WON'T happen in this case - not a snowball's chance in hell. First of all, McD's attorney won't be there and there will be no defense put up whatsoever to the testimony that is given to the Grand Jury. Believe me, there is a lot more forensic evidence than the public is aware of yet. They will reveal some of it to the Grand Jury, maybe not all. In any event, he WILL be indicted for Lauren's murder and probably the 2 burglaries as well.

I read that he had a master key to the apartments but not to the storage unit. My comment was basically "did the door have a BOLT only or a DOOR KNOB only or BOTH" and I reiterate that a credit card will open a door knob quite easily but not a bolt. I did not make comments in regards to a bump key. Another poster made a good point, that McD could have possibly even slid the hacksaw under the door if the door had a gap large enough at the bottom as some he has seen do..........and hacksaws are pretty slender anyway. I do not know how easily a bump key will open a bolt or knob.

All I meant was that a bump key and a master key are different, bump key sets can be purchased that fit a variety of locks, so if he needed another key to get into the storage place [presumably in the laundry room] he could have used a bump key to do that. I agree though that there were multiple ways to skin that cat.

Doen't the commitment hearing (preliminary hearing) come before the grand jury hearing? The state will have to present evidence to show probable cause first, if so.

IMO

Bolded by me.

And though it is an abhorrent possibility, he still just might accomplish that. Anyone who believes Casey Anthony guilty has to think she indeed got away with murder. And I'm going to make a broad assumption that McD has superior gray matter when comparing the 2. If he is using that intelligence to orchestrate all of we see as inexplicable, random and careless, it could perhaps equal a similar conclusion as the Anthony case. I am very VERY concerned the groundwork is being laid for that horrible result to occur.

I'm pretty sure the City of Macon garbage trucks pick up these green "herby-curby"'s. The sanitation worker grabs the handle of the rolling bin and puts it in position for the truck's lift mechanism to pick up the bin by a metal bar about two feet below the lid, on the side opposite the handle. The worker then flips open the top (that is hinged near the handle). The mechanism then lifts the bin and dumps it in the truck's bay.

The original point of the first post about the pick up method was that garbage men might very well discover the torso, even though it was wrapped in plastic. Two things occur to me:

1) The plastic might not have been clear (black, brown, etc) and not transparent. Still, there would be an unusually large plastic wrapped object, perhaps odiferous.

2) Because it IS very possible that garbage men would discover the plastic wrapped torso, this method of disposal must not have been the perp's plan of choice.

Even if this killing was not premeditated, the killer had several days to get rid of the body pieces. In my opinion, the torso was placed in the trash in the wee hours between the friends' visit and the MPD's arrival the next morning -- an act of desperation.

Perhaps this Golba body-hunter guy was right that SMD took the body parts to the law school dumpster, but the MLK bridge is a very inviting dump site, provided the perpetrator has no reason to think people might observe 1 or 2 AM trips from an apartment (downstairs fridge?) to a car?

So, why would he carry the torso to the trashcan but not his own car just feet away? If LG's car was parked in front of her apt., and SMD's in front of his, he would have to carry the torso in front of Ms. Spencer's window to get it to his car, but would only have to pass the window of the vacant downstairs apt to get it to the trashcan.

Just guessing ~

I feel like SMD would have been clever enough to figure out a way to make that short trip to his car with the torso concealed effectively, maybe in the dead of night when the BH complex is totally dead of action in my experience.
I agree that his tossing the torso in the trashcan next to the apartment was an act of desperation, but I question why he waited so long to do so :/

Not sure if I understood this part correctly; SM has been charged, but still a grand jury will be called to decide on whether or not to indict? Is this true?

If so, will LE generally give the GJ much more evidence than what we have heard so far? I am thinking there is far more DNA involved here than just Lauren's on the saw and really hopeful that SM's is in places he never dreamed of.

I think in my county people are sometimes arrested and then their case is presented to a grand jury. The grand jury then true bills or no bills the case. If it is a big drug sweep, gambling sweep, or theft ring (we have had all 3 in my county in the last 2 years), the grand jury indictments are handed down, sealed, and then served on all persons charged at the same time with a massive group of law enforcement participating. Also, a higher level drug dealer/importer is likely to have an indictment first then the arrest. Although I am no lawyer, my opinion is the same as Colonel Mustard's opinion. SM will be indicted for Lauren's murder. I feel we have just seen the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, of the evidence against him. If his mother keeps it up, we will know a lot more too, IMO.

Maybe the MM DID (unknowingly) use the saw before LG was killed and before he moved out, especially if McD bought the saw in April..Perhaps his prints are already on it...Maybe McD put it into the shed or even gave it to MM to put there after buying it for the "tree". He would know MM prints would be on it, so perhaps he was careful not to leave many of his own prints behind....
To Goodgirl65:

If an ungloved MM used the hacksaw after it was placed in the closet post-dismemberment, then his prints would potentially be present. If he used it prior, I doubt those prints would remain with the amount of blood and water it would have seen.

If SM is so smart, why was Lauren's body (torso) found at all? He could have just "disappeared" her, as so many killers seem to do. I think he thinks he is smart, but don't they all...

I feel like SMD would have been clever enough to figure out a way to make that short trip to his car with the torso concealed effectively, maybe in the dead of night when the BH complex is totally dead of action in my experience.
I agree that his tossing the torso in the trashcan next to the apartment was an act of desperation, but I question why he waited so long to do so :/

I hate to even say this, but...he may have kept it to do things with it. Jmo.

Supersleuth - we do not know the actual details of his "original murder plan A" that was mentioned in the warrant. However, I tend to think the original plan to murder and avoid detection was to kill, dismember, get rid of the entire body, missing person declared by LE, move out, move on, and never even be a POI.
NO evidence.
The investigation was to be limited to a missing person case and turned over to the FBI which has a three year backlog of missing persons. He would move away and others would move into his apt.

This story of the maintenance man framing him (Plan B), OR McD framing the maintenance man (Plan C) was never part of the original plan. IMO
Only after the body was found did Plan B and C come into play.
Why did he leave the hacksaw and wrapper on site? Because it would never have mattered IF the original plan had been successful.
IMO

Well put Sandstorm and I agree. McD never planned on being looked at as a suspect, having his apartment searched or being arrested. I really think it is that simple.

Assume Lauren died sometime in the early morning hours of June 26th. Fast forward to Wednesday, June 29th. Boni Bush enters Lauren's apartment and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. She leaves a note for Lauren on the door.

From that point on McD is handicapped. Three days may sound like a lot of time to dismember, cleanup and dispose of a body, but McD can't be seen in Lauren's apartment, nor carrying large objects around. He has to work under the cover of darkness I would imagine and at a time when no one is likely to be around. In addition, he has Bar classes to attend. Staying up all night, attending classes and trying to appear normal would be extremely stressful and I bet he was running on exhaustion, maybe not thinking clearly.

The friends come looking for Lauren and enter her apartment the night of the 29th. He hasn't had time to get rid of the final piece of evidence, her torso. Time is running out, the police have been called and he knows they will be looking around the complex. He spends time with the friends that night and into the early morning hours of June 30th. They leave and it's all about getting rid of everything quick.

After 9:30 am the morning of June 30th, he never has another chance to hide or get rid of evidence.

“She would be friends with anyone,” Supsic says. And here was a virtue that might have contributed to her death: Lauren had uncommon empathy for the underdog, for the socially alienated and maladroit. “People who maybe others made fun of in school, Lauren would be friends with them,” Supsic says. “And not necessarily because she felt sorry for them, but because she saw the good in every person.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story_2.html

After reading that article, the impression I had about Stephen being fixated on Lauren is reinforced. I think she was the object of his unrequited affection, but I also think there was some resentment going on for various reasons, mainly frustration. JMO.

From the link to the story in The Washington Post that someone posted yesterday evening, the story about Lauren's family's ordeal, the section titled "Last Days and Hours", near the end of the story: Didn't we learn some details that had not yet been made public? (Some were definitely unfamiliar to me.)

link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...to-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story.html

Quote:
"On Friday night, June 24, Lauren went out with friends. Two of her classmates, both acoustic guitarists, were performing in bars downtown. She and her pals hit the Rookery first, listened for a while, then crossed the street to Bottoms Up.The evening was a welcome breather after weeks of intensive study. Georgia’s bar exam was scheduled for late July, and Lauren was determined to pass. It surprised no one who knew her well that she wanted to become a public defender, to devote her career to the poorest of the accused.
As she occasionally would do after a night on the town, she slept at a friend’s place Friday. Her boyfriend,
<name snipped>, who was in California that weekend, has privileges at a Macon country club, and on Saturday, Lauren used his name to get in. She wanted to swim and relax by the pool.
About 6:30 p.m., as she was headed back to Barristers Hall, alone in her 2004 Mitsubishi Galant, she stopped for fast food at a drive-up window monitored by an overhead camera. The wrappers and receipt would later be found in her car, so maybe she ate before she got home."

I had never heard, I don't think, that the Zaxby's wrappers and receipt were found in her car...? Always had the impression they were found in her apartment.

This answers more definitively a question I had raised earlier, about why the police released the Zaxby's info (when everything else was being held so tightly). I had hypothesized that perhaps it was to see if anyone reported seeing her after the Zaxby's trip. Now, since it seems she ate in her car, it seems even more possible that she may have gone somewhere else before returning to the apartment. The Zaxby's that has been mentioned as the one she went to is only a very short distance away -- unless she was really hungry (certainly possible), seems like she would have waited to eat at the apartment if she was headed directly there.

Not seeing this link from Macon Telegraph posted here yet -- if it already has been, please excuse duplication.

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/07/1657333/funeral-held-in-her-home-state.html

Quote:

Lauren Giddings' funeral held in Maryland

"LAUREL, Md. -- Lauren Teresa Giddings came home Saturday.She came home to her hometown, to her family and friends, to her church and to her Lord. ..."

Read more at link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member