MI MI - Patricia Spencer, 16, & Pamela Hobley, 15, Oscoda, 31 Oct 1969

Anybody think the peace symbol found while metal-detecting is anything worthwhile? I kinda do.

If it were something a little more unique, I would say so; but a peace symbol during that time? I'm sure a lot of kids at that school wore them...

Here's another un-captioned photo from the yearbook. I think it's Pamela Hobley, although I am not entirely sure. She has glasses exactly identical to the glasses in Pamela's yearbook portrait. And her hair and nose are similar too. I'm a little hung up on her mouth though. Her mouth looks a little wider than the other photos of Pamela.

<modsnip>

I have to agree that I think the picture looks a lot like Pamela. Her sisters and her friend both think however that it is not her.

Going on 42 years. I was out looking at some of the old party spots from the 70's today. They sure are a ways away from the high school. Channel 5 news out of Saginaw did a nice clip last night and then again this morning, but I can't find it on the website.

The yearbook picture that friends and family DO NOT think is her is on her Charley project page. Weird.

I agree about the mouth - the mystery picture is a mary tyler moore mouth. It does not fit Pam's known picture.

31 October 1969 was a Friday. The Moon phase was waning to Half.

The yearbook picture that friends and family DO NOT think is her is on her Charley project page. Weird.

I agree about the mouth - the mystery picture is a mary tyler moore mouth. It does not fit Pam's known picture.

I sent an e-mail to Meaghan at CharleyProject to ask her to remove the photo. I also sent her the other newspaper photos of Pamela and Patricia from above in this thread, and asked her to add those to their casefiles.

Interesting case, and I'd like to assist. Can anyone pls send links to any / all photos- where the photos were found?

Also, it's a good 2.5 walk from the HS to downtown Oscoda- and Oscoda is damned cold by H'ween. Reports say they were walking to one of the victims' homes, but where was that? Was it ever determined they'd made it that far?

If they were last seen at 2pm, has it been determined that's around the time they skipped school? It's close to when school let out, so there's a lapse in logic as to why two young girls would skip school so late in the day- and I don't ignore their frame of mind or naivete. I'm again referring to the cold. 2.5 miles on a rural road is a long walk to town on a cold day when you are lightly dressed.

I don't know enough yet to go on, but it smells like a crime of opportunity, with the added element of the day of the year to make premed a distinct probability- not that they were premeditated targets, but hunted.

Oscoda's a tiny area- and Wurtsmith was in full ops back in 1969, accounting for probably 30-40% of the population of Oscoda-Au Sable. Wurtsmith had many direct exits from the base into the woods for Air Force outdoorsmen (a primary hobby there), but anybody stopping in town for fun or supplies would use River Rd to go inland.

There's not much to go on that I've seen, so here's what I can add at the moment: I've cleaned up the photos I've found, and made an overlay of the two yearbook photos proving the "other girl" is not Pamela Hobley:

Click to Enlarge

Here's Barbara's photo, overlayed with the image of the other girl found in the yearbook. I flopped her image over, lined up their faces (eyes and chin- jaws are tight in both photos), and animated the image to fade back and forth. The nose on the other girl is far higher, and her forehead and jawline is much wider. Her jawline and lips are reminiscent of Geena Davis, while Pamela's jawline was more narrow and fragile. Also, the frame style is very similar and popular to the time, but not identical. Definitely not the same person.

Again, click to enlarge and to see the animation.

<modsnip>[/url]

The mistaken photo was removed from Charley Project a couple of months ago, and I agree that it isn't the same girl. That was my mistake, as I was the one who e-mailed it to Meaghan of Charley Project. I found the uncaptioned photo on page 2 of the 1969 Oscoda HS yearbook. You have to be a paid subscriber to Classmates to see it though.

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/Oscoda-High-School/117782#

I couldn't find any girls among the portraits with similar glasses, but I think I found the same girl without glasses. Her initials are L.S.

Human Remains found at Oscoda Township Construction site:

Oscoda Township, MI (WJRT/CNN) - A construction site in northeast Michigan turned into a crime scene after workers unearthed human remains.

Police say a partial skull and several bones were found.

Investigators believe the remains may be several decades old.

"We do have several missing person complaints that are still open from the 60s and 70s in this area. On the outward phase it doesn't appear that this matches any of them, but that's why we are going to let the experts make that determination for certain," said Sgt. Erik McNichol with the Oscoda Township Police Department.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/318704/28/Human-remains-found-at-Michigan-construction-site

Wow. I came here to post the news, but clearly you beat me to it. Interesting that LE says that the remains don't appear to match local missing cases. Was it obviously a male, or a young child? The obvious would be one of these two missing local girls.

The other "somewhat local" missing person case that I found was that of Lester Eugene Barr, who disappeared in October 1994 from Turner MI at age 53. Turner looks to be about 30 miles from Oscada. He was reported missing by a friend. A neighbour reported that he had packed up a truck with his stuff. His social security checks started piling up at the post office and he has never been seen since. Here is Lester's Doe Network page:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1673dmmi.html

Of course it could always be Jimmy Hoffa! :what:

There's also Cherita Janice Thomas from Oscoda, murdered there Aug. 3, 1980, by racist *advertiser censored* Jimmie A. Nelson. He was convicted, but her remains have not been found.

OH! :eek: That's horrible!

what bugs me is the day, the timing, the weather. The school is rural as can be, and back then there were fewer homes/inhabitants. The victims would have walked from the school to downtown, down the cold windy hill with cold winds blowing off the lake? which was 2 miles away? ********. That's already beyond hinky.

These kids had a ride that day, at a very particular time.

They ended up dead.

Who gave them the ride?

Pamela Sue Hobley
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: October 31, 1969
Location Last Seen: Oscoda, Iosco Co, Michigan

Physical Description** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: May 25, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'6 to 5'8
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 100-115 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar on the left side of her mouth and a scar across the bridge of her nose.
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: 3/4 length white fur coat with brown fur trim. Long sleeve blouse with ruffled cuffs, white cotton knee socks, brown and white plaid skirt. Chunky style shoe with thick heel.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Photo: At link below

Circumstances of Disappearance

Pamela Hobley and Patricia Spencer went missing on the day of the homecoming football game on October 31, 1969. The two were not considered friends, but it is thought that they may have skipped school together thatafternoon. Neither of the girls have a purse or an ID with them.

No one has seen or heard from them since then. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators

If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Oscoda Township Police
Agency Contact Person: Sergeant Hall
Agency Phone Number: 989-739-9113

Agency Case Number: 69-7755

NCMEC Case Number: 1175075

NamUs Case Number: MP #11478

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Sources

NCMEC
NamUs
The Doe Network: Pamela Sue Hobley & 3080DFMI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3080dfmi.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Patricia Spencer
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: October 31, 1969
Location Last Seen: Oscoda, Iosco Co, Michigan

Physical Description** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: October 1, 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'3
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 120 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Patricia may wear eyeglasses.
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Tweed or brown plaid skirt, brown sweater, grey and green plaid jacket, brown shoes with thick heel. Did not have her glasses with her when she went missing.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Photo: At link below

Circumstances of Disappearance

Patricia Spencer and Pamela Sue Hobley went missing on the day of the homecoming football game on October 31, 1969. The two were not considered friends, but it is thought that they may have skipped school together thatafternoon. Neither of the girls have a purse or an ID with them.

No one has seen or heard from them since then. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators

If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Oscoda Township Police
Agency Contact Person: Sergeant Hall
Agency Phone Number: 989-739-9113

Agency Case Number: 69-7755

NCMEC Case Number: 1175069

NamUs Case Number: MP #11479

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Sources

NCMEC
NamUs
The Doe Network: Patricia Spencer & 3081DFMI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3081dfmi.html

Michigan murders and disappearances of young women and girls in 1968-1969

There were quite a few young women and girls who went missing or who were abducted and turned up murdered in Michigan about the same time that Patricia and Pamely went missing.

In late July 1969, John Norman Collins was arrested for the murder of Karen Sue Beineman in Ypsilanti. He is believed to have killed several others, but was only tried and convicted of Karen's murder.

There were several other murders of Michigan girls from that era which have been solved. The difference between those cases and this one, is that here two girls went missing together, and they have never been found.

In January of 1970, another young girl, Cynthia Coon, age 13, went missing from Ann Arbor, Michigan and she is still missing (See separate thread in 1970's section). Could her disappearance be related to that of Patricia and Pamela?

More remains found at road construction project.

http://www.abc12.com/story/18614998/more-human-remains-found-at-construction-site

Investigators believe the new remains are somehow related to the remains found on May 2.

Hmmmmm. Are they "somehow" related because they are the same person, or "somehow" related because they are two different persons buried at during the same period of time?

Perhaps they just uncovered an old burial plot or cemetary.

But that "somehow related" bit is a bit curious.

There's also Cherita Janice Thomas from Oscoda, murdered there Aug. 3, 1980, by racist *advertiser censored* Jimmie A. Nelson. He was convicted, but her remains have not been found.

Here is a link to the websleuths thread on Cherita Jancie Thomas:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33450&highlight=Cherita+Janice+Thomas

The thread was started in 2005 and five years later (25 years after Cherita's disappearance) Nelson was convicted of murdering her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back