Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Celebrity and Entertainment News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 PM
"We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass

Alicia Silverstone Posts How She Feeds Son

ALICIA SILVERSTONE
I Feed My Baby ...
By Spitting Into His Mouth

This is how Alicia Silverstone feeds her 10-month-old son -- chewing up food in her mouth ... then spitting it directly into his ... like a bird.

Alicia posted the video on her blog this weekend, claiming it's her "favorite" way to feed her son Bear Blu (that's his name). Alicia adds, "He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if Iím eating."
http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/27/alicia.../#.T3J8wTFulWM

Alright-I have no words!!! This never crossed my mind when I was a young mommy to do this nor did I ever hear any friends talk of doing this! But, I did have a great-aunt that used to do this for her elderly toothless Chihuahua-well, she didn't actually spit it in Trixie's mouth!

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to essies For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

I just came here to see if this was posted. It's SO disgusting!! And what is the reasoning behind it?? I seriously don't get it.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful One For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM
"It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."

This is so disgusting!!!! I saw it on TV earlier and I thought I might hurl.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justbeachy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

Premastication, has been used throughout all time.
This does not shock me, it is not stupid or cruel. Mum's digestive enzymes in her saliva make the food easier for the baby to digest. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't condemn someone else for doing it.

Baby is happy, what else matters?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Wandering but not lost

Very bad idea to read this thread while eating lunch.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jamiect For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Expecting the Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
This does not shock me, it is not stupid or cruel. Mum's digestive enzymes in her saliva make the food easier for the baby to digest. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't condemn someone else for doing it.

Uh, because now we know about germs and disease?

And because you want your child to be socialized at some time in the future and live with other human beings?

And also . . . this may sound obvious, but children can learn to chew up their food once they have teeth. Mommy may just be a little too overinvolved. JMOO

And I'm sure Alicia Silverstone can afford a blender or baby food grinder, which is what most of us use to make baby food.

I'll admit I had one sister-in-law who used to chew ice then put it into her baby's mouth. It grossed me out then (I was about 12 years old) and it grosses me out now (I'm 51).

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Don't Drink the Pinellas Punch!

I'm glad I'm not her child.

So, birds do it, so it must be natural, Alicia says...

Birds also fly and lay eggs. Is she going to teach her kid to do that, too?

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM

It's not unusual in a lot of cultures, and since they live in the same house, kiss and cuddle, I don't think germs would be that big of an issue. Better than commercial baby food, although personally if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with a food grinder like I did with my kids.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If he were 12, say, then yeah, maybe she's a bit too involved!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MayraMM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM

When does she plan to "wean" him from this method, I wonder...
And will he go through life obsessed with mouths?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:

He may not be so happy when he's 15 and sees that video!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
This is love

I find this behavior to be "unusual".

It's a bit like (but way more unusual than) people holding a pet treat between their lips for their pet to take it from them.

She says her child will come running across the room when she has food, presumably to get fed in this manner. Which at first, sounds at the very least like a weird perversion of the "Pavlov's dog" stimulation. Yet, in the short video, while sitting within 2 feet of him, she has to keep tapping him on the arm to get his attention, even tho she's holding the bowl of food and chewing it. Maybe he wasn't hungry?

The good part of this story is that (apparently) she hasn't stepped it up (yet) to swallowing her food and then regurgitating it to him.

It's possibly just a misguided publicity stunt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Kind words do not cost much

I already knew about this method of feeding a child.

It's not unusual. When my kids were babies I never leaned over and dropped food into their mouth but before they got molars but were on solids I would give them a bite out of my mouth.

Since she says it's his fav way to eat and not the only way she feeds him, she's probably just a new Mom that is so enchanted by the relationship between Mom and child that she didn't know this would cause a stir.

Back when my kids were little we didn't have a chopper or anything like that. When we were given a blender then I would make their own food sometimes. But if I was sitting there eating and one of the wee one's came over for a bite, I'd chew it and give them a taste.

Doesn't shock me that she does. Doesn't gross me out either. But to each his own. If it grosses someone out then by all means don't feed an infant that way.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Verified Registered Nurse

Lord knows.... Next thing you know, someone's gonna be saying vaginas are too "germy" for babies to be born from.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T4Tide For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM
I love Jesus but I like to drink a little. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful One View Post
I just came here to see if this was posted. It's SO disgusting!! And what is the reasoning behind it?? I seriously don't get it.
I don't get it either. I liked Alicia as an actress but after seeing this video I don't think I'll ever be able to watch another one of her movies again without thinking of this. YUCKY!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenniferTx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM

this thread just made me LOL. To each their own I guess, I just hope when Bear Blu (again LOL) gets a bit older and grammy is eating piece of pie he doesn't run across the room to attack her mouth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
I know you're out there...

What if in the morning she hasn't brushed her teeth yet and she feeds him his breakfast this way?

I just want to throw up!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LunaticFringe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayraMM View Post
It's not unusual in a lot of cultures, and since they live in the same house, kiss and cuddle, I don't think germs would be that big of an issue. Better than commercial baby food, although personally if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with a food grinder like I did with my kids.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If he were 12, say, then yeah, maybe she's a bit too involved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
I already knew about this method of feeding a child.

It's not unusual. When my kids were babies I never leaned over and dropped food into their mouth but before they got molars but were on solids I would give them a bite out of my mouth.

Since she says it's his fav way to eat and not the only way she feeds him, she's probably just a new Mom that is so enchanted by the relationship between Mom and child that she didn't know this would cause a stir.

Back when my kids were little we didn't have a chopper or anything like that. When we were given a blender then I would make their own food sometimes. But if I was sitting there eating and one of the wee one's came over for a bite, I'd chew it and give them a taste.

Doesn't shock me that she does. Doesn't gross me out either. But to each his own. If it grosses someone out then by all means don't feed an infant that way.
So glad to see so many free thinking and balanced posters comment about this. Women have been feeding their young this way since the beginning of time. Even older ones are fed pre masticated food in some cultures.

When survival is on the line, people do amaxing things. When there is a CVS on every corner people do not do those same things.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Expecting the Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
Lord knows.... Next thing you know, someone's gonna be saying vaginas are too "germy" for babies to be born from.
Well, eating and being born - sort of different things.

And I think babies need to learn to feed themselves with their fingers or a spoon. Notice how she pulls the bowl away from him - why do that? She just wants to control the food and the mess. But I believe babies learn coordination from feeding themselves, so what's the point? He'll have to learn it someday.

It's so funny here on WS that whether we are talking about people who are ultra-clean and feed their kids in the sink (like Sky Metawala) or people spitting food into a kid's mouth like a pelican, someone is always here defending the practice as if it is perfectly normal.

I always shared food with my kids and they shared food with each other, but we never spit it into the mouth.

But I guess I'm too conventional and taught my kids to eat at a table with silverware, which is something my family on both sides has been doing for generations. My mother and grandmothers had about 20 children among them and countless grandchildren and never fed anyone that way.

And just for the record, I didn't eat my own placenta either just because people do it in other societies.

Wait till she Alicia tries this in a kindergarten lunch room and the teacher has to have a talk with her. LOL

*runs from thread*

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 AM

It's 2012 - is there really a reason to feed your child like a bird? We have blenders, mixers, choppers, and what not. It's one thing to give your child a bite of your food, but to chew it up and have them eat out of your mouth (or spit it in their mouth) is another. Yes, sure, women did it ages ago...but why now? They didn't have mixed baby food, blenders, etc. I don't see the point.

But again, to each their own -- I just don't agree with it.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mel
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 AM

Well alrighty then. I'm don't mean to judge, but that seems GROSS to me! Of course, I was one of those kids who absolutely hated whenever my mom would wipe food off my face with her saliva (containing cigarette smoke and all). I would run for the hills when my mom would come at me with a kleenex wet with her saliva. THANK GOD she didn't fed me like I was a baby bird.

And wait, don't they say human mouths are a very dirty place? Like I said, I hate to judge - but it just doesn't seem natural or very clean. Hope she is has good oral hygiene
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Road For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

man, that's just nasty!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
elsewhere

My Mom did the oddest thing: She COOKED fruits & veggies to soften them, then smashed them up to feed me. :-o No commercially canned baby food for her, no sirree...she made her own using a ricer (like a huge garlic press) which, btw, she gave to me when I was a young adult. I've always said this is why I like all kinds of foods and was never a finicky eater. She fed me all manner of table food that the rest of the family ate, just in a form I could handle at the appropriate age.

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Apart from the possible communication of diseases such as herpes, this method prevents the baby from learning how to eat on its own...and delays the salivary glands from doing their natural thing in the digestive process.

When a kid runs over to Mama and unbuttons her shirt to get a drink of milk, it's time to think about weaning. :::ducking:::

To each hir own, but to me, this was an ewwww spectacle to watch.

~jmo~
The Following User Says Thank You to shana For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
I figured out how to type here

I thought that this was extremely bad for developing teeth. We had a friend growing up who fed her youngest son this way, her saliva being in his mouth all the time caused his baby teeth to rot.

At least that is the way my preteen memory remembers the situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamnotagolem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtFox View Post
Well, eating and being born - sort of different things.
How are they different exactly? If you are born out of someones uterus after feeding off their life blood through an umbilical cord for months.

I dont understand how that makes something "different".

I understand how it alters how we view it, I just dont understand how it alters it essentially (in the basic elements that are involved).
The Following User Says Thank You to Glow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana View Post
Apart from the possible communication of diseases such as herpes, this method prevents the baby from learning how to eat on its own...and delays the salivary glands from doing their natural thing in the digestive process.
Why bring up herpes? What do people who copulate irresolute of the disease factor have to do with feeding a baby? Are we supposed to adapt our sexual proclivities around our reproducing behaviors?

Where does that bring us as a society?
The Following User Says Thank You to Glow For This Useful Post: