Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
Since Obama only claimed to have changed his opinion and didn't propose any legislation then this is just a red herring. It means nothing regarding my vote or most others, I don't think.

Personally, I have no problem with gay marriage. They should have the equal right to be exposed to the same misery as the rest of us.
I have no problem with it either. It'll not change my life one iota one way or the other, but calling voters lunatics (not you), is just nuts. I believe in state's rights, so when someone from outside a state purports to know what's best for those in the state, then I gotta jump in with my
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TrackerSam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 AM

G.W. Bush was in favor of civil unions according to Rachel Maddow on TODAY. Good on him.

moo

wm

Numbers,32:23
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
Banning gay marriage is one thing- my state does that, too. I don't agree with the ban but it at least leaves out the nasty parts. The NC law seems draconian, extending to heterosexual relationships and seems deliberately designed to punish. I think there is a strong possibility that it may in part be overturned on appeal. My heart goes out to all affected by this regressive law.
I agree, Snick.

Numbers,32:23
The Following User Says Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
I think there is a strong possibility that it may in part be overturned on appeal. My heart goes out to all affected by this regressive law.
Maybe I'm wrong but, it's not a law and there is no ban. I thought what it was was an ammendment to the state constitution that defines what marriage is. Laws have to be enacted by the state legislature and signed into law by the governor. The electorate can't write law.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
DV Advocate

Was it a referendum?

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives!

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
Since Obama only claimed to have changed his opinion and didn't propose any legislation then this is just a red herring. It means nothing regarding my vote or most others, I don't think.

Personally, I have no problem with gay marriage. They should have the equal right to be exposed to the same misery as the rest of us.
BBM: I was thinking the same thing. Unmarried gay couples have been getting off way too lightly and should have to suffer like the rest of married couples. Maybe they should beware of what they are asking for? LOL. Anyway, I've always thought that the government should stay out of deciding what people do or not do in their personal lives as long as they are consenting and legal age and their decision doesn't harm anyone and yes, I live in North Carolina.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & beware of diabolical masterminds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
61% to 39% and because the vote didn't go your way, they're lunatics? Lunatics really?
Anyone who thinks Obama's endorsement was sincere is a lunatic.

BBM

Yeah, there are probably better words to describe those who vote against gay marriage.

JMHO

The Following User Says Thank You to Emma Peel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Peel View Post

BBM

Yeah, there are probably better words to describe those who vote against gay marriage.

JMHO
And what would those be?
The Following User Says Thank You to TrackerSam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & beware of diabolical masterminds.

Quote:
And what would those be?
Quote:
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
~Oscar Wilde

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Emma Peel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think he has the power to overide the state's definition of marriage. It'll have to go before the state Supreme Court and if not resolved there the U.S Supreme Court.
He doesn't have the power and he wouldn't use it if he tried. As I understand it, Obama has affirmed his belief that gay marriage should be decided by the states.

The same states, I suppose, in which President Obama would not be allowed to vote or use a public drinking fountain had it not been for federal intervention.

So thanks a little, Mr. President, but when it comes to marriage, the U.S. has less equality than Mexico.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
61% to 39% and because the vote didn't go your way, they're lunatics? Lunatics really?
Anyone who thinks Obama's endorsement was sincere is a lunatic.
yes. imo, those who vote against gay rights in this country are lunatics......and honestly, that was putting it nicely.

however, if believing obama is sincere makes me a lunatic, so be it. i have been called worse and will proudly wear that label in this instance.

i happen to know that over the last few years he has been rethinking this issue and it had nothing to do with politics but everything to do with personal experience. one of his daughters became good friends with the daughter of a gay couple when the obamas went to dc. she has been questioning her father ever since then in regard to why the law is different for her friend's parents than for her own. michelle obama has long been on record as supporting the right for gay couples to marry. his ''endorsement'' came as a result of personal experience, an open mind, a willingness to keep learning in life, and the guts to admit publicly that he now understands that he was wrong.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doubt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM

below links to a fascinating blog, written by a trial attorney, concerning this issue. if i'm not supposed to link to this, please accept my apologies and remove!!

http://ncamendmentonetruth.wordpress.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doubt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with it either. It'll not change my life one iota one way or the other, but calling voters lunatics (not you), is just nuts. I believe in state's rights, so when someone from outside a state purports to know what's best for those in the state, then I gotta jump in with my
I don't know if you're in NC or not. If you are, then you know that lunatics fits our population very well at times.

I've asked everyone I know , who supported the amendment, to defend it without bringing their own personal religious beliefs into the argument. None have been able to do so. If anyone can, I am eager to hear it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubt View Post
yes. imo, those who vote against gay rights in this country are lunatics......and honestly, that was putting it nicely.

however, if believing obama is sincere makes me a lunatic, so be it. i have been called worse and will proudly wear that label in this instance.

i happen to know that over the last few years he has been rethinking this issue and it had nothing to do with politics but everything to do with personal experience. one of his daughters became good friends with the daughter of a gay couple when the obamas went to dc. she has been questioning her father ever since then in regard to why the law is different for her friend's parents than for her own. michelle obama has long been on record as supporting the right for gay couples to marry. his ''endorsement'' came as a result of personal experience, an open mind, a willingness to keep learning in life, and the guts to admit publicly that he now understands that he was wrong.
Thank you, doubt. I don't question that Obama's position on this subject is sincere. I don't think it goes far enough, but that's a different issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubt View Post
below links to a fascinating blog, written by a trial attorney, concerning this issue. if i'm not supposed to link to this, please accept my apologies and remove!!

http://ncamendmentonetruth.wordpress.com/
Thanks and it's true: time is not on the side of the bigots. Most young people can't fathom why gay marriage is even an issue.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM

In the future, I think that public figures who are against gay marriage will look as foolish as those in the past that were against the desegregation of schools during the African-American Civil Rights Movement of the 50's and 60's.

Like Bob Dylan said The Times are A- Changin, well done Mr. President.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jjw For This Useful Post: