Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumpster now, is that what he said? Are you sure?

Exactly how many people were in this "prayer circle"?

Quite a bit of new info at this article.

Meanwhile, the Police Department defended itself against suggestions that it had moved too quickly when it arrested Mr. Hernandez, a suspect with no known motive and with no physical evidence to corroborate his words.

“There was no way we could release the man who had just confessed to having killed Etan Patz,” said Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman. “It would be unusual, to say the least, to release someone who confessed to a murder.”

The police have said Mr. Hernandez confessed to a family member and others that he had killed a child. On Friday, one of his sisters confirmed that account, saying in an interview that family members said he had told them at a church prayer circle in the early 1980s.

“He confessed that he killed a little boy,” the sister, Norma Hernandez, said at her home in Camden, N.J. “He strangled a little boy and put him in the Dumpster

But she recalled that when he moved to South Jersey from New York shortly after Etan disappeared, “He was acting very strange — he was always very quiet, his stomach was always very upset.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/26/n...z-case-charged-with-second-degree-murder.html

Here is an exact description of what PH said he did to Etan.

He told investigators this week that he had coaxed Etan away from the bus stop with the promise of a soda. By that time, shortly after 8 a.m., the bodega was already open, but the basement had a separate entrance from the sidewalk accessible by a set of metal doors.

“He leads the kid down the steps to the basement and right there — at the bottom of the steps — he strangles him,” one law enforcement official said.

“He puts him in a bag, puts him in a box and carries it out,” said the official, adding, “I don’t think there is a passage of time” between when Mr. Hernandez strangled the boy and when he took the box out of the bodega.

Mr. Hernandez said he left the box a little over a block away in front of 113 Thompson Street, the police said, and on Friday night crime scene investigators had descended on that location.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/26/n...z-case-charged-with-second-degree-murder.html

Of course this point can't be emphasized enough.

This one point alone, so obvious in fact, once you look at the Maps and see the close proximity of all these places, causes his confession to completely deflate, for me.

The investigator said he also found Mr. Hernandez’s story of carrying the boy’s body out of the basement in a box and taking it a short distance away in daylight implausible, and found it extremely odd that the search of the neighborhood later that day and the next day did not turn up a box with Etan’s body.

“With the searching they were doing,” the investigator said, “no one comes across this box in the alley?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/26/n...h-second-degree-murder.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

I wonder how soon they brought the scent dogs in. If they did do that.

Also, I doubt NYPD has told us all of what it knows about Hernandez and what he has told them. I don't think they're suckers.

I wanted to find 438 West Broadway, where PH lived in 1979.

According to the detailed Map of locations that I linked here upthread, earlier today, the bus stop was actually on West Broadway.

I did a Google Streetview Walkabout at the link below, and was very surprised to see 438 West Broadway, PH's apartment, is indeed exactly the last spot Etan was seen (well, actually, it has been reported both ways, hasn't it? He made it to the bus stop/he did not make it to the bus stop?).

Anyway, PH's apartment was right beside the bus stop. :eek:

Here is a crude Map I did, from a screengrab of 438 West Broadway.

Let me know if I labelled anything wrong, please.

attachment.php

Link to Map. I suggest doing a Goolge Streetview Walk-about yourself:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=438+we...=m&z=17&iwloc=A&panoid=FXOUJ7Wtt_tWnTM8W2BgqA
This is great! Thanks!

The only thing I see that I think is wrong is that the bus stop is on the corner across Prince Street that you can't see on the extreme right edge of the photo. I say that based on the photo supplied by Mr. Patz in the old issue of New York Magazine.

Its great to see the 438 W Broadway building and entrance.

Former SoHo resident Roberto Monticello, a filmmaker who was a teenager when Patz disappeared, said he remembers Hernandez as civil but reserved and "pent-up."

"You always got the sense that if you crossed him really bad, he would hurt you," Monticello said, although he added that he never saw him hit anyone.

Monticello said Hernandez was also one of the few teenagers in the neighborhood who didn't join in the all-out search for Etan, which consumed SoHo and the city for months. "He was always around, but he never helped. He never participated," Monticello said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP2aff638823784564b4e1a8793eed985a.html

Just heresay from one person, but maybe we will hear more.

:banghead: Not buying this whole thing... Don't ask, but my hinky meter has been off the charts since this "confession". Here's why:

1. The family claims he did a "bad thing" to a child, and they had been hearing about it over the years. Oh yeah? Where were they years ago?

2. First it was a box, then a bag for the body's disposal. A mere "meme" or just a total flip flop in the story?

3. Apparently, he suffers from delusions and schitzophrenia, as well as other mental health issues. It wouldn't be the first time that someone thought they killed someone when it was indeed a delusion.

4. Lack of physical evidence.

5. From newyork.cbslocal.com : " Authorities are considering whether to excavate the basement of the old deli, now an eyeglasses shop. The police will also retrace garbage truck routes from the late 1970s that could lead to a search of landfills to try to find any of the boy’s remains."
This daunting task of trying to find a needle in mount everest (fresh kills and Arthur Kills are huge mountains) in my opinion is just impossible, time consuming, and more painful ngst for the family.

Etan is listed on Charley Project as having weighed 50 pounds - not that heavy for an eighteen year old grocery stocker at a bodega who had yet to hurt his back working construction.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/patz_etan.html

My six-year-old son weighs 50 lbs. as well. I can pick him up over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes (and I do, because he likes it) without a bit of trouble, and I'm a female in her mid-thirties who is probably way less fit than an 18-YO stockboy.

I wonder how soon they brought the scent dogs in. If they did do that.

Also, I doubt NYPD has told us all of what it knows about Hernandez and what he has told them. I don't think they're suckers.

It rained the night of May 25th, and when scent dogs were used early the next day there was no scent trail.

:banghead: Not buying this whole thing... Don't ask, but my hinky meter has been off the charts since this "confession". Here's why:

1. The family claims he did a "bad thing" to a child, and they had been hearing about it over the years. Oh yeah? Where were they years ago?

2. First it was a box, then a bag for the body's disposal. A mere "meme" or just a total flip flop in the story?

3. Apparently, he suffers from delusions and schitzophrenia, as well as other mental health issues. It wouldn't be the first time that someone thought they killed someone when it was indeed a delusion.

4. Lack of physical evidence.

5. From newyork.cbslocal.com : " Authorities are considering whether to excavate the basement of the old deli, now an eyeglasses shop. The police will also retrace garbage truck routes from the late 1970s that could lead to a search of landfills to try to find any of the boy’s remains."
This daunting task of trying to find a needle in mount everest (fresh kills and Arthur Kills are huge mountains) in my opinion is just impossible, time consuming, and more painful ngst for the family.
I admit, I'm only about 65-35 on the side of "Yep, he's our man" right now.

But I do think (guess?) he is the one. Doubts may persist forever - that is, if the case ever goes to trial or is pled and punishment is meted Hernandez for this pernicious crime.

Taking them one at a time:

1. Family couldn't very well go to NYPD and announce their relative with the mental issues said he had "done a bad thing," and expect NYPD to plunge resources into finding out just what. They evidently did not know a thing associating "bad thing" with killing Etan.

2. The confusion here may have come from reporters using different sources for their initial information.

3. Very true. But how many persons with subsequent mental issues were working in the very bodega that Etan and his family had been to and knew, a block and a half away from their house, at the time Etan went missing? One thing I think LE knows - this guy was there, and very probably had the opportunity.

4. The years took care of that.

5. Thanks for the info here - hadn't seen that. If NYPD indeed believes they have their man, and if their investigation can tighten down the case accordingly, I don't believe they should dig up the basement or spend what seems obviously to be wasted hours at either of the two Kills landfills.

Sympathy for Ramos is not an issue. He molestered children - and is in prison for that crime. Park Rangers on multiple undercover operations discovered Ramos illegal activites with children at the Rainbow Gatherings. Ramos did not harm Etan. GraBaois was investigating Etan Patz case. GraBois stated Ramos was responsible - and had every means of investigating a case possible. Ramos is in prison - no children are being harmed by him. GraBois came across a child molester while investigating a missing 6 year old boy. A common occurance. For 33 years the person who harmed Etan has been on the streets free to harm others. This is a problem.

I understand your point. You're right that, if Hernandez killed Etan, he has been free for 33 years to hurt others.

GraBois, IIRC, was not involved in this case in the beginning. IIRC, it was already a cold case. He revived it. He investigated many other possibilities, such as whether Etan was abducted by an uncle (or great-uncle) and taken to Israel.

Investigations start with the central figure (Etan) and move out. Each avenue is investigated until it can be dismissed. Multiple avenues are investigated simultaneously. The Patzes were originallly suspected and eliminated.

GraBois would have been neglient in not following the leads he developed about Ramos. Ramos had a connection to the child and a proclivity for young boys. He had motive, means, and opportunity. He admitted he abducted a boy he was 90% sure was Etan on the day Etan disappeared. Of course, he became the prime suspect! Ramos reveled in the attention and got great satisfaction out of taunting GraBois.

I understand your frustration that Hernandez has been free for 33 years. But I don't think it was at all because investigators had too narrow a focus on Ramos. The investigations lead them to him; his statements made him the prime suspect. Ultimately, Ramos was never charged because the evidence developed did not rise to the standard necessary.

I found an interesting video that may be the bodega and possibly Hernandez's brother-in-law from the early days.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/47106472#47106472

When the news broke on Thursday, I went looking for a video I'd seen during the search of the basement last month. It's of William Butler, the detective who retraced Etan's steps daily and later committed suicide. Butler goes into a bodega and asks the man behind the counter if anyone was talking about the Patz case. I was checking if the man's name was Pedro. It wasn't. It's Juan.

According to this article, Hernandez was working at the bodega with sister Luz's husband, Juan Santana at the time Etan disappeared.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/waiting_for_killer_to_snap_c9eI26iqgDtq7in0NcN3gO/1

Other sources said that Juan owned the bodega.

Hernandez contacted his sister Luz last month to discuss the search of Miller's basement. He has had very little contact with Luz in years and he wasn't calling to make chit-chat, she said.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...al-confessor-who-broke-the-Etan-Patz-cold-cas

Is the bodega in the Butler video the right bodega? I've read there was only one in the area at the time. I wonder if this is Pedro's brother-in-law in the Butler video?

I found an interesting video that may be the bodega and possibly Hernandez's brother-in-law from the early days.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/47106472#47106472

When the news broke on Thursday, I went looking for a video I'd seen during the search of the basement last month. It's of William Butler, the detective who retraced Etan's steps daily and later committed suicide. Butler goes into a bodega and asks the man behind the counter if anyone was talking about the Patz case. I was checking if the man's name was Pedro. It wasn't. It's Juan.

According to this article, Hernandez was working at the bodega with sister Luz's husband, Juan Santana at the time Etan disappeared.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/waiting_for_killer_to_snap_c9eI26iqgDtq7in0NcN3gO/1

Other sources said that Juan owned the bodega.

Hernandez contacted his sister Luz last month to discuss the search of Miller's basement. He has had very little contact with Luz in years and he wasn't calling to make chit-chat, she said.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...al-confessor-who-broke-the-Etan-Patz-cold-cas

Is the bodega in the Butler video the right bodega? I've read there

Bodhi - Thanking your post is not enough!

Great, great find, thank-you SO MUCH for sharing.

I am sure that is the Begoda! That poor, poor Detective, who was so tormented by Etan's case. OMG.

Thank-you for posting, it actually gave us street views at the time of Etan's disappearance, and was inside the bodega! Incredible that you found that. Fascinating!

:yourock::gthanks:

For those people wondering about carrying 50lbs... here's a real life example most people can identify with: 2 cases of 16 oz bottled water is 48lbs. It's nothing to see a stock boy carry 2 or even 3 cases of water around.

New Info here:

The brooding Hernandez — whose family members told cops they believe is gay — had been working at the deli with his sister Luz’s husband, Juan Santana, at the time, Monticello said.

“Pedro wasn’t a friendly guy, he didn’t smile very much,” Monticello said. “He was 19, but he looked older, and he wasn’t a guy you wanted to really hang around with.”

Relatives said he struggled through his adult life. In his 30s, Hernandez went to work for a dress company but got injured on the job and started popping prescription meds, Suarez said

In the late 1990s, Hernandez was diagnosed as bipolar, according to Suarez and another sister, Margarita Lopez.

“One day he was very happy, and the next day he wasn’t,” Suarez said. “We really didn’t know what was wrong with him. He lived a very private life. He would never tell us if he was broke or sick.”

He also has cancer and four years ago was hospitalized and diagnosed with HIV, Suarez said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/..._to_snap_c9eI26iqgDtq7in0NcN3gO#ixzz1vzk5FsHb

This information keeps coming up, and it is very, very, concerning and disturbing.

I believe PH's sister and brother-in-law to be sincere in what they are saying.

Wow.

In an interview with the New York Post tabloid published on Saturday, Hernandez's sister, Lucy Suarez, said that his family knew about his claims and that he had tried to confess to police in 1979 but been dismissed as not involved.

"Every time the Patz anniversary came up, and we saw it on TV, we would always get haunted by it," Suarez told the newspaper. "I would say, 'Why doesn't he turn himself in? And my sister said, 'He did, but the police let him go because they said he was too crazy'," she added.

However, though police interviewed several people who worked at the grocery store where Hernandez was a stock boy, no evidence has yet emerged that Hernandez was ever spoken to by police

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/26/etan-patz-prosecutor-questions-charges?newsfeed=true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member