MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

It is really hard to bring myself to suspect a grieving mother of having anything to do with her child's demise. But I just cannot understand how a mother could walk away from two toddlers, who are sitting in the jaws of the angry ocean, just so she can retrieve a tennis ball. It makes no sense to me at all. Like most mothers, I have done dumb things that have put my kids in harms way. I have turned my back on them in a toy store to get something from the next aisle and sneak it into the cart. Left a sleeping baby in the back seat of the car while I stepped up the the outside ATM, all the while keeping on eye on the car. Stupid decisions, admittedly.

But when I saw just how far she had to walk, and where it was she left her two little girls, it was astonishing. And she knows the danger the ocean holds. It just does not seem possible that she would go so far away without understanding the likely outcome, imo.

So when people argue that we all do stupid things, and we all put our kids in danger in some ways, I agree. But this situation went beyond the usual safety gamble. IMO

Is there anyone still checking all along the beaches where she could have washed up?

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fam...gone_and_so_was_familys_center/?p1=News_links

I think the most interesting part of this article is on page 6, a quote from Caleigh's aunt (Dad's sister):

But his sister, Catherine Curcuru, doesn’t mince words. “I don’t deny that she loves her kids, but there’s a difference between loving your kids and parenting your kids. This was no accident, not in my eyes. It could have been prevented.’’

In fact, Curcuru says, Allison has lost sight of the girls other times, including incidents at the beach that Curcuru’s children, 10 and 7, have reported. Last summer, she says, Lizzie was lost at Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester for 45 minutes. A friend who was with Allison told Curcuru about it. After that, Curcuru told Allison that her children would not be returning to the beach with her.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fam...gone_and_so_was_familys_center/?p1=News_links

I think the most interesting part of this article is on page 6, a quote from Caleigh's aunt (Dad's sister):

But his sister, Catherine Curcuru, doesn’t mince words. “I don’t deny that she loves her kids, but there’s a difference between loving your kids and parenting your kids. This was no accident, not in my eyes. It could have been prevented.’’

In fact, Curcuru says, Allison has lost sight of the girls other times, including incidents at the beach that Curcuru’s children, 10 and 7, have reported. Last summer, she says, Lizzie was lost at Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester for 45 minutes. A friend who was with Allison told Curcuru about it. After that, Curcuru told Allison that her children would not be returning to the beach with her.

Was just going to post that url/snip. Finally father's family is speaking out what they felt from beginning....

Although Hammond's love for her children has never been questioned, her ability to discipline them has.

"Allison has always been loose, relaxed, with the kids," her sister-in-law, Catherine Curcuru, said in an earlier interview with the Times.

-------------------------------------

L*****, Harrison knows, needs more professional help than she is receiving.
But so far, he says, the family has been more concerned with just stabilizing the little girl.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/archive/x1647282923/Dad-focuses-on-Caleighs-return

From the same link:
http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-27/lifestyle/31869931_1_caleigh-family-circle-family-members/6

In fact, Curcuru says, Allison has lost sight of the girls other times, including incidents at the beach that Curcuru’s children, 10 and 7, have reported. Last summer, she says, Lizzie was lost at Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester for 45 minutes. A friend who was with Allison told Cuzrcuru about it. After that, Curcuru told Allison that her children would not be returning to the beach with her.

Allison acknowledges that Lizzie “took off’’ at the beach twice last summer, but denies losing her. “Once, Lizzie went one way, and Caleigh went the other, so I went after Caleigh. The second time, Lizzie went off after her cousins without telling me.’’ She adds: “This is two times out of dozens of times we went to the beach.’’

I really hesitate to judge this mother, but geez Louise.....these children are so very young, and yet in their short lives she has struggled to keep up with their whereabouts not once, or twice, but at least 3 times. That seems to be extreme, no?

From the same link:
http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-27/lifestyle/31869931_1_caleigh-family-circle-family-members/6

I really hesitate to judge this mother, but geez Louise.....these children are so very young, and yet in their short lives she has struggled to keep up with their whereabouts not once, or twice, but at least 3 times. That seems to be extreme, no?

If it happened three times on the beach alone (where the proximity of the deadly ocean and the remembrance of the horror of the previous time her child went missing there) would likely make any mother keep the kids in a shorter leash than normal) it must have happened several times elsewhere imo.

Something's not right.

Allison acknowledges that Lizzie “took off’’ at the beach twice last summer, but denies losing her. “Once, Lizzie went one way, and Caleigh went the other, so I went after Caleigh. The second time, Lizzie went off after her cousins without telling me.’’

How does that differ from losing her? Either way she didn't know where her child was. Is she denying "losing her" in the sense "I didn't lose her because she didn't die that time"?

I would imagine the CPS involvement came about partly from these statements from the sister-in-law...JMO

I think it's "I didn't lose her because SHE is the one who took off on ME."

Basically L****, a 3 year old (at the time,) should have told HER MOTHER that she was going somewhere else.

It's not MY job to watch the toddlers 100% of the time, it's THEIR job to tell me where they are going?? :waitasec:

Reminds me of the woman who lost her toddler in the woods. He was found alive and a press conference held.
The mother said "we had 6 kids, we only lost one... I think we did pretty good." :what:

The look on the face of the poor man who's son remains lost in those mountains... it was heartbreaking. I wanted to smack her.

These comments from Allison sound very much like that woman's comments. Definitely odd ways to think of parenting. :twocents:

Am a little lost on this one. Would you be saying something along these lines...say a grandchild was with me at times when I reacted to my husband in the way described in post you quoted. Over time she would assume a similar reaction when in a similar situation?

I am sure this falls late... but a woman who had kids in my daughter's playgroup saw her daughter "answer" a toy phone that was part of a play kitchen. The girl chattered on and on, gesturing with her free hand and occasionally twisting the phone cord. The mom immediately recognized those as the gestures she makes when on the phone. Her daughter had never actually had a phone conversation at age 3, but knew how to act by having watched mom. When her mom attempted to get her attention to leave, she pressed the phone against her chest and said "I am ON the PHONE. Now go play with your toys until I'm through" We ALL ROFL'd

I am sure this falls late... but a woman who had kids in my daughter's playgroup saw her daughter "answer" a toy phone that was part of a play kitchen. The girl chattered on and on, gesturing with her free hand and occasionally twisting the phone cord. The mom immediately recognized those as the gestures she makes when on the phone. Her daughter had never actually had a phone conversation at age 3, but knew how to act by having watched mom. When her mom attempted to get her attention to leave, she pressed the phone against her chest and said "I am ON the PHONE. Now go play with your toys until I'm through" We ALL ROFL'd

Lisa -
yes.
that completely jives with the point I was trying to make regarding the parroting of the parent.
I think Allison needs to lay off the yellow #5 -
maybe get honest with the dialogue of that fateful morning
because the bottom line is
even if Lizzie pushed her in herself
[which seems like taboo to even say but altogether quite possible ]
it was the parents role to parent the child...
worse even still
if it is one of the alternative scenarios
that may have occurred -
putting full responsibility and ultimate fate of a toddler
in the hands of a 4 year old.

Still looking for more info on this one. Not having any luck though :(

Thanks for looking...it's like I posted earlier, the atmosphere seems to be "oh well, she's gone - that's the end of that." :what:

"FOX 25's Tyisha Fernandes asked Allison Hammond if Lizzie has been asking where her sister is.

"No, because she knows nobody knows, and I know she's confused about it because she was the last one to see her. She says, I didn't see anything, I didn't hear anything, it's just hard on her," says Hammond. "

http://wap.myfoxboston.com/w/main/story/66037415/

I can remember when my daughter was 4-she never would have stopped asking if she didn't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back