Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Luka Rocco Magnotta AKA Eric Newman

Notices

Luka Rocco Magnotta AKA Eric Newman Charged in the brutal murder and dismemberment of Lin Jun. Please join our discussion about this bizarre and tragic case.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM
JBean JBean is offline
WS Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dana Point,CA
Posts: 20,221
The distribution of body parts

please discuss the distribution of the body parts and the possible significance here.

Last edited by JBean; 06-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
nursebeeme's Avatar
nursebeeme nursebeeme is offline
WS Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
Posts: 52,141
link to the rules:
Post to all: PLEASE READ - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
__________________
This bee my opinion
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 AM
claudicici's Avatar
claudicici claudicici is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,806
I wonder if the torso was found in a suitcase because he initially thought of taking it along .....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
HastingsChi's Avatar
HastingsChi HastingsChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,464
The Human Remains & Vancouver Schools

In examining the distribution of the victims remains via the Canadian Post and the killer's chosen "targets", targeting Quebec government offices seems to make sense for someone who wanted to make a statement and gain media visibility; however I have not been able to understand the choice of the two Vancouver schools.

The only information regarding a possible connection between Vancouver and Magnotta comes to us from the Vancouver Sun in an article found here:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pol...645/story.html

While this cursory information provides somewhat of a connection, to me, it doesn't help us understand the chosen targets:

Is there a significance to the names False Creek Elementary School or St. George's School that Magnotta would have found important/appealing?

Did he have ties to anyone that is an employee of either school? (Maybe he was targeting someone specific and found conflicting information in his search whereas on a site like LinkedIn this person may have listed one school as current employer but on another social media site the other school was listed as current employer??)

IMO there must be a more in-depth reasoning beyond terrorizing children/causing a panic among parents to explain targeting theses schools...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HastingsChi For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
pannekoek pannekoek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
Iím a bit confused about the body parts thing. I might be lost in translation bec english isnt my native tonque. Maby someone can enlighten me.

The police found Lin Junís torso in a suitcase in the alley. To my recollection/knowledge they didnt say they found any other body parts there. Afterworth they stated the head and limbs were missing.

LM cut off almost the complete arms, legs and head, leaving a torso. The two hands and feet were mailed, and the torso was found. That leaves my question and source of confusion: where are the arms and legs? Did they find them in the alley?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pannekoek For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
matou's Avatar
matou matou is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannekoek View Post
Iím a bit confused about the body parts thing. I might be lost in translation bec english isnt my native tonque. Maby someone can enlighten me.

The police found Lin Junís torso in a suitcase in the alley. To my recollection/knowledge they didnt say they found any other body parts there. Afterworth they stated the head and limbs were missing.

LM cut off almost the complete arms, legs and head, leaving a torso. The two hands and feet were mailed, and the torso was found. That leaves my question and source of confusion: where are the arms and legs? Did they find them in the alley?
I think the arm and legs were found on the scene, either in the apartment or in the alley near where the suitcase and garbage was left. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM
sillybilly's Avatar
sillybilly sillybilly is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: State of Confusion, Canada
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsChi View Post
In examining the distribution of the victims remains via the Canadian Post and the killer's chosen "targets", targeting Quebec government offices seems to make sense for someone who wanted to make a statement and gain media visibility; however I have not been able to understand the choice of the two Vancouver schools.

The only information regarding a possible connection between Vancouver and Magnotta comes to us from the Vancouver Sun in an article found here:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pol...645/story.html

While this cursory information provides somewhat of a connection, to me, it doesn't help us understand the chosen targets:

Is there a significance to the names False Creek Elementary School or St. George's School that Magnotta would have found important/appealing?

Did he have ties to anyone that is an employee of either school? (Maybe he was targeting someone specific and found conflicting information in his search whereas on a site like LinkedIn this person may have listed one school as current employer but on another social media site the other school was listed as current employer??)

IMO there must be a more in-depth reasoning beyond terrorizing children/causing a panic among parents to explain targeting theses schools...

Thoughts?
Oh boy ... i've been avoiding this like the plague, but here goes for an attempt at explanation that doesn't really explain:

I am in BC, and the first day (possibly second) after the packages were received by the schools, it was on BC tv that the schools selected were was possibly in relation to our Premier's son. I've never heard it again, if there was any truth to it, it was hushed tout suite. I did some checking at the time and IMO there could be some substance to what was said. HOWEVER, we are NOT ALLOWED to discuss minors here so i'm limited to that as an explanation and my hands are tied.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
HastingsChi's Avatar
HastingsChi HastingsChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Oh boy ... i've been avoiding this like the plague, but here goes for an attempt at explanation that doesn't really explain:

I am in BC, and the first day (possibly second) after the packages were received by the schools, it was on BC tv that the schools selected were was possibly in relation to our Premier's son. I've never heard it again, if there was any truth to it, it was hushed tout suite. I did some checking at the time and IMO there could be some substance to what was said. HOWEVER, we are NOT ALLOWED to discuss minors here so i'm limited to that as an explanation and my hands are tied.
Silly you're keeping your streak of sharing info that completely fascinates me and sets me on a mission to try to find supplemental info. Thank You!

Do you (or anyone that wants to jump in) think the other remains (minus the head) were intercepted prior to delivery by LE and that info was not made public?

Aside from the shock value and possible attempt to give the impression that the sender was an anti-immigration extremist, why else might Magnotta send the remains to political targets?

Does anyone find it odd that he didn't send remains to personal targets he considered to be enemies: former friends/lovers, the animal rights groups that hunted him, media figures he believed attacked him with words?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
sillybilly's Avatar
sillybilly sillybilly is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: State of Confusion, Canada
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsChi View Post
Silly you're keeping your streak of sharing info that completely fascinates me and sets me on a mission to try to find supplemental info. Thank You!

Do you (or anyone that wants to jump in) think the other remains (minus the head) were intercepted prior to delivery by LE and that info was not made public?

Aside from the shock value and possible attempt to give the impression that the sender was an anti-immigration extremist, why else might Magnotta send the remains to political targets?

Does anyone find it odd that he didn't send remains to personal targets he considered to be enemies: former friends/lovers, the animal rights groups that hunted him, media figures he believed attacked him with words?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II
:P

I'm confused by what i've bolded in your post above. To our knowledge, the only missing body part not delivered is the head ... all other packages were delivered, not intercepted, and all that info was made public, presumably because LE just wasn't prepared for the Vancouver deliveries, and the timeframe didn't allow for them to get it all under wraps.

IMO, it is possible that the head has in fact been either intercepted or delivered, and that info has been hushed (possibly because of who it was addressed to, and/or out of extreme respect for Lin Jun's family). I know that it has been stated that LE will be questioning LRM regarding the location of that body part, but just wonder if perhaps that particular info was disseminated to the public to keep us from knowing.

Re personal targets vs the public ones he chose, could simply be in his sick mind he thought there would be more shock value because Conservative and Liberal politicians represent such a large percentage of the Canadian public. Who the heck really knows what went through THAT particular brain?

BTW, before the Vancouver deliveries and prior to LRM being arrested, I posted that he was following two Vancouver accounts, one of them being the Vancouver Canucks. Maybe i've gone blind, but for some reason I can no longer see him following the Vancouver Canucks on that Twitter account, and I think only the follower can "unfollow" (for lack of whatever nice techie term might be more appropriate ).

ETA: Maybe it was a big FU to all Canadians before he left for Europe, thinking he was putting us all behind him and he would go with his new life.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM
sinwonderland sinwonderland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Hate to bring this up but I read it on a couple of news sites and never heard much again... was the penis cut off and mailed or not? I've read yes and no... but not heard anything definitive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
sillybilly's Avatar
sillybilly sillybilly is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: State of Confusion, Canada
Posts: 6,788
I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a link right now sinwonder, but LE did more recently indicate that all parts were accounted for except the skull.

Will try to find a link later for you, but have to run now ... big storm just moved in and i want to get some din-dins before we lose power.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Haunted82's Avatar
Haunted82 Haunted82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinwonderland View Post
Hate to bring this up but I read it on a couple of news sites and never heard much again... was the penis cut off and mailed or not? I've read yes and no... but not heard anything definitive.
I recall from the video that when the torso was shown dismembered it was completely intact and seemingly unscathed. But there's never been any public reporting on. What's weird is, only portions of the first note to the Conservative party has ever been spoken about, which claimed 6 packages in total. That leaves 2 packages unaccounted for (possibly the head if it was sent somewhere plus another unaccounted for package). There's a possiblity that the other package(s) may have been lost, damaged/and or disposed of , perhaps they were leaking and the posties just junked it ... wouldn't be the first time they've failed to deliver.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM
sinwonderland sinwonderland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
I imagine they checked unclaimed baggage at the airport?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Haunted82's Avatar
Haunted82 Haunted82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinwonderland View Post
I imagine they checked unclaimed baggage at the airport?
Yes, they always do. I doubt he carried anything to do with the body with him.
In fact, he was likely operating out of a simple backpack when on the lamb in Europe. Interestingly, he didn't even seem to have a bag of any kind when he walked into the internet cafe. Was it at a hotel, or was he down to just the clothes on his back at that point?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Scientific Scientific is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 118
I seem to remember someone saying that in the airport photos Luka is seen with some sort of small bag. Later the authorities found some of his belongings (porn and airplane barf bags) already at a hotel in France, after Luka had traveled to Germany. He had left his cell phone in a cab, probably to escape detection by law enforcement. I'm not sure whether Luka had other many belongings on him after that aside from the clothing he was wearing. Though he might have bought a lot of new stuff wherever he went; he did buy some pliers during his time in France, I believe.

Luka might have mailed the head to himself somewhere in Europe or sent it to someone he knew whom he would meet up with shortly.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06...anhunt-france/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted82 View Post
Yes, they always do. I doubt he carried anything to do with the body with him.
In fact, he was likely operating out of a simple backpack when on the lamb in Europe. Interestingly, he didn't even seem to have a bag of any kind when he walked into the internet cafe. Was it at a hotel, or was he down to just the clothes on his back at that point?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Scientific Scientific is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 118
If fits the pattern of him copying and trying to outdo other serial killers (and psychotic movie characters). For instance, the Zodiac Killer and Jack the Ripper sent letters to the authorities. Luka would feel that much more cocky about sending letters in a threatening manner, to important political figures. It creates the greatest amount of attention with him feeling he is at the center like a puppet master. Sometimes disempowered people do crazy things to feel powerful. Also, Luka redirected his rage since he felt powerless to take it out on the people he had relations with. ...IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsChi View Post

Does anyone find it odd that he didn't send remains to personal targets he considered to be enemies: former friends/lovers, the animal rights groups that hunted him, media figures he believed attacked him with words?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Sunday Sunday is offline
Insidious Menace
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 336
Since there were notes accompanying the body parts I am sure that there is some large significance as to the selection of recipients. I think it's strange that he has not left behind some sort of indicators in any of his online rants.

Did the police find the video on his computer or on his video device?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Haunted82's Avatar
Haunted82 Haunted82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Since there were notes accompanying the body parts I am sure that there is some large significance as to the selection of recipients. I think it's strange that he has not left behind some sort of indicators in any of his online rants.

Did the police find the video on his computer or on his video device?
They didn't specify what type of device other than saying "his computer" . My guess is it was a laptop or similiar, and it was in one of the garbage bags recovered at the apartment alley.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Haunted82's Avatar
Haunted82 Haunted82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I seem to remember someone saying that in the airport photos Luka is seen with some sort of small bag. Later the authorities found some of his belongings (porn and airplane barf bags) already at a hotel in France, after Luka had traveled to Germany. He had left his cell phone in a cab, probably to escape detection by law enforcement. I'm not sure whether Luka had other many belongings on him after that aside from the clothing he was wearing. Though he might have bought a lot of new stuff wherever he went; he did buy some pliers during his time in France, I believe.

Luka might have mailed the head to himself somewhere in Europe or sent it to someone he knew whom he would meet up with shortly.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06...anhunt-france/
I read a different version regarding the phone. I saw a French media report that it was ditched in a trash can at the Metro before boarding to Berlin. A cleaner found it and even used it to make a call to his family in S.America or Carribean.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haunted82 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body Parts Found On Island martin walkerdine Crimes in the News 27 07-12-2008 08:57 PM
Artist Bakes Edible 'Body Parts' Gozgals Bizarre and Off-Beat News 6 09-11-2005 04:19 PM
Stowaway's body parts rain down LinasK Bizarre and Off-Beat News 0 06-08-2005 05:14 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!