Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified > Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976

Notices

Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 Help ID Them!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Ambercat's Avatar
Ambercat Ambercat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by websurfer View Post
I wondered about Christopher King, too, but I might have his case confused with someone else because I thought he was going to Mexico with a woman, who was also missing. He might be too short and have too light of a complexion to be the male UID.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1752/74

I found the woman, I mistakenly thought went to Mexico with Christopher King. Her name is Linda Miller. She went to Mexico with someone named Cary Kristal (I am not sure if he is also missing) and never returned in 1973. I'm not sure if Ms. Miller and Mr. Krystal could be the mystery couple.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11802/57

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Replaced Linda Miller image with smaller one.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:
  #352  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Ambercat's Avatar
Ambercat Ambercat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,130
Have Stephen Packard and Linda Lovell ever been looked into/ruled out as being the mystery couple? I searched the threads and saw a lot of couples who went missing together mentioned, but not them.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14418/70

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9136/71
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:
  #353  
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Tear Drop Tear Drop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
Boating company owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterylover View Post
Liz, I read a long time back, the males dental work was of exceptional quality..very expensive and of quality workmanship.
I also read where a Gentleman that owned a Boating company claimed to have known who they were before he suddenly died.

Does anyone remember reading that just by 'coincidence' the house/office that housed the camping files, names, personal info of all the campers just 'happened' to burn up after the couple was murdered...
Why is it taking years and years to get the DNA results...everything in this case is hinky..Hmmmmmm!..imo
I was wondering where this information about a boating company owner came from? Could you please explain.....and yes.....this is very hinky!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tear Drop For This Useful Post:
  #354  
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
marie-chantal's Avatar
marie-chantal marie-chantal is offline
Language analyst
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 881
Wow Ambercat. All four of those people that you have posted look similar to the couple!
__________________
Do you have language questions or letters/documents that you'd like to have examined in order to determine the language background of the writer? I can help!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marie-chantal For This Useful Post:
  #355  
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
CarlK90245's Avatar
CarlK90245 CarlK90245 is offline
UID Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Segundo, California
Posts: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post

...

I found the woman, I mistakenly thought went to Mexico with Christopher King. Her name is Linda Miller. She went to Mexico with someone named Cary Kristal (I am not sure if he is also missing) and never returned in 1973. I'm not sure if Ms. Miller and Mr. Krystal could be the mystery couple.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11802/57
Here's a photo of Cary Wendell Kristal:



BTW - Several months ago, I spoke with the detective in charge of Linda Miller's case, and he says that Ms. Miller and Mr. Kristal were down in Guadalajara protesting against the government on behalf of the farmers. The hotel that they were staying at burned to the ground, and it is presumed that they were inside. But their bodies were never recovered.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
  #356  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
websurfer's Avatar
websurfer websurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Summers are short here...
Posts: 2,295
As always I say they were murdered by a serial killer



It seems to me the couple was lured by maybe a Hitchiker type person?
No sexual assault means could be another couple?
Maybe a couple did this?
__________________




#789UMCO unidentified found The victim was discovered on September 8, 2004 in the Flat Tops, White River National Forest, Garfield County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: No longer than 5 years prior to discovery he left a note to "LIB"
PLEASE HELP me find out who this unidentified person is so he can be buried rightfully near his family...


I DO NOT TOLERATE HARASSMENT...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to websurfer For This Useful Post:
  #357  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM
websurfer's Avatar
websurfer websurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Summers are short here...
Posts: 2,295
definately similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
Have Stephen Packard and Linda Lovell ever been looked into/ruled out as being the mystery couple? I searched the threads and saw a lot of couples who went missing together mentioned, but not them.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14418/70

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9136/71
__________________




#789UMCO unidentified found The victim was discovered on September 8, 2004 in the Flat Tops, White River National Forest, Garfield County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: No longer than 5 years prior to discovery he left a note to "LIB"
PLEASE HELP me find out who this unidentified person is so he can be buried rightfully near his family...


I DO NOT TOLERATE HARASSMENT...
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to websurfer For This Useful Post:
  #358  
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
brit1981 brit1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,473
I read that John Doe had extensive dental work - bridge and caps etc. To me this sounds more like he was in an accident and had repairs done, rather than just bad teeth. I know someone who in the seventies was in an accident where their lower face took the impact and they had to have a lot of dental work involving caps and bridges to repair the damage. If someone had had that sort fo work it might also slightly change the way they looked as well (not that much though I would have thought).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brit1981 For This Useful Post:
  #359  
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 AM
liz b. liz b. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit1981 View Post
I read that John Doe had extensive dental work - bridge and caps etc. To me this sounds more like he was in an accident and had repairs done, rather than just bad teeth. I know someone who in the seventies was in an accident where their lower face took the impact and they had to have a lot of dental work involving caps and bridges to repair the damage. If someone had had that sort fo work it might also slightly change the way they looked as well (not that much though I would have thought).
The young guy had also had several root canals done along with the other dental work... which would probably indicate tooth decay... and if he had oral surgery following an accident, it would probably have shown up in the autopsy results...

Actually, the dental work could indicate someone who had been very poor, and not had any access to a dentist. And then came into quite a lot of $$$ and had his teeth worked on, including some expensive cosmetic dentistry...

And they had both had recent manicures and pedicures...

One possibility : mid seventies... possibly Latino... seemed to have a lot of disposable $$$ ( manicures,pedicures etc )...in the south,possibly with some connections to Florida.

Wonder if they were Colombians...?
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Fukiyama Fukiyama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz b. View Post
One possibility : mid seventies... possibly Latino... seemed to have a lot of disposable $$$ ( manicures,pedicures etc )...in the south,possibly with some connections to Florida.

Wonder if they were Colombians...?
Liz, that's possible, but if you want to take the documentary Cocaine Cowboys at face value as far as the time line set out by the men and women interviewed, the Colombians associated with the Cartels only really showed up later in the very late 70s. The case of the Mystery Couple just feels too early to be tied up with the hardcore drug scene as it developed in Florida a few years later.
Reply With Quote
  #361  
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
liz b. liz b. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukiyama View Post
Liz, that's possible, but if you want to take the documentary Cocaine Cowboys at face value as far as the time line set out by the men and women interviewed, the Colombians associated with the Cartels only really showed up later in the very late 70s. The case of the Mystery Couple just feels too early to be tied up with the hardcore drug scene as it developed in Florida a few years later.
IDK about that movie ? Have never seen it. But I lived in Miami during the mid 70's...lotsa coke seemed to come in...lot of people looking to make $$$...I would say that in the mid 70's turf was being carved out ; mid level distributors fighting for their place in the heirarchy...Just a thought, and JMO...

As a result of this supply, I remember that rock cocaine ( much later called "crack" )was in plentiful supply in Manhattan from 1977 onwards....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:
  #362  
Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Swamp Fox Trot Swamp Fox Trot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukiyama View Post
Liz, that's possible, but if you want to take the documentary Cocaine Cowboys at face value as far as the time line set out by the men and women interviewed, the Colombians associated with the Cartels only really showed up later in the very late 70s. The case of the Mystery Couple just feels too early to be tied up with the hardcore drug scene as it developed in Florida a few years later.
I recently watched that same movie and noticed the same thing about the timeline. However I just saw in Posada's CIA file that the agency suspected him of trafficking cocaine from Colombia in 1973, so there were some drugs, money, and arms floating around by then.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Fox Trot For This Useful Post:
  #363  
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Swamp Fox Trot Swamp Fox Trot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
Thanks PHB... then we are back to the question of why do reports indicate the couple was shot with .357, but the "murder weapon" found in Lonnie George Henry's car was a .38 Smith and Wesson? We have discussed how aspects of this case seemed like a cover-up in the past. The thing is - at this point, I just want the victims to have their identity back.....
Both the bullets and the gun were described as .357 Magnum. Here's a 1994 article: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...77+latta&hl=en

The original news item about SLED testing the gun (ca. January 1977) also said it was a .357 Magnum.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swamp Fox Trot For This Useful Post:
  #364  
Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Tear Drop Tear Drop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
It is solvable!!

After watching several “disappeared” episodes, I felt compelled to try and solve a missing persons case myself. I started in my own state of SC and trolled around looking for cases that seemed solvable, which led me to this case. I believe, like so many others, that this couple had to have a family that was missing them and there was enough pieces of the puzzle to at least identify this couple. IT IS SOLVABLE!!!

I first started by eliminating missing people from 1976, and essentially eliminated all but a handful of missing persons. I kept coming back to Michael and Cordelia Mcminn, a couple from Portland, Oregon who went missing in May of 1976. Information about their disappearance wasn’t posted on missing person websites until 2008. At first glance, it seemed to be a “lost at sea” tale, but after doing some more investigating, there seems like something else was going on. They were spotted within 25 miles of their port of destination and LE has confirmed spottings in Canadian waters just north of the border as late as July. After doing some research about Michael and Cordelia Mcminn’s disappearance, it became clear (at least from news articles) that drug smuggling seemed to be a central theme in their disappearance. It was speculated that couple was high jacked and murdered by drug smugglers. On the other hand, in another news article, that references the Mcminn’s disappearance, the DEA indicates that high jacking of boats by drug smugglers for the purpose of smuggling drugs was not common, due to the fact that drug smuggling operations aren’t interested stealing boats, since they have plenty of money to buy boats and drug smugglers like to remain low key. Also, their boat was only a 25’ trimaran, not an expensive boat. Moreover, their boat was installed with an automatic radio beacon that would have been activated in the event that boat was sinking that the search parties would have easily located. Could the Mcminn’s been involved with drug smuggling themselves and were purposefully eluding authorities?

That being said, I also believe drug smuggling is at the center of the Sumter case. I think these are not drifters or hitchhikers as some people have suggested. I believe, for many reasons, foremost because they were to have been staying at the KOA, indicating they most likely had a vehicle or a camper. Also because of a news article which I have not seen any discussion about. A news article about a mechanic in York, Nebraska (where there is a Grant’s truck stop) who said he recognized John Doe and he had done repairs on their vehicle. He also stated that he remembered the license plate had either OREGON, or Washington plates. The most direct route from Portland or Vancouver region to SC goes through York, NE……….Hmmmm….

At this time in the drug smuggling history, camper vans were the vehicle of choice for the distribution of drugs(LE believes the tire tracks were from a van). Could Jane and John Doe have been smuggling drugs? According to David Batson, the guy at the KOA who shot pool with John Doe stated the couple was driving back and forth to Florida via I-95(The largest drug cable in the US). John Doe also stated “I was disowned for being a teacher rather than doctor…. like his father….and being from Canada” as one person described it…… “It sounds like something out of a Victorian novel”. This was a fabricated story to explain his North Eastern accent and why they are so far from home and are available to travel so much. If they are drug smugglers on the run, it would sound like a very likely story. The fact that the couple had been to Florida the year before, based on the ’75 IMSA shirt John Doe was wearing, also lends itself to this theory. The whole thing stinks of drug smuggling. Ultimately, I think Jane and John doe were executed for being a liability to the drug smuggling organization. I have also interviewed someone else that said they saw them at the campground.

During my investigation, I also saw that Reannan had contacted Michael’s brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
...

I stumbled on the following information today about a missing couple from the April/May 1976 time frame. I have never seen their names anywhere else, and it is infact, hard to find information on them. I can't find a description anywhere. Apparently, they were a young couple from Portland, Oregon with ties to Vancouver, Canada. They must have been fairly affluent because they sailed from Hawaii to Oregon for several years. They went missing on a sailing trip in May of 1976. There was one article from a September 1976 Newspaper that "the family" had launched an investigation. No mention of LE being involved. And the other thing I found was a posting on a Cruisingworld.com webiste by the brother of the missing man from August of this year (2008). How timely, huh? No where is there a description of the couple. So....I registered at the cruisingworld.com site and responded to his query with directions to our thread here. Can't hurt. The missing couple's name was Michael and Coredlia McMinn, both around 26 years old.

I have also contacted the brother and it is his position, as it was then, that he doesn’t believe that this is his brother and sister in law based on looking at photos. I think there are several reasons that can explain why he was unable to make an identification. Primarily, because it would be tough to identify anyone with so many varying composites and crummy photos, and also because of the enormous amount of time that has passed.





When I look at these photos, especially Carl’s composites, I see the same people. Thanks Carl for such fantastic composites! Also, I believe you can see a mole on Cordelia’s cheek. Michael Mcminn had a piece of metal pierce his shoulder in a motorcycle collision with a street sweeper rear view mirror which would explain the scars on his shoulder. Cordelia has blue/green eyes. All physical characteristics match: height, weight, hair color, eye color. I have been in contact with both families and they are willing to submit to DNA testing. This process will begin soon and I will keep the community updated with the progress.
I apologize for the length of the post, as I am new to websleuths. I have read every post on websleuths on this case. I think there has been some amazing investigating taking place on websleuths, by far the most in depth discussion of this case. I have conducted several interviews and have way more to post, but I will keep it short for now. I think the IMSA connection is the missing connection as some people have alluded to.

I think more compelling than anything else, is this that this explains why two families never went looking for their family members. They haven’t been looking for them, because they thought they were already deceased!

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tear Drop For This Useful Post:
  #365  
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
CarlK90245's Avatar
CarlK90245 CarlK90245 is offline
UID Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Segundo, California
Posts: 6,176
Thanks for posting this Tear Drop. I think this is a very interesting possible match.

In response to your comment as to why Michael's brother might not recognize him. It could be that his brother never saw him clean-shaven. As you told me prior to your posting this message, he was much younger than Michael.

Also, I think the embalming gave the John Doe's lips a swollen, puckered look that I don't think was there when he was alive.

Just for clarification to the other members: Tear Drop contacted me prior to posting his message, and showed me the photos that he had obtained. I then modified my facial reconstruction of the John Doe to show how he would look with glasses, lambchop sideburns, and a bushy moustache, and put together the two montages shown in Tear Drop's post above.

I think with those modifications the resemblance for both Michael and Cordelia to the John and Jane doe are amazing.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 07-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
  #366  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Swamp Fox Trot Swamp Fox Trot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear Drop View Post
Moreover, their boat was installed with an automatic radio beacon that would have been activated in the event that boat was sinking that the search parties would have easily located.
I question that assertion. One of the articles I saw said the boat only had a receiver, not a transmitter; another said it had a beacon with a range of 150 miles, when taking a little 25' sail-powered trimaran thousands of miles from Hawaii to Canada. We can't rule out that they were simply swallowed by the ocean somewhere. (This doesn't prove your suggested scenario didn't happen though.)
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swamp Fox Trot For This Useful Post:
  #367  
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Reannan's Avatar
Reannan Reannan is offline
Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear Drop View Post
After watching several “disappeared” episodes, I felt compelled to try and solve a missing persons case myself. I started in my own state of SC and trolled around looking for cases that seemed solvable, which led me to this case. I believe, like so many others, that this couple had to have a family that was missing them and there was enough pieces of the puzzle to at least identify this couple. IT IS SOLVABLE!!!

I first started by eliminating missing people from 1976, and essentially eliminated all but a handful of missing persons. I kept coming back to Michael and Cordelia Mcminn, a couple from Portland, Oregon who went missing in May of 1976. Information about their disappearance wasn’t posted on missing person websites until 2008. At first glance, it seemed to be a “lost at sea” tale, but after doing some more investigating, there seems like something else was going on. They were spotted within 25 miles of their port of destination and LE has confirmed spottings in Canadian waters just north of the border as late as July. After doing some research about Michael and Cordelia Mcminn’s disappearance, it became clear (at least from news articles) that drug smuggling seemed to be a central theme in their disappearance. It was speculated that couple was high jacked and murdered by drug smugglers. On the other hand, in another news article, that references the Mcminn’s disappearance, the DEA indicates that high jacking of boats by drug smugglers for the purpose of smuggling drugs was not common, due to the fact that drug smuggling operations aren’t interested stealing boats, since they have plenty of money to buy boats and drug smugglers like to remain low key. Also, their boat was only a 25’ trimaran, not an expensive boat. Moreover, their boat was installed with an automatic radio beacon that would have been activated in the event that boat was sinking that the search parties would have easily located. Could the Mcminn’s been involved with drug smuggling themselves and were purposefully eluding authorities?

That being said, I also believe drug smuggling is at the center of the Sumter case. I think these are not drifters or hitchhikers as some people have suggested. I believe, for many reasons, foremost because they were to have been staying at the KOA, indicating they most likely had a vehicle or a camper. Also because of a news article which I have not seen any discussion about. A news article about a mechanic in York, Nebraska (where there is a Grant’s truck stop) who said he recognized John Doe and he had done repairs on their vehicle. He also stated that he remembered the license plate had either OREGON, or Washington plates. The most direct route from Portland or Vancouver region to SC goes through York, NE……….Hmmmm….

At this time in the drug smuggling history, camper vans were the vehicle of choice for the distribution of drugs(LE believes the tire tracks were from a van). Could Jane and John Doe have been smuggling drugs? According to David Batson, the guy at the KOA who shot pool with John Doe stated the couple was driving back and forth to Florida via I-95(The largest drug cable in the US). John Doe also stated “I was disowned for being a teacher rather than doctor…. like his father….and being from Canada” as one person described it…… “It sounds like something out of a Victorian novel”. This was a fabricated story to explain his North Eastern accent and why they are so far from home and are available to travel so much. If they are drug smugglers on the run, it would sound like a very likely story. The fact that the couple had been to Florida the year before, based on the ’75 IMSA shirt John Doe was wearing, also lends itself to this theory. The whole thing stinks of drug smuggling. Ultimately, I think Jane and John doe were executed for being a liability to the drug smuggling organization. I have also interviewed someone else that said they saw them at the campground.

During my investigation, I also saw that Reannan had contacted Michael’s brother.




I have also contacted the brother and it is his position, as it was then, that he doesn’t believe that this is his brother and sister in law based on looking at photos. I think there are several reasons that can explain why he was unable to make an identification. Primarily, because it would be tough to identify anyone with so many varying composites and crummy photos, and also because of the enormous amount of time that has passed.





When I look at these photos, especially Carl’s composites, I see the same people. Thanks Carl for such fantastic composites! Also, I believe you can see a mole on Cordelia’s cheek. Michael Mcminn had a piece of metal pierce his shoulder in a motorcycle collision with a street sweeper rear view mirror which would explain the scars on his shoulder. Cordelia has blue/green eyes. All physical characteristics match: height, weight, hair color, eye color. I have been in contact with both families and they are willing to submit to DNA testing. This process will begin soon and I will keep the community updated with the progress.
I apologize for the length of the post, as I am new to websleuths. I have read every post on websleuths on this case. I think there has been some amazing investigating taking place on websleuths, by far the most in depth discussion of this case. I have conducted several interviews and have way more to post, but I will keep it short for now. I think the IMSA connection is the missing connection as some people have alluded to.

I think more compelling than anything else, is this that this explains why two families never went looking for their family members. They haven’t been looking for them, because they thought they were already deceased!
I am impressed with Tear Drop and CarlK's work on the comparison of the SC Mystery Couple to the case of Michael and Cordelia McMinn from Hawaii/Washington state. When I first learned about the missing McMinn couple back in 2008, I wasn't able to find any pictures of them. If the families are willing to participate in DNA samples, we just need to coordinate getting the comparison done. If they aren't a match, then we move onto the Argentina connection. I am in South Carolina, and a few hours away from Sumter County. I sent an email to the corner last year about the Argentina couple - with no response... my Summer 2012 plans have included a visit in person to discuss this case with the Sumter County coroner. I had hoped to do so in June, but got sidetracked with family issues (good ones - college graudation, etc.) Anyways, I would love to help with this case, and will move mountains to get it solved.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:
  #368  
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
CarlK90245's Avatar
CarlK90245 CarlK90245 is offline
UID Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Segundo, California
Posts: 6,176
In addition to showing what the John Doe would look like with Michael McMinn's moustache, sideburns, and glasses, I also modified Michael's photo to show what he would look like clean-shaven and without glasses.



BTW, there was another photo of him with a big visor and full scraggly beard, but it was pointless to put it up for comparson because the hat and beard covered up so much.

But it does show that he has been known to make big changes to his appearance.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
  #369  
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Reannan's Avatar
Reannan Reannan is offline
Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,870
A few other pictures... one of Michael and Cordelia McMinn, and one of each of the McMinn's with the UID pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michael and Cordelia McMinn 01.JPG (27.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Cordelia McMinn vs Jane Doe_01.JPG (21.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Michael McMinn vs Jock Doe_01.JPG (25.9 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:
  #370  
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Tear Drop Tear Drop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Fox Trot View Post
I question that assertion. One of the articles I saw said the boat only had a receiver, not a transmitter; another said it had a beacon with a range of 150 miles, when taking a little 25' sail-powered trimaran thousands of miles from Hawaii to Canada. We can't rule out that they were simply swallowed by the ocean somewhere. (This doesn't prove your suggested scenario didn't happen though.)
You are correct, it was not equipped with a transmitter(a radio transmitter) ;however, just to clarify, it was equipped with distress beacon that could transmit a distress signal for eight days with a range of 150 miles.

Here is the article you are referring to:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=737,4504903

The area they were last spotted in June and July would have placed them in the waters just east of the Vancouver area. Considering there were plenty of boats in that area, and there was an active search for the two, both air and sea, their signal would have easily been detected within this time frame.

Here is a google map of the area:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=vanco...ed=0CFAQ_AUoAg

Their boat was spotted in the following areas: Port Angles(their port of destination), Haro strait and waters just east of Vancouver.

Here is the newspaper articles reference these locations:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5261,4032266

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4202,2120545



Notice how close they were to land. If they were in distress they would be navigating towards land, or other boats and/or their distress beacon would have been heard. These spottings put them in sight of land.

Once they crossed the pacific from Hawaii, they would have called their relatives or made some sort effort to let someone know, by all accounts. They would not have continued to navigate in these waters for 1-2 months unless they were intentionally not contacting their relatives which would indicate something was very wrong. In other words, they intentionally did not want anyone to know were they were, which is theory i lean towards.

Even considering a theory were the couple was intentionally avoiding contact, and decided to navigate these waters, and then there were in some sort of distress, i still will refer to my previous argument that they would have been found by search parties.

Moreover, as you mentioned, there was a receiver on the boat. They were broadcasting the search for the Mcminn's over the radio. During this time, they would have been alerted to the search for them, and would have made contact with someone to call off the search.

I honestly can't imagine any reasonable scenario that a "lost at sea" or distress type of situation would have taken place in these waters without them being found.

The only other reasonable scenario would be that they were hijacked. I refer back to my previous post about the unlikeliness of a hijacking, but can not be ruled out.

Here is the article suggesting a hijacking scenario was not likely by drug smugglers according to the DEA who are experts at profiling drug smugglers, however others disagree:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4445,3705709

Moreover, hijackings in these particular waters were not common. These type of hijackings were happening in the waters around Florida, mostly yachts that were worth $$$$$. Not a small Trimarans.

My gut is that they were not hijacked or "lost at sea", but they were intentionally avoiding contact.

Thanks for making that point, i wanted better clarify this part of my theory.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tear Drop For This Useful Post:
  #371  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Tear Drop Tear Drop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
I am impressed with Tear Drop and CarlK's work on the comparison of the SC Mystery Couple to the case of Michael and Cordelia McMinn from Hawaii/Washington state. When I first learned about the missing McMinn couple back in 2008, I wasn't able to find any pictures of them. If the families are willing to participate in DNA samples, we just need to coordinate getting the comparison done. If they aren't a match, then we move onto the Argentina connection. I am in South Carolina, and a few hours away from Sumter County. I sent an email to the corner last year about the Argentina couple - with no response... my Summer 2012 plans have included a visit in person to discuss this case with the Sumter County coroner. I had hoped to do so in June, but got sidetracked with family issues (good ones - college graudation, etc.) Anyways, I would love to help with this case, and will move mountains to get it solved.
Thanks for taking interest in this possible match. I am currently coordinating DNA testing. I have plans on going back to Sumter soon, also. I would like to go to the crime scene and campground among other places. You never know what you might dig up. Maybe we can get together down there.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tear Drop For This Useful Post:
  #372  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Tear Drop Tear Drop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
Thanks for posting this Tear Drop. I think this is a very interesting possible match.

In response to your comment as to why Michael's brother might not recognize him. It could be that his brother never saw him clean-shaven. As you told me prior to your posting this message, he was much younger than Michael.

Also, I think the embalming gave the John Doe's lips a swollen, puckered look that I don't think was there when he was alive.

Just for clarification to the other members: Tear Drop contacted me prior to posting his message, and showed me the photos that he had obtained. I then modified my facial reconstruction of the John Doe to show how he would look with glasses, lambchop sideburns, and a bushy moustache, and put together the two montages shown in Tear Drop's post above.

I think with those modifications the resemblance for both Michael and Cordelia to the John and Jane doe are amazing.
Yes, his brother rarely was clean shaven. Also, the brother was 14 when his 26 year old brother went missing, making the brother 6 when Michael was 18(an adult with facial hair). So, roughly. from the time he was 6 years old he only saw Michael with facial hair, usually a full beard. One would also venture to guess that from the time Micheal was an adult going to college and such, that he had less contact. I honestly can see how a match would be difficult. He did not adamantly deny it was not them, but was definately leaning in the direction of it not being them. He also does not think the jewelry was congruent to their personalities. I personally don't think the jewelry is very significant. He has been very open to my theories, and even admitted to having theories similar in nature.

I couldn't agree more about his lips, and the swollen tissue in general. I think you did a great job of compensating for that.

I think the resemblance is amazing too!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tear Drop For This Useful Post:
  #373  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Reannan's Avatar
Reannan Reannan is offline
Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear Drop View Post
Thanks for taking interest in this possible match. I am currently coordinating DNA testing. I have plans on going back to Sumter soon, also. I would like to go to the crime scene and campground among other places. You never know what you might dig up. Maybe we can get together down there.
Yes, I would love to go with you. I want to also visit their current grave site. I think it would be great to share current photo's of the crime scene, camprground, and burial site with our fellow Websleuthers who can't go, but who are very interested in this case. When I tried to contact the coroner last Summer, I did not get any response at all. I did so with a letter that I mailed to him, which contained pictures of the Argentina couple and the comparison's created here at Websleuths. This year, I was planning on a different tactic. I have access to our local coroner and I was going to use his office to see if an appointment could be set up. Thoughts??
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:
  #374  
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Swamp Fox Trot Swamp Fox Trot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 205
Exclamation New coroner?

Looks like Coroner Bullock is out; it's surprisingly hard to find local news on this but it seems Shawn Ragin won the recent runoff election: http://raginforcoroner.org/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Fox Trot For This Useful Post:
  #375  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM
liz b. liz b. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,812
Just wondering if Michael and Cordelia have dental xrays on file ? JMO
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #5 Richard Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 435 10-17-2009 10:47 AM
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4 christine2448 Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 553 06-27-2009 07:31 PM
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3 christine2448 Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 538 12-04-2008 09:01 PM
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #2 Richard Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 402 07-09-2008 06:08 PM
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #1 Richard Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 444 01-12-2008 02:03 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!