Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM
chien méchant

Peat bog yields up 200+ soldiers from 2000 years ago; preservation shows DNA presence

Bones of 200 slaughtered soldiers from the time of Christ are
so well preserved in peat bog that their DNA can be studied
(Daily Mail)
Quote:
Danish archaeologists have re-opened a mass grave of scores of slaughtered Iron Age warriors to find new clues about their fate and the bloody practices of Germanic tribes on the edge of the Roman Empire.

Bones of around 200 soldiers have already been found preserved in a peat bog near the village of Alken on Denmark's Jutland peninsula.
---
The soggy conditions at Alken have delayed decomposition so the remains are unusually well preserved.
---
The remains are from the beginning of the Roman Iron Age, though Roman armies never reached so far north.
---
Much more, with pictures, at link above; one photo caption misspells the name of famous find: it's Tollund Man they refer to. (Wiki link)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

I hope that there is a follow up story on this
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM

http://www.tollundman.dk/

That's the one in the pic. Are there any pics of what has been found recently? I didn't notice, only saw Tollund man and the bog photos.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Verified User and Clown Hater

Thanks for posting this. I'll certainly stay tuned for future developments. There is a lot that can be learned from discoveries such as this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PATX For This Useful Post: