Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified

Notices

The Unidentified Help give someone their name back so they can go home! Information, research and discussion of the Unidentified.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
UID Moderator

There is not anyone in that group with the initials ILN (i.e., the initials engraved on the side of the ring).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
UID Moderator

It may be that 1917 is the year the school (or organization) was founded, and not the grad year of its original owner.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 PM

More details here:

http://ct.findacase.com/research/wfr...2007.CT.htm/qx
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM

Jesuit High School (New Orleans) ???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 AM
UID Moderator

I was able to trace three of the phone numbers on the phone bill.

* The 215 945 0131 belonged to a J--- A------ who lived on 7500 Knights Road in Bensalem PA in 1974. That address no longer exists. There is a chance that he obtained that number between 1970 and 1974, but he still had the same number in 1994 (and lived in Levittown at that time).

* The 615 244 4259 belonged to a B---- D----- of Nashville TN in 1994. He was born in 1935, and lived in the area all his life up to that point.

* The 716 834 1513 belonged to a C------ F. R--------- in 1994. He was born in 1921 and lived in the Buffalo/Tonawanda area all his life.

It's possible that they obtained those telephone numbers between 1970 and 1994 (or in the case of JA, between 1970 and 1974), but there would be no reason to do so if they had all lived in the area the entire time.

Looking in Ancestry, I found that BD and CFR both had younger sisters who would have been around 31 and 32 years old (respectively) in 1970. I was thinking that if the Jane Doe was calling a family member, she might be that sister listed. But I'm not sure how I would verify that at this point.

I would hope that LE already looked into that angle.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 11-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...hy_denise.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/sheehy_denise.html
http://missingme.2007.angelfire.com/denise_sheehy.html

Quote:
Missing Since: July 07, 1970 from Woodside, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: February 20, 1954
Height: 5'3" (160 cm)
Weight: 103 lbs (47 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Denise has pierced ears.
Clothing: White, size XS, blue shorts. White, size 5 1/2, clog type sandals.
Jewelry: Gold ring with the initials DS, and Gold boys school ring.

On July 7th, 1970, Denise Sheehy had an argument with her mother at the dinner table. Angered, she got up and left the house, headed in an unknown direction. Initially, it was believed that Denise was simply angry and needed to cool off. She never came back and no one has seen or heard from her since.
Everything adds up except the age.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DippyBlonder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM

I was looking at her yesterday as well. The question I have: From two different sources, it appears in one only a skull (no mandible) was recovered. And in another it also says a body, with a fairly exact height, with hair. The question being: If it was a partial skull, with a gun shot wound, submerged in a bog...how accurate would the age range, etc be. Bogs do funny things to bodies, as mentioned earlier, so if it is just a partial damaged skull...could be a very good match. What is the status of the UID's remains?

Also, on the subjcet of bogs...there was an older women missing many years, with a green vehicle, etc...any chance this UID is not tied to this case and was preserved in the bog? This could be a dumping ground for someone or random location...especially if GC's remains were in a different state of decomp. Any ideas?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
UID Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOso View Post
... it appears in one only a skull (no mandible) was recovered. And in another it also says a body, with a fairly exact height, with hair. The question being: If it was a partial skull, with a gun shot wound, submerged in a bog...how accurate would the age range, etc be. Bogs do funny things to bodies, as mentioned earlier, so if it is just a partial damaged skull...could be a very good match. What is the status of the UID's remains?

What they have in NamUs is a skull and mandible with no maxilla. Apparently, the bullet struck her below the nose, and destroyed her upper dentition.

I figure that the "skull only" comment in NamUs means that this is the only part of her that they kept, and they either buried or cremated the rest. It looks like they originally had a complete body, but they now only have a skull and mandible.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOso View Post
Also, on the subjcet of bogs...there was an older women missing many years, with a green vehicle, etc...any chance this UID is not tied to this case and was preserved in the bog?
No chance. Read this:
http://ct.findacase.com/research/wfr...2007.CT.htm/qx

Quote:
After making plans to carry out the murders with Brant, DeFreitas lured the victims (Carmichael and our UID) back to his A-frame house on Shewville Road in Ledyard on December 31, 1970. The defendant shot Carmichael repeatedly and killed him; then Brant shot and killed the woman. Both the defendant and Brant described to Joanne Rainello and James Gardner how the shootings had taken place.
----------------

As an aside, Gustavous Lee Carmichael was aged 23/24 during 1970. His 'girlfriend' is unlikely to be the 35 max age limit given to the womans body.

She was using an assumed name "Lorraine Stahl" at the time of her death.

Also, Gustavous Lee Carmichael had used the following assumed names...
James L Billotte
Jr
Jack ?ougher (P, R, B)
James Leroy Burns
James Leroy Byrne
Frank J Howard
David Keating
Frank Powers
David Harold Skaggs
Shawn Liam Thompson
Dirk Stahl

Real documents for Dirk and Lorraine Stahl were provided to Carmichael by DeFreitas. I've been able to esablish that 3 of these people are real people (he has actually stolen their real paperwork) so I doubt the others are made up names and are probably real people too. He would have had to have come into contact with all of these people somehow to obtain their paperwork.

Also, given that Gustavous Lee Carmichael had escaped from custody at the beginning of October 1970 - he either only knew his girlfriend for a few months or knew her before he went into prison (and that date I haven't been able to establish yet). It would be interesting to know who visited/who he called whilst in prison.

Edited to add: http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6667,1163342 the newspaper article at the time of 'the great escape'. It sounds like they were going to court to be sentenced at the time of their escape so he hadn't been in prison very long at all.

I'm also calling in Denise Sheehy - worth a go I think.

Last edited by DippyBlonder; 07-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DippyBlonder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Iíve tried to research this ring, too. It should still be identifiable, whether it is a clue to the identity of this person or not. All Iíve come up with is crumbs to muddy up the water, but hope it helps lead to some more definite clues. The sketch of the letters on the ring was done by ďBalfor Jewelers.Ē I didnít find a BJ on a quick search, but Balfour Inc is the largest, oldest maker of class and military rings. http://www.balfour.com/about/history/
Quote:
In 1913, Lloyd Garfield Balfour took notice of the expanding number of students enrolling in college and the growing popularity of sororities and fraternities. He saw a unique opportunity and began Balfour, a company that manufactured and distributed high-quality fraternity and sorority jewelry to college campuses across the country. During WWI, Balfour was called upon to produce military insignia for the U.S. Armed Forces. After the war, we developed new product lines including high school and college rings, pins, commercial insignia, stationery, diplomas and awards.
So Balfour didnít make high school rings in 1917. Were they the only makers of class rings then? I donít know. Balfour rings are usually clearly marked with their Balfour insignia on the inside of the shank. At least, all the ones Iíve seen dating back to the 40s or so. So IF this is indeed the same Balfour that studied the initials, Iím inclined to think it is not a class ring. They are the experts. ( Herff Jones is the other major US class ring maker and they were not founded until 1920.) Also, if the S is for School, I donít think it would be the dominate center letter.

But it could be a military ring. 1917 was the year America joined World War I. http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/.../a/wwi1917.htm Could this be a military motherís ring? I wonder if the center vertical line is not part of an crude attempt to put a cross in the middle of 3 initials. With the possibility of a cross overlaying the initials, it could just be HSN with a fancy cursive hook on the H. And if S is the surname, then it would be HNS.

The inside initials: ILN - Google search for old English cursive font (no quotes) I did not see a font exactly like this one, but I did see that there is very little difference between an I and a J in almost all the search results. It looks like the Balfor Jeweler sketch includes the first inside initial, possibly due to the similarity of those 2 letters. ( And I hope itís not just an I Love Nxxxx. engraving.)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to KateB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM

so before WWI Balfour was making fraternity and sorority rings so maybe the S stands for Sorority.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 PM

this is from Wikipedia:

According to Martin (1918), the primary fraternal jewelers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were D. L. Auld Co. of Columbus, L.G. Balfour Company of Attleboro, Mass., Burr, Patterson and Co. of Detroit, Upmeyer Company of Milwaukee, A. H. Fetting Co. of Baltimore, Hoover and Smith Co. of Philadelphia, O. C. Lanphear of Galesburg, Ill., Miller Jewelry Co. of Cincinnati, J. F. Newman of New York, Edward Roehm of Detroit, and Wright, Kay and Co. of Detroit. Currently the most widely used jewelers are Herff Jones and Jostens. Jewelers' initials and stampings are typically found on the back of pins along with the member name and/or chapter information. The history of fraternal jewelers is important when determining age of non-dated jewelry pieces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sororities#Pins_or_badges
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Possibly. Is there a sorority that would have S as it's main descriptor? I doubt it would stand for sorority in that position but could be part of their name.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KateB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM

I really took a good look at Denise Sheehy last night. I was going to suggest her and then my cable/internet went down due to the crazy storms we've had here. I tend to think that even though her age is not too far out of the estimate, it's far enough that it's probably not her, but she needs to be ruled out regardless. I was so surprised when I pulled up this thread today to see that someone had suggested her!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM

I doubt this is it, but just in case....http://www.ohio.com/news/education/f...-hill-1.305336
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
There is not anyone in that group with the initials ILN (i.e., the initials engraved on the side of the ring).
Maybe somebody could do some genealogy on the suggested match?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swamp Fox Trot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
I’ve tried to research this ring, too. It should still be identifiable, whether it is a clue to the identity of this person or not. All I’ve come up with is crumbs to muddy up the water, but hope it helps lead to some more definite clues. The sketch of the letters on the ring was done by “Balfor Jewelers.” I didn’t find a BJ on a quick search, but Balfour Inc is the largest, oldest maker of class and military rings. http://www.balfour.com/about/history/

So Balfour didn’t make high school rings in 1917. Were they the only makers of class rings then? I don’t know. Balfour rings are usually clearly marked with their Balfour insignia on the inside of the shank. At least, all the ones I’ve seen dating back to the 40s or so. So IF this is indeed the same Balfour that studied the initials, I’m inclined to think it is not a class ring. They are the experts. ( Herff Jones is the other major US class ring maker and they were not founded until 1920.) Also, if the S is for School, I don’t think it would be the dominate center letter.

But it could be a military ring. 1917 was the year America joined World War I. http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/.../a/wwi1917.htm Could this be a military mother’s ring? I wonder if the center vertical line is not part of an crude attempt to put a cross in the middle of 3 initials. With the possibility of a cross overlaying the initials, it could just be HSN with a fancy cursive hook on the H. And if S is the surname, then it would be HNS.

The inside initials: ILN - Google search for old English cursive font (no quotes) I did not see a font exactly like this one, but I did see that there is very little difference between an I and a J in almost all the search results. It looks like the Balfor Jeweler sketch includes the first inside initial, possibly due to the similarity of those 2 letters. ( And I hope it’s not just an I Love Nxxxx. engraving.)
Thank you Kate! Great research. Going off this idea...I started searching for jewelry styles early 20th century and monograms...mainly 4 letter. Anyway, 4 letters are rare, with the exception of military. Most military rings had crests, eagles, etc...during this time, since 1880s-1900. This ring looks like a custom piece made for someone...However, I did find some examples...

http://hglanham.tripod.com/metalinsi...llardisk1.html military artifacts...not rings...

http://books.google.com/books?id=trb...201917&f=false enlisted men monograms 1917. Could it be USNH-United States New Hampshire?

http://www.familygiftsandembroidery....ramFormats.htm Here is an example of monograms. If it was the intials of a person it was not typical to have 4 letters. It could be a promise ring with intials of two people...quick engagment before heading off to war?

Maybe someone with military history knowledge can chime in....

Last edited by LucyOso; 07-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM

I continue to look, read, and search but I can't seem to decide if it signifies a school (maybe catholic school), an honor society, or has a military connection. I did find a vintage (1930) pin on ebay for sale NJHS (Nobility, Justice, Honor, Success) obviously a creed or motto. Monogram style is not the same, and obviously the year is also different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_500wt_1156

Also, in looking at the copies of the phone records, is/was the phone owned by "C M Fox"? And, where were these other items (briefcase, Clairol rollers, etc) found?

** If the initials on the interior are J L N... the J and the N would correspond to the N J on the monogram

Last edited by fred&edna; 07-08-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added the **
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fred&edna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM

The ring

Brainstorming about the ring:
JHS is a Christogram and priests and bishops wear rings. Not sure what the N would be in this case?

Continuing on a religious theme, could the S stand for seminary?

The NS could be for "normal School" I found one news article that mentions someone taught at Johns Hopkins Normal School in the 30's. It was written in the 50's and I didn't bother purchasing it. Any other possible Normal Schools? I believe they trained teachers.

Someone else mentioned that 1917 could be the year the school was founded. My college ring has the schools full founding year on the front and just the 2 digit of my class year.

I know LE had a school ring maker look at the ring but perhaps an appraiser who deals in antigue/estate jewelry would be helpful? Or someone who is an expert in WWI military memorabilia?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM

According to the note with the sketches on NamUs, her description came from an acquaintance. That would explain how they know her hair color, height, where she might have family, etc. This isn't a typical UID case-- people knew her in life they just didn't know her real identity. I wonder where DeFrietas' girlfriend is now?...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 AM

Nursing school tradition is typically a "pinning" ceremony with graduates receiving their nursing school's emblem reflected on the pin. It would be worth researching whether or not Johns Hopkins issued a pin versus a ring to it's graduate nurses.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spice-Nine For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Verified expert in neuroscience

I wonder about Sherry Jean Pickle as a potential match. Her hair color and face look pretty close. She disappeared from California, though, and there's no obvious connection to PA/TN

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...le_sherry.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skigirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Here's one from New Jersey who it sounds like may have left home of her own accord

Jan Andre Cotta: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cotta_jan.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skigirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM

not listed on Doe network
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PFF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM

ETA: I just realized the murder date was several years prior to finding the body -- if that date is correct, it would rule out Jan Cotta

NamUs MP # 5978

Jan Cotta
Monmouth County, New Jersey
19 year old white female

Case Information
Status Missing
First name Jan
Middle name Andre
Last name Cotta
Nickname/Alias Jane, Andrea
NCMEC number 1005685
Date LKA June 26, 1973 00:00