Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM
chien méchant

Tragic mum writes final letter to Moors Murderer Ian Brady in bid to find son (Mirror)
Quote:
The dying mother of one of the Moors murder victims has made a final plea to killer Ian Brady to tell her where her son is buried.

Winnie Johnson, 79, who has bowel cancer and fears she may not have much longer to live, wants the prisoner to end her 48-year hell over Keith Bennett.
---
In her letter to the killer, she pleads: “If you have got it in your heart to tell me where Keith is, it would end the trouble I have had for 47 years.

“I would like him found and buried before anything happens to me, because I am not getting any younger. He belongs to Manchester and everyone in Manchester wants him found.”
---
On [Keith's brother Alan's] website Searching For Keith, he said he had met Greater Manchester Police twice in January this year and passed on new information he had been given, hoping they would search the Moors again this summer. But he was told in May they had no current plans.
---
much more at link above
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

How unbearably sad, for years I have seen Mrs Johnson pleading for her son's remains. I wonder whether in Brady's warped thought processes, he believes that this still gives him a bit of power.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
chien méchant

Wow. Big doings.

Breaking news: Arrest over letter giving details of where Ian Brady victim's body is buried (Mirror)
Quote:
Moors murderer Ian Brady has given details where the body of one of his victims is buried, police said tonight.

The body of 12-year-old victim Keith Bennett has never been found, tormenting his frail mum Winnie Johnson who is battling cancer in a hospice.
---
Tonight a 49-year-old woman was arrested in South Wales on suspicion of preventing the burial of a body without lawful exercise.

Greater Manchester Police added that she remains in police custody for questioning.
---
more at the link
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM
chien méchant

Not quite sure on the "49-year-old woman arrested" part. She would have been only a year old when Keith Bennett was kidnapped and murdered in 1964. Perhaps she later learned of the location and said nothing to police.

Northern Echo has a thorough story about today's events and the case in general:

Moors murderer Ian Brady "reveals location of victim's body"
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 PM

I think she was a prison visitor and Brady told her in July.This must be breaking news in the uk and could be changed in the morning.My own personal opinion is that this could be Brady making a last statement from his death bed which might be true or another false lead.

If he really wanted it to be known why not tell a prison chaplain or officer.

I expect more will be revealed this morning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
chien méchant

This was one of the first true crime cases I glommed onto, via Emlyn Williams's chilling book Beyond Belief, published in 1967 and a Book Club selection here in America.

ETA

And yes, of course, Daily Mail's look at recent events once again prints Myra Hindley's shock! horror! photo here.

Last edited by wfgodot; 08-16-2012 at 08:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 AM

I guess that would be one of the "prison visitor" volunteers who befriend prisoners officially when they are too disgusting to have any other friends? What is the law about what they're meant to divulge?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inge Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Its just been on Sky news..
The womans name is Jackie powell and shes Bradys legal advocate.From what i understand Brady had given her a letter,i presume to be opened on his death which i believe details where Keiths buried.
One problem is that when Brady was taken back to the moors 20yrs ago and wasnt able to tell the police where Keith was buried so the letter may be BS.also to add,some guy on sky news is saying that this info about the woman has been known for some time,and to take everything brady says with a pinch of salt..
Also,Keiths mum Winnie has not been told of this arrest..
The Following User Says Thank You to ScotsPaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 AM

Jackie Powell is also saying to Sky that her words have been misrepresented and blown out of proportion but refuses to confirm a letter detailing burial exists..
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 AM

It's absolutely ridiculous the people the police place under arrest sometimes. And this letter was no secret, I am sure we have known for a long time a letter existed "to be opened upon his death". Maybe the police could have demanded to see it a long time ago?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 AM

Im busy but from the little bits im picking up,Jackie Powell was being interviewd for a documentary about Brady due to be screened in a couple of weeks,i believe during that she had said about the letter,production crew then advise her to go to police and that takes us to where we are now.
As far as i know police are at her address and his prison searching for the letter..
Someone from the cold case unit has came out and addressed the press but i didnt catch what was said..
Oh and i believe the letter was for Winnie...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 AM

Well I still think arresting her is completely out of order, unless she was refusing to cooperate from a completely legitimate request by the police and that was the only way they could get access to the letter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inge Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 AM

From what the SKY reporter was saying when he interviewed her earlier today she refuses to confirm the letter,i dont know if shes saying the same to the police tho.
As a legal Advocate would she be intitled to refuse to talk about her client?,sorry i cant think of the correct wording but you know,doctor/patient confidentiality(sp)..
I think she was his mental health representative(seriously whats up with these big words),is that a legal advcate?.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 AM

I don't know how it works with regards to professionals but I still think there's a moral duty to let the police know. For all we know the letter could contain something nasty. I do wish, though, that Keith would be found before his mother dies. I personally think that Brady just likes playing twisted games, though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pisces Cloud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/au...n-brady-arrest

Quote:
In a statement, Greater Manchester police said they had recently received information that led them to believe that Brady had finally disclosed details of the location of the body to one of his "long-term visitors" at Ashworth high-security hospital where he is being detained.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluttershy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Well the BBC news website is saying no one has a clue whether the letter contains the boy's remains location or not, so any arrest on the grounds stated seems terribly premature. On the one hand we recently had a murder suspect with evidence stacked a mile high allowed to wander around as he pleases, and on the other hand someone with no evidence against them at all as yet, and on a much lesser crime anyway, arrested. Do the police have no consistent guidelines at all?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM

It may be that shes not co-ooperating with the police etc and she been arrested for interfering/hampering with a police investigation or something along those lines..
News saying that shes his mental health advocate so she may not be legally bound by confidentiality etc.
Its also been reported that she wont confirm this letter..

I just really hope Winnie gets a chance to lay Keith to rest...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Verified Juanette

I really hope poor winnie finally gets peace and is able to bury little Keith.
His photo just haunts me,I cant imagine the pain she has suffered for 47years.

The Moors murders have always creeped me out and I can't explain Why,just every time I see something about it on tv or online it sends shivers up my spine.

One can only hope now that brady is nearing the end of life he can show some compassion and tell Winnie where Keith is but I will not hold my breath.not like he has shown any remorse or guilt up til now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder
The Following User Says Thank You to josie1986 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM
chien méchant

So it was the mental health advocate who got popped for keeping secrets, eh? Hmmm....

When does the digging start? I pray to God it's productive, for Winnie's sake.

Excellent Guardian article Fluttershy linked above. Recommended.

Here's the Mail's header, and link to it:

Police fear Brady's 'confession' letter to Keith Bennett's mother
is just a ruse as officers scour papers seized at confidante's house
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM
chien méchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie1986 View Post
The Moors murders have always creeped me out and I can't explain Why,just every time I see something about it on tv or online it sends shivers up my spine.
For me, it's the loneliness of the moors themselves, and the old black & white pictures of the police stalking across them at arm's length from one another, searching for clues. The pictures of the moors I've seen all have a similar emotional flatness.

And the evilness in Hindley and Brady's diseased relationship. And the photos of the pair: something wicked this way comes.

And David Smith and his wife cowering in fear in the phone box when they phoned police.

And of course there's the tape recording made during the torture of Lesley Ann Downey. Good God, I thought when I first read of it. Good God. A shocker - the shock of the new. First I'd read of something like that, incorporating technology to re-experience later their ghastly and perverse crime.

Strongly reinforced years later by the Smiths' "Suffer Little Children." Chilling. Great song. Linked on page two here. First time I heard it, after I bought that record, all the original emotions flooded back.

Last edited by wfgodot; 08-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM

I really hope they find him, but Brady is such a manipulative little coward I do not trust him. Cannot believe this woman told the documentary makers she might have a letter stating where a child is buried and did nothing.

the moor's murders creeps me out, I think it because saddleworth is so desolate, and bleak the idea of a child being buried there alone for half a century is just horrendous. I think the way they taped lesley-ann is also chilling. makes you wonder what they woudl have done today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brit1981 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM

@brit1981,i dont think she quite said that, i think she may have said she had a letter from Brady to Winnie after Bradys death or as little as that and the producers of the documentary.
Im only guessing of course...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Whether or not the police were legally within their rights to arrest this woman, I'm glad they did. And I hope she spent a miserable time in jail even if it's only for a few hours. And don't anyone tell me that it excuses her that she is an advocate legally bound to keep Brady's confidences - she broke that confidence as soon as she mentioned the letter on a tv documentary and as a human being how can she live with herself withholding information which potentially could lead to a dying elderly woman finding the remains of her son after 47 years of suffering?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM
chien méchant

Mail:
Quote:
One of moors murderer Ian Brady's closest confidantes has said she gave him back a letter that could reveal the last resting place of one of his victims.

Police arrested Jackie Powell and searched her south Wales home for ten hours looking for a sealed envelope to pass to Winnie Johnson, mother of 12-year-old Keith Bennett, in the event of Brady's death.
---
But this afternoon sources close to the investigation said Ms Powell has now told officers she returned the envelope to the serial killer at some point between July 30 and her arrest yesterday.
---
A mental health advocate with no moral compass? Hm.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyA View Post
Whether or not the police were legally within their rights to arrest this woman, I'm glad they did. And I hope she spent a miserable time in jail even if it's only for a few hours. And don't anyone tell me that it excuses her that she is an advocate legally bound to keep Brady's confidences - she broke that confidence as soon as she mentioned the letter on a tv documentary and as a human being how can she live with herself withholding information which potentially could lead to a dying elderly woman finding the remains of her son after 47 years of suffering?
Then to go and give the letter back to him, how insensitive towards Keith's family is that? She must have known they'd find out about it.