NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really never thought that Maura was murdered by a serial killer. But has anyone wondered where Israel Keyes was at the time she disappeared? For those of you who may not now, he is the alleged killer of Samantha Koenig. He has also been linked to the disappearance and murders of Bill and Lorraine Currier in VT. He has a cabin in Constable, NY, which is only 4 hrs from where Maura disappeared..

Exactly. And that would totally explain her leaving and her getting a new car. But what it comes down to is, PV connection or not ,the reason Maura left likely doesn't matter, since it probably has nothing to do with what happened to her, IMO. Although, depending on what that reason was, I guess it could help us figure out her intentions. Say it was the PV accident, that could fit for both suicide or moving to Canada to escape charges. Then again some creep could've gotten her, too. Who knows :banghead:

Could she be an IK victim?

How about some more discussion.

I am reposting something that was found on the internet and something that James had on his blog awhile back.

This is from maura herself, a post she made on a website (among fellow hiking enthusiats) about her love for hiking and mountains. She was 16 years old at the time she made her post, she used her mother's email address but that isn't unusual as at that time, email was still fairly new and many kids likely used their parent's email addresses.

this goes to show Maura's love of the mountains and also points out just how different (not in a bad way) maura was from many teens her age.

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 19:19:48 -0400

Hi there,

My name is Maura Murray from Hanson MA and I've been going to
Jigger Johnson's campground, which is clearly the best, and hiking in
the White Mountains ever since I was too young to remember. I would
like to know if anyone out there has ever climbed Mt. Tripyramid (the
trail starts at Sabaday Falls) because I had quite an experience. I
also want to help out at the huts during the summer or manage trails
if there are any available jobs that someone knows about. Does anybody
have any bear or moose stories to tell because I would love to hear
them. Great website-bye

Maura at age 16

Now understand mt. tripyramid is a 4,000 footer mountain and we are talking about a 16 year old girl at the time.

here is something though that really stands out to me

I am posting a google map driving directions from maura's car accident site to Mount Tripyramid.

Notice in the map that (maura was making a straight bee-line to this location.

Notice also if you look from where maura was likely coming from (I-91 North) the exit she took (Rt. 302) makes the most logical sense if one were heading towards this mountain (at one time at least was her favorite).

HERE IS THE LINK:

NH-112 W/Wild Ammonoosuc Rd to Mt Tripyramid - Google Maps

Maura could've very easily still made it to Mount Tripyramid. It was less than 40 miles from her car accident. A good samaratin could've (unknowingly) taken her the rest of the way or closer anyway and dropped her off and not thought about it ever again.

I wonder if Mount Tripyramid and that area have been truly searched for signs of maura.

What are your thoughts about her seeking shelter say at the weather'ed barn, or in the house under construction nearby, or trying to backtrack to town?

Pretending I'm her, I might think that the big, burly man who had just offered me help is really not a bad person, after all, he didn't bother me when I told I didn't need help, and I now see he lives close by (not accusing, just thinking about what might be logical what I might have done if I were her)...
whereas someone new driving by is a complete unknown...

What if I'm heading back to town and I see a tow truck driver, might flag him down,,,, might chance that... would prefer waiting till daylight... what if he stopped and seemed okay...

What if I see a snow plow ... I'd be afraid they would contact LE and I'd be DUI'ed...

Hmmm.....I don't think she went back to the bus driver - because she didn't want the police involved. I'm not sure about the barn or the house under construction.... I wonder how accessible they were. Were they locked? Where are the doors located (as in, would she have been out of sight sneaking in?)? Was there so much snow that her foot prints would have been visible or not? Personally, I would be more afraid of getting caught in the house, but then I'm a major chicken.

I still believe it's entirely possible she could have either been hit by a car in the darkness or died from exposure. But, if that's the case I can't understand why she hasn't been found yet, unless she managed to get farther away than anyone thought. It was so incredibly dark, this option doesn't seem as likely as I originally thought.

My other thought is that she must have gotten a ride close to the accident scene. Close enough for there to be light and be seen (and for her to see that the person wasn't a cop...), but the only way this could have happened is that if happened at the exact instant all the witnesses turned their backs to call 911. Whether the person picking her up was a serial killer or a good Samaritan, I guess we'll never know unless they come forward or we find Maura.

Could she be an IK victim?

I'm not familiar with this SK. Can we figure out where he was around the time of Maura's disappearance? Is it likely he was close enough to be a possibility? 4 hours is a long way from this deserted rural place.... if that's the closest we can place him.

James has released all of the credit card fraud info that police gathered up on Maura's incident in the November (prior to her disappearance) at UMASS.

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

Interesting stuff.

I get the impression James thinks that Maura's first wreck (with her dad's brand new car) is what triggered maura's disappearance because she was on probation from her credit card fraud and the wreck could've caused her being booted from the nursing program.

That is where I differ from james, because Maura wasn't found guilty of anything from that first wreck. She wasn't even ticketed. The officer did mention driver in-attention in the accident report, but that would be to establish fault (for insurance purposes)

I see that incident as having no bearing on Maura's probation being violated.

I say her trigger point came that thursday night while she was working the dorm. Something happened that night to traumatize her so much that she became an instant lindsey lohan and wasn't the same from that point on.

James has released all of the credit card fraud info that police gathered up on Maura's incident in the November (prior to her disappearance) at UMASS.

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

Interesting stuff.

I get the impression James thinks that Maura's first wreck (with her dad's brand new car) is what triggered maura's disappearance because she was on probation from her credit card fraud and the wreck could've caused her being booted from the nursing program.

That is where I differ from james, because Maura wasn't found guilty of anything from that first wreck. She wasn't even ticketed. The officer did mention driver in-attention in the accident report, but that would be to establish fault (for insurance purposes)

I see that incident as having no bearing on Maura's probation being violated.

I say her trigger point came that thursday night while she was working the dorm. Something happened that night to traumatize her so much that she became an instant lindsey lohan and wasn't the same from that point on.

IMO, I think Maura was very unhappy with herself. In her mind, she was screwing up. I think she had something bothering her such as an eating disorder or something similar. The problem (whatever it was) was messing up her life. After getting caught with the cc fraud and the accident in her dad's new car, she decided to take that impulsive trip north to sort things out. This is just a feeling I have about the situation---no fact. JMO

Maura could've very easily still made it to Mount Tripyramid. It was less than 40 miles from her car accident. A good samaratin could've (unknowingly) taken her the rest of the way or closer anyway and dropped her off and not thought about it ever again.

I wonder if Mount Tripyramid and that area have been truly searched for signs of maura.

Ive always wondered if there was a "good samaratin" that did pick her up and was oblivious to what was going on. I think there were a lot of missed opportunities for people to hear about her disappearance. Like ive posted before, I lived just a few miles over the border in Maine and I had never heard of this case until a couple years ago, and in that time period i spent a lot of time in the Mt Washington valley area. I personally dont think there was enough effort put into making people outside of the "ground zero" if you will, aware of what was going on. Who knows if it was an elderly person whom picked her up that has now since diseased. Or just someone traveling through, although I kinda doubt there would be too many people traveling through that particular area, it doesnt offer too much in terms of tourism and isnt one of the best roads to be traveling if you dont know it, its not the best use of traveling time. I just feel if somehow more fliers, billboards, and such were posted from mass to NH, to ME, to VT from top to bottom then maybe there would have been someone who knew something, but at the time just thought they were doing good and left it at that. 8 years, a lot of people have passed, and moved on, hard telling were they all are and if they even remember anything about that night.

Hello,
I'm new here (though I've been reading the boards for a while) and I've been following this case for years...I personally don't believe Maura met her end near or around where her accident was...the dogs had been given a piece of her clothing to sniff, and had run a distance off the road up until the edge of the road, where the scent suddenly stopped. This would imply that she was picked up there by a passing motorist. Though it was a rural area and dark, it is still a road and there were (are) a few houses in the surrounding area. I think she either met her end with this motorist, or the person dropped her off elsewhere and then she met her end there. If she died where she had her accident, they would have found her remains by know IMO b/c she couldn't have gotten too far off the road before succumbing to the below freezing temps...IDK, just my thoughts. I've tried to believe the Canada theory only b/c I want to think she's still alive but after almost nine years, it seems unlikely...

How about some more discussion.

I am reposting something that was found on the internet and something that James had on his blog awhile back.

This is from maura herself, a post she made on a website (among fellow hiking enthusiats) about her love for hiking and mountains. She was 16 years old at the time she made her post, she used her mother's email address but that isn't unusual as at that time, email was still fairly new and many kids likely used their parent's email addresses.

this goes to show Maura's love of the mountains and also points out just how different (not in a bad way) maura was from many teens her age.

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 19:19:48 -0400

Hi there,

My name is Maura Murray from Hanson MA and I've been going to
Jigger Johnson's campground, which is clearly the best, and hiking in
the White Mountains ever since I was too young to remember. I would
like to know if anyone out there has ever climbed Mt. Tripyramid (the
trail starts at Sabaday Falls) because I had quite an experience. I
also want to help out at the huts during the summer or manage trails
if there are any available jobs that someone knows about. Does anybody
have any bear or moose stories to tell because I would love to hear
them. Great website-bye

Maura at age 16

I remember seeing this on a NH website. It is so sweet. She was truly excited about the mountains. Her comment also suggests she liked "close call, true adventure" stories, which fits the type of book they found in her car.

I have reservations about someone picking her up and driving her to this mountain, because of the time of night. Although, she could have said she was going to Lincoln, instead of that mountain. A ride to a town makes more sense, rather than a dark mountain. The driver, who picked her up, would have been very puzzled about her wanting to be dropped off at a trail head in February, especially at night. Unless, she waited until the morning to hitch a ride. Even so, she probably didn't look prepared to climb a snowy mountain, which would have made her memorable. An interstate truck driver or a skiier from out of town could have given her a ride, but I still think they would have thought it odd and their story most likely would have got out, even if it was just to friends. Maura's disappearance was publicized on local TV news in New England, so someone should have put 2 and 2 together. Yet, anything is possible, I suppose. JMO

Hmmm.....I don't think she went back to the bus driver - because she didn't want the police involved. I'm not sure about the barn or the house under construction.... I wonder how accessible they were. Were they locked? Where are the doors located (as in, would she have been out of sight sneaking in?)? Was there so much snow that her foot prints would have been visible or not? Personally, I would be more afraid of getting caught in the house, but then I'm a major chicken.

I still believe it's entirely possible she could have either been hit by a car in the darkness or died from exposure. But, if that's the case I can't understand why she hasn't been found yet, unless she managed to get farther away than anyone thought. It was so incredibly dark, this option doesn't seem as likely as I originally thought.

My other thought is that she must have gotten a ride close to the accident scene. Close enough for there to be light and be seen (and for her to see that the person wasn't a cop...), but the only way this could have happened is that if happened at the exact instant all the witnesses turned their backs to call 911. Whether the person picking her up was a serial killer or a good Samaritan, I guess we'll never know unless they come forward or we find Maura.

I agree with most of your theories. Although, if she was hurt by a motorist, who picked her up, he didn't have to be a serial killer-- just an opportunist. Maybe he only killed once (Maura). Perhaps, he even regrets it or didn't enjoy it. He could have tried to take advantage of her and she resisted and things got out of hand, or maybe he felt he needed to kill her, so she wouldn't go to the police.
I think there are more of this type of men around. JMO

For some reason, placing myself in MM's shoes, if had seen a house under construction nearby - that's where I would go to spend the night...

I wonder if Scoops has any photos showing proximity of then house under construction to the where car crashed, and if it would have been visible to her...

So much as been made of the school bus driver being the last person to see her - but then there's the construction worker who came forward weeks (can't remember) later to say he saw whom he thought was her running some 5 miles (again, can't remember exact distance). Yet, in accounts I've read of that, it was said he did see the person face, and couldn't tell if was a man or woman...

Since it was his house that was under construction, interesting...

I just cannot picture anyone jogging/running that night after it had snowed that day and roads were plowed and most likely stones had been kicked up in the road, and with temps falling there would be spots freezing or black ice.. Does anyone know if it was a moon lite night? That might make a difference...

For some reason, placing myself in MM's shoes, if had seen a house under construction nearby - that's where I would go to spend the night...

I wonder if Scoops has any photos showing proximity of then house under construction to the where car crashed, and if it would have been visible to her...

So much as been made of the school bus driver being the last person to see her - but then there's the construction worker who came forward weeks (can't remember) later to say he saw whom he thought was her running some 5 miles (again, can't remember exact distance). Yet, in accounts I've read of that, it was said he did see the person face, and couldn't tell if was a man or woman...

Since it was his house that was under construction, interesting...

I just cannot picture anyone jogging/running that night after it had snowed that day and roads were plowed and most likely stones had been kicked up in the road, and with temps falling there would be spots freezing or black ice.. Does anyone know if it was a moon lite night? That might make a difference...

This is probably the best I can do.

bath, NH - Google Maps

When I visited the area, I stood on Bradley Hill Rd. and took pictures pointed back towards the accident site, but I never took any pictures of the contractor's house.

In this link, you can see a mailbox and if you look in the background you will see the a-frame house that the contractor built.

We will have to speculate where he had his trailer on his lot (while working on the house).

Maura's wreck wasn't far at all from this mail box and lot and she (likely headed east) so this would've been one of the first houses she encountered.

You can also see in this link the turn for Bradley hill Rd. and you will notice that the contractors house and lot were right at the corner intersection of Rt. 112 and Bradley hill Rd.

FWIW:

the contractor's house he built is not the white one in the picture.

You have to look for the a-frame house it is being hidden by the shade of the trees and it is a dark color. (when you first open up the picture link, look to your top right and you should see the a-frame house with a van parked beside it. this is the house that was being built when maura went missing.

Hello all. I am new to the site. But I have been following missing/lost for quite a while. I live in NH

In regard to the MM mystery –Let me first say that I believe she was taken against her will.

I know that a rag in a tailpipe will cause mechanical failure and I believe this led to the ‘accident’. MM crossed the path of a person who is responsible for her demise. I’ll stop short of using the ‘SK’ word.

I know that many people would like to get away from life’s issues—if only for a short while to a place of solitude. Some folks act on emotion. Some endure in different ways. MM was going to a place where she could get away from it all, I believe. That is the simple story.

I know via the weather service that in Haverhill, NH there was a high temp of 13 degrees F, with a low of 2 degrees on 2/9/04 and I know the survival rate for even the most seasoned athlete is very slim and that she would not attempt to run any distance. Especially since the airbag had deployed in her face—I’ve seen that result. It can be incapacitating. Just the thing to make her more vulnerable to who saw her last. (We don’t really know who that was, do we??). I believe it was a stranger with a disorganized agenda who was successful.

I believe that the longer one is missing more ideas are raised—that can be a good thing. LE/politics – with all due respect of course-- will never allow us to know what has become of many missing for reasons I won’t get into here.

I truly hope that the story of MM and the many others missing/murdered in VT, NH and the US will be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500