Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Forum Information & Esoterica > Board Software & Hardware

Notices

Board Software & Hardware Description of the systems that keep Websleuths going

Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Some of The Banner Ads on Right Side Slowing Things Down on Page (And A Possible Tip)

Hey All,

Sometimes a problem with the site is the moving banner ads on the right-side, which can cause sluggish browsing. What might help, at least for me using IE 8 is going under Tools/Settings and entering the site's URL to display in Compatibility Mode. Seems to be faster. I don't know how other browsers or how IE 9 reacts. But it seems to help.

Satch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Satch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Let's not ask for the Moon, we have the Stars

I use Firefox browser mostly and never see ads with it. Occasionally though, when I log in using IE, I'm always shocked at the amount of ads displayed. On the main page, before clicking into the forums section, the first page is considerably slow in loading and I'm sure it's caused by the ads, because it never happens when I use Firefox (95% of the time).

Thanks for the IE tip.

Big Brother and the Thought Police have arrived
1984 by George Orwell (1949)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoe Bogart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 PM

There are a couple of banner ads that still slow the board down, sometimes in a big way. When it happens again, I will note the sponsor ads that are showing up and note it in this thread. Thanks.

Satch
The Following User Says Thank You to Satch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Problems today,

A Party Supplies ad on the right hand side of the screen forced IE 8 to lock up. The scrolling "Helter Skelter" banner ad sadly is a resource hog. People have said try another browser, but my seven year old Dell, can't handle that. A fresh install of Windows and a Fresh Install of Firefox two years ago, completely froze my system. I tried Google Chrome, but had BSOD every three days or so, had to uninstall.

Would Admin consider smaller or non-moving banner ads? This is one of my favorite sites, but it is frustrating when it crashes because of the ads.

Satch
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Satch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM

This may be slightly OT for this thread, but didn't want to start a new one for an issue that may be unique to me. I've noticed for the last couple of weeks that there's like a white box covering the date/time for each post. Actually most of the top part is covered except the "alert" symbol. My daughter is convinced I caught something from the site (I use IE). I first noticed it here...and it's since carried over to another V -bulletin (hope I got that right) message board I post on. Any idea of why it may be doing this? When I access WS through Firefox it crashes more often than not. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM

The MotleyFool Banner ads at the top of the page were stopping the entire page from loading, it happened several times this morning and only seemed to happen with the Motleyfool ads loaded.

I fixed the problem by adding ad blocker to Firefox but thought I would mention it.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Nosey & proud of it :)

I'm so glad to see someone else have this problem! I suddenly cannot visit WS on my Kindle Fire because of that ad! It loads the ad and thats it.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Still having problems with the "Motley Fool" ads!! Using IE9. Stops loading the page after the ad.

HELP!!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 PM

I made the switch to google chrome, glad I did. I use ad blocker plus which was free. No problems what so-ever. I also run microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes for other protection.

<--Ad Free
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peliman View Post
I made the switch to google chrome, glad I did. I use ad blocker plus which was free. No problems what so-ever. I also run microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes for other protection.

<--Ad Free
I use IE8 exclusively and had to buy ad blocker plus but the $20 was well worth the money. If you use Firefox I believe Ad Blocker Plus is free??? I also use the free Malwarebytes and free SuperAntiSpyware, my antivirus is the free Avast. I have NO problem with WS unless there is a TON of members/guests on for a very active thread, and then it gets slower.
The Following User Says Thank You to MNlady For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNlady View Post
I use IE8 exclusively and had to buy ad blocker plus but the $20 was well worth the money. If you use Firefox I believe Ad Blocker Plus is free??? I also use the free Malwarebytes and free SuperAntiSpyware, my antivirus is the free Avast. I have NO problem with WS unless there is a TON of members/guests on for a very active thread, and then it gets slower.
You sound well protected but just read of someone on a smart phone and ipad having trouble so not sure how that works for them.

Didn't look for an ad blocker on IE8, I should.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm in it for the tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Lady View Post
Still having problems with the "Motley Fool" ads!! Using IE9. Stops loading the page after the ad.

HELP!!
Not just you - me, too. I have alerted the admins that handle the ads.

Email me
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Nosey & proud of it :)

I ended up buying Tapatalk for my Kindle and now I can get in just fine. Just thought id mention this for anyone else having problems that are using a kindle fire. Its $2.99 at Amazon.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM

Love my Tapatalk! So much that I hate to get on Websleuths on my work PC. I carry my iPad with me so I can look during the day on Tapatalk without the ads or distracting emoticons, etc.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
Not just you - me, too. I have alerted the admins that handle the ads.
any word on a fix? thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to jadejazzkayla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Wear Pink & Eat Cake ~ Lauren Giddings

Ugh, off to bed. Hopefully whatever the issue is will be fixed tomorrow. Thanks Adnoid!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Insomniac Extraordinaire

The motley fool ads are definitely the problems. I can try to get into a thread and 9 times out of 10 a motley fool ad is the only thing I get. GRRR, I hate those MF ads. Please do something. I'm not up on how to install adblock and such and need my kid to come do that. Until then, I am virtually locked out of WS. That is NOT a good place to be!

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html
The Following User Says Thank You to SwampMama For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Kind words do not cost much

I couldn't get on yesterday either because of the ads.

I downloaded this for free: (I have IE9)

http://simple-adblock.com/faq/internet-explorer-9/

I searched on google and this one is said to be for IE7, IE8 and IE9

http://simple-adblock.com/

It worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 AM

I remember now why I had to 'buy' adblock plus for IE8 (the one I use). This might have changed but at that time, the free one only gave you 200 blocks per day and then it would revert to seeing ads again until the next day. When I would come to WS in the evening, I'd only be on here a short time and I'd have used my 200 blocks~!!! So I paid $19.95 for unlimited ad blocks and got the registration for 2 computers. I think Firefox and some others might be free for unlimited blocks. Anyway, for those who downloaded the adblocker, if you begin to have ad problems again, it's probably that 200 ad limit. FYI
The Following User Says Thank You to MNlady For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 AM

Since this is ad related, I didn't want to start a new thread.
Today when I came on the site, there, next to the Note From The Websleuths Staff box, it said, "Thank you for your support - here are your ad-free pages!"
Thing is, I haven't paid for an ad-free account. I don't enjoy the ads, but I work around them.
Unless this is a temporary thing, I need to be taken off the ad-free list.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 AM

I don't know how it happened but this morning I've got ad-free pages too! I hope it continues and can just say, thank you, TY, TY!!

Got used to them after a while but sometimes the flashing caused my eyes to hurt....

ETA: I had a horrible time loading pages yesterday and staying signed in also....today no probs....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.........Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by Reader; 10-15-2012 at 07:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM

I feel like I've won the lottery! After having a heck of a time getting on the site this weekend, I awoke this morning to no ads and pages are loading super fast!
The Following User Says Thank You to mimi56 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Well darn! That didn't last long!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mimi56 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi56 View Post
Well darn! That didn't last long!!
Nope, but at least the forum is running and loading faster today....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.........Martin Luther King Jr.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 AM

FYI for those using IE, it is a good idea to have a second browser on your computer in case of problems. Firefox is free as as is their ad blocker software (which installed in like 1 minute and works perfectly).

I don't know if Kindle or Ipad users can download other free browsers but people with regular PC's can. I highly recommend it!